League Cup - Mansfield

Wouldnt mind us resting one or two players personally.

---------------Crossley

Eardley - Thompson - Stam?? - Giddings

Liddell - Kalala - Allott - Taylor

--------Smalley - Ricketts

Subs.

Youth Team Keeper - Josh

Trotman

Ashley Kelly

McDonald

Davies

--

League is priority. Think that team should beat Mansfield at home

from a personal point of view I don't care about the cups (we're not going to win one). Rest our best players for the cup games and play a full strength team for every league game.

Yeh but it's the Cup runs that excite fans and bring instant national recognition when we knock out one of the big boys, or even Citeh! :grin:

A good run in either the League or FA Cup might result in more bums on seats for the all-important league games.

You'll be suggesting squad rotation next! :grin:

Now there's a thought.

I just dont see why we should run the risk of playing the likes of Kilkenny, Gregan and Davies when there is more than adequate replacements waiting in the wings. It's why you have a squad afterall. It is Latics as well and it'd be just our luck for one of them to get cropped. Hardly what you want against a League 2 side at home, is it??

It's games like this that give the likes of Smalley, Trotman and Ashley Kelly to get first team experience, with the pressure off slightly and see/show what they can do rather than being thrown in the deep end when injuries take their toll. Which knowing Latics, they probably will do.

i would be good to use this to see if certain other plays and players playing in different positions to see if people could possible play in certain postions, we have all had our own thoughts but can anyone else play right side midfield apart from lids or left side apart from taylor for example

would like to see ricketts, kilkenny and thompson play only because they looked a little tired at the end and the more match play the better, i think whoever plays on tues we will win and would be good to try one or two things.

Edited by neiladamsheadband

I just dont see why we should run the risk of playing the likes of Kilkenny, Gregan and Davies when there is more than adequate replacements waiting in the wings. It's why you have a squad afterall.

Totally agree Rocky,

Rest the main players and bring them back for the final at Wembley (sorry, thats the red wine kicking in), but the Paint Pot Cup and the Carling Cup aren't money spinners, whereas the FA Cup can reep rich financial awards.

Rather see a fit Crossley, Gregan, Thompson, JP, Killer, and Davies run out at Brunton Park next Saturday than run the risk of injury. Then again, the way the young lads have performed in pre-season, give them some meaningful experience in a serious encounter.

Think it is also important to keep giving Stam games here and there. Better to keep him match fit, if the worst comes to worst Gregan or Thompson could pick up a nasty injury and then Stam wouldn't be match fit!!!

Also another good run out for Ricketts is needed best keep his tired legs used to long periods of matches. Maybe rest a few regulars but not total squad rotation...After all we SHOULD beat Mansfield. *SHOULD = Never usually do :lol:

Edited by mattyoafc

Tis true Diego, but alas unlikely

Maybe unlikely but we have done remarkably well at getting TV games in both cups over the last few seasons which has provided much needed revenue. Ok, mainly this is down to luck but you have to be still in it. Personally, i would like to see us put up a strong line up against Mansfield. There's still work to be done on match fitness, to experiment and gel the team and for Shez to work out what his strongest line up looks like.

I would start with Davies - pace scares most teams and then if all is going well, bring on subs to close the game out.

Guest sheridans_world

Rest the main players?!

Its the second game of the season, they are still finding their sharpness and still learning how to work with each other as a team.

If anything an unchanged team should be fielded! Mansfield are struggling for strikers at the moment, get the first team lads in there, win convincingly and then be ready for a tough test at Carlisle and at home to Bristol Rovers.

Resting players... seasons days old and talk of resting players.... BAH :rant.sml:

Rest the main players?!

Its the second game of the season, they are still finding their sharpness and still learning how to work with each other as a team.

If anything an unchanged team should be fielded! Mansfield are struggling for strikers at the moment, get the first team lads in there, win convincingly and then be ready for a tough test at Carlisle and at home to Bristol Rovers.

Resting players... seasons days old and talk of resting players.... BAH :rant.sml:

Totally agree my friend! hence why we are pasting them... and the confidence this team is gaining in pasting the stags, will only do us good before the weekend...

The longer Ricketts lasts today, the better for him and the club... and a clean sheet would do us the world of good... as will another practice at 4-3-1-2 ....

Get in NK, get in KK... 2-0.. in your cup final.....!

Just wait til you all see Smalley's sitter!

Good run out for the boys, Mansfield showed little promise until a brief period in the second half, but apart from that the team looked good for the win.

Crossley. Did ok, not really tested defence stood up really well to protect him.

Eardley. Seems to have lost form recently, think he needs a stint on the sidelines when Lomax gets fit, didnt do too bad, but had nothing drastic to do.

Thompson. Seems to get better, has a great awareness of where the ball is going, and cut out many through balls.

Gregan. Worked hard and kept Crossley safe, had a few rash moments, but controlled the defence well.

Giddings. Very impressed, got forward well should we keep him longer than a month i will be very happy.

Lidds. Showed what we needed for the second half on Sat, kept the left back busy.

Kilkenny. Never seems to lose the ball, and finished well for the goal through a packed area.

Kalala. Covers well and can get up for headers well, i still prefer Allott to him

Allott. Fantastic tackles even though he lost a few ball and passed to the oppo, he chased them down to get them back.

Ricketts. Worked hard for the team, gets into good positions but didnt seem to get fed the ball.

Davies. MOM runs and runs and runs, took their defence on superbly and was unlucky on numerous occasions and when he finally scored it must have been a weight off his shoulder.

Subs.

Taylor. Made a few good runs, nowt special.

Smalley. HAHA davies ripped the defence to shreds, and when it was easier to score from 6-8 yards he put it wide, made up for it a couple of minutes later when Davies did exactly the same.

Macca. Erm he was on a few minutes didnt do much.

Smalley. HAHA davies ripped the defence to shreds, and when it was easier to score from 6-8 yards he put it wide, made up for it a couple of minutes later when Davies did exactly the same.

Came back to him with loads of pace on it. The rebound off the post caught him a bit flat footed and he cork screwed it wide with his first touch of the game. I have seen us miss easier chances.

Second touch wasn't bad though!

KtF,

Derek.

Unfortunatly I was working tonight, so I wasn't able to make the game! Can anybody give me a quick rundown on how we played? Obviously well, but how well?

Cheers. :wink:

The defence looked more assured the midfield definately ran things, and Davies was a constant threat!