Latics' Fans At Accrington

There was a great turnout at Accrington obviously wanting to tick off another new ground - looked like 600 plus, but their vocal support for the team was diabolical! Apart from a handful of us and a few round the drummer who tried repeatedly to get the singing going, the rest just refused to join in. They stood there silent or talking amongst themselves or criticising Thompson everytime he touched the ball, but as soon as the half-time whistle was blown loads of them sprung into life by booing and turning on the team. Trotman, who had been outstanding, turned to look at the crowd who were booing so some started to have a go at him then.

In the second half, as the goals went in, there was an obvious change of mood in the crowd, but still a reluctance to sing.

I can't for the life of me understand why fans make the effort to go to an away match and then make no effort whatsover to get behind the team vocally. If ever the team needed lifting at 0-2 down this was the game for the crowd to get behind the players. Instead it was like being stood in the away end!

If 'different class' is 10/10 then I'm afraid tonight's crowd performance was 1/10 and I accept that some will say I'm being generous.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the drummer completely ruined any atmosphere that was there tonight!

Everytime somebody started a song, he would for no reason join in, and it drowned everyone out.

The group to the left of the goal (including me!) were repeatedly shouting for him to shut up, and at one stage i asked a steward to put a knife through it.

And to make matters worse, as the game finished and people were leaving, he even found it acceptable to beat the drum again, right in my bloody ear, when i turned to ask him "What was the need?" he looked blankly at me as if id just said it to somebody else.

And the majority of boo's coming from us was for the ref not the players, as the were applauded as they walked past!

There was a great turnout at Accrington obviously wanting to tick off another new ground - looked like 600 plus, but their vocal support for the team was diabolical! Apart from a handful of us and a few round the drummer who tried repeatedly to get the singing going, the rest just refused to join in. They stood there silent or talking amongst themselves or criticising Thompson everytime he touched the ball, but as soon as the half-time whistle was blown loads of them sprung into life by booing and turning on the team. Trotman, who had been outstanding, turned to look at the crowd who were booing so some started to have a go at him then.

In the second half, as the goals went in, there was an obvious change of mood in the crowd, but still a reluctance to sing.

I can't for the life of me understand why fans make the effort to go to an away match and then make no effort whatsover to get behind the team vocally. If ever the team needed lifting at 0-2 down this was the game for the crowd to get behind the players. Instead it was like being stood in the away end!

If 'different class' is 10/10 then I'm afraid tonight's crowd performance was 1/10 and I accept that some will say I'm being generous.

You're right the crowd were terrible tonight. There should have been much more noise coming from our end but unfortunately it just didn't happen and things on the pitch made the crowds mood even worse. Crediting the morons a few steps up from me with being a positive force tonight though (ie the drummer and cronies) is wide of the mark. Yes, they tried to get a few songs going but on 2 occasions they started singing 'we might as well go home' and that group at the top were some of the chief instigators of the half time booing. Not to mention the singing for Pogs to be put back in after the first goal which he wouldn't have had a chance with anyway.

Booing the players off always makes me cringe. We are 'supporters' and yet so many turn up and do the exact opposite of 'supporting'. Booing doesn't help anyone really. The players know when they are underperforming as does Shez, they don't need the fans on their backs. What has happened to the spirit the fans showed away at Huddersfield a few seasons back when we sung right till the end no matter what the score?

Everytime somebody started a song, he would for no reason join in, and it drowned everyone out.

Agreed. I was a few steps down from them and everytime a song started he joined in with the drum, the problem was once he started you couldn't hear anything except that. The atmosphere away at Burnley was superb from first to last, we didn't have a drum.....

To be honest DS there wasn't an awful lot to get one going in the first half, we were talking amongst ourselves, it relieved the boredom. Oh and we were criticising Thompson (amongst others) between ourselves, silly us going to a match and discussing how players are doing, or not as the case was! That said I didn't feel much like singing in the first half, but I didn't boo them off either neither did I feel the obsessive even dogmatic need to applaud them off at h/t. The first half was diabolical and didn't deserve a any acknowledgement.

