TalkSport Radio - Lee Hughes - Jon Gaunt

The radio debates so far have been fair and conducted sensibly.

However, at 10.00am Jon Gaunt, Coventry City fan, will display on TalkSport (1053/1089 MW) the audio version of the bad side of the English media. Stand by for fairness to go out of the window and for Hughes' supporters to be shouted down/cut off.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, at 10.00am Jon Gaunt, Coventry City fan, will display on TalkSport (1053/1089 MW) the audio version of the bad side of the English media. Stand by for fairness to go out of the window and for Hughes' supporters to be shouted down/cut off.

Why don't we all just boycott it, it will be a pretty toothless debate if nobody telephone's to defend the Hughes signing. They might just pull the plug on it if it's going nowhere.

Why don't we all just boycott it, it will be a pretty toothless debate if nobody telephone's to defend the Hughes signing. They might just pull the plug on it if it's going nowhere.

might be worth telling him to listen to last nights 5live show for a proper debate.

http://www1.talksport.net/utilities/contact_us.asp?s=1

I know what you mean, but it's a bit like watching England play on TV tonight - it's meaningless but if you don't watch you can't criticise.

The issue will probably be raised in the second hour of the show from 11.00am. Gaunt has already said in the preview that Hughes ia a "scumbag" and that Latics would sign Osama Bin Laden if he was available.

I've sent Gaunt an email comparing the Hughes and Kluivert cases, and saying Barca and Newcastle fans did not turn their backs on Kluivert, like Gaunt is advocating Latics' fans should do in respect of Hughes. I don't expect it to be read out.

I know what you mean, but it's a bit like watching England play on TV tonight - it's meaningless but if you don't watch you can't criticise.

The issue will probably be raised in the second hour of the show from 11.00am. Gaunt has already said in the preview that Hughes ia a "scumbag" and that Latics would sign Osama Bin Laden if he was available.

I've sent Gaunt an email comparing the Hughes and Kluivert cases, and saying Barca and Newcastle fans did not turn their backs on Kluivert, like Gaunt is advocating Latics' fans should do in respect of Hughes. I don't expect it to be read out.

I think he reads what he wants to, wonder how he'd feel if he wasnt a coventry fan and there was no connection to Lee Hughes.

It's just stupid to say we would sign Bin Laden, we dont even know whether he is a right or left sided player. :grin:

Guest sheridans_world
It's just stupid to say we would sign Bin Laden, we dont even know whether he is a right or left sided player. :grin:

I think we should put him on the left or right. Fairly sure he could bomb down them and make a cross :getmecoat:

The Media Lawyer who was on BBC Five Live last night was on with Gaunt talking about the Stephen Lawrence murderer. Gaunt asked him for his views about Lee Hughes. He put it in a nutshell covering Hughes doing his time and payment of taxes out of his football wages (to cover the cost of his imprisonment) and Latics' fans getting a good player to look forward to.

Gaunt was dumbfounded and exasperated that someone talked so much sense. He failed to come back with a comment and simply thanked the Lawyer - the first time Gaunt has ever shown anything even vaguely representing humility!

Guest sheridans_world
It's next to the channel changer, another wonderful invention.

I assume we can change you from the 'negative channel' to the 'postive channel' then? Did you come with this 'channel change' feature? Because i think its broken, seems to be permanetly stuck on the 'negative channel'

I assume we can change you from the 'negative channel' to the 'postive channel' then? Did you come with this 'channel change' feature? Because i think its broken, seems to be permanetly stuck on the 'negative channel'

My channel never changes from the 'Realist channel'.

Guest sheridans_world
My channel never changes from the 'Realist channel'.

Is it having one of those omnibuses, only a permanent one? The highlights and feature of the negative channel? You know what i mean, kinda like Corrie is shown for hours on end on Saturdays and Sundays on ITV 2, is it like that?

It commercial radio. What do you expect?

Talk Sport usually sensationalise everything, its how they get the listeners. It pays the bills.

The Media Lawyer who was on BBC Five Live last night was on with Gaunt talking about the Stephen Lawrence murderer. Gaunt asked him for his views about Lee Hughes. He put it in a nutshell covering Hughes doing his time and payment of taxes out of his football wages (to cover the cost of his imprisonment) and Latics' fans getting a good player to look forward to.

Gaunt was dumbfounded and exasperated that someone talked so much sense. He failed to come back with a comment and simply thanked the Lawyer - the first time Gaunt has ever shown anything even vaguely representing humility!

Seeing as he cut me off last time, after turning my discussion around saying that we would accept convicted peadophiles playing for us?!?!? I am certainly not going to increase my delicate blood pressure for that numpty again by tuning in!

I also e-mailed him (Gaunt) last time and advised him to lie down in a dark room for a while as his Show would surely be turned off by "decent broad minded football fans" not wanting to listen to his hot headed argumentative dribble!! :angry:

Despite his Political agenda and the far-right bigots that are attracted to his Show, I think that the debate this morning was pretty toothless. Some for and some against but none of the rabid rants of 3 months ago.

Interesting though that the similarity with Kluivert was brought up. Gaunt said it was not the same circumstances but he would check it out and get back to it in a couple of minutes. That was half an hour ago.

Regardless of the debate about Hughes. the guy is a thoroughly obnoxious guy but at the end of the day, he is paid to be controversial. It does worry me though that many of his listeners are actually guided by his Politics.

The guy is an absolute hypocrite, he condemns Lee Hughes for drink driving but he openly admits on air that he has been a drink driver himself.

He also says that Oldham are a club with no morals but I have e-mailed and texted the show this morning and asked him to comment on the Kevin Kyle situation whereby Coventry have stood by him as a drink driver, he has not mentioned it (surprise surprise).

Main points from the programme (my comments in brackets):

At the start Gaunt said incorrectly that Hughes was on £80,000 per WEEK - I emailed to correct him - my email wasn't read out!

Gaunt agreed with a Derby fan who said the issue would not have been raised if Hughes had any occupation other than footballer.

A caller suggested all criminals should pay a percentage of earnings towards the cost of building more prisons.

A caller suggested Hughes should pay a percentage of his earnings towards the compensation for the surviving victim (this is dealt with by the Criminal Injuries Compensation Rules).

Latics' fan Guy from Cheshire dealt with the main points involved and raised the Kluivert comparison. Gaunt said Kluivert didn't commit the same crime (yes he did) - people keep telling him that (because it's true) - he asked a researcher to check what Kluivert's crime was and said he would announce it later in the show - he failed to do this (because he knew he was incorrect). During Guy's call Gaunt said Hughes had been under the influence of dink and drugs at the time of the accident. After the call ended Gaunt came on to say that Hughes had never been found guilty of drug offences.

A caller asked what it would do the team spirit of the squad when Hughes arrives and has the squad been consulted? (Good point.)

Gaunt kept challenging Hughes to come on the phone to speak to him, saying that Hughes was a big tough boy on the pitch but not brave enough to come on the phone (he never mentioned the Club's press conference when Hughes will make a statement next week).

Gaunt said he will personally orchestrate the abusing of Hughes if he plays at Coventry.

A Wolves fan said he would abuse him.

A Brighton fan said he wouldn't pay to watch Hughes.

A caller suggested that all criminals should either get a job in the first three months or go back to jail. If they got a job, they should pay half their earnings to the victims of their crimes.

A caller challenged Gaunt about whether he had ever driven over the legal alcohol limit and the speed limit - Gaunt said he had done both, and had taken 'proper' drugs, but he wouldn't do those things now.

Gaunt read out what he described as a "brilliant text" from a Latics' fan saying his family had supported the club for four generations, but they would end their support if Hughes played one second for the team.

A caller mentioned Jermaine Pennant who could have killed someone, and suggested that there was nothing to stop Hughes doing good work in the community.

A caller said that the family and friends would have to see Hughes' "ugly mug" instead of him just disappearing into the community like other criminals.

The programme was also supposed to deal with the issue of what Pete Docherty has to do to be sent to prison, but nobody bothered to ring in about that, apart from the Prison Officer who accompanied him to Court yesterday, when Docherty got off on a technicality.

Although from 11.00am to 1.00pm was dedicated to Lee Hughes, there were not very many callers. Most of the programme was adverts/competition and Gaunt telling everyone what a great award-winning, Coventry supporting, Jaguar-driving, holidaymaker in classy places he is. He told us his bottom is very sore from jet-skiing - it now "looks like the Japanese flag". Apparently Gaunt has been abused in chants by fans of his team Coventry City - he thought that was great - as long as they include "Gaunty" in their chants, that's fine by him.

He always finishes his progamme with his catchprase "If you've got kids, don't forget to give them a hug and tell them you love them".

Thats something Lee Hughes is able to do now he's on parole.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Guest sheridans_world
Main points....on parole.

He is like James Stannage - contradicts himself constantly while thinking he is all knowing.

James Stannage gets the boot - I was so happy when this went off, i used to work late nights and we alternated the radio and what we listened too, one guy kept putting Stannage on.

Someone should make a complaint about Gaunt? Get him kicked off the radio.

I actually so believe that criminals should compensate their victims, I'd rather someone like Hughes was earning money to support the relatives/children of the people affected, just as I'd like to see burglars repaying and compensating their victim (via working on a chain gang living off bread and water if that's how they like it), rather than us all having to pay a fortune to lock them up. But the point remains, why is it only when a footballer commits a crime that the point is made?