Ricketts

You pay your money...................

So you're one of the boo-boys i take it? What do you expect when you go and watch Latics, for them to play like Barcelona with Ricketts scoring a hat-trick every game? We're in the 3rd tier of english football, the players are bound to make mistakes, and it's the fans job to encourage them and keep their heads up, not too give them grief.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, you pay your money... but what does booing achieve? I reckon most players know when they're playing rubbish...

I still think Ricketts is being played in the wrong way, the guy is simply not a target man! Having him playing with his back to goal is a waste imo. Play balls into his feet and let him run at the opposition, thats how he did his damage at Bolton, Walsall and 'Boro. Aimless longballs, of which we've played more than our fair share render Ricketts completely ineffective. Unfortunately for me we haven't a real target man this season, so lets get it on the deck and get crosses into the box. When Hughes is fit play Craig Davies wide (as he spends most of the game wide anyway) and get Hughes and Ricketts in the middle, the goals will come - but not by playing long balls.

Edited by oafcprozac

Guest sheridans_world

Ricketts is better than Beckford. He wasnt in the England team for nothing.

He didnt score a goal ever third game for Bolton in the premiership for being rubbish.

He has had his fair share of injuries in the last few years. Let him get fully match fit.

His positional play is too good for us, the players we have cannot spot it. This is why he played in the top two tiers for the last seven years.

Ricketts is a brilliant player, if he hadnt got injured the first time round, he would still be playing in the premiership at the top of his game. He has been brought up by some of the best football coaches around.

You cannot simply write that off.

Coco, switch off the 'negativity' channel once in a while ey?

I agree give ricketts time, this goes for the rest of the team. we have exactly the same points total and look where we were in february. top of the league. imo we have a stronger squad to be able to sustain that until May.

One thing i will say about us this year though, and this especially goes for ricketts. WHY DO WE SEEM SCARED OF SHOOTING?

I still find it amazing that "supporters" after 4 games are so happy to give an individual stick/abuse. Is it jealousy? The fact that regardless of who it is that they are doing something we'd all love to do! Or are these "supporters" football purists, who have all played the game at the highest level and can really see the players' mistakes!

Do they see the 'off the ball' runs that Ricketts makes, yet never is found by the pass of jp or allott or even kk, as they are only 3rd division footballers!!

Or do they just judge him by the fact that he doesn't cover the same ground that a player with very limited ability - paul warne - can cover.

Remember last year Latics fans in their droves "worshipped" Warney (rightly so for his effort), yet i'm sure even he would give his right arm to have some of Ricketts' ability.

Frustrating - yes

Ability - not in question.

Get behind him for ffffff :rant.sml: sake

Saying that coco is right - you pay your money............

Ricketts is better than Beckford. He wasnt in the England team for nothing.

He didnt score a goal ever third game for Bolton in the premiership for being rubbish.

He has had his fair share of injuries in the last few years. Let him get fully match fit.

His positional play is too good for us, the players we have cannot spot it. This is why he played in the top two tiers for the last seven years.

Ricketts is a brilliant player, if he hadnt got injured the first time round, he would still be playing in the premiership at the top of his game. He has been brought up by some of the best football coaches around.

You cannot simply write that off.

Coco, switch off the 'negativity' channel once in a while ey?

Brilliant? He wasn't binned from Boro and Leeds because of injury, he was binned because he was crap.

So you're one of the boo-boys i take it? What do you expect when you go and watch Latics, for them to play like Barcelona with Ricketts scoring a hat-trick every game? We're in the 3rd tier of english football, the players are bound to make mistakes, and it's the fans job to encourage them and keep their heads up, not too give them grief.

Don't assume things, I don't boo anyone don't paying customers have the right to show there feelings if they believe a player is giving his all or are unhappy with the teams performance.

I still find it amazing that "supporters" after 4 games are so happy to give an individual stick/abuse. Is it jealousy? The fact that regardless of who it is that they are doing something we'd all love to do! Or are these "supporters" football purists, who have all played the game at the highest level and can really see the players' mistakes!

Do they see the 'off the ball' runs that Ricketts makes, yet never is found by the pass of jp or allott or even kk, as they are only 3rd division footballers!!

Or do they just judge him by the fact that he doesn't cover the same ground that a player with very limited ability - paul warne - can cover.

Remember last year Latics fans in their droves "worshipped" Warney (rightly so for his effort), yet i'm sure even he would give his right arm to have some of Ricketts' ability.

Frustrating - yes

Ability - not in question.

Get behind him for ffffff :rant.sml: sake

Saying that coco is right - you pay your money............

Ricketts won't match what Warne scored last season, mark my words.

Guest sheridans_world
Don't assume things, I don't boo anyone don't paying customers have the right to show there feelings if they believe a player is giving his all or are unhappy with the teams performance.

Way to get the team going, way to get their spirits up.

There are too many people like you at Boundary Park every saturday.

Humans dont react to negativity, they act with positivity and belief.

Paying or not, if i were sat near you i'd tell you to shut up and get behind the team.

QUOTE(Senor_Coconut @ Aug 31 2007, 11:47 AM)

we are in league 1 coco and the quality of football is not going to be as good as the prem, if you and a few others are booing the boys who are pulling on the blue shirt every week you are not doing anybody any good. Be GRATEFUL you have a team to support, it was only a few seasons back when we could have gone extinct.

Start supporting the lads and when the new team gels we will fly up that league, showing negativity after only three league games is a joke

I’m a season ticket holder at Preston (live in Oldham, Latics are my second team, get to BP when home games don’t clash with North End’s), so I’ve seen a bit more of Ricketts recently than many. All the things being posted on this thread are very, very similar to what was on the North End messageboards after he’d put in a few appearances for us. The same arguments went on for a while, but a consensus was reached long before the end of the season, and it wasn’t good.

I was of the opinion, initially, that he was a quality player that just need to regain a bit of form and would come good. Seeing him stink out Deepdale for the second half of last season convinced me otherwise. Whatever form he had at Bolton is long gone, his performances at Leeds, Burnley, Cardiff, Southend, Preston, and possibly now Oldham give an indication of what his ability is nowadays. I’ve only had chance to see him twice since he joined Latics, but those performances were exactly the same as the every single one he put in at Deepdale. He looks like he’s about to do something special, but it just doesn’t come off. It never did. He looks like he’s using his football brain to make decent runs, take up good positions, but it doesn’t quite work out. It never did. He plays what looks like a skilful, clever flick, but it doesn’t find a team mate. They never did. Then he stops chasing balls, stops running, stops trying

I really wanted him to come good when he signed for North End. Southend fans really wanted him to come good for them, no doubt Burnley, Cardiff, and Leeds fans felt the same. All of us were disappointed, in the end. Now, I really, really hope that dropping down a division, working with a new manager etc. will get his head straight, that he’ll be able to focus on football, to put in the effort that had been lacking for the last few years. I want him to score goals, to get the buzz back, to do well. I hope it goes that way, but I’m afraid I’m not overly confident.

One things for sure, though, booing him isn’t going to help.

Way to get the team going, way to get their spirits up.

There are too many people like you at Boundary Park every saturday.

Humans dont react to negativity, they act with positivity and belief.

Paying or not, if i were sat near you i'd tell you to shut up and get behind the team.

Well you wouldn't because if you had read my post you would see that I don't boo.

He looks like he’s about to do something special, but it just doesn’t come off. It never did. He looks like he’s using his football brain to make decent runs, take up good positions, but it doesn’t quite work out. It never did. He plays what looks like a skilful, clever flick, but it doesn’t find a team mate. They never did.

Maybe that might be due to playing alongside poor players who don't read his runs, cant deliver a decent final ball and dont read his fancy one touch lay offs.

Certainly has been the case here at times.

Edited by Butter

Guest oa_exile
He is doing alright at the moment i think. I think some people saying he is lazy and isnt intrested is far from the truth. I reckon it will start clicking soon.

His comfort zone has now gone already with the news of Hughes in the squad.Needs that first goal to kick start his season !

Can't believe I'm reading this after only three league games in!!

I haven't had a clue how we've played, match stats or anything due to deteriorating health. I've had the occasional glimpse on the board but haven't had the energy to read all the posts and stuff.

Surely we can't be writing players or our chances off already.

Oh, and Senor Coconut, your posts on this thread make me want to crawl back into bed and stay there. I respect you are entitled to have an opinion but I can't get any positives from you at all. Surely there must be some!

Come on, get behind the team!

Yeah exactly. Competition is a good thing.

Yeh hopefully when Davies, Ricketts and Hughs start competing for places the goals and performances will sky rocket. If he has been a little complacent so far it'll be a good kick in the arse for him.

Guest oa_exile
Possibly Ricketts would be suited to a deeper lying role, with Hughes foraging and Davies working the left flank,

This would enable Taylor to move to the right wing.

Not sold on that one , Ricketts is a Target Man and as such needs to in the box as the "Target" , Davies is also a big lad and also needs to be on the end of the crosses not creating them.Hughes is awaiting for his opportunity as a replacement for either as he is more of a poacher than a Target Man or provider.

Dropping Lidds for Taylor gives us less crosses into the box.If anything i would be looking to drop Taylor for Bertrand on the left.

Not sold on that one , Ricketts is a Target Man and as such needs to in the box as the "Target" , Davies is also a big lad and also needs to be on the end of the crosses not creating them.Hughes is awaiting for his opportunity as a replacement for either as he is more of a poacher than a Target Man or provider.

Dropping Lidds for Taylor gives us less crosses into the box.If anything i would be looking to drop Taylor for Bertrand on the left.

Totally agree with you on all those points 'exile', Taylor just does not have that final ball, lets give Bertrand ago on the wing

You pay your money...................

mr senor coconut the beauty about football is voice your opinion on here. people wont agree with each other otherwise it would be boring fir instance I dont agree with your comments about ricketts as much as people dont agree with me about others, but i know you not a boo boy but its getting behind the team at the game.

Thats wot for instance miffed me off last week against brizzy rovers, must be sat near jims left foot in the NSM upper as one guy was p*$$!ng me off from the first minute.

would you have kept chriss hall and matty barlow for instance - I dont know - but we have had the boo boys before and its not nice as players can hear more than fans give credit for.

I says fans because they are not S-u-p-p-o-r-t e-r-s.

Anyway the deabte will go on for longer yet but think again he will turn the fnas around