Anyway its a crap ground to get singing going, too open, if we'd have filled it I suspect the singing would still have been muted, this is a quote from footballgroundguide.co.uk

Whilst Shirley Lawrence a visiting Swindon Town supporter tells me; 'We had a pleasant day at the Crown Ground. Before the game we went to the Crown Pub which was crowded, but as they had six staff serving, we were able to get our drinks relatively quickly. Inside the ground there was not much atmosphere due to the away end being uncovered. Although we had over 800 supporters who were in good voice, the noise just wasn't carried around the ground'.

So not just us then

The drum is gash and is starting to annoy too many people, the songs sound so much better without it.

The drum is totally pointless! It DOES kill the atmosphere! I love singing home and away, but when that drum starts I cant be bothered because I know no one can hear anything but that bloody drum!

The group to the left of the goal (including me!) were repeatedly shouting for him to shut up, and at one stage i asked a steward to put a knife through it.

And to make matters worse, as the game finished and people were leaving, he even found it acceptable to beat the drum again, right in my bloody ear, when i turned to ask him "What was the need?" he looked blankly at me as if id just said it to somebody else.

And the majority of boo's coming from us was for the ref not the players, as the were applauded as they walked past!

You're right the crowd were terrible tonight. There should have been much more noise coming from our end but unfortunately it just didn't happen and things on the pitch made the crowds mood even worse. Crediting the morons a few steps up from me with being a positive force tonight though (ie the drummer and cronies) is wide of the mark. Yes, they tried to get a few songs going but on 2 occasions they started singing 'we might as well go home' and that group at the top were some of the chief instigators of the half time booing. Not to mention the singing for Pogs to be put back in after the first goal which he wouldn't have had a chance with anyway.

Booing the players off always makes me cringe. We are 'supporters' and yet so many turn up and do the exact opposite of 'supporting'. Booing doesn't help anyone really. The players know when they are underperforming as does Shez, they don't need the fans on their backs. What has happened to the spirit the fans showed away at Huddersfield a few seasons back when we sung right till the end no matter what the score?

I was stood in front of the drummer last night mostley because i wanted to sing and i couldn't hear anyone else doing so apart from that small group (come to think of it the drum is probably why i couldn't hear them). I really annoyed me when they started shouting for pogs to come on and also at the beggining of the second half when they tried to start a few negative chants as mentioned above. If i'd had know there were supporters at the other side of the terrace i would have walked straight over and sang without that uneccasery drumming drowning everthing out. There sould be a sign saying come and sing with us...and no drums. Or maybe make it like a Tv audience where someone stands in front of the fans with signs telling them when to applaude or what to sing.

I agree with what your saying about the booing - no need at all, but not everybody wants to sing. At the end of the day (why did i just type that - i hate that saying!) people go to watch a football match and they shouldnt be made to feel unwelcome and that they're taking up someone elses place because they dont want to scream songs all through the match. As long as they shout encouragement and raise their tempo at crucial points then shouldnt that be enough? If you want to listen to some :censored: singing go watch the X factor......

P.s. I sing, just before anyone asks.....

Keeping the faith......

I agree with what your saying about the booing - no need at all, but not everybody wants to sing. At the end of the day (why did i just type that - i hate that saying!) people go to watch a football match and they shouldnt be made to feel unwelcome and that they're taking up someone elses place because they dont want to scream songs all through the match. As long as they shout encouragement and raise their tempo at crucial points then shouldnt that be enough? If you want to listen to some :censored: singing go watch the X factor......

Keeping the faith......

ok ok good point calm down. Thats true, as long as the people not singing arn't the people slagging the team off then all is well.

Guest oa_exile
To be honest DS there wasn't an awful lot to get one going in the first half, we were talking amongst ourselves, it relieved the boredom

lol :grin: Spot On ! :gossip:

:blahblah: Beardy :blahblah:

To be honest DS there wasn't an awful lot to get one going in the first half, we were talking amongst ourselves, it relieved the boredom. Oh and we were criticising Thompson (amongst others) between ourselves, silly us going to a match and discussing how players are doing, or not as the case was! That said I didn't feel much like singing in the first half, but I didn't boo them off either neither did I feel the obsessive even dogmatic need to applaud them off at h/t. The first half was diabolical and didn't deserve a any acknowledgement.

Anyway its a crap ground to get singing going, too open, if we'd have filled it I suspect the singing would still have been muted, this is a quote from footballgroundguide.co.uk

Whilst Shirley Lawrence a visiting Swindon Town supporter tells me; 'We had a pleasant day at the Crown Ground. Before the game we went to the Crown Pub which was crowded, but as they had six staff serving, we were able to get our drinks relatively quickly. Inside the ground there was not much atmosphere due to the away end being uncovered. Although we had over 800 supporters who were in good voice, the noise just wasn't carried around the ground'.

So not just us then

Considering that it was the first time most Latics' fans had been to that stadium, I can only assume that they didn't even attempt to sing because they had read the comments of Swindon fan Shirley Lawrence - they certainly didn't put to the test the theory that they would not be heard if they sang. I've been on that terrace with Burton Albion fans - about a third the number of Latics' fans there last night. I didn't know their songs but through the efforts of a small group of them over ninety minutes I learned them and joined in with what was a loud and humorous expression of faith in their team. They were different class!

It's one thing for the noise from an open-terraced away end not to be carried around the ground, but I was talking about the noise last night from a few individuals gathered together in about three spots on the away end not even carrying to their fellow fans. If the sound did carry that short distance then it was ignored by those who heard it. I'm hoarse this morning (oafc_ok must have lost his voice completely!), and I felt last night that people were just treating with contempt his and my repeated raucous attempts to get the singing going. Somebody has to start it but when nobody joins in you have to be thick-skinned to keep trying. Well we were thick-skinned but we were shunned as though we were people nobody wanted to associated with - even when we were winning!!! :stupid:

If nothing else, where's the sense of fun gone from singing? If they wouldn't join in, why weren't people amused at the Wemberley chants and "We're on the march with Shez's army...shake 'em up....Paint Pot Cup...greatest football team" :jester: . It was more like being in a library than at a match. :sleeping:

I'm the first to admit that the team hasn't been playing well and I could have understood it if there had been an abysmal Latics' following last night. But it was a great turnout of new ground hunters, unfortionately 99% of whom were mute when it came to getting behind their team.

I'm sick of going on about the lack of singing in the Chaddy and I get griticised for doing so. Now I'll be upsetting people about the lack of singing at away matches. I could only think that the shorter the journey to the match, on a weekday evening, and the lack of four hours' drinking before the game seems to dull the voices of most people. But then I'm told the singing was great at Burnley! The only difference was that the team played well at Burnley. I know it's chicken and egg regarding playing well/singing, but they wouldn't sing last night even when the team turned round an abysmal first-half performance.

I expect hardly any support on this thread, because there were so few people who cannot plead not guilty to the charge (I_C and S_W excluded). :sign0003:

Anyway I've got that :rant.sml: off my chest - I couldn't have said it out loud due to my hoarseness.

KtF and please, please join in next time - you know it makes sense......well Shez and the players do!

Can somebody tell me as I wasn't at Burnley - when apparently the team were brilliant and the singing was even better - was the drummer present?

I cannot agree about the majority of boos being for the ref not the players. The booing started as soon as the whistle was blown to end the first half and it wasn't saved for when the ref was leaving the pitch.

QUOTE(StipeTripe @ Sep 5 2007, 09:05 AM)

To be honest DS there wasn't an awful lot to get one going in the first half, we were talking amongst ourselves, it relieved the boredom

lol :grin: Spot On ! :gossip:

:blahblah: Beardy :blahblah:

I didn't realise that we were on the same terrace last night exile - another missed opportunity to meet! Hope you weren't one of those shunning me because I was singing. :wink:

Anyway, if there wasn't an awful (appropriate word) lot going on in the first half, what was the excuse for not singing in the second half?

Guest oa_exile
QUOTE(StipeTripe @ Sep 5 2007, 09:05 AM)

I didn't realise that we were on the same terrace last night exile - another missed opportunity to meet! Hope you weren't one of those shunning me because I was singing. :wink:

Anyway, if there wasn't an awful (appropriate word) lot going on in the first half, what was the excuse for not singing in the second half?

Sorry to dissapoint :grin: but as i have to you before i am always around , you just dont try hard enough :wink:

What makes you think i wasnt singing ? , see you know nothing about me ^_^

If i'd had know there were supporters at the other side of the terrace i would have walked straight over and sang without that uneccasery drumming drowning everthing out. There sould be a sign saying come and sing with us...and no drums. Or maybe make it like a Tv audience where someone stands in front of the fans with signs telling them when to applaude or what to sing.

You would have been very welcome to swell our meagre number. We need a big sign to hold aloft saying - "Singers over here - please join us"

Your point about the need for a sign telling them when to sing - that's why people clammer for the return of the scoreboard at BP!

Sorry to dissapoint :grin: but as i have to you before i am always around , you just dont try hard enough :wink:

What makes you think i wasnt singing ? , see you know nothing about me ^_^

By keep asking people if they are exile, it affects my singing voice! I thought I_C was going to bring us together. That could have been the half-time highlight! :wink: Maybe he's waiting for the grand opening of the Clayton Arms. :tongue1:

Someone said they had spotted an unknown guy singing - so that was you, eh? :grin: I wasn't given a description though. :huh:

Guest oa_exile
By keep asking people if they are exile, it affects my singing voice! I thought I_C was going to bring us together. That could have been the half-time highlight! :wink: Maybe he's waiting for the grand opening of the Clayton Arms. :tongue1:

Someone said they had spotted an unknown guy singing - so that was you, eh? :grin: I wasn't given a description though. :huh:

lol :grin: you will know when you see :exile: The Exile :exile:

Guest oa_exile
That's it then - proof beyond a shadow of a doubt that the drummer must go!

End of discussion.

He was "Drumming" close to me ! , in fairness its the first time i have been close to him as i dont go in the Chaddy and must have been "Lucky" at away games.............. so it didnt bother me "Before" :mad:

Keeping the faith......

I agree wholeheartedly that those who don't want to sing should at least shout encouragement and raise their tempo, but there was very little of that last night, other than when the goals went in. I couldn't even accuse them of "sing (or shout encouragement) when you're winning!"

I know you didn't really mean that about the extreme resort of "go watch the X factor". :lol:

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I agree wholeheartedly that those who don't want to sing should at least shout encouragement and raise their tempo, but there was very little of that last night, other than when the goals went in. I couldn't even accuse them of "sing (or shout encouragement) when you're winning!"

I know you didn't really mean that about the extreme resort of "go watch the X factor". :lol:

DS I merely quoted Shirley as possible evidence for the lack of noise, thats all, sorrrreeeeeeeeeee.

Maybes DS you should accept that we're not all the same, either that or making singing, clapping, shouting encouragement and applauding the team off as compulsory by law, punishable by death, :wink:

Maybes DS you should accept that we're not all the same, either that or making singing, clapping, shouting encouragement and applauding the team off as compulsory by law, punishable by death, :wink:

I appreciate that we're not all the same, thankfully. However, it's a proven medical fact that to do those things is stress-relieving. I don't suffer from stress since retiring, but I can recommend those things to others if they want to give them a try.

It's no skin off my nose really, but it's Shez and the players who ask for participation from the fans. If it helps their game then we all benefit.