Gregan - How many points....

.......will he cost us?

In my view, Gregan was poor yesterday mainly because he had to change his game. The ref allowed zero physical contact and so Gregan had to drop off rather than being physical. Don't know if you went to Burnley midweek but there, Gregan was outstanding and totally dominant. He showed he is still capable of playing at a higher level and he has several more good years to come for Latics IMO.

I wasn't at Burnley so I cannot comment and accept what you say about his performance that night. I also missed the Bristol Rovers game. I haven't seen the goals either - was he at fault for any?

I think Gregan causes us more problems than he solves for us. When he was playing for a contract he was awesome and strolled around the pitch like an arrogant Colossus. Now he is like a very average pub player. He cannot deal with forwards who are good with the ball at their feet and can turn quickly. He is determined to make physical contact with the opposition even when there is no need. Yesterday when the ball was in the air, instead of jumping for it he stuck his arse in the Hartlepool player who was jumping for it - a clear penalty!

He was lucky not to be sent off pre-season, and in games since the season started. it's only the captain's armband that has given him the benefit of the doubt with the ref.

For someone who has played in midfield he is poor on the ball and his distribution leaves a lot to be desired, unless he's passing sideways across the back four. He hoofs the ball at every opportunity, and often gets more height on it than distance.

He blames everyone else for his mistakes and is an arrogant bully with our own players. This is not good for creating a spirit of collective responsibility. He used to blame Les even when Les wasn't at fault -it's significant that he doesn't have a go at Crossley, becuse I suspect he'd get a thick ear if he did.

Obviously we're stuck with him, but I hope Shez is able to get him to pay like he did when he was on trial, because I fear that if he continues like he's playing at present, we'll not go onwards and upwards!

Is it beyond our defenders to just defend?

No need to try and be fancy, bring the ball back into play with a Cruyff turn or a drag back. Clear it and regroup. No dithering like Thompson, no messing around like Gregan for the penalty. Just defend.

That was the refreshing thing about Trotman. Won his share of headers and cleared his lines.

Agree with everything you have jyust said Diego,

He has been irritating me for some time now - infact since around the time he got his contract.

His arrogance was a something that didnt bother me when he was playing well but how now its really pi**ing me off. He has cost us so many goals in the last few months and yet

he still swans around with that stupid smile on his face, his stupid swagger and big fat bum just get on my tits

Sort it out Gregan and start playing like we all know you can

.......will he cost us?

I wasn't at Burnley so I cannot comment and accept what you say about his performance that night. I also missed the Bristol Rovers game. I haven't seen the goals either - was he at fault for any?

I think Gregan causes us more problems than he solves for us. When he was playing for a contract he was awesome and strolled around the pitch like an arrogant Colossus. Now he is like a very average pub player. He cannot deal with forwards who are good with the ball at their feet and can turn quickly. He is determined to make physical contact with the opposition even when there is no need. Yesterday when the ball was in the air, instead of jumping for it he stuck his arse in the Hartlepool player who was jumping for it - a clear penalty!

What the hell is this tripe??? To be honest, I expect more of you than this diego, but I see now your occasional borderline cynicism has turned into the absolute rubbish which is starting to emerge from our supposed fans...

Fair enough, you werent at Burnley, but were you at Swansea, were you at Brizzle??? Both games, especially Swansea he was an absolute powerhouse, without which our team would be in disseray....

Fair enough, he had a bad game yesterday... does 1 game in 5 mean suddenly he is a liability who we should get rid of??? No, he is our captain, fair enough I wasnt at Hartlepool - but every time I have seen him he has been superb... he has to be physical, because with to be honest, the other three next to him arent up to scratch - yet...

As I say, I expect more than this from our supposed knowlegeable fans - stop jumping on things that happened in the last match and get some perspective, one game does not make him a bad player...

Honestly... the lunacy is spreading...

:rant.sml:

.......will he cost us?

He was lucky not to be sent off pre-season, and in games since the season started. it's only the captain's armband that has given him the benefit of the doubt with the ref.

For someone who has played in midfield he is poor on the ball and his distribution leaves a lot to be desired, unless he's passing sideways across the back four. He hoofs the ball at every opportunity, and often gets more height on it than distance.

He blames everyone else for his mistakes and is an arrogant bully with our own players. This is not good for creating a spirit of collective responsibility. He used to blame Les even when Les wasn't at fault -it's significant that he doesn't have a go at Crossley, becuse I suspect he'd get a thick ear if he did.

