Crowd atmosphere v Southend

Hello Diego

I did hear the singing from the Chaddy Road when I was a lad and it was tremendous. It would have been even better if the slope of the chaddy roof hadn't been there.It is a simple matter of physics. I dont think it is the responsibility of the Chaddy enders to sing and theirs alone. I did say that it was up to the team to inspire us just as much as it is our responsibility to inspire them. However I will repeat that I've paid to watch them and it is therefore their job to entertain me and the 5,000 other fans who turned up on Saturday. This they are not doing. When I'm sat with my head in my hands in frustration it is a little hard to get enthusiastic. We should be burying teams like Southend and Carlisle, home and away. Just you watch, when LUFC come in October we'll probably play them off the park. You'll hear me singing then!!!

So, in spite of the roof, the Chaddy Enders could be heard in the RRE and it was tremendous. Let that be the end of the accoustics debate. :zigga:

It must be hard to sing with your head in your hands. :D

Please use the Crewe game to warm up your voice. Otherwise you might strain your throat if you try too hard against Leeds. :wink:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish the singing would spread out a bit more rather than just being in the Chaddy End. It can feel a bit intimidating to be one of the few in my area who's willing to chant but I still do it nonetheless. Just imagine the noise we would make if EVERYONE joined in? It'd be phenomenal and I firmly beleive that a good, loud chorus of something spurs the players on and that's were we need to step in when they're having a bad performance. Don't just go quiet, SING LOUDER!

Agree 100% - why can't we all shout for the boys - no point paying the money to sit there and sulk - I pay me dosh I wanna have a sing-song. What we needed on Satdi was a couple of beach balls to get peepul smiling (as long as no hot drinks are involved - come on let's all have a disco!

The sad fact is the vast majority fall into at least one of the following three groups:

1) Don't believe that singing makes a difference to the result on the pitch

2) Can't be bothered to sing

3) Don't like anyone making any noise

I honestly feel that when I try to start chants a good proportion of fans around me think I'm being a nuisance and would rather I kept quiet. I often can hardly speak all day Sunday and Monday after a match and I must admit I'm starting to think 'Why bother?'. Maybe those in groups 1, 2 or 3 above are right after all.

So, in spite of the roof, the Chaddy Enders could be heard in the RRE and it was tremendous. Let that be the end of the accoustics debate. :zigga:

It must be hard to sing with your head in your hands. :D

Please use the Crewe game to warm up your voice. Otherwise you might strain your throat if you try too hard against Leeds. :wink:

No thats not what I said. I said that the roof in the Chaddy End stops some of the sound, We used to get 11,000 when we were in Div 4 and most of them stood in the Chaddy end. They made some noise, and they used to run football special buses from't town centre The RRE is better for singing and chanting Full stop... Are you really saying that 300 Southend fans were singing louder than all the so called chaddie enders!!! I sit in the main stand and what I meant when I said that it doesn't affect me was that we can hear the RRE loud and clear and the Chaddy end is muted.... We, as a group, sing, (yes even approaching 50 years old and barely computer literate) chant and slag the referee off just as much as you Enders. I say again. It's up to the team to get us old farts excited enough to remember the songs!!!! How does it go, Zigga Zagga ??????

Speaking as someone who sits with the grumpy old men in the middle of the Lookers Upper (or whatever it is these days), I think the main reason for there not being much sound coming out of the Chaddy on Saturday was that it was feckin empty. A third full at most.

Atmosphere? There wasn't one.

Looks like we'll be down to our hardcore 4k soon.

Edited by garcon

Are you really saying that 300 Southend fans were singing louder than all the so called chaddie enders!!!

What's this "so called Chaddy Enders"? The fans in the Chaddy End are Chaddy Enders. People who live in the East End of London are East Enders.

Yes I am really saying that 300 Southenders (Rochdale Road Enders for the day) outsang the Chaddy Enders. Because there were less than 300 gathered in the same part of the Chaddy End and willing to sing last Saturday.

It's not unusual for 300 Latics' fans to outsing the home fans at away matches. The accoustics play a detrimental part in the singing volume in long narrow open seated areas, such as Blackpool, but at most grounds it is comparatively easy for away fans to outsing the home fans. Apathy towards singing is not exclusive to Latics' fans, but it could be oh so different if there was a will to make BP a fortress. Alas there is not.

