IMHiO, Sean gregan is not and has never been a centre-half (in a back four anyway). I know he may play there for Oldham but IMHO he is a defensive midfield player and we should try and play him there if possible (its where he made his name at Preston). He could play as the spare man in a back 3 but i don't think that works very well (see Crewe last season). He is the best passer we have in the team and playing him ten yards further up the pitch means he can play killer balls for Davies and Hughes to run on to. OK he might not be able to run for 90 minutes in midfield but how much running did shez do in his time, if you play him with someone who can run all day it probably won't matter. He is simply not quick enough to play centre-half at this level where a majority of the strikers have a lot more pace than him. This has been our problem this season that Thompson seems slower than Haining (not that Haining was particularly quick) and enough teams have a player that little bit quicker than Thompson (plus a player quicker than Gregan). Plus what i've seen of Trotman he looks reasonable and Stam might play this season if he stops spending all that time injured, so we have 3 other centre halves. However, of our central midfielders only Kilkenny looks close to Wellens, McDonald has been poor ever since he conceeded that goal at Carlisle, I've not been impressed with Kalala, Allot is Allot so i think it'd be best if Gregan was played in midfield as its a matter of strength in depth at key positions, especially with kilkenny out for another 5 weeks.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is the best passer we have in the team and playing him ten yards further up the pitch means he can play killer balls for Davies and Hughes to run on to.

Also instead of hoofing the ball, he could weight it perfectly and score goals like this one:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LqNXeyxcP0s

He might then get a smile on his face and be less grumpy:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lgaYmCbYOxA

When we used to play Preston regularly in late 90s Gregan was immense-you could not get past him and we hated him for it.He's older and slower than he was but aren't we all? He is is a good player who is entitled to off-days and mistakes. We might not like it or expect it, but name a player who never had a bad patch. I can't remember one. Gregan is still more than good enough for this division. I won't start ripping apart the guy just yet.

When we used to play Preston regularly in late 90s Gregan was immense-you could not get past him and we hated him for it.He's older and slower than he was but aren't we all? He is is a good player who is entitled to off-days and mistakes. We might not like it or expect it, but name a player who never had a bad patch. I can't remember one. Gregan is still more than good enough for this division. I won't start ripping apart the guy just yet.

I would hope that you, me and everyone else would never rip apart one of our players.

Gregan obviously has it he showed it last year with his form when he first joined us, when he gets to somewhere near that level of performance, the team will benefit greatly and it will show with an improvements in results.

Edited by Butter

Gregan seems to be carrying the can for everything the team is doing wrong at the minute.

Okay he has made some individual mistakes which have led to goals being conceded, in the games I have seen this season he has also continued to win everything in the air as well, which is something he always does.

He lacks a bit of pace which gets him caught out at times, but for him to be getting blamed (by some) for nearly every goal we have conceded is ludicrous.

In the games I have seen our full backs on some occasions have had some very poor games and have failed to stop good quality crosses coming into the box, which have cost us goals but these players haven't been lambasted on here every time this has happened (particularly against Bristol Rovers) were Gregan was MoM for me.

Gregans dominance in the air is invaluable to the team, something that people conveniently forget when slating him for mistakes and lack of pace.

Also people cant have it both ways saying that he should put the ball in row Z, but then complaining if we are playing long balls out of defence (make your mind up) this isn't the Premiership.

Well I continue to be dissapointed with gregan and the rest of the defence, none of them are pulling there weight. Gregan maybe a good player but he isnt pulling his weigh at the moment, just like the rest of them. We need a 100% improvement by the next game.

This is Unfair! Surely gregan is at a disadvantage - he has so much more weight to pull! :wink:

Okay he has made some individual mistakes which have led to goals being conceded, in the games I have seen this season he has also continued to win everything in the air as well, which is something he always does.

He lacks a bit of pace which gets him caught out at times, but for him to be getting blamed (by some) for nearly every goal we have conceded is ludicrous.

In the games I have seen our full backs on some occasions have had some very poor games and have failed to stop good quality crosses coming into the box, which have cost us goals but these players haven't been lambasted on here every time this has happened (particularly against Bristol Rovers) were Gregan was MoM for me.

This is absolutely spot on... couldnt have said it better myself.... why have ago at our best player, purely because he isnt working miracles...?? when poor play around him is the real reason we are losing - if it wan for gregan and the swansea game, we would have no points at all....

Edited by BigfinLatic

I would imagine that a 32 year old, who in the past has played as a midfield ball winner, but reverted to his original position at centreback, and is carrying a modest quantity of timber, would really struggle for breathe if he tried returning to the midfield even for a few minutes.

I can produce at least 21 witnesses from the Clayton playing fields to back up this statement.

Gregan is god, he is a monster in the air, a real presence and a good leader. And he CAN pass!

Agreed, but what people are saying is if all these qualities were demonstrated more frequently, it would help to lift the other non-God players who are off-form and improve the team's overall performance. Now what's wrong with that point of view?

I would imagine that a 32 year old, who in the past has played as a midfield ball winner, but reverted to his original position at centreback, and is carrying a modest quantity of timber, would really struggle for breathe if he tried returning to the midfield even for a few minutes.

I can produce at least 21 witnesses from the Clayton playing fields to back up this statement.

When Haining played a game in centre midfield he said he couldn't believe how tired he was and how much running he had to do and he was a fit lad in his early 20's. Gregan should stay in the back 4, although i've stated above that i don't think he has been playing his best lately i certainly don't agree with the people saying he should be dropped

Guest oa_exile
........And he CAN pass!

Yes he can pass BUT why has this hoofing crept more and more into his game ? , maybe a lack of confidence in his other team mates or a lack of confidence with himself ?

The players can hear what the "fans" are saying whilst on the pitch.

Oh. So you mean he should stop doing the things that initially he was lauded for and saw his name chanted by the transfixed Latics fans? The moment at Gillingham last season where he left their centre forward on his arse; similarly at Burnley last week and on several other occasions in between.

This is exactly my point. We loved him for his flashy arrogance and swagger. Now we choose to berate him for it while failing to see the positives in his play.

It appears that many are now wishing for the re-signing of Guy Branston and Terell Forbes. "Kick it into Row Z", "hoof it up field".

You couldn't make it up.

Sorry Inspiral, I think that's a little bit out of order. It's fine to have the 'arrogant swagger' when you are on form and sweeping all before you, but when you aren't in the best of form, for my money at least, you should drop the attitude (particularly where referee's are concerned) and concentrate on doing what you do best.

He's CLEARLY a class player, and as has been pointed out by other posters he's immense in the air etc. So why at Hartlepool did he feel the need to barge his ample arse into their forward instead of challenging him in the air?

The problem with Sean Gregan is that because he knows he's got ability, he can't help himself but get drawn into little personal petty battles with opponents, as was shown against Parker in the playoffs and against the Swansea lad Bodde in the first game of the season.

It's like the arguing with the ref thing that he seems to do incessently. If a referre whistles and motions a player over, what's the point in standing with hands on hips ignoring the ref and not complying with the request?

Drop the attitude Greegs, and get back to being the beast we know you can be. :wink:

Fair point about the swagger Dan.

The problem with anyone who is a bit cocky; outrageous or even just a bit different is that fans will quickly turn on them for displaying those characteristics when things aren't going well.

It's happened loads of times with players like David James. One minute, he's a fantastic goalkeeper with trendy haircuts and the next, he's a useless sod who spends more time on his ridiculous barnet than he does on stopping shots. Maybe not the best example but I'm using it to show how opinions change about things unrelated to football.

I do agree that Gregan needs to cut out the arrogance and concentrate on being our best player again. It doesn't send out the right messages and is leading to mistakes on the pitch (plus stupid fouls) and (in my opinion) unjust criticism from the fans. If it is part of his fabric and persona, then fair enough but if not, then cut it out Sean. Even where they are wrong, showing dissent to match officials usually ends up one way and it is never good for you or your team. Likewise, even winning a petty squabble on the pitch means nothing if your team gets beaten.

I know that you aren't saying it Dan (and neither are several on this thread) but there are many who are using Gregan as a scapegoat for all our failings at the moment. Calls for him to be dropped are way off the mark as were many of the comments thrown at him on Tuesday. It was the blinkered nature of these "supporters" that really got my goat and made me want to comment. We would lose so much from our defence without Gregan (we'll find out soon when he gets suspended :wink:) and I truly wonder who they think we can bring in who would do a better job.

As for Hartlepool, I've watched the penalty 50 or more times and I still think it was the wrong decision. At best (or worst) it was an indirect free-kick for obstruction for Hartlepool. On Tuesday, at the time I thought there was no foul for the one given (I certainly saw no contact from where I was stood) but on seeing replays, then it looked a definite tug where there appeared to be no danger as their lad was being forced wide.

It's all about opinions but to me, I still maintain the Hartlepool spot kick was incorrect.

Guest oa_exile
............ I've watched the penalty 50 or more times and I still think it was the wrong decision.

:sign0068:

:omg: .............Jeff you really need to get out more :nnnng:

:tongue1:

Fair point about the swagger Dan.

The problem with anyone who is a bit cocky; outrageous or even just a bit different is that fans will quickly turn on them for displaying those characteristics when things aren't going well.

It's happened loads of times with players like David James. One minute, he's a fantastic goalkeeper with trendy haircuts and the next, he's a useless sod who spends more time on his ridiculous barnet than he does on stopping shots. Maybe not the best example but I'm using it to show how opinions change about things unrelated to football.

I do agree that Gregan needs to cut out the arrogance and concentrate on being our best player again. It doesn't send out the right messages and is leading to mistakes on the pitch (plus stupid fouls) and (in my opinion) unjust criticism from the fans. If it is part of his fabric and persona, then fair enough but if not, then cut it out Sean. Even where they are wrong, showing dissent to match officials usually ends up one way and it is never good for you or your team. Likewise, even winning a petty squabble on the pitch means nothing if your team gets beaten.

I know that you aren't saying it Dan (and neither are several on this thread) but there are many who are using Gregan as a scapegoat for all our failings at the moment. Calls for him to be dropped are way off the mark as were many of the comments thrown at him on Tuesday. It was the blinkered nature of these "supporters" that really got my goat and made me want to comment. We would lose so much from our defence without Gregan (we'll find out soon when he gets suspended :wink:) and I truly wonder who they think we can bring in who would do a better job.

As for Hartlepool, I've watched the penalty 50 or more times and I still think it was the wrong decision. At best (or worst) it was an indirect free-kick for obstruction for Hartlepool. On Tuesday, at the time I thought there was no foul for the one given (I certainly saw no contact from where I was stood) but on seeing replays, then it looked a definite tug where there appeared to be no danger as their lad was being forced wide.

It's all about opinions but to me, I still maintain the Hartlepool spot kick was incorrect.

Fair point on the Hartlepool spot kick, but for me, he was asking for trouble. The ball was there to be won in the air, and he's more than capable of doing that.

As for the calls for him to be dropped - for me - nothing to do with his ability or lack of. It's all about his attitude.

I certainly don't think he's on his own though. I've been disappointed with Thompson thus far and I do wonder whether that has been a contributing factor.

Fair point on the Hartlepool spot kick, but for me, he was asking for trouble. The ball was there to be won in the air, and he's more than capable of doing that.

That was a mystery to be sure.

I think he was miffed because his hoof to Row Z hit their player and rebounded into the area. Probably trying to be too clever as I'm sure he was trying to play it off their man and into the crowd.

You are right though and this debate should not be happening as he would probably have won the header if he had challenged for it.

Guest oa_exile

As for the calls for him to be dropped - for me - nothing to do with his ability or lack of. It's all about his attitude.

I certainly don't think he's on his own though. I've been disappointed with Thompson thus far and I do wonder whether that has been a contributing factor.

Same lines of thinking Dan , i posted this further up

............ maybe a lack of confidence in his other team mates or a lack of confidence with himself ?