Lee Hughes Press Conference

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just watched the unveiling of Lee Hughes on sky sports, i thought he handled it pretty well. The talk of him converting to islam is total :censored:, he is going to do a lot work in the community with schools and other football academys so that nobody makes the same mistakes as him. Give him a month and he'll be firing us towards promotion

And SSN...

Fair play to the lad and what has been said ... im taking it hell be there tonight, hopefully we can show him some kind of support ... gonna be a very tough few months ahead, but hopefully he can get his head down and do what hes paid to do ... but also its good to see him trying to help the youngsters avoid the pitfalls he encountered...funny how the media misses that one..

Oh...did the Islam thing make anyone else chuckle when they asked him if hed converted, get ya facts right media guys! :lol:

Got to say, he doesn't sound the brightest. But I suppose he's incredibly nervous, and doesn't have all the answers the wolves from the press want. Much easier to ask the difficult questions than to answer them.

He's a footballer, he's not meant to be bright. All you can hope for from something like that is that he avoids cock-ups and foot in mouth attacks. If he came across as having all the answers he'd be accused of insincerity and spin.

Well I think that's the longest we've had on the news in years. Just short of 25 minutes from Sky Sports News on it. Shame it takes something like this for them to give us some time though.

I don't think it's a case of him sounding bright to be fair. One, he has a Black Country accent and two his voice was shaking quite a bit too. Hopefully the press have had their pound of flesh now and will leave us alone. Hardy steered it quite well I thought.

The Islam bit was odd.

The first time round,

Reporter 1: "So Lee you converted to Islam in prison"

Hughes: "No that is not true, I didn't at all"

Then a minute after,

Reporter 2: "So you never looked into it, Lee?".

Hughes: "No, never, I haven't at all"

Reporter 2: Well where has that come from"

Hughes: "I don't know, you guys write it"

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Got to say, he doesn't sound the brightest. But I suppose he's incredibly nervous, and doesn't have all the answers the wolves from the press want. Much easier to ask the difficult questions than to answer them.

He couldn't win. If he tries to justify coming back to football, it will be twisted to sound like he is being direspectful. If he sits there and takes it all and just apologises over and over and over, it will fuel more similar questions.

I thought he handled it reasonably well, given the questions he was asked, but he was obviously and understandably :censored:ting himself.

As someone has said, the press aren't interested in his right to rebuild his life or what he is going to give back. The questions were always going to be impossible to answer and negatively skewed.

Right, that's that. Let's get on with the football.

I thought it was quite funny how Alan Hardy refused to answer the question on whether they thought he had served enough time for the crime.

It is not for us to comment about the law of the land - perhaps you should be asking someone else that question.

Guest sheridans_world

So a nice and loud burst of

'LEE HUGHES WHEREVER YOU MAY BE,

THEY DONT LIKE YOU IN COVENTRY

BUT WE DONT CARE, YOU'VE DONE YOUR TIME

OUT ON PAROLE WEARING NUMBER 9!

At Turf Moor tonight?

I don't think it's a case of him sounding bright to be fair. One, he has a Black Country accent and two his voice was shaking quite a bit too. Hopefully the press have had their pound of flesh now and will leave us alone. Hardy steered it quite well I thought.

I'm very familiar with the Black Country accent. In fact, his isn't particularly strong! I said he was nervous, in fact I'd imagine he was terrified, but I think a little more coaching and preparation would have helped, particularly with the inevitable questions about whether he is right to return to football. As you say, Hardy stepped in before it went on too long!

He's a footballer, he's not meant to be bright.

Maybe he doesn't have to be, but it would help! Generally, the more experienced ones interview fairly well. Hopefully Lee will get his confidence back once he's on the pitch.

Guest sheridans_world
He said he doesn't want to be a hero or the centre of attention :shock:

He asked us, the fans, to help him and support him. We are doing.

So a nice and loud burst of

'LEE HUGHES WHEREVER YOU MAY BE,

THEY DONT LIKE YOU IN COVENTRY

BUT WE DONT CARE, YOU'VE DONE YOUR TIME

OUT ON PAROLE WEARING NUMBER 9!

At Turf Moor tonight?

Really not a good idea, the Press will be there and it could be portrayed as us having a laugh about it. They'll be on the lookout for a story and they'll not need any help in finding a negative one.

Guest sheridans_world
Really not a good idea, the Press will be there and it could be portrayed as us having a laugh about it. They'll be on the lookout for a story and they'll not need any help in finding a negative one.

I actually dont care.