Obviously we're stuck with him, but I hope Shez is able to get him to pay like he did when he was on trial, because I fear that if he continues like he's playing at present, we'll not go onwards and upwards!

I disagree with so much of that Diego that if I didn't know better, I'd say it was a wind-up!

It is amazing that he is praised for strutting around in an arrogant fashion and also derided for it when it suits. And talking about suiting the purpose of the argument, how you could see that as a penalty yesterday is beyond belief. The guy jumped into Gregan and any free-kick should have been for Oldham.

His distribution is generally very good - but he also knows when to just get the ball from danger - be that Row z or well upfield. He hits excellent diagonal balls such as the one for Davies which lead to Smalley's "Taxi" moment against Bristol Rovers. In that game, he played well and could not be blamed for the goal. At Burnley, their first was a cock-up started by Thompson and continued by Gregan. The other two were scored as a result of us pushing on looking to equalise/ score. As stated, that match saw him score a perfect 10 for me in the first half against high class centre forwards.

He's Team Captain. He should be handing out rollickings since as a collective unit, the defence is not doing its job. As for being a bully, well sorry but it is a man's game and the man doing the shouting and directing has played at a much higher level during his career. With Crossley, the defence know what he is going to do. With Les, you don't know if he will stick or bust.

I'm glad we are stuck with Gregan and I'm 100% psoitive that so is Shez. If he had doubts, he wouldn't have made him Captain particularly as we have plenty of outher candidates (injuries permitting) at Centre Half.

What the hell is this tripe??? To be honest, I expect more of you than this diego, but I see now your occasional borderline cynicism has turned into the absolute rubbish which is starting to emerge from our supposed fans...

Fair enough, you werent at Burnley, but were you at Swansea, were you at Brizzle??? Both games, especially Swansea he was an absolute powerhouse, without which our team would be in disseray....

Fair enough, he had a bad game yesterday... does 1 game in 5 mean suddenly he is a liability who we should get rid of??? No, he is our captain, fair enough I wasnt at Hartlepool - but every time I have seen him he has been superb... he has to be physical, because with to be honest, the other three next to him arent up to scratch - yet...

As I say, I expect more than this from our supposed knowlegeable fans - stop jumping on things that happened in the last match and get some perspective, one game does not make him a bad player...

Honestly... the lunacy is spreading...

:rant.sml:

I wasn't at Brizzle or Swansea - those games, together with the two I've missed this season, are the only ones I've missed since Gregan joined us - just my bad luck eh?. I thought he was a great signing after his brilliant trial period. I loved to watch him taking control of situations - he was our best player by a mile. However, that is not the case nowadays and was not the case during our bad patch last season. The fact that you refer back to Swansea and Bristol highlights the fact that Gregan's awesome performances are few and far between. He did not have a good game at home to Swansea or at Carlisle this season.

There is a great danger Bigfin that you may be blinded by flashes of the brilliance that you have seen only occasionally.

Knowing me like you do, then to liken my comments to the "absolute rubbish" and "lunacy" that you read in other fans' posts is not only petty but is insulting . Like everyone else I'm expressing an opinion, but in this case you assume I'm doing the same as others, whom you've concluded are writing off the season after one catastophic performance.

I'm saying that the current Gregan (and the Gregan from when we went into freefall last season) are not the Gregan of old. The Gregan who was trying to win a contract is the one I want and the team needs to take us onwards and upwards. I want him to be physical, but not at the expense of the team by giving away needless free-kicks, penalties and yellow cards just because he likes to throw his weight about.

I'm sure I'm not alone in my views - the evidence is too obvious for most people to miss.

I disagree with so much of that Diego that if I didn't know better, I'd say it was a wind-up!

It is amazing that he is praised for strutting around in an arrogant fashion and also derided for it when it suits. And talking about suiting the purpose of the argument, how you could see that as a penalty yesterday is beyond belief. The guy jumped into Gregan and any free-kick should have been for Oldham.

We'll have to agree to differ on the detrimental change in Gregan.

It appeared clear to me even from the other end of the ground, and I defy anyone watching the replay of the penalty incident to deny that Gregan deliberately prevented the Hartlepool player from winning the header by sticking his arse in him.