As you said before, in the 'old days', to which we musn't refer too often, the Chaddy Enders could be heard in the RRE and it was tremendous. Therefore I repeat the accoustics 'problem' must be a myth. What is indisputable is that you cannot hear people if they're not singing.

P.S. For the record the Zigga Zagga song I referred to was this one:

Zigga-Zagga, Zigga-Zagga,

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Zigga, Zagga

Zigga, Zagga

Oi! Oi! Oi!

They don't write 'em like that any more.

The sad fact is the vast majority fall into at least one of the following three groups:

1) Don't believe that singing makes a difference to the result on the pitch

2) Can't be bothered to sing

3) Don't like anyone making any noise

I honestly feel that when I try to start chants a good proportion of fans around me think I'm being a nuisance and would rather I kept quiet. I often can hardly speak all day Sunday and Monday after a match and I must admit I'm starting to think 'Why bother?'. Maybe those in groups 1, 2 or 3 above are right after all.

Shez and the players say that singing makes a difference. Shez used to say the fans' singing was "different class" and TTA ask for that kind of continued support.

Don't give up - lead singers willing to start up the songs are few and far between - hoarseness is only temporary, Latics is for life!

If we lose the Club, as we nearly did four years ago, there will be plenty of people saying if only........and reminiscing about how they used to sing at matches.

Been thinking about this for a few seasons now... BP seems to be getting quieter each week.

Now, unfortunately I don't have a season ticket this season due to being far away but on the radio the away fans do make more noise (no excuses about the accustics cos the commentary people are in the Oldham stand).

The away games were always better - True fans, compacted together and singing since lunchtime.

I've come up with a few analogies and I think they work...

If I went to a stand-up show and the comedian wasn't funny - I wouldn't laugh.

If I went to a concert and the people couldn' sing, dance or look attractive - I wouldn't clap.

If I went to the fair and the rides didn't work - I wouldn't have fun.

If I went to a circus and the clowns didn't get themselves peed wet through - I wouldn't be impressed.

If I went to a football match and the football was dire - I wouldn't cheer.

There's no chicken and the egg about it - I've paid my money - I would expect the best - If they serve up crap then I wouldn't cheer.

I guess maybe the first thing we can do about it is to cheer the players names at the start. 'Before' they start to do anything... This may then provide a bit of confidence, personal inspiration or whatever. However, as long as we play poorly BP will remain the quietest ground in England.

I go to BP to shout me head off - I am not in a punk band so no release there, I cannot shout me head of in the streets as I would get arrested - so I go to BP to shout me head off - I can understand other people not enjoying shouting their head off like me - I don't care - I will continue to shout me head off - if there are other people with the same inclination - even better - if not so be it.

Been thinking about this for a few seasons now... BP seems to be getting quieter each week.

Now, unfortunately I don't have a season ticket this season due to being far away but on the radio the away fans do make more noise (no excuses about the accustics cos the commentary people are in the Oldham stand).

The away games were always better - True fans, compacted together and singing since lunchtime.

I've come up with a few analogies and I think they work...

If I went to a stand-up show and the comedian wasn't funny - I wouldn't laugh.

If I went to a concert and the people couldn' sing, dance or look attractive - I wouldn't clap.

If I went to the fair and the rides didn't work - I wouldn't have fun.

If I went to a circus and the clowns didn't get themselves peed wet through - I wouldn't be impressed.

If I went to a football match and the football was dire - I wouldn't cheer.

There's no chicken and the egg about it - I've paid my money - I would expect the best - If they serve up crap then I wouldn't cheer.

I guess maybe the first thing we can do about it is to cheer the players names at the start. 'Before' they start to do anything... This may then provide a bit of confidence, personal inspiration or whatever. However, as long as we play poorly BP will remain the quietest ground in England.

That is precisely what I said. I expect to be entertained. I am a season ticket holder and sit amongst the grumpy old farts in the main stand. I have served my apprenticeship in the open ended RRE singing and chanting with the best of them. I graduated to the Chaddy Road end where I continued the singing and chanting until we became all seating. I now feel that its for the team to enthuse and excite me. I will give them the response they deserve. You don't sit in a restaurant and tip the waitress before she serves you. You wait until he/she has earned it, don't you... I cheer every name as its announced (even Thompson) and expect the team to earn anything above this.

Edited by happyterryb

Guest oa_exile
P.S. For the record the Zigga Zagga song I referred to was this one:

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Zigga, Zagga

Zigga, Zagga

Oi! Oi! Oi!

They don't write 'em like that any more.

Did you make that one up ? :unsure:

When i was a Chaddy Ender WE all sang :

Zigga-Zagga, Zigga-Zagga Athletic !!!

One , Two , Three , Four ..................Listen to the Chaddy Roar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clap , clap ,clap ,clap , clap ........clap , clap ,clap ................. OLDHAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And why is the Chaddy End seemingly emptier year upon year? Looking 1/3 full.

Because people are moving to other parts and finally realising the Chaddy isnt this sacred holy ground it once was. Lloydy off here made the switch on Saturday and did mention how it's more than likely he'll not be going back in the Chaddy. At half time, I bumped into a lad I went college with, who was sat in the paddock with 5 of his mates. Asked him what he's doing here. "well, i'm fed up with all the kid's in the chaddy and fancied a change.".

When Boundary Park was a fortress and the sound of the Chaddy End could be heard for a distance. The sooner everyone realises that and finally can mass as one on the Rocky Road End. Then we shall finally see an atmosphere back at Boundary Park. Because until the Chaddy decide as one to make the switch. Then the sizeable vocal minority which is now scattered about all over the ground, cant move into the RRE despite wanting too.

As for the Zigga Zagga chant. Chelsea sing "oi oi oi" to it.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Guest oa_exile

The Ford , Lookers (What ever it's called these days) Stand holds as follows :

Upper : 1433

Lower : 1233

Not many away teams will fill the lower never mind the upper or all of it.

It also makes crowd control still viable to the club as they can still control the away fans.

Would it not make sense to move everyone from the Broadway side :grin: to the RRE ? or is it a case of :lookers:

RRE Holds :

Large Area : 3017

Small Area : 1644

:ohno: Before you all say it , i know its one the cards anyway :tongue1:

Just a thought to get the atmosphere , crowd noise levels up , plus the players are attacking both vocal ends :dynamite::bluearmy:

I don't really get the ananlogy with going to a concert or a restaurant - I go to them as a customer, I go to BP as a fan - part of the club, not a casual spectator (it's OUR club, as a certain player was insanely slagged off for pointing out). That's why we pay over the odds for merchandise crap pies etc, and why a rubbish performance at BP leaves you feeling different from paying for an overcooked steak.

Did you make that one up ? :unsure:

When i was a Chaddy Ender WE all sang :

Zigga-Zagga, Zigg

a-Zagga Athletic !!!

One , Two , Three , Four ..................Listen to the Chaddy Roar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clap , clap ,clap ,clap , clap ........clap , clap ,clap ................. OLDHAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apart from the last word, that version did not stop when you ceased to be a Chaddy Ender, and it is still sung today home and away, as you well know.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E3e_Wct4T10

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QXKZg5KDnI8

No, although I would like to claim credit for the following version, I think it was adapted from a rugby song.

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Zigga, Zagga

Zigga, Zagga

Oi! Oi! Oi!

When it was belted out from the Chaddy End in regular crowds of 17,000 in the Fourth Division days, not only could it be heard in the RRE, but also at the top of Sheepoot Lane - no problem with the accoustics then!

In later years Welsh comedian Max Boyce used to sing it at the start of his act, with the audience responding with the words in bold type.

Rocky_Latic said Chelsea sing the "oi" version. Happyterryb and I were discussing the old days (1950s/60s). He was trying to remember how the song went. I can assure you that in those days we were not aware of chants of clubs in higher divisions, as there was no wall-to-wall TV coverage of games like today. The "oi" version at that time was considered to belong to Latics and anyone hearing it could not fail to be impressed/moved/stirred/uplifted.

We older fans have been criticised for referring to the old days, but sometimes it's necessary to do so, in order to dispel urban myths, especially when stories from the past are challenged. We have a duty to pass on what we know of the Club's history, while keeping the Faith in the present.

We keep being told that many fans, who used to sing in the Chaddy End in the past ten years, have now moved to other parts of BP. Some have moved in order to take advantage of the alcohol served in those other parts of the ground. Others have moved for a quieter life. Some fans are of the opinion that singing is the prerogative of the young, who have fewer inhibitions. I don't question their reasons for moving but it does grate a bit when they now pour scorn on the Chaddy Enders.

Although many fans seem to feel it's the Chaddy Enders' traditional responsibility for singing, on certain special occasions though nearly everyone is caught up in the moment and they find themselves singing - those moments are magical, and are what supporting OUR team is all about.

