Help with parenting please

I've been a member of this site for around six months now and I feel I know you lot well enough to value your opinions, so.............

At what age do you think it is right to take your son to a league game at Boundary Park? (My lad, Harry, is Five & a half).

He's been suitably brainwashed since birth (we had Chaddy Owl at his christening 5 years ago), and he is well aware that all the glory hunting little gits at his school support ManUre or Citeh because it's easy to (well, maybe not in Citeh's case) and he is proud to be a Latics fan. I've dragged him in the souvenir shop several times and he's on his 3rd shirt but I've held back from actually taking him to a game. I've witnessed other harassed fathers with their kids struggling to see the game 'cos of trips to the bog or the food counter and trying to get their kid to face the right way etc.

I've nearly taken him a few times but keep talking myself out of it. So what do you think? I will take on board your views. All help appreciated.

Ta.

I'd say 3 and over is about right the ages to take 'young uns' to the game.

This age they are not frightened of the noise.. they seem to get involved in shouting and singing (even if they dont make sense :wink: )

The only problem of taking kids to the game is letting them have too much drink (vimto etc ) before the game itself and having to take them to the toilet every 5 mins.

I took my godson to a game at 3 year old and he enjoyed it ..

Lisa at the Boundary Blues is the best to ask .. Try to PM her she is nice and will let you know honest answers ..

take him sat, he'll love it. Not the expert but get him signed up with tthe juniors and theres plenty to do whilst dad as a pint before the games................ Lisa's probally one to answer this.

Good to see junior Chady owl making his first away last Sat!!! All we need do his get him on the pitch with Snr!

yep, i started taking my son when he was 3, and he was fine, he's 5 now but we've generally had to stop going until my youngest who is getting on for 2 is old enough! he was pretty good most of the time, took some action figures for when he got bored (this was in ronnie moore's era after all) and some treats for half time and he was no probs

he's been to a load of home games, plus forest and wolves away, he loves it

I've been a member of this site for around six months now and I feel I know you lot well enough to value your opinions, so.............

At what age do you think it is right to take your son to a league game at Boundary Park? (My lad, Harry, is Five & a half).

He's been suitably brainwashed since birth (we had Chaddy Owl at his christening 5 years ago), and he is well aware that all the glory hunting little gits at his school support ManUre or Citeh because it's easy to (well, maybe not in Citeh's case) and he is proud to be a Latics fan. I've dragged him in the souvenir shop several times and he's on his 3rd shirt but I've held back from actually taking him to a game. I've witnessed other harassed fathers with their kids struggling to see the game 'cos of trips to the bog or the food counter and trying to get their kid to face the right way etc.

I've nearly taken him a few times but keep talking myself out of it. So what do you think? I will take on board your views. All help appreciated.

Ta.

well that depends on your son, my eldest went from 5 years old, loved every minute of it and avidly sat and watched the game, wereas my youngest did nothing but mither me, and moan, my advice would be to try him at a reserve game first

Guest oa_exile

Funnily enough i also have the same situation with my six year old of when would be the best time so.............

I have taken him to a couple of Southport games this season , reason being less crowds 1,500 +/- just to see his reaction in that i didnt want people balling and shouting near him and making him nervous.

With regards to the harassment side just make sure he goes for a leak before the game starts and at HT :wink:

My lad loves it asked loads of questions about the game that he would not normally do when he watches it on the telly.

The next step for me and him now is to take him to a less volatile clash more of a Bournemouth than a Leeds , Forest type.

I cant wait to take him to BP.

All in all mate a Thumbs up , go for it !

PS : Where do you normally sit ? , take that into consideration as well for his first outing.

Funnily enough i also have the same situation with my six year old of when would be the best time so.............

I have taken him to a couple of Southport games this season , reason being less crowds 1,500 +/- just to see his reaction in that i didnt want people balling and shouting near him and making him nervous.

With regards to the harassment side just make sure he goes for a leak before the game starts and at HT :wink:

My lad loves it asked loads of questions about the game that he would not normally do when he watches it on the telly.

The next step for me and him now is to take him to a less volatile clash more of a Bournemouth than a Leeds , Forest type.

I cant wait to take him to BP.

All in all mate a Thumbs up , go for it !

PS : Where do you normally sit ? , take that into consideration as well for his first outing.

I normally sit in the Chaddy (and make a noise when I get excited Diego), but I've got my mates season tickets in the Ford Stand Upper for the Crewe game, which shouldn't feature too many scary away fans.

I think I'm coming round to the idea that the Crewe match is a good idea.

My eldest is also called Harry and his first game was when he was 4 and a half. He loved going and has really enjoyed it since. Only trouble is, he still asks where JJ is as he became his first hero! He's coming up for 8 now and really gets involved when I take him. Meanwhile, his middle brother can't stand watching football (I think I took him before he was ready and it has now spoiled the game for him) but the youngest has loved it since he was 2 and a half. He can't get enough and usually sits there in silence and can really follow the game.

It really is trial and error and you just don't know how they will take it. Fill your pockets with toys and sweets and as you have already mentioned, Chaddy The Owl is fantastic entertainment for them. Whenever I take mine, they always talk more about Chaddy than they do about the game.

If you go thinking that they will get bored and will need endless trips to the toilet, then you will have the right mind-set. It's when they ask to go home before the game has started that you know that you have problems!

Good luck and hopefully we will have another dedicated Latics fan for years to come.

I have taken my two lads a few times now , eldest was 5 when i took him, the other 3 - they were okay till about half time then wanted to go home.

They have actually been to games with a fair few number of goals the few times they have been and we have won :D

One thing I found out , was take food to bribe them to sit still for a bit when they get bored - but dont give it them all at once, space it out so u can get them to sit still with bribery every time they fidget.

The toilet trips are a necessary evil though :rolleyes: - luckily so far not missed a goal.

Get them taken, you need to keep the brainwashing up; my missus is waiting for the day when i take them both to away games as well :ohno:

Get him down there asap, otherwise you will be responsible for him missing out on vital footballing knowledge when he is older ^_^

In all honesty mate, my little lad is the main reason i became Chaddy. I took him to his first game in October 03 and he never shut about about Chaddy for the rest of the week. So when i saw the "job" was up for grabs i did it to keep him happy (and for my own entertainment).

He comes to as many home games as he can now and loves it. He has been asking me for ages if he could come to an away game, but ive always been a bit