Fans' Expectations!

After the final whistle on saturday, making our way down the steps and this guy (not a young lad either!) turned to me and said.

"Well that's the worst performance i've ever seen!!" :sign0094: YOU WHAT??

my quick response.

"you haven't been going long then have you?"

Was he at the same game, granted first half we were pretty poor, though both teams were really. But worst perf ever!?!?

Is he in a minority on this one...i really hope so!

IMO the first half was dreadful and it was always going to be a pen or something to get a goal. But for me we played really well in the second half and there was only one team in it, we just lacked quality with the final ball. I do think however Eardley needs a break from the 1st team as he seems to have totally lost his confidence; we all thought left back was a problem area, but it looks like right back is too.

After the final whistle on saturday, making our way down the steps and this guy (not a young lad either!) turned to me and said.

my quick response.

Was he at the same game, granted first half we were pretty poor, though both teams were really. But worst perf ever!?!?

First Half was exceptionally poor from both sides, the referee was a real 'homer' and the penalty decision was laughable. Carlisle 2nd half were happy with what they had and made no attempt to force a 2nd goal. Still unsure as to whether Davies was fouled, he seemd to go down too easy for me. But the worst part of the day was the lad , late teens early twenties sat 5 or 6 rows behind us that racially abused Neil Eardley, which really wound me up. You know who you are you long haired so and so, but to stand there proudly wearing your new blue strip and a tangerine scarf, then abuse a 19 year old kid in the way you did was lowest of the low, then to act all big and hard with the middle-aged guy who challenged you was laughable. Soon backed down when someone younger and bigger had a go didn't you! Cretin!

my quick response.

I wasn't at the game on Saturday, but I nominate Brentford away 2004/5 (?) (second half torrential rain) as the worst performance of recent times. Got really wet, too. :disappointed: Bloke needs to notch up a few of those before loose talk about "worst performance ever" IMO. By all accounts, we were unlucky to not get something on Saturday. Against Brentford that time, we were lucky to avoid attracting the attention of the trade descriptions people because of our non-resemblance to a football team.

To make matters worse, there was some aggro between fans and between some fans and the GMP about That Flag.

We are not as bad as that now.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

Agreed ghost, i think we need to remember he is only still 18 but at the moment every pass he tries finds touch or an opposition player and his head drops. A couple of games out would be good for him, but with Stam and Lomax injured, unfortunately he'll have to try and play through this spell. Shez saw it towards the end of the season, when he dropped him at Blackpool.

I just hope he doesn't think of playing Macdonald in there though!!!

I can confirm it had nowt to do with the ref first half (other than the penalty being a biggie in terms of the result) both sides were indeed a very poor advert for league one football. In fact Latics looked very poor with their passing and lack of football played. The second half whilst not setting the world alight with penalty box, heart in mouth action, Latics slowly took control of the game with Carlisle defending in numbers. Carlisle sat back deeper and deeper till being content in defending from their penalty box pulling 10 men behind the ball and only in brief moments did they go forward. Yet for all Latics possession second half the Carlisle keeper was tested once and that being from a possible own goal, after a cross and a pinball deflection from a defender. That said had Taylor elected to shoot on the one occasion the over lap player was produced that sad statistic may have altered. As for our penalty shout, I've seen them given however Davis did go down seemingly to easy. Yet after the prem penalty yesterday ours was nailed on!

Agreed ghost, i think we need to remember he is only still 18 but at the moment every pass he tries finds touch or an opposition player and his head drops. A couple of games out would be good for him, but with Stam and Lomax injured, unfortunately he'll have to try and play through this spell. Shez saw it towards the end of the season, when he dropped him at Blackpool.

I just hope he doesn't think of playing Macdonald in there though!!!

Eards plays well when the lad in front of him plays well. If Liddell or AN Other in front does not offer himself to take the pass thn more often than not at this level its hoof time. He needs support from the so called experienced members of the squad, but I do think he needs to pull his finger out over his positional play. Once young Kelvin is fit, I can see Eardley taking a sabbatical.

I can confirm it had nowt to do with the ref first half (other than the penalty being a biggie in terms of the result) both sides were indeed a very poor advert for league one football. In fact Latics looked very poor with their passing and lack of football played. The second half whilst not setting the world alight with penalty box, heart in mouth action, Latics slowly took control of the game with Carlisle defending in numbers. Carlisle sat back deeper and deeper till being content in defending from their penalty box pulling 10 men behind the ball and only in brief moments did they go forward. Yet for all Latics possession second half the Carlisle keeper was tested once and that being from a possible own goal, after a cross and a pinball deflection from a defender. That said had Taylor elected to shoot on the one occasion the over lap player was produced that sad statistic may have altered. As for our penalty shout, I've seen them given however Davis did go down seemingly to easy. Yet after the prem penalty yesterday ours was nailed on!

Going back to their pen Lags, did you see the challenge by he City centre-half on Tevez yesterday? Same challenge as Thompson straight-over the top as the attacker failed to jump, Clattenberg didn't even award a free-kick. The lack of consistency is infuriating. :angry:

By the way have you ever seen a striker on his backside or rolling about as much as Graham? What a tart!

By the way have you ever seen a striker on his backside or rolling about as much as Graham? What a tart!

Ermm yes I think he was called Rangel, for swansea!! [edit] sorry he wasn't a striker doh.

Edited by Lags

my quick response.

Worst performance? :sign0094: How about Rotherham away in 2000 L0-3, Bournemouth away 2000 L0-3, Wigan Away 1998 L0-1, Wycombe Away L0-3 1999, Chesterfield Away 2005 L0-1, Brentford Away L0-2 2004, Torquay Away 2004 L0-2, Spurs Away 1993 L0-5, Any game at Notts County 1990-1991 L0-1,0-2,0-2,0-2 and many many more............................To call that the worst performance ever on Saturday is laughable and shows how we've been spoilt a little since Shez took over!

Edited by oafcprozac

I recall a truly awful one at home between Christmas and New Year, maybe about five years ago, cold, that drizzle that really soaks you through, and we were just shocking. Hartlepool possibly? We lost by one or two, it was like having teeth pulled.

I recall a truly awful one at home between Christmas and New Year, maybe about five years ago, cold, that drizzle that really soaks you through, and we were just shocking. Hartlepool possibly? We lost by one or two, it was like having teeth pulled.

Yep, Hartlepool 28th December 2003, the performance that day was a real shock after our barn-storming win vs QPR and the total football we saw at Grimsby in a 3-3 draw just two days earlier.

The two nil home defeat to Hartlepool? When Pogs did one of the worst pieces of goalkeeping performed (including schoolkids football)?

That really didn't go down well with me who had to drive 130 miles home with a rather happy Hartlepool fan.

Still 100,000,000 times better than the 3-0 defeat at Rotherham. I have never been as dejected at a 'performance' as that.

Yep, Hartlepool 28th December 2003, the performance that day was a real shock after our barn-storming win vs QPR and the total football we saw at Grimsby in a 3-3 draw just two days earlier.

Ahh, the three all draw which saw Danny Boshell's good performance in an Oldham shirt.

It was great the way we wound up Davidson in goal for them. He was awful in the first half and was reacting to our fans. The second half he came out and put up a complete one man show and saved tham from a damn good thrashing. We might have been better being quiet.

Ahh, the three all draw which saw Danny Boshell's good performance in an Oldham shirt.

It was great the way we wound up Davidson in goal for them. He was awful in the first half and was reacting to our fans. The second half he came out and put up a complete one man show and saved tham from a damn good thrashing. We might have been better being quiet.

Boshell had his best spell in a Latics shirt during Sheridan's temporary stewardship. He was superb in the 6-0 v Grimsby too, and played very well when we beat Wednesday. As a ball player himself Shez got the best out of him. Ironic he's now at Grimsby.

Pogs cost us in the 3-3 draw away at Grimsby too, the first one floated ove his head and the other two were very poor positioning. Two keepers had a mare that day! Truely the beginning of Pogs fragile confidence being obliterated, never the same after Dowie left.

The two nil home defeat to Hartlepool? When Pogs did one of the worst pieces of goalkeeping performed (including schoolkids football)?