With the movement of fans out of the Chaddy End, a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable singers have been 'lost'. Without naming fans, one known as 'Teacher' has a vast repertoire of Latics' songs, and to sit and listen to him singing is a brilliant experience. Nowadays he chooses to leave it to the current generation.

It would be so easy to give up on the singing, rather than appear to be flogging a dead horse, but I feel strongly that there is so much enjoyment being lost from attending games at BP by not having a strong group of singers to lead the rest of us.

What do people think about the possibility of a 'do' being organised, possibly in the former Clayton Arms IF it is re-opened under the Club's ownership, whereby videos of old games could be shown and fans could have a massive sing-song, with the knowledgeable singers providing a master-class for those willing to learn? It would be an occasion to remember and it's possible that it could result in an upsurge of willing singers, with a resultant increase in the crowd noise level at BP.

If enough people think it would be a good idea, I'll suggest it to Alan Hardy.

Everybody is saving there voice for when 7,000 leeds fans descend on to the rocky road end.

Hate it when big crowds of away fans come to BP cause that one stand makes more noise than all 3 home stands, and thats probably with only 2000 in the rocky road end. Imagine 7000

:fighting::fighting::who::who::ass1::bluearmy::comeon::bluearmy::comeon::bluearmy::dance:

It's not the stand that makes the noise, it's willing singers. The RRE holds 4,600, 90% of whom will sing. I think we can just about scrape together that many fans for a night match, but I wouldn't put money on it - the counter-attraction is the usual comfort of a warm armchair plus ManUre v Roma onTV. Whether we can match Leeds' fans for singers is the burning issue.

It's not the stand that makes the noise, it's willing singers. The RRE holds 4,600, 90% of whom will sing. I think we can just about scrape together that many fans for a night match, but I wouldn't put money on it - the counter-attraction is the usual comfort of a warm armchair plus ManUre v Roma onTV. Whether we can match Leeds' fans for singers is the burning issue.

I'll be very disappointed if we can only get that many for the Leeds game. An OASIS contigent will be on hand to lend some of that "away leg" spirit, ie we'll have had some considerable drinking time to get us in the mood :drinking66::OASISscarf:

I'll be very disappointed if we can only get that many for the Leeds game. An OASIS contigent will be on hand to lend some of that "away leg" spirit, ie we'll have had some considerable drinking time to get us in the mood :drinking66::OASISscarf:

If we can raise our voices and match or beat the Leeds' singers, because it's considered to be a 'big' match, then we'll have set the benchmark for the rest of the season.

The Ford , Lookers (What ever it's called these days) Stand holds as follows :

Upper : 1433

Lower : 1233

Not many away teams will fill the lower never mind the upper or all of it.

It also makes crowd control still viable to the club as they can still control the away fans.

Would it not make sense to move everyone from the Broadway side :grin: to the RRE ? or is it a case of :lookers:

RRE Holds :

Large Area : 3017

Small Area : 1644

:ohno: Before you all say it , i know its one the cards anyway :tongue1:

Just a thought to get the atmosphere , crowd noise levels up , plus the players are attacking both vocal ends :dynamite::bluearmy:

Even though you may be saying that to wind up the 'paddock army' on here I think that's a great idea. How hard is it to get songs going at Blackpool because of being spread out along a side which doesn't go back very far? We should be taking advantage of that and whilst giving ourselves the advantage of having 2 ends of home fans to shoot towards.

The atmosphere will be much better from doing this. I know a lot of people have moaned that they just don't like the RRE, but that could still work in our favour as that could mean in increase in attendance in the Chaddy which would mean more noise coming from what is supposed to be our main singing end. I think there are definitely plenty in the Lookers dotted about who want to sing but don't because they know they are surrounded by people who consider this causing a nuisance. Just down the stand there are some OWTB's frequenters who I have seen singing all game long at away games but don't make a sound at home, this proves the problem created by all the willing singers being spread out. In an end I feel you are more likely to join in and we would all be together in there getting behind the players.

Stick the away fans in the Lookers and get the atmosphere back!

I think there are definitely plenty in the Lookers dotted about who want to sing but don't because they know they are surrounded by people who consider this causing a nuisance. Just down the stand there are some OWTB's frequenters who I have seen singing all game long at away games but don't make a sound at home....

:huh::sign0003::disappointed::ohno::nnnng::thumbsdown::who: