Kilkenny signs

His assists came in the first part of the season after that he fell away ... he didn't add many to the total after that (I know because this sad git looks at the stats in the programmes on my way home ... its a long trip) and ran out of steam in the last few months (ok he wasn't the only one).

It was the last few months that Porter and McDonald also fell away, if they aren't getting on the end of the crosses then Lidds can't really do much about it. I know everyone is entitled to their opinions but unless we get another quality winger in then i can't see how we can leave him out. I like Taylor but he doesn't cross the ball well consistantly and doesn't always get his head up to pick out passes, i think it's something he needs to work on this season. We have Ricketts and Davis who will be starting up front, two big lads over 6ft, and in Ricketts we have a player who will thrive on decent crosses into the box and Liddell is the man who will provide them.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kilkenny is a central midfield player not a winger. And he is not a better crosser of the ball than Liddell, Lidds puts quality balls into the box consistantly. Why buy a quality central midfield player and then play him out of position. We need some creativity in the middle of the park as well as out wide and Kilkenny will provide that.

No way. This is not how we are going to play, simple as that... we need to get away from this concept we need a central player whom everything goes through - it is just not true...

KK can play on the right - he did this numerous times when he played for us... and suggesting he has to only play in central midfield is just narrow minded... I am just consitently frusrated by people who cannot see that to win in this division you need to be solid as a rock in the middle, and have wingers and forward who are mobile, can interchange, and are a danger from all angles.... liddell and wellens made us preictable, and easy to beat... and Shez know this...

Stop looking for an identikit team from last season - it aint gonna happen... we do not need creativity in the middle - that is predictable - we need ball winners there... who feed things to the wingers and strikers to do the business....

Suggesting KK playing on the right means he is tied there is rubbish... he will be free to roam where he wants, and cause the damage we know he is capable of doing... as will taylor....

And i'm sorry, KK has more quality than lidds, purely cos he doesnt have to be stationary to produce quality.... KK will be mobile, and a better player, crosser, and general player than Lidds....

Forget this folorn hope to hang on to last years shape - it didnt work....

No way. This is not how we are going to play, simple as that... we need to get away from this concept we need a central player whom everything goes through - it is just not true...

KK can play on the right - he did this numerous times when he played for us... and suggesting he has to only play in central midfield is just narrow minded... I am just consitently frusrated by people who cannot see that to win in this division you need to be solid as a rock in the middle, and have wingers and forward who are mobile, can interchange, and are a danger from all angles.... liddell and wellens made us preictable, and easy to beat... and Shez know this...

Stop looking for an identikit team from last season - it aint gonna happen... we do not need creativity in the middle - that is predictable - we need ball winners there... who feed things to the wingers and strikers to do the business....

Suggesting KK playing on the right means he is tied there is rubbish... he will be free to roam where he wants, and cause the damage we know he is capable of doing... as will taylor....

And i'm sorry, KK has more quality than lidds, purely cos he doesnt have to be stationary to produce quality.... KK will be mobile, and a better player, crosser, and general player than Lidds....

Forget this folorn hope to hang on to last years shape - it didnt work....

Theres more than one way to win promotion IMO. This board is all about peoples opinions, some agree some don't. I personally don't think Kilkenny is a winger, never really seen him play effectively there, where i have seen great performances from him in the middle of the park. Im not suggesting we need the same tactics last year i just believe Kilkenny is effectively a central midfielder who can see and pick a pass either left or right, forward or back. To play him out wide would minimise that ability. He is also very dangerous attacking direct at goal and isnt afraid to shoot, somethign that is a lot harder to do when pushed out wide. I think Kilkenny will be predominantly a central midfielder unless Sheridans arm is twisted through suspensions and injuries, plus i think Davies will be ahead of Kilkenny for that spot... Just my opinion!

I'm really impressed with what TTA's have done for us. This is a great signing. My source in Birmingham tells me Cardiff, Ipswich and Southampton were all sniffing round him so we've obviously offered him a decent deal. Apparently, Kilkenny had a bust up with Bruce in Germany and refused to go on as sub for the last five minutes of a game.They've kissed and made up but Kilkenny is looking for a permanent move in January (hopefully to us), as he's sick of being constantly overlooked. It does show that he has the potential to spit his dummy out but you do need some players with attitude IMO and I'm sure Shez & Co can handle him.

i for one never saw kilkenny play out wide when he was with us last time. kilkenny played in the middle and for one away game (can't remember against who), talbot played one up front with kilkenny playing a very attacking midfield role (after kilkenny telling talbot this was his favourite position). although i'm not a fan of liddell, i think based on the current squad, he has to start as he adds natural balance to the team. its gonna be 4-4-2, with taylor and liddell on the flanks and the midfield pairing being either kalala or allot with kilkenny. if i had to pick one who'll play, i'll go for allot - simply for the factg that we paid a fee for him.

i can see this argument kicking off with the strikers in a couple of weeks....who's the front two gonna be when hughes is released?