Players you hated

Agree about the dislike for Sharp.

When we were sat in the team's hotel in Ancona waiting for the coach to take us to the stadium, we were talking to Colin Harvey. Then oafc_ok went to the loo. When he came back Sharp had arrived and sat in oafc_ok's seat. You should have seen the look on oafc_ok's face when he returned - that dislike of Sharp, which he had been surpressing, came swelling to the surface! :lol:

Now, I'm not one to be abrasive :wink:, but Graeme Sharp brought on a sort of tourettes in me - saw him outside the club shop once when he was manager, and he said "Hello". I must have looked like a nice unassuming 14 yr old girl, but for some reason, I felt the need to call him a Wayne Kerr and walk off :D

got to agree with all the windarse comments fat useless turd best moment for me last season him trying to out muscle greegan left him lying on his arse wingin at the ref priceless ! speshley as greegan walked off brushing him self down like he was dealing with some dust hahahahah

This thread is diverting into players we just hate, rather than ones that we hated then signed for us.

But G Sharp - disagree. A class player at BP in my opinion and very underated - he was out for a while whilst we were in the top division and the results showed it. He hled the ball up, and brought players into the game incredibly well and helped the rest of the team.

Still - that miss near the end of the semi-final.....he would have been a LEGEND if he'd have put it 6 inches t'other way...

But G Sharp - disagree. A class player at BP in my opinion and very underated - he was out for a while whilst we were in the top division and the results showed it. He hled the ball up, and brought players into the game incredibly well and helped the rest of the team.

This is the crux of the debate re: Sharp. Those who liked him claim he held the ball up and brought players into the game. Those who didn't like him claimed he didn't take the responsibility a player of his ability and experience should, but merely took the easy option every time of laying the ball off to someone else.

I'm very firmly of the second opinion and think he saw Latics as one last payday, taking the money for very little effort. Thanks to Joe Royle's recommendation he got the chance to extend this payday as Manager, a position for which his only qualification appeared to be that he owned an expensive looking coat! The only time I ever sang Graeme Sharp's Blue and White Army was Genoa away. This was by far the coldest I have ever been at a football match and we jumped up and down and sang for the whole of the match, just to keep warm. Apparently, according to the locals, Juve had been there the previous week but 150 Latics made more noise than Juventus had!

This is the crux of the debate re: Sharp. Those who liked him claim he held the ball up and brought players into the game. Those who didn't like him claimed he didn't take the responsibility a player of his ability and experience should, but merely took the easy option every time of laying the ball off to someone else.

I am definitely in the former camp - its a while back now, but I seem to recall Sharp being out for 10 games due to injury and Latics form during that period was awful. I really believe he did a great job for us.

Not the most charsimatic of players I'll grant you, and a terrible choice for manager, but in terms of his input to the team - worth it. I think we'd have stayed up that season if he wasn't injured for those games.

What about that Rob Scott signed by Ronnie Moore. Absolutely useless and it was obvious from day 1. Forever injured and was equally useless in a variety of positions.

Also that centre half signed by Warnock. Dougie something....Australian. Another who was forever injured. Remember watching a pre match kick-about at Wrexham and Warnock and his staff were throwing him balls to see how far he could hoof it. The object of the exercise seemed to be to try and clear the stands. A footballing centre half he wasn't.

Thinking about it, we've had some rubbish over the years. We are always told as kids that the chances of being a professional footballer are minimal and only the very best get chosen. They must have to go through all these schools of excellence etc and work with the best coaches............and yet Branston gets through. How does that happen ?

Not sure that I can hate any Latics player. But for uselessness, can any of you remember George McVitie? Used to get a great cheer when he came on cos we knew we were in for a laugh!

As for players from other teams it has to be Mark Hughes. Will never forgive him!

KtF

Our beautiful game really is all about opinions isn't it. I thought George McVitie was a very decent player for us. (Right winger if I remember correctly). He scored a very good goal away at Bristol Rovers on BBC Match of the Day over the Easter period when we stuffed Southport home and away over the same weekend. Those results sorted the season out for us and unless my memory is playing me up (again) we won the title by one point?????

Our beautiful game really is all about opinions isn't it. I thought George McVitie was a very decent player for us. (Right winger if I remember correctly). He scored a very good goal away at Bristol Rovers on BBC Match of the Day over the Easter period when we stuffed Southport home and away over the same weekend. Those results sorted the season out for us and unless my memory is playing me up (again) we won the title by one point?????

I'm not saying he didn't score a few goals, he just seemed to have more comedy moments than most. If you're refering to the 73-74 season he did score against Bristol Rovers, and got 9 in total that season. As you say we then went on to win the ttitle by one point from Bristol Rovers as well.

KtF

Edited by lincoln_latic

Also that centre half signed by Warnock. Dougie something....Australian. Another who was forever injured. Remember watching a pre match kick-about at Wrexham and Warnock and his staff were throwing him balls to see how far he could hoof it. The object of the exercise seemed to be to try and clear the stands. A footballing centre half he wasn't.

Hodgson, remember him well - one of Warnocks bunch of travelling thugs. Hated that Paul Reid he brought too, talented player but an absolute scumbag

Hated Craig Davies when he played against us last year :(

Guest amoweb
Hodgson, remember him well - one of Warnocks bunch of travelling thugs. Hated that Paul Reid he brought too, talented player but an absolute scumbag

Hated Craig Davies when he played against us last year :(.

I thought that Clegg did very well in one spell, (think it was the season after that summer) when we started away to Sheff Wed.

Other than that he was bobbins

Players I hate, wow where do I start:-

Most hated player of all time (ever) Dennis Wise argumentative good for nothing midget,extremely overrated as a player, real wind up merchant with next to no talent, it is the saddest comment I can make about any English manager that Wise actually got an England cap (Graham 'Turnip Head' Taylor) I think.

Robbie Savage for all the above reasons except he's not a midget and he's not English (thankfully).

As already mentioned by someone Dean Windass, nowhere near the player he thinks he is (fat git), hated when he equalised for Bradford a couple of seasons ago at BP last game of the season (a goal that would have sent us down had we not scored again to win 2-1) his celebration nearly caused a riot (fat git).

Lee Trundle, if he was as good as he thinks he is he would be playing in the Premiership, but he doesn't and he never will.

Used to absolutely hate Lee Dixon (and still do), he thought him and Arsenal had a god given right to win, he hated it when Rick holden got the better of him.

That will do for now but I've barely got started.

Hated Craig Davies when he played against us last year :(

Dougie Hodgson was a star. Might have been slightly lacking on the talent front, but 100% commited to the cause.

Now Lee Sinnott was a different matter. Never a player lacking so much in enthusiasm for the club have I seen in our colours.

Paul Reid I hated after he did the dirty on us.

Edited by OldhamSheridan