Favourite games

Theres a lot of doom and gloom about the club at the moment with the poor start to the season so thought i'd lighten the mood with a more positive thread. Just wondered what peoples favourite games have been for the club. I was lucky enough to witness the 'glory years' of the late 80's early 90's and there are far too many games to choose from from that era, so since we got relegated from the premiership what are peoples best memorys? A few of mine include being the first team to beat Wigan at the JJB in the season they got promoted with a Dux header if i remember rightly and Scunthorpe away last season the atmosphere was just like when i first started coming to watch Latics it was fantastic but my favourite has to be beating City 2-1 at Maine Road thanks to a Paul Reid penalty and a Dux header from a corner, fantastuc game and a fantastic atmosphere

Man City 1-2 Latics (Purely because it's Ciddy)

Oldham 1-0 City (see above)

Bradford 1-4 Oldham (Took the mick)

Cardiff 1-1 Oldham ("Outside it's a massacre" :unsure: Eyresy's late equaliser sparked that chant from our welsh friends. Still it didnt stop the 199 Oldham celebrating like they'd won the world cup - Friday Night on sky)

West Ham 0-1 Oldham (Carling Cup) (it was quality night until milk bottles started flying from every direction. :unsure: )

Derby 1-2 Oldham (Carling Cup)

Scunthorpe 1-1 Oldham (Atmosphere and the wave after wave of attacks. 94th minute - pushed on the pitch!)

Oldham 1-0 Tranmere (Purely because of how late the goal came and it sent us top)

Huddersfield 0-3 Oldham (Atmosphere and Performance)

Swansea 0-1 Oldham (We are top of the league......!! DER DER DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

-----

Sheff Wednesday 2-2 at Hillsborough just misses out for me. The above ten are probably the favourite games i've been too off the top of my head.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Wigan didn't get promoted that year. I think we beat them at home too. Paul Jones late on to take away their away record as well.

The City game in 99 was great. I enjoyed the FA Cup tie against Chelsea too. Didn't Garnett take out Flo, then Zola, they brought on Vialli(!) and he finished us off. The hotdog and the ref too with the "I thought it was blood" comment!

Plymouth away when we went 2-0 down and managed to keep our away record going with Eyresy and Wayno scoring and then Carlo should have won it in injury time and just couldn't reach it. Only three days after West Ham in the Carling Cup that Plymouth game too. Some serious travel went in that week. Mansfield the same season when we did them 6-1 if only because it was the day after my 18th. Cheers Latics :grin:

Plenty more too, I'll be back when I get seriously thinking.

cant remember the year but we played burnley at home and they brought loads and had to bring a few hundred over the pitch and into the lookers, then we were gettin beat 2 nil i think and it was dead then all of the sudden a massive crack of thunder and a massive storm rolled in which for some reason woke the home crowd and the team up and we might have won or maybe it was a draw but the atmosphere was electric. i can just remember the storm and some goals to be honest its a massive blur can anyone help? hope it really happened and i didnt just dream it !!!!!

cant remember the year but we played burnley at home and they brought loads and had to bring a few hundred over the pitch and into the lookers, then we were gettin beat 2 nil i think and it was dead then all of the sudden a massive crack of thunder and a massive storm rolled in which for some reason woke the home crowd and the team up and we might have won or maybe it was a draw but the atmosphere was electric. i can just remember the storm and some goals to be honest its a massive blur can anyone help? hope it really happened and i didnt just dream it !!!!!

Was it the one we won 3-2, Stuart Barlow and Sean McCarthy getting the goals?

Man City 1-2 Latics (Purely because it's Ciddy)

Oldham 1-0 City (see above)

Bradford 1-4 Oldham (Took the mick)

Cardiff 1-1 Oldham ("Outside it's a massacre" :unsure: Eyresy's late equaliser sparked that chant from our welsh friends. Still it didnt stop the 199 Oldham celebrating like they'd won the world cup - Friday Night on sky)

West Ham 0-1 Oldham (Carling Cup) (it was quality night until milk bottles started flying from every direction. :unsure: )

Derby 1-2 Oldham (Carling Cup)

Scunthorpe 1-1 Oldham (Atmosphere and the wave after wave of attacks. 94th minute - pushed on the pitch!)

Oldham 1-0 Tranmere (Purely because of how late the goal came and it sent us top)

Huddersfield 0-3 Oldham (Atmosphere and Performance)

Swansea 0-1 Oldham (We are top of the league......!! DER DER DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

-----

Sheff Wednesday 2-2 at Hillsborough just misses out for me. The above ten are probably the favourite games i've been too off the top of my head.

A great list, and happy to say i was at most of them - the only other game I would add is when we won 2-1 and stayed up 3 seasons back... a certain Mr Kilkenny's last game for us in the previous spell - and possibly some of the best scenes I have ever seen at BP after Killen and Beckett scored....

Also add another random match - when we beat the Trannies in the tin-pot cup... eyresy scored from half way line and then penalties - brilliant...

A great list, and happy to say i was at most of them - the only other game I would add is when we won 2-1 and stayed up 3 seasons back... a certain Mr Kilkenny's last game for us in the previous spell - and possibly some of the best scenes I have ever seen at BP after Killen and Beckett scored....

Also add another random match - when we beat the Trannies in the tin-pot cup... eyresy scored from half way line and then penalties - brilliant...

3-2 away at Hull City in the FA cup.

Class Sheridan free kick.

"3-2 to the Taliban"

Drew 3-3 didn't we. They were on the verge of relegation, and I took a fair few Dale fans who enjoyed the whole experience very much.

Linkage to game:

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=250984

My favourite ever game is a really obscure one from 1977 away to Mansfield, I was about 14 at the time and travelled down on the Stotts coach.

We won 2-0 with Steve Taylor scoring both goals, we were in an open end behind the goal and it rained the whole game.

It was the trip home on the coach that really sticks in my mind, the whole coach sang Queen's we are the champions (which was in the charts at the time) all the way home, I don't know why as we were at the lower end of the table at the time.

It's just that it was our first away win of the season and in those days we rarely ever won away from home and also sang "Jingle bells, Jingle bells, Jingle all the way oh what fun it is to see Athletic win away, hey".

Just a very fond memory of a great day in my childhood, growing up watching Latics when all my mates supported Citeh or Manure, I could so easily have bowed to peer pressure and gone the same way but I will be forever thankful that I didn't and I always have and always will support my Hometownclub (hence my username).

Latics 0 Everton 2 29/11/88 LC4R Played them off the park, we just couldn't score at a time when Everton were the cream of English football and had British record signing in their ranks - one Tony Cottee. We held them for 80 odd minutes, then Rhodesy could only parry and Cottee snaffled up the rebound at the Chaddy. He then missed a pen - maybe it was Sheedy actually after 'The Pearl' was harshly judged to have handled at point blank range, then TC proceeded to score a beauty. Gutted but was so proud of a team that was struggling in the League. My first ever night match and the atmosphere was something special. I got absolutely drenched clinging to the Chaddy Fence, but I was secretly praying for Extra Time!

Latics 4 Wolves 1 15/12/90 Superb game this on a freezing day. We conceded a sloppy opener and scraped an equaliser on half-time from 'The Pearl'. Then second half we came out and destroyed them. Stitch scored my personal favourite from all the goals he scored for us - a real rocket from the edge of the box that only ever went about 6mm above the deck before arrowing under Mike Stowell! (I was right behind it in the Rocky Road End at Pitch Level!)Then Stowell, who had been posing all game by pushing several shots two-handed over the bar when it semmed easier to catch 'em - was tried it one time too many and the dodger's header was promptlly helped into the net! He added another too!

Latics 3 Chelsea 0 21/8/1991 Our first home game as a top-flight team for 68 years and the first time I had ever seen us play on grass at home. I must admit I was worried, after-all the Plastic had been a useful psychological barrier. I needn't have worried we battered 'em! Easy, Easy, Easy and Can we play yer every week? came to mind!

City 1 Latics 2 28/9/1991 My first and only away game that season. First half we were average and City looked very good. Then we proceeded to nobble a couple of Citeh defenders. Think Rick Holden came on as sub (as Fleming played at 11 that day) and Ricky and Stitch (also playing wide) ripped City apart. People slag Sharp off but he scored 3 at Maine Road vs City and 3 goals vs United and is still the best out and out target man I've ever seen at the club.

Latics 1 United 0 9/3/93 - Obviously!

Villa 0 Latics 1 2/5/93 This really was squeaky bum time, a win or we were relegated. It would have been hard enough to watch anyway but standing in the Holte End increased my anxiety by about 1000%!!!!

Bolton 0 Latics 1 12/3/94 Bolton had conquered all in the cup before we went there in the last 8. I thought we'd be comprehensively beaten. In the first twenty minutes we were battered but somehow we held on, with a combination of good goalkeeping and the woodwork coming to our rescue. Slowly but surely we battled our way into the game and a stalemate ensued, until a woeful backpassfrom Patterson fed the bear and sent about 4,000 Latics fans into raptures!

8/4/1996 Port Vale 1 Latics 3 (I kid yer not) Our annual relegation scrap was given a much needed shot in the arm. Stu Barlow scored early doors. The bear scored a rare goal and Rico finished matters with a pen before Lee Mills bagged his customary goal against us.

1/3/1997 QPR 0 Latics 1 Due to work commitments I only saw a handful of games this season. This was my highlight, yes we were crap, yes we were going down, yes QPR battered us, we but bagged our only chance through Nicky Banger and held out for a superb win!

