would be good if we could have a scoreboard that worked to, flash up a line i.e OH WHEN THE BLUES which could start the process

We don't need a scoreboard to tell us when to sing! :huh::sign0003::disappointed::ohno::nnnng::shock::toilet::thumbsdown::omg:

It would be useful for announcements that can't be heard at the front of the Chaddy, such as details for the Carlisle tickets :wink: , or to get income from advertisers and from fans' personal announcements.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need a scoreboard to tell us when to sing! :huh::sign0003::disappointed::ohno::nnnng::shock::toilet::thumbsdown::omg:

It would be useful for announcements that can't be heard at the front of the Chaddy, such as details for the Carlisle tickets :wink: , or to get income from advertisers and from fans' personal announcements.

sorry diego this was the point i was making before, the chaddy end i feel do need a kick up the bum sometimes especially like yesterday.

i dont think it was that bad of an idea

sorry diego this was the point i was making before, the chaddy end i feel do need a kick up the bum sometimes especially like yesterday.

i dont think it was that bad of an idea

I agree re the need for a kick up the bum, but those who refuse to sing will be even more determined not to join in if told to do so by the scoreboard.

You dont need a scoreboard to tell you when and what to chant. It's pretty tacky and isnt what football chanting is all about. The spontaneous (sp??) yell from one lone soul which will trigger into a mass of voices by the second line. Drums, like the one at B.P arent what are needed at BP. It's more people willing to join in. Drums and other assorted instruments are also very tacky. Unless they can be played in time and create an atmosphere. Ala the Wednesday/England band. Though even they have died a death compared to what they used to be like.

Can you really see people staring at BP looking at the scoreboard and going, "oh, oh when the blues is coming on the scoreboard now. Well if I have too." followed by the most half arsed rendition you're ever likely to hear.

You're either going to join in chants or not. I dont understand those who sing at away matches but sit like lemon's at BP, arms folded and lips firmly together. Why show passion when at a different ground but not show the same at B.P? It doesnt make sense?

It's not hard to start a chant. Anyone can do it. Heck. Even I can do it. It's just about timing following whats happening on the pitch (or in the Paddock's case. The Mini Hitlers in Flourescent jackets actions).

I can only remember a handful of clubs who when we've gone there, we've been drowned out by the home support. Cardiff and QPR are the two who instantly spring to mind. The latter in that Playoff game was probably the best atmosphere I can recall. Cardiff at home are just as good as they are on the road. Fairly imtidating and they certainly know how to stoke up an atmosphere.

Search Clips on Youtube for FC UNITED. You see them at a similar ground to Boundary Park. (Gigg Lane). Yet the atmosphere at FC United is ten time's what it is at Boundary Park. For inventiveness and for noise.

It's a suggestion at least, but if you need a scoreboard to get you to sing for the team you supposedly have a major passion for. You may as well not bother. Far to many people at BP on matchday's seem too scared of what the people who dont go away will think if they let of the steam and roar with the passion they do at away grounds up and down the country. Towards the back end of last season, Myself, My brother and one or two others I sat near made our way down to the opposite end of the Paddock heading for the bar. As we got to the steps, Latics shooting towards the Chaddy End. We let off a chant hoping it'd spur others to join in. You could count the people who joined in on one hand. The amount of people who turned round and gave such filthy looks, you'd of thought we'd gone and spat at all of them in the face could be counted on far more.

What's the difference between a game at Boundary Park and one with latics playing away at any other ground in this league?? Answers on a postcard.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

You dont need a scoreboard to tell you when and what to chant. It's pretty tacky and isnt what football chanting is all about. The spontaneous (sp??) yell from one lone soul which will trigger into a mass of voices by the second line.

Can you really see people staring at BP looking at the scoreboard and going, "oh, oh when the blues is coming on the scoreboard now. Well if I have too." followed by the most half arsed rendition you're ever likely to hear.

You're either going to join in chants or not. I dont understand those who sing at away matches but sit like lemon's at BP, arms folded and lips firmly together. Why show passion when at a different ground but not show the same at B.P? It doesnt make sense?

It's not hard to start a chant. Anyone can do it. Heck. Even I can do it. It's just about timing following whats happening on the pitch (or in the Paddock's case. The Mini Hitlers in Flourescent jackets actions).

I can only remember a handful of clubs who when we've gone there, we've been drowned out by the home support. Cardiff and QPR are the two who instantly spring to mind. The latter in that Playoff game was probably the best atmosphere I can recall. Cardiff at home are just as good as they are on the road. Fairly imtidating and they certainly know how to stoke up an atmosphere.

Search Clips on Youtube for FC UNITED. You see them at a similar ground to Boundary Park. (Gigg Lane). Yet the atmosphere at FC United is ten time's what it is at Boundary Park. For inventiveness and for noise.

It's a suggestion at least, but if you need a scoreboard to get you to sing for the team you supposedly have a major passion for. You may as well not bother. Far to many people at BP on matchday's seem too scared of what the people who dont go away will think if they let of the steam and roar with the passion they do at away grounds up and down the country. Towards the back end of last season, Myself, My brother and one or two others I sat near made our way down to the opposite end of the Paddock heading for the bar. As we got to the steps, Latics shooting towards the Chaddy End. We let off a chant hoping it'd spur others to join in. You could count the people who joined in on one hand. The amount of people who turned round and gave such filthy looks, you'd of thought we'd gone and spat at all of them in the face could be counted on far more.

What's the difference between a game at Boundary Park and one with latics playing away at any other ground in this league?? Answers on a postcard.

i am trying to make a point and instead of being diplomatic the singing from the chaddy end is NAFF with a capital N this is the only way i though they may start - as stupid as an idea it was i dont know any other way this will get the crowd going cause nothing seems to!

I agree with the fact that the away support is tremendous but dies a death athome games and i dont know why you are spot on that we shouldnt need a scoreboard to tell us but please cans omeone then before and during the game wake the other 90% up especially if we are only one goal up, drawing or god forbid losing

once again it was a naff idea but something or someone needs to get us going

Edited by neiladamsheadband

I can only remember a handful of clubs who when we've gone there, we've been drowned out by the home support. Cardiff and QPR are the two who instantly spring to mind.

That's it though. You say we've only been drowned out by those two. So it isn't just Latics suffering from this is it. Pretty much every other club we visit seems to suffer from exactly the same problem. I wouldn't say it's a Latics thing. It's a football thing in general.

That's it though. You say we've only been drowned out by those two. So it isn't just Latics suffering from this is it. Pretty much every other club we visit seems to suffer from exactly the same problem. I wouldn't say it's a Latics thing. It's a football thing in general.

Definately is a football thing in general.

United at home are shocking. Yet away *through gritted teeth* they are probably the best in the land.

Same goes for Citeh who since the change from Maine Road are struggling with any atmosphere at the council house. Most City fans will tell you it's not a patch on what it was.

There is no reason why we cant be a Cardiff, QPR, Portsmouth or FC United.

United at home are shocking. Yet away *through gritted teeth* they are probably the best in the land.

Same goes for Citeh who since the change from Maine Road are struggling with any atmosphere at the council house. Most City fans will tell you it's not a patch on what it was.

100% agree Rocky - that there is no reason why we cant be - we have gone to away games and regardless of the result during the match it is non-stop singing its amazing the away support.

how can we get this going at home? so wish we could

The thing is with people saying the Chaddy end dont sing, is that they just cant hear.

I sat in the main stand for 7 years and never heard the Chaddy end properly apart from a very faint song once every home game lasting 30 seconds.

Since ive been in the Chaddy end the noise in there has been great at times, very loud at kick off etc but yet when i was in the main stand i heard none of this, i was expecting no chants to be sung when i went into the chaddy end for the first game of the season last year, the chaddy end do sing loud, most of the chaddy end clapping along to Sheridan's Blue and White Army just before kick off is sometimes as loud as at away games, the noise just doesnt travel anywhere.

think this has been discussed before - and set a discussion about swapping ends as the acoustics are much better in the rocky road end, but gather that would not be even considered, i sit in the old ford stand as was top tier right near the chaddy end so i can hear when they do and dont sing and sorry but is is a small minority that do for the majority of the time, and a large majority for the minority of the time. sorry but it needs to improve

you can still hear the away side better.

At the risk of repeating myself, here's my postcard:

Away there is the willingness to get involved in the 'us against the world' scenario that results from travelling a distance together and drinking together before the game - sometimes including a singing rehearsal in the pub! Away games are a great day out - a great social occasion - and there is a greater sense of being part of the Latics' cause than sitting at BP with the familiarity which often brings contempt.

think this has been discussed before - and set a discussion about swapping ends as the acoustics are much better in the rocky road end, but gather that would not be even considered, i sit in the old ford stand as was top tier right near the chaddy end so i can hear when they do and dont sing and sorry but is is a small minority that do for the majority of the time, and a large majority for the minority of the time. sorry but it needs to improve

you can still hear the away side better.

The Rochdale Road end having better accoustics theory was disproved last season when the Chaddy End was closed for the Paint Pot game against Chesterfield - its just an urban myth. The away fans in there sound louder because they are all prepared to sing, just like Latics' fans are prepared to do at away matches. We're going round in circles here!

It's no solution fans in other parts of BP telling those of us who sing in the Chaddy that we need to improve, because you cant hear us - if you're willing to sing, you're very welcome to join us - the more the LOUDER!

100% agree Rocky - that there is no reason why we cant be - we have gone to away games and regardless of the result during the match it is non-stop singing its amazing the away support.

how can we get this going at home? so wish we could

open the small section of the rre and have it as a singing stand,then we'd give the away fans a run for thier money.ktf.

open the small section of the rre and have it as a singing stand,then we'd give the away fans a run for thier money.ktf.

For years I've been laughed at for suggesting passionately and repeatedly that there should be singing and non-singing areas of BP, where like-minded fans could choose to congregate.

Here's a link to when the idea was to be tried at Leicester - it gives a flavour of what reasons the Club would give for not having the singing section too near the away fans - I don't know what the outcome of the trial was at Leicester.

http://www.leicester.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=52158

At the risk of repeating myself, here's my postcard:

Away there is the willingness to get involved in the 'us against the world' scenario that results from travelling a distance together and drinking together before the game - sometimes including a singing rehearsal in the pub! Away games are a great day out - a great social occasion - and there is a greater sense of being part of the Latics' cause than sitting at BP with the familiarity which often brings contempt.

The thing about singing in the pubs pre game only at away's. White Hart last season there was pretty much non stop anti Moore abuse for the tranmere game for a good hour and half. Blackpool in the playoffs the place, in particular the tap room was absolutely rocking to the tune of oh when the blues.

A sizeable minority manage to take the away mentality into games at BP without any problem. There isnt really an excuse other than people either cant be arsed or are too scared to act like they do away so they dont upset the victor meldrew's that populate parts of Boundary Park. I know not everyone sings, though I have never quite understood why people in the past have had go's at people for singing.

Home games can be a good social occasion. I had a change of scenary yesterday and went in the Clayton Green with a sizeable number I know for a pre match drink with them. The first face I was greeted by was a lad i'd not seen since Primary school who I thought had stopped going. At the pub, on the way and in the ground. I had the same random chats with the same people I do at away's up and down the country. Sat/Stood around the same people arms outstetched and belting songs out and winding the opposition players up as per usual. The only difference being the journey to and from the ground.

Like has already been said. A minority of us manage it (One section of the Chaddy - The Far Paddock Block near the RRE and the Two upper Blocks near the RRE, as well as the very sparce hardy souls dotted elsewhere). The rest seem to have been gagged.

The Rochdale Road end having better accoustics theory was disproved last season when the Chaddy End was closed for the Paint Pot game against Chesterfield - its just an urban myth.

Chesterfield in the tin pot trophy was hardly the game to finally decide that it's "all a myth". There was definately a large number of 'singers' missing and it's hardly the game to stoke up passion in even the most passionate of supporters. Add to that the jobsworth treatment by the Stewards which away fans dont suffer at BP and it was always going to end in a massive failure.

You can say shift to the RRE all you like, but far too many people in the Chaddy are stuck in the mentality that it's tradition, despite the fact the stand and all it offers is on it's arse - which means it's always going to be a no-go because the club cant afford to run the risk of upsetting people. Though I dont see how switching to far superior facilities can be anything to be upset about. Until/If the NSM stand gets knocked down then there's no demand for anyone in charge to allow Latics fans in the RRE regularly.

Another thing which wouldnt please Chaddy Enders, is the fact and i'm sure the dibble would agree. Having Latics fans in the RRE and away fans in the Chaddy would mean it is far easier for them to police. The club would save money on Stewarding as there wouldnt be the need to have half of the ten or so they do in the bottom corner of the Paddock. Not to mention you also wouldnt witness scene's such as after the Blackpool playoff and Swansea on Saturday directly after the game.

Question. A Young 5 year old goes to his first game. See's a stadium filled with young and old singing away with smiles on there faces creating an atmosphere resembling that one you do at Fratton Park.

The Next week, his dad takes him to another game at a different side. Young and Old - very few of whom singing and not creating much of an atmosphere. The Majority of the time it resembles a library.

Which is he going to choose??

Who on here has never once uttered the words how impressed they are with the noise made at the likes of Fratton Park, Pompey and that's only going off what i've seen on the t.v.

You can say shift to the RRE all you like, but far too many people in the Chaddy are stuck in the mentality that it's tradition, despite the fact the stand and all it offers is on it's arse - which means it's always going to be a no-go because the club cant afford to run the risk of upsetting people. Though I dont see how switching to far superior facilities can be anything to be upset about. Until/If the NSM stand gets knocked down then there's no demand for anyone in charge to allow Latics fans in the RRE regularly.

Who on here has never once uttered the words how impressed they are with the noise made at the likes of Fratton Park, Pompey and that's only going off what i've seen on the t.v.

One simple disadvantage of the RRE is the climate. The prevailing cold wind blows into the RRE - it's only on about two or three occasions each season that it blows into the Chaddy. When the sun is shining the fans in the RRE have to shield their eyes.

Agree wholeheartedly about the magnificent Pompey fans, but the very fact that everyone knows how good they are proves the point that memorable home crowds are very few and far between.

i sit in the top corner of the chaddy with abwt 20 of my mates and always singin throughout the game along with the main chaddy end lot. away days are always going to seem louder than home games because of the nature of them. swansea last year sticks out for me that we were very loud all game. and there was only around 400 of us if i recall.

KTF

One simple disadvantage of the RRE is the climate. The prevailing cold wind blows into the RRE - it's only on about two or three occasions each season that it blows into the Chaddy. When the sun is shining the fans in the RRE have to shield their eyes.

Agree wholeheartedly about the magnificent Pompey fans, but the very fact that everyone knows how good they are proves the point that memorable home crowds are very few and far between.

The view is crap, the rake of the seats is all wrong, and the leg room for a big un is none existant. The view the Chaddy got of the winner on Saturday was fantastic and wouldn't be replicated at t'other end.

Its not about "stuck in the mentality that it's tradition" its about going to the match and watching it from where I and every other Chaddy Ender wants to, its our choice thats all, WE like it. I'm sick and tired of all this RRE garbage, when they opened it for trial periods in the last few seasons hardly anybody used it, or like the lads in front of me tried it and at the next game said "never again". I've said it before and I'll say it again for a new stand the RRE is rubbish, thing is loads of people say they don't like it, but can't quite put their finger on why there is just something about it.

the leg room for a big un is none existant.

This is absolutely true, and I hope the new stands that are planned will allow more room. It's impossible for me to sit in the RRE without my knees pressing into the shoulders of the person sat in front!

Unfortunately space costs money, and I'm sure the new stands will be designed with a similar seat pitch... :angry:

I think the trials in the RRE have largely failed because only a handfull have moved which has stopped any atmosphere in there being created. A true test might come if/when the Lookers is knocked down and that noisy lot (of which I am one) that sit up near the RRE move into there until the new stand is completed. It will we interesting to see then what type of noise 1000 - 1500 true fans (i.e. not ones on freebies like quid for a kid) can create.

Rocky, that's not gonna happen until more people get up off their lazy arses (can I say arse without being censored) and start singing.

I sit smack bang in the middle of the section of singers in the Chaddy end and on Saturday I could barely talk by the time I came out of the game. Infact I was bellowing so loudly at one point that I made myself dizzy and had to stop for a minute.

Problem is that I reckon there are only 40 or 50 fans who are prepared to do this on a regular basis.

The majority of people complaining on about the atmosphere being pants are the ones who sit arms folded and tight lipped, yet want others to make the noise.

Lisa sits way up in the top right hand corner of the Chaddy as you look from the pitch and I sit with her occasionally for cup games etc and I'm genuinely shocked when I see how many people aren't prepared to get involved when that section to the left of the goal are giving it all they can.

Makes my friggin blood boil! :angry:

Just checking the small print to see if arse is ok... :deal2:

Totally agree with you Dan as you know I sat there last year, I did enjoy the Paddock Sat simple down to the fact that everyone around me joins in. Unfortunately we became more successful last year the atmosphere at some of the 'local'ish' aways changed and more arm folders appeared, arguements about seat number allocations, moaning ... got rather petty at times.... Crewe was one of the worst away days ever with Latics.

Just checking the small print to see if arse is ok... :deal2:

Totally agree with you Dan as you know I sat there last year, I did enjoy the Paddock Sat simple down to the fact that everyone around me joins in. Unfortunately we became more successful last year the atmosphere at some of the 'local'ish' aways changed and more arm folders appeared, arguements about seat number allocations, moaning ... got rather petty at times.... Crewe was one of the worst away days ever with Latics.

To be fair Mark, I think the Crewe debacle was primarily down to the bunch of :trollarse: 's who were masquerading as Latics players on the pitch that day.

That said I did have a stand up slanging match with one Berkeley behind me who was spouting nothing but abuse!

To be fair Mark, I think the Crewe debacle was primarily down to the bunch of :trollarse: 's who were masquerading as Latics players on the pitch that day.

That said I did have a stand up slanging match with one Berkeley behind me who was spouting nothing but abuse!

The Crewe away game was all about Muppetts !

There were a few on the Pitch and a lot more in the Stand ... Some were shouting such drivel I'd have expected them to be on either medication or drugs.

" I come every week so why cant I shout at the players !!! " so why are you shouting at Marc Tierney he left months ago !

" The are all useless anyway, and they are all Spineess " - :angry: