How come we're not scoring?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would help if we tried shooting! Too many players seem to want to dribble it into the net. Maybe Shez ought to promise a tenner to the first player to get six shots in a game. I dont mind watching players shoot and miss, better th watching them try to pass it and not bother at all!!!!!!

And while i'm at it, what wasthe point of bringing Wolfie on so late in the game? At least give him ten mins or so, it takes a few mins to actually find your feet in a game. Ricketts looked knackered after 70 mins again, should of come off earlier IMO.

Thought we were outplayed today to be honest, Bristol just seemed to want it more.

I did think Davies looked good again though.

Anyway, rant over, Come On Oldham!

We didnt seem to have any cutting edge at all today. I'm sure it will come in time Shez is still trying to work out his best formation and his starting 11 and the players need to get used to playin with each other and the system their playing. I thought Bertrand did ok he could be a good signing for us and could do a job at left wing as well as left back. Eardley seemed to do a bit better today but was caught out for the goal. I thought Rickets and Liddell both played well and was surprised that both got brought off.

And while i'm at it, what wasthe point of bringing Wolfie on so late in the game? At least give him ten mins or so, it takes a few mins to actually find your feet in a game. Ricketts looked knackered after 70 mins again, should of come off earlier IMO.

Thought we were outplayed today to be honest, Bristol just seemed to want it more.

I did think Davies looked good again though.

Anyway, rant over, Come On Oldham!

I don't thinkwe were outplayed exactly. We just didn't have the penetration we need and the problem for me lies in midfield. Although Gary Mc wasn't the greatest when he came on he showed for me exactly what was missing for the majority of the game and that's someone in the centre of midfield willing to look for space to pick the ball up further upfield in dangerous positions.

Kilkenny always wants the ball off the defence and so generally sits pretty deep. Having said that he does burst forward when a chance to break arises on the odd occasion. However, with a player like JP alongside him we have 2 players who want to sit in. We were having plenty of possession today but most of it was inside our own half as there was nobody in midfield looking to move forward into the gaps and find space to cause problems. All we could do was play it into the strikers feet who then lacked options or down the wings which generally resulted in us coming back again. When McDonald came on he was finding space beyond their midfield with his runs and almost got his rewards when he broke through onto that headed clearance(?) and got a shot away.

Personally I would still like Allott playing alongside Kilkenny as I think they are the 2 best midfielders we have. That would mean one of them having to change their game a little though. Gregan and Thompson are both good enough to pass it out of defence themselves imo, so Kilkenny should be pushing on and forgetting about getting the ball off them deep. If we can get him possession of the ball in those little pockets of space beyond the opposition midfield he will be very dangerous for us. As it is he is lacking options forward.

I know its early days but what happened today concerned me :disappointed:

Why bring off JP when Neil was clearly struggling, now I've just had a text saying he is out for 3 weeks !!!

Cant believe we took off Ricketts with 5 mins to go !! Surely keeping on our Target man and playing 3 at the back and push on through midfield is more attacking ???

Liddell IMO was one of our best players today , he looked shocked when he was taken off..

Neil looked tired after his trip to Saudi... he pulled up when running with the ball half way through the first half ..

Shocking game today !! We missed Allot today ... anyone know what was up with him ??

Still no reason to boo players though ... Someone in the NSM paddock gave an earful to Eardley and KK - both performed poor I know but booing is out of order.

Lee Hughes hopefully will make Davies and Ricketts stay on their toes, IMO samalley and wolfy are good players but they need bleeding on loan deals, we will not chase the top spot with those two coming off the bench !!

Have to agree about Lidds, full of energy and enthusiasm, not sure about rickets though. I still think he's too slow and he cant jump at all!!! The biggest cheer of the afternnon came near the end of the game when he actually ran after a ball near the dugout?! I know he's played for england and he's got the potential to take this division by storm but he just doesnt seem interested enough to me?

Do we really need a picture of Old Trafford on here. And yes I can see it's marked out as a baseball stadium. What about some size limit to these silly signature pictures? Or can you do as you please being a moderator.

The size is issue is being addressed once one of the techies gets back from the game. Stevie J who was going to do it for me today, got called away !!! His wife as just given birth today to their first child a little boy

Old Scum Trafford as been used by me to celebrate Manure being second bottom and will be changed once I have stopped applauding

Have to agree about Lidds, full of energy and enthusiasm, not sure about rickets though. I still think he's too slow and he cant jump at all!!! The biggest cheer of the afternnon came near the end of the game when he actually ran after a ball near the dugout?! I know he's played for england and he's got the potential to take this division by storm but he just doesnt seem interested enough to me?

IMO think its a thin line between interest and frustration. I think he thought it would be easier but he does get his fair share of kicks and pulls. Once he gets used to the way he will have to play I'm sure he will start firing in the goals. You can tell with what he does with the ball and some of his passing that he as something in his locker still ..

First game of the season for me - hate to say I'm right, but I'm not sure Kilkenny adds to our team. He is a better player than the rest, but that doesn't make him more useful. Looking at the changes in formations and personnel we've had in the first few games, and the complete lack of coherence in midfield today, I can only think that we had planned not to have him, and now we are shifting everything about to include him. Myself, I was quite happy without us relying on a playmaker to run the game on his own. We have one now, and we lacked any authority in the middle. Obviously don't know what was up with Allott today, but I doubt we would have lost that match with him and JP in the middle.

First game of the season for me - hate to say I'm right, but I'm not sure Kilkenny adds to our team. He is a better player than the rest, but that doesn't make him more useful. Looking at the changes in formations and personnel we've had in the first few games, and the complete lack of coherence in midfield today, I can only think that we had planned not to have him, and now we are shifting everything about to include him. Myself, I was quite happy without us relying on a playmaker to run the game on his own. We have one now, and we lacked any authority in the middle. Obviously don't know what was up with Allott today, but I doubt we would have lost that match with him and JP in the middle.

Seeing as its your first game LL I'll let you off . KK was really struggling today NOT his normal self !!! Lat couple of games he has been good IMO he's brought more to the team than RW did !

KK is now out for 3 weeks with injury and along with tiredness after game this week in Saudi no doubt limited his performance today !

Shez should have brought KK off but he brought off JP only he knows why ! Agreed thou.. Allott would have made a difference today .

Seeing as its your first game LL I'll let you off . KK was really struggling today NOT his normal self !!! Lat couple of games he has been good IMO he's brought more to the team than RW did !

KK is now out for 3 weeks with injury and along with tiredness after game this week in Saudi no doubt limited his performance today !

Shez should have brought KK off but he brought off JP only he knows why ! Agreed thou.. Allott would have made a difference today .

Fair point, he may have been knackered. Eardley also looked like an old man at the end of a season, not a young one at the start of a season. In fact, he looked like someone had been lieing on his legs for ages after a challenge, just to wear him out. :angry:

Guest amoweb
Fair point, he may have been knackered. Eardley also looked like an old man at the end of a season, not a young one at the start of a season. In fact, he looked like someone had been lieing on his legs for ages after a challenge, just to wear him out. :angry:

There is never any excuse for booing our own our players. I think KK is too similar to RW, didn't like RW and i am not taking to KK either, but that is just my opinion, no doubt other do like him and will disagree with me but i will wait to be proven wrong and then i will admit so............

KTF Guys were only 3 Games in still a long way to go yet. 100% Trust in Shez to show us the way to the Championship..

We couldnt score at this stage last season and it took until we played Forest in September for things to take off. Theres higher expectations after what happened last season but this is essentially a new team and it will take time for Shez to sort out the line up with most cutting edge. Plus we are making the chances, just need to stick them away. Strikes me that neither Davies nor Ricketts are natural goalpoachers but I know a certain someone who is! :wink:

Ricketts an Liddel were poor. Ricketts was lazy and didnt want to find the ball unless it found his feet.

ANDY LIDDEL IS PAST IT. What he did today and against carlisle , Smalley could of done the exact same thing and with a lot more pace and deano can head it.

Hes too slow, and for a winger he does not cross the ball enough its always touched back to Eardley. Who I must say was MOTM today by far.

,Ricketts when he wants to run is fast, did anyone see him sprint back to get the ball today. That was fast but why cant the man do that more often.

Does anybody else think Liddel has gone and does not bring nothing to the game any more?

Does anybody else think Liddel has gone and does not bring nothing to the game any more?

No, I think he brings a touch of class and experience to the side. And I've seen more to his game this year than I did last year (and I wasn't one of his knockers then). He's leaner and fitter this year. And class shows through.