That really didn't go down well with me who had to drive 130 miles home with a rather happy Hartlepool fan.

Still 100,000,000 times better than the 3-0 defeat at Rotherham. I have never been as dejected at a 'performance' as that.

IIRC I was straight off to London afterwards in the back of Mrs Tulsehill’s car. Shivering with damp and cold, and feeling the effects of my Christmas binging increasingly as the pre-match hairy dog effect wore off. Not good. I do think we were worse in the Brentford Deluge though.

IIRC I was straight off to London afterwards in the back of Mrs Tulsehill’s car. Shivering with damp and cold, and feeling the effects of my Christmas binging increasingly as the pre-match hairy dog effect wore off. Not good. I do think we were worse in the Brentford Deluge though.

The 1-1 Draw, Scott Vernon's diving header??? Gave up my Season Ticket that day and actually paid to go in the Chaddy as I was feeling pretty crappy after getting soaked durig the Hartlepool debacle. Felt ten times worse after the tripe we served up that day and spent the best part of a week in bed with the 'flu!

Just realised you mean the non-event at Griffin Park under Talbot dontcha!?

Edited by oafcprozac

Remember the 1 - 7 home defeat by Cardiff a few years ago. Think it is the only game I have left with 20 minutes to go. Andy Goram played and looked like he'd just come out of the pub that day.

Bradford away in the cup was bad, 5 - 0. Crewe away last season was awful.

I thought Saturday was OK in the 2nd half, first half was rubbish but I've seen a lot worse, at least it was only 45 minutes of rubbish. When we are really bad it can be the entire 90.

The 1-1 Draw, Scott Vernon's diving header??? Gave up my Season Ticket that day and actually paid to go in the Chaddy as I was feeling pretty crappy after getting soaked durig the Hartlepool debacle. Felt ten times worse after the tripe we served up that day and spent the best part of a week in bed with the 'flu!

Just realised you mean the non-event at Griffin Park under Talbot dontcha!?

Yes, the latter. Brentford really must have been a very bad side that day to only beat us by 2. I don't think we put three passes together in a row all game, we only had a shot late on in the second half. The only thing that made it vaguely bearable was the comedy retro song singing, we had to make our own amusement that day.

Remember the 1 - 7 home defeat by Cardiff a few years ago. Think it is the only game I have left with 20 minutes to go. Andy Goram played and looked like he'd just come out of the pub that day.

I thought Saturday was OK in the 2nd half, first half was rubbish but I've seen a lot worse, at least it was only 45 minutes of rubbish. When we are really bad it can be the entire 90.

Agree, bad was the two winless runs under Talbot, 9 games without a win September 11 2004 - October 30th 2004 or losing 8 out of 9 January 15th 2005 - March 5th 2005, that was bad, or the awful run under Royle during 85-86. Shows how far expectations have come. We've played two games, won one, lost one and we're still 3 points better off than this time last season.

Edited by oafcprozac

Yes, the latter. Brentford really must have been a very bad side that day to only beat us by 2. I don't think we put three passes together in a row all game, we only had a shot late on in the second half. The only thing that made it vaguely bearable was the comedy retro song singing, we had to make our own amusement that day.

Didn't have the pleasure that day, I had just begun my access course so was probbaly working on an assignment. Actually been to Brentford three times and not seen us lose yet, not seen us win either!

i always thought away at oxford (promotion season??) was the worst i ever saw!!

IIRC we lost it 5-1.... had taken a car load of mates from base to it.. inc a leeds/liverpool and coventry(only 1 i have ever known!!)

sat'day was just a dire day, played on a dire pitch, overseen by a dire referee with some 'average' carlisle players having a good day whilst we looked like we had a hangover!!

ps how easy did that number 14 keep going down???

Probably the only time I've not been there for the final whistle too. I don't think I've ever come away from a game feeling as low as that, even after Mark :censored: Hughes's goal in the semi at Wembley.

you left with 20mins left cheshireblue,i left with 25mins gone.that was the worst opening 25mins i've ever witnessed.think stuart balmer took most of the blame for it,don't think he played for us again,might be wrong though.