I wasn't at Brizzle or Swansea - those games, together with the two I've missed this season, are the only ones I've missed since Gregan joined us - just my bad luck eh?. I thought he was a great signing after his brilliant trial period. I loved to watch him taking control of situations - he was our best player by a mile. However, that is not the case nowadays and was not the case during our bad patch last season. The fact that you refer back to Swansea and Bristol highlights the fact that Gregan's awesome performances are few and far between. He did not have a good game at home to Swansea or at Carlisle this season.

There is a great danger Bigfin that you may be blinded by flashes of the brilliance that you have seen only occasionally.

Knowing me like you do, then to liken my comments to the "absolute rubbish" and "lunacy" that you read in other fans' posts is not only petty but is insulting . Like everyone else I'm expressing an opinion, but in this case you assume I'm doing the same as others, whom you've concluded are writing off the season after one catastophic performance.

I'm saying that the current Gregan (and the Gregan from when we went into freefall last season) are not the Gregan of old. The Gregan who was trying to win a contract is the one I want and the team needs to take us onwards and upwards. I want him to be physical, but not at the expense of the team by giving away needless free-kicks, penalties and yellow cards just because he likes to throw his weight about.

I'm sure I'm not alone in my views - the evidence is too obvious for most people to miss.

Diego - we have agreed and not on some points this one we dont - but thats football- gregan was also a absolute man mountain at burnley - and personally put it down to the fact the other players in the back four. now we know what eardley is capable of but hasnt done it yet although burnley and pool where is best two games - i have no problem with gregan at them moment and would be one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment - how many goals this season we have conceded have been down to gregan?

he is commanding at the back and very rarely misses much at the back - to be honest if we had not have had him in the team it could of been worse. -

anyway - interesting point but would neva dismiss your view

Edited by neiladamsheadband

He was decent at Burnley i agree, but come to think of it, two of the goals you could fault him for especially the first. Yesterday the first 3 goals should have been dealt with although the 3rd was unlucky as it didnt appear to be a penalty. Who commited that foul in the second half on the hartlepool forward that seemed a certain penalty but was waved away? Gregan or Thompson?

actually at burnley thompson was a t fault for the first because he didnt clear and got robbed - second looked offside and third we were pushing forward and it was thompson who brough the guy down me thinks

Edited by neiladamsheadband

Diego how wrong you are about Gregan, He had one of his best games for us against Swansea. He is a awesome player for us and i for one would rather he play for us than against us.

The penalty yesterday was a real "Rob Styles" moment of madness from the Referee, at now point was Gregan to blame for that decision from the Ref.

As like last season we are 4 games in and people already have the knifes out, lets wait until Christmas and see where we are then.

Yesterday was no where near the worst i have seen the team play, that accolade goes to Rotherham Away a few years ago on Sunday Afternoon. A game a refer to as Black Sunday. Those who went will know excatly which game i am talking about.

KTF Diego we will come good.......

I was at burnley last week. and unless i was asleep having a nightmare i'm quite sure greegan made far too many mistakes. He was solid first half but after the mistake that caused the first goal he seemed to totally cave in. MAJORLY overated imo!

As like last season we are 4 games in and people already have the knifes out, lets wait until Christmas and see where we are then.

Yesterday was no where near the worst i have seen the team play, that accolade goes to Rotherham Away a few years ago on Sunday Afternoon. A game a refer to as Black Sunday. Those who went will know excatly which game i am talking about.

KTF Diego we will come good.......

I haven't got the knife out, I haven't said it's the worst I've seen us play and I am keeping the Faith.

Let's not forget that the team has been on a downward spiral for a long time. We only just scraped into the play-offs and then the team failed to perform in either leg. We weren't the best team against Swansea, but we got three points. What I'm getting at is that there is a well-established run of poor form and while we all hope it's going to change soon, I'm saying that a reborn Gregan of post-contract form would work wonders.

I could have written my piece about Gregan last season or before Bristol Rovers - it would still have been applicable. I have commented on JKL and here several times before about him being a liability by giving away free kicks and risking suspensions by swearing at officials. He's nowhere near as good now as he was when he was playing for a contract. That may be coincidence as he's getting older but I don't think it is. Whether it is or not, we need to stop the bad run which started after we'd been top of the league last season.

He's not the only one who needs to improve but he is the captain, the leader and the most experienced and influential outfield player. If he gets back to his awesome best I believe we have more chance of reversing our form and going onwards and upwards. That doesn't mean I've joined the doom merchants. It wasn't me singing "what a load of rubbish" yesterday.

I haven't got the knife out, I haven't said it's the worst I've seen us play and I am keeping the Faith.

Let's not forget that the team has been on a downward spiral for a long time. We only just scraped into the play-offs and then the team failed to perform in either leg. We weren't the best team against Swansea, but we got three points. What I'm getting at is that there is a well-established run of poor form and while we all hope it's going to change soon, I'm saying that a reborn Gregan of post-contract form would work wonders.

I could have written my piece about Gregan last season or before Bristol Rovers - it would still have been applicable. I have commented on JKL and here several times before about him being a liability by giving away free kicks and risking suspensions by swearing at officials. He's nowhere near as good now as he was when he was playing for a contract. That may be coincidence as he's getting older but I don't think it is. Whether it is or not, we need to stop the bad run which started after we'd been top of the league last season.

He's not the only one who needs to improve but he is the captain, the leader and the most experienced and influential outfield player. If he gets back to his awesome best I believe we have more chance of reversing our form and going onwards and upwards. That doesn't mean I've joined the doom merchants. It wasn't me singing "what a load of rubbish" yesterday.

Wasn't me sing "what a load of rubbish" either

QUOTE(BigfinLatic @ Sep 2 2007, 16:29 PM)

I wasn't at Brizzle or Swansea - those games, together with the two I've missed this season, are the only ones I've missed since Gregan joined us - just my bad luck eh?.

CORRECTION: I was at Brizzle on 30th September 2006, but that was before Gregan had joined us on loan from dirty Leeds.

I love the way there always has to be an individual to blame...

How many points will Gregan cost us this season? Far fewer than he saves us. If he was a bit quicker and didn't make the odd mistake he'd still be playing in the Premiership wouldn't he. :rolleyes:

I don't want to nit-pick or look as though I'm on a one-man anti-Gregan crusade - I've made my points clearly about why I thoink an improvement by Gregan would work wonders for the team. The 'how many points' reference was supposed to be the eye-catching headline and a pun on the chippy incident. :devilish:

You point out that "If he was a bit quicker and didn't make the odd mistake he'd still be playing in the Premiership" - I think you meant Championship.

Let you all be struck down - GREGAN IS GOD!!! He is head and shoulders above some of the 'defenders' we have had in the last few years, wins virtually every header, is cool on the ball, is a commanding presence and CAN pass a ball. Don't know what happened on Sat'di but can't blame a 4-1 defeat on one player - win as a team, get buggered as a team!

Let you all be struck down - GREGAN IS GOD!!! He is head and shoulders above some of the 'defenders' we have had in the last few years, wins virtually every header, is cool on the ball, is a commanding presence and CAN pass a ball. Don't know what happened on Sat'di but can't blame a 4-1 defeat on one player - win as a team, get buggered as a team!

Gregan WAS God and then don't you remember he became a Chuckle Brother? We've been getting buggered as a team for a long time now - it didn't just start at Hartlepool. If he gets back to being God, he will inspire those around him to go onwards and upwards.

.......will he cost us?

If he gets back to what he does best, winning the ball and getting rid of it instead of messing about trying to pick out tight passes or beat his man then he will be an excellent player this season for us. Unnfortunately i can't see that happeneing. Another thing is the amount he blames other players, yes i understand he is captain and sometimes he is right to have a go at them but most of the time it is his fault anyway and part of being a captain is bringing the best out of the players on the pitch, playing by example and at the moment he isn't doing that. Though to be fair i don't think anyone is doing that well at the minute. I'm sure it will come good though, just need a bit of patience for the players to get used to playing with each other

Hey diego... shall we raise the white flag... or release the dove of peace... or shall I jsut apologise???

I'm not apologising for the pro-gregan comments... and my opinion is that is that your comments were both absolute rubish and lunacy, but i never meant to be petty or insulting to you...(ok, maybe a little petty...!! ) but I think your comments were just the straw that broke the camels back.... and you have to say, on your own admittance, the views were based without seeing the whole range of performances this season...

It just struck me that your comments were, lets say, stoking the fire, or rousing the rabble - and there is quite a rabble out there at the moment...

Dont worry - i'll still be stood next to you, toasting promotion at the end of the season..!!

Hey diego... shall we raise the white flag... or release the dove of peace... or shall I jsut apologise???

I'm not apologising for the pro-gregan comments... and my opinion is that is that your comments were both absolute rubish and lunacy, but i never meant to be petty or insulting to you...(ok, maybe a little petty...!! ) but I think your comments were just the straw that broke the camels back.... and you have to say, on your own admittance, the views were based without seeing the whole range of performances this season...

It just struck me that your comments were, lets say, stoking the fire, or rousing the rabble - and there is quite a rabble out there at the moment...

Dont worry - i'll still be stood next to you, toasting promotion at the end of the season..!!

Only this morning have I read the 'What went wrong?' thread. In the light of that I can understand you thinking I was another one throwing in the towel already. However you jumped to the wrong conclusion and I stated clearly that I had missed the Bristol Rovers and Burnley games.

The essence of my thread was that Gregan is not the only one who needs to improve but he is the captain, the leader and the most experienced and influential outfield player. If he gets back to his awesome best I believe we have more chance of reversing our form (since we were top of the league) and going onwards and upwards. I fail to see how anyone can disagree with those sentiments.

I said recently that in future I'd be talking BALLS, but your opinion that my comments are both absolute rubbish and lunacy is a bit OTT, in fact very much OTT! I wasn't looking for an apology.

Good to see you don't mind BOASTing next to a 'lunatic' when we get promoted.

P.S. Have you seen the Gregan penalty incident yet?

If he gets back to what he does best, winning the ball and getting rid of it instead of messing about trying to pick out tight passes or beat his man then he will be an excellent player this season for us. Unnfortunately i can't see that happeneing. Another thing is the amount he blames other players, yes i understand he is captain and sometimes he is right to have a go at them but most of the time it is his fault anyway and part of being a captain is bringing the best out of the players on the pitch, playing by example and at the moment he isn't doing that. Though to be fair i don't think anyone is doing that well at the minute. I'm sure it will come good though, just need a bit of patience for the players to get used to playing with each other

Well said Gemma!

Only this morning have I read the 'What went wrong?' thread. In the light of that I can understand you thinking I was another one throwing in the towel already. However you jumped to the wrong conclusion and I stated clearly that I had missed the Bristol Rovers and Burnley games.

The essence of my thread was that Gregan is not the only one who needs to improve but he is the captain, the leader and the most experienced and influential outfield player. If he gets back to his awesome best I believe we have more chance of reversing our form (since we were top of the league) and going onwards and upwards. I fail to see how anyone can disagree with those sentiments.

I said recently that in future I'd be talking BALLS, but your opinion that my comments are both absolute rubbish and lunacy is a bit OTT, in fact very much OTT! I wasn't looking for an apology.

Good to see you don't mind BOASTing next to a 'lunatic' when we get promoted.

P.S. Have you seen the Gregan penalty incident yet?

Cheers Diego! No offence intended... well, definitely not to you... to the doom mongers, well maybe a little....

I agree - gregan, like the wole back 4 needs to improve... however, for me, at the moment he is the only one who is performing, and I would be frustrated if I was him! We also seem to be getting referees who seem to be jumping on anything physical immidiately - doesnt suit the big guy... but as you say, he should be able to grow and adapt...

I have seent he penalty - absolutely stone wall, 100% penalty... however, that doesnt mean that in this division, lets say 7 out of 10 times the ref would say play on.... it was very clumsy... but unlucky.. however, I still very much feel that if he had a bit more strength around him, situations like that would never arise...

Ok... i'll take being called OTT... but I felt it was needed with some of the things being posted on here (on other piosts - as you say!), yours was a million times more constructive than anything said by some...

Dont worry, I am saving them, and we can have a good laugh looking back on them, BOASTing and talking BALLS over that promotion drink!

I cant wait to bring up SOME peoples posts when the are singing Shez/Gregan/Crossley/Ricketts/Allott's praised when we are top next year,...

I agree - gregan, like the wole back 4 needs to improve... however, for me, at the moment he is the only one who is performing, and I would be frustrated if I was him! We also seem to be getting referees who seem to be jumping on anything physical immidiately - doesnt suit the big guy... but as you say, he should be able to grow and adapt...

I have seen the penalty - absolutely stone wall, 100% penalty...

My point was that with the penalty Gregan could have jumped while the ball was in the air. He didn't but chose to stick his arse in their player. He resorts to that sort of thing a lot and it is costing us.