13/3/1999 City 1 Latics 2Probably the worst Latics team I have ever seen during the crappest season I can ever remember ad we still gained our usual triple point-haul from Maine Road. City had just won 6-0 at Burnley and very over confident. We hadn't won for five weeks since our post-Chelsea mini-revival was ended at the Moss Rose by Efe Sodge, yet we battled scrapped and out-thought and out-fought City helped by a wonder-show from Gary Kelly and a Captain's shift from Dux.

7/1/2000 Plastic Latics 0 Real Latics 1 Again a poor Latics side suddenly decided to step up to the plate. Fom Allott's cruncher straight from kick-off I knew we'd win the game. Wigan were unbeaten and Kelly worked overtime but we nicked it when Dux flicked a header home from Neil Adams' free-kick.

Part Two to follow!

edited due to my crap spelling down to the batteries going in my wireless keyboard!

Edited by oafcprozac

A favourite of mine was 6 November 1982 when we won 3 nil at Craven Cottage. Rodger Wylde scored a hat-trick.

We were all stood on a big open terrace and Latics fans were taking photographs of the scoreboard (from 0-1) as we really couldn't believe it. The day just got better and better as Rodger kept finding the net.

Other favourites for me:-

Reading 2 Oldham 3 (25/10/86)

Birmingham 1 Oldham 3 (8/11/86 Roger Palmer's 100th goal)

Leeds 0 Oldham 2 (15/11/86)

Sheffield United 0 Oldham 5 (2/1/88)

Ipswich 1 Oldham 2 (27/4/01 - Promotion clinched to Division One!)

A favourite of mine was 6 November 1982 when we won 3 nil at Craven Cottage. Rodger Wylde scored a hat-trick.

Getting a little off track arent we! ... think we could all reel off the glory days of the late 80's early nineties.... this post is about the less so glory days!

. I was lucky enough to witness the 'glory years' of the late 80's early 90's and there are far too many games to choose from from that era, so since we got relegated from the premiership what are peoples best memorys?

As S_W said yesterday - think some of the nippers are wanting some modern day encouragement! (Glad to just fall in to the category of latics fans who remember the pinch me years! - just!) ... Its not that i dont love these games, just think we need to uncover the hidden gems from the recent past!

Edited by BigfinLatic

We were all stood on a big open terrace and Latics fans were taking photographs of the scoreboard (from 0-1) as we really couldn't believe it. The day just got better and better as Rodger kept finding the net.

Other favourites for me:-

Yup ditto them IC, except Reading which I wasn't at.

And I'll add

Citeh 1 Latics 2 Tommy Wright double

Citeh 1 Latics 4 Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Roger

Sunderland 0 Latics 2 in the 86/87 play off season, Sunderland fans singing Mickey Mouse club at us before the game, then we wiped the floor with Sunderland on the pitch and we sang it right back at them

Portsmouth 1 Latics 4 in the Championship season, they said we could on play on plastic, so we crushed 'em on mud!

And final a real real personal favourite

Shrewsbury 2 Latics 3 2-0 down at H/t and by the end we'd won the World Cup and Tony Henry missed a pen. Another Roger hat trick.

And just for Hometownclub, Stevie Taylor scoring at Field Mill 26/11/1977

mansfieldataylorgoal261kh4.jpg

How does that work?! :blink:

It was my friend Nasty Evil Miserable Rich, the man who likes his teams (Brentford and Sussex) to win with more intensity than anyone else on the planet. Despite being about 7 stone, clumsy and slow, he was our college sports captain simply because he wanted it enough. Even the thought of a draw could have him curdling milk from 6 miles away, so it's fair to say he didn't look best pleased watching his side go down by sudden death, in the full knowledge that I was watching him from the next stand.

Getting a little off track arent we! ... think we could all reel off the glory days of the late 80's early nineties.... this post is about the less so glory days!

That's the point Bigfin. All but the Ipswich game were in times of routine drudgery. Believe me, the mid/ late-eighties were very inglorious as a Latics fan!

Ok Part Two, sorry if i'm boring anyone but I love reminiscing!

oops missed a cracker!

27/2/1993 Everton 2 Latics 2 Two nil down with less than 3 minutes to play. We gain an iffy penalty Adams buries it, muted celebrations. 30 seconds later Marshall's mullett heads on for Adams to drive home an unlikely equaliser. Cue mental scenes in that ancient stand and stunned Scouse silence! Even my 'owd fells left his seat in celebration!

5/9/2000 Huddersfield 0 Latics 2 Played the Terriers from a higher divison of the park. Two belters fom the under rated Rickers and a great atmosphere from the travelling fans. "We want Brucey out!" and "He's on the dole, he's on the dole, Brucey's on the dole..................great night!

12/9/2000 Reading 5 Latics 0 Despite the scoreline I personally have seen us play a lot worse and despite us being 2-0 down after about 3 minutes we had our chances. Higlight of the evening was the "What a waste petrol chat from the home fans!" Really one of those occasions when you can say "I was there!".

5/3/2002 Bury 1 Oldham 1 Poor performance against the doomed Shakers with comedy duo Smart and Reeves upfront. In the 21st minute of injury-time Argentinian Trialist Christian Colusso volleyed through Glynn Garner's legs and was promptly never seen again! Can't whack a last-minute goal away from home!

6/11/2002 West Ham 0 Latics 1 JOe Cole, Steve Lomas, Nigel Winterburn, Jermain Defoe, David James and all. Great performances hroughout the team and a wonder-show from Pogs.

1/1/2003 Tranmere 1 Latics 2 Only time I've seen us win at Prenton Park. Eyresy put us one up from the spot Howarth levelled. then Pogs saved a pen before Baudet nicked a late winner against the run of play!

15/2/2003 Stockport 1 Latics 2 Second best all game, but Eyresy's last minut free-kick will live wth me forever as will the rapturous scenes of three sides of the ground going mental!

21/4/2003 Platics 3 Latics 1 , 4,000+Latics fans going mental when Wayno scored after a nano-second, and for that split nano-second it took Wigan to go 2-1 up automatic promotion was still on!

9/8/2003 Latics 1 Brighton 3 We had made it to the start of the season, never celebrated a meaningless consolation so wildly as I did Muzza's that day!

16/8/2003 Sheff Wed 2 Latics 2 Great performance from a team of kids, trialists, rejects crock and petty criminals! Curier's equaliser = bedlam!

30/8/2003 Latics 3 Rushden 2 Not only had we survived, but we were winning games. O'Halloran will always be a club legend after his injury time winner!

8/2/2004 Latics 6 Grimsby 0 The day when it all came good and on my 27th birthday too!

24/4/2004 Swindon 1 Latics 2 No secret that this is probbaly my favourite ever game in 22 seasons of watcing the club. I shed more than a tear when the whistle went. Against all the odds we had survived!

8/1/2005 Latics 1 City 0 'nuff said!

24/11/2006 Huddersfield 0 Latics 3 Payback with a vengeance!

1/1/2007 Latics 5 Forest 0 Complete perfomance!

13/1/2007 Scunny 1 Latics 1, thought the goal would never arrive. More mental scenes when Gary Mac blated home!

3/2/2007 Latics 1 Tranmere 0 Spent the aternoon in the sponsors suite. Well-oiled by the time Porter bagged in injury time, and I bet those boxes have never seen such wild scenes as that day!!!!

10/2/2007 Swansea 0 Latics 1 Brilliant day all round, gruelling journey but when yer bladdered and top of phe league who cares!

I'm sure there are many more to come.......................last season's great run started in the midlands, lets hope the Saturday's geographica location is an omen!

That's the point Bigfin. All but the Ipswich game were in times of routine drudgery. Believe me, the mid/ late-eighties were very inglorious as a Latics fan!

Which is why that Shrewsbury game is one of my all time favorites, at the time we didn't do comebacks, especially away!

Oh and another, when we won 1-0 at Sjoke when Muggleton tried to tackle McCarthy wearing deep sea divers boots, at least thats what it looked like :lol:

Edit: Hometown, scanned it ages ago, it was on the cover of the next home programme.

Edited by StipeTripe

some great ones inthe list

not so good years two great results for me

some early memories late seventies beating b*S*RD rovers 5-0 - when Youngy bagged a hat-trick

we beat wolves in the early eighties 4-1 it was roger wylde hat-trick andjohn ryan special free-kick(think it was also on the old tv Kick off)

just a couple of old memories for me

Edited by neiladamsheadband

• 4 weeks later...
Drew 3-3 didn't we. They were on the verge of relegation, and I took a fair few Dale fans who enjoyed the whole experience very much.

Linkage to game:

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=250984

Yeh your right pal ... 3-1 and getting absolutely soaked and i think Jepson scored .. and then scored against someone like Grimbsy away on the final day to save us didnt he?

Gotta say theres some quality games been posted ... brings back some forgotten memories... Gottaa add the Mansfield game where Mr Wijnhard scored 4 .. wasnt there meself but well ... got to add it (cheating alittle i know :grin: )...

Another couple i wanna add is the Rushden game at home, where Matt O`Halloran scored the winner in god knows what time off extra time ... not seen the chaddy go as mental in a while ... and also the Colchester game where we won 1-0 at home .. with Ricky Butcher grabbing a winner in the last minute ... that one wasnt really a great game or out just remembering coming out of the ground thinking by god who needs drugs after that feeling :lol: