TalkSport Radio - Lee Hughes - Jon Gaunt

The radio debates so far have been fair and conducted sensibly.

However, at 10.00am Jon Gaunt, Coventry City fan, will display on TalkSport (1053/1089 MW) the audio version of the bad side of the English media. Stand by for fairness to go out of the window and for Hughes' supporters to be shouted down/cut off.

Why does anybody listen to TalkSport?

It is to radion what Springer is to high class tv programming.

It's chewing gum for the ears.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually so believe that criminals should compensate their victims, I'd rather someone like Hughes was earning money to support the relatives/children of the people affected, just as I'd like to see burglars repaying and compensating their victim (via working on a chain gang living off bread and water if that's how they like it), rather than us all having to pay a fortune to lock them up. But the point remains, why is it only when a footballer commits a crime that the point is made?

You think the same wouldn't be happening if he was an MP?

Wow.

Wow indeed Coco.

Despite knowing that the guy was going to say a lot of things which we didn't agree with, we tuned in to listen to the other side of the argument.

You on the otherhand dismissed Barry Owen's contribution to last nights 5 Live debate as "bile" despite the fact you had no intention of listening to what he had to say.

You think the same wouldn't be happening if he was an MP?

Jeffrey Archer still writes books for a living. Jonathan Aitkin is paid for media work. Granted neither are active in politics but they have not been shut away behind closed doors as you seem to think Hughes should be. And yes, they perjured themselves about shagging a prossy up the arse and about corruption, rather than commiting a traffic offence, but the point stands.

Jeffrey Archer still writes books for a living. Jonathan Aitkin is paid for media work. Granted neither are active in politics but they have not been shut away behind closed doors as you seem to think Hughes should be. And yes, they perjured themselves about shagging a prossy up the arse and about corruption, rather than commiting a traffic offence, but the point stands.

They haven't killed, people seem to be forgetting this when they compare Hughes to every other footballer, MP and celeb who's had time in prison.

They haven't killed, people seem to be forgetting this when they compare Hughes to every other footballer, MP and celeb who's had time in prison.

And you keep, keep, keep on forgetting that he did not MURDER. He did something stupid, something which many on here have done, and it had terrible consequences. He also dealt with the aftermath very badly. If you continue to treat it as if he deliberately smashed his car into the other one then I honestly can't debate the question with you any further.

And you keep, keep, keep on forgetting that he did not MURDER. He did something stupid, something which many on here have done, and it had terrible consequences. He also dealt with the aftermath very badly. If you continue to treat it as if he deliberately smashed his car into the other one then I honestly can't debate the question with you any further.

LL you must have the patience of as saint, you have just reached the point many on here reached with Coco months ago.

Wow indeed Coco.

Despite knowing that the guy was going to say a lot of things which we didn't agree with, we tuned in to listen to the other side of the argument.

You on the otherhand dismissed Barry Owen's contribution to last nights 5 Live debate as "bile" despite the fact you had no intention of listening to what he had to say.

I_C - Please don't throw reasoned and balanced debate about on this board in such a manner. Next thing you'll be expecting a reasoned response, and we all know where that kind of attitude leads don't we?

Perhaps Senor could follow the link posted on JK to the listen again facility on 5live to give substance to his 'Barry's Bile' arguments.

Wow indeed Coco.

No comment on my bit Coco but on JKL you are advocating not listening to things that you disagree with.

Is there not a danger that this could make one narrow-minded; negative and with the opinion that one is always right?

Thought I'd point it out before it becomes irreversible. :)

Hvae to agree with the thoughts that the debate was vastly toothless... and was expecting a real bashing... however, think he has definitely been told to reign his thoughts in, and the couple of "retractions" he made were obviously down to some stern words from production....

I actually will go as far as saying despite his obvious (and rather panto) opinions he did let some two sided comments come across... he admitted it was a "two tier" arguement, and felt the overall point was that virtually no-one disagreed with him playing football again... the problem is that his setence was too short, and that he should make some compensation to the family.. something which even the most ardent of Hughes "supporters" (people who want to see him in a blue shirt - and are intelligent enough to separate football from morality) can not disagree with... The Latics fan from Cheshire came across particularly well - and gaunt agreed with him on the above points...

Was nowhere near as bad as it could be.... hughes will take some stick... but even gaunt has shown that anyone who even the most staunch opposition can seperate the realistic fact that he has every right to play football... from the fact that the utterly inept system is at fault for letting him out of prison.... anyone who cannot seperate those two, and has a utterly 1 dimensional view on this sitution can surely, well... only be described as doing it for effect.... it just is not avalid viewpoint.

Why does anybody listen to TalkSport?

It's chewing gum for the ears.

One of my claim to fame's is that I used to have a regular slot on the breakfast show with Brazil & Parry - tell you what.. it was bloomin brilliant then! :wink:

I_C - Please don't throw reasoned and balanced debate about on this board in such a manner. Next thing you'll be expecting a reasoned response, and we all know where that kind of attitude leads don't we?

Perhaps Senor could follow the link posted on JK to the listen again facility on 5live to give substance to his 'Barry's Bile' arguments.

:grin:

Where is Guide_Friday when you need him eh Dan?

Incidentally, we are trying to get a few more away fans to join OWTB so that we can get more alternate views on things like the Lee Hughes situation. GGF need not apply though!

One of my claim to fame's is that I used to have a regular slot on the breakfast show with Brazil & Parry - tell you what.. it was bloomin brilliant then! :wink:

To be fair BFL I don't mind Alan Brazil, it's Parry and Gaunt that put me off.

Didn't serve time in prison and also played for 2-3 different clubs before coming to these shores, do you know what the reaction was at A.C.Milan and Barcelona was at the time?

Well the Barcelona fans loved him, i saw him play for them on numerous occassions and they thought he was fantastic

QUOTE(Diego_Sideburns @ Aug 22 2007, 13:39 PM)

Patrick Kluivert did!

Didn't serve time in prison and also played for 2-3 different clubs before coming to these shores

I can see you're saying the difference is that Kluivert didn't serve time in prison, but I can't believe you're using that fact to justify why there was not all this sensationalism about him continuing with his football.

What would the furore be like if Hughes had only been given community service like Kluivert?

What would the furore be like if Hughes had only been given community service like Kluivert?

Coco would presumably be even more outraged than he already is, or maybe not as he doesn't seem as bothered by the Kluivert incident as Lee Hughes's even though they both killed someone while at the wheel.

There are some rather glaring inconsistencies beginning to creep into the Coco thinking on this incident, this I guess is what comes of trying to constantly play devils advocate.

There are some rather glaring inconsistencies beginning to creep into the Coco thinking on this incident, this I guess is what comes of trying to constantly play devils advocate.

I think thats always the case when people try and grab the moral high ground just for the sake of it.

Anyway, your all stearing away from the point here!!!

Does anybody have a contact number for Mr. Bin Laden. Not only would signing him help divert the attention away from hughes, but I also believe he would be a solid defender! although I'm afraid people who sit on the front row of the chaddy would have to move for his malitia to ermm "help" the club ^_^

And, if we sign osama, we would be promoting the unity of different ethnic cultures in our community! now how can that be fround upon!!!

Gaunt has already said in the preview that Hughes ia a "scumbag" and that Latics would sign Osama Bin Laden if he was available.

Bin Laden would be a quality signing....The guys worth a fortuante - especially if we could transfer him to America, where we'd get at least $25 million!!!

Back to the actual topic itself, I can't believe people still waste their time listening to this patronising, self-centered, arrogant, uneducated bunch of idiots.

I personally gave up on TalkSport about 3 years ago. Every time you listen to them, they have a different point of view which usually contradicts their own view from the day before. Garbage radio station and their only interest is the sound of their own voices and winding up each and every caller by being controversial without actually giving any reasonable thoughts to the subject in hand.

Do yourselves a big favour and listen to The Legends on Century FM

Back to the actual topic itself, I can't believe people still waste their time listening to this patronising, self-centered, arrogant, uneducated bunch of idiots.

I personally gave up on TalkSport about 3 years ago. Every time you listen to them, they have a different point of view which usually contradicts their own view from the day before. Garbage radio station and their only interest is the sound of their own voices and winding up each and every caller by being controversial without actually giving any reasonable thoughts to the subject in hand.

Agree with what you say about TalkSport, but in spite of all its failings it's the most listened to sports radio station. The point of tuning in was to find out what impression of Latics was being given to millions of listeners.

As things turned out the Club ran the GAUNTlet and came through virtually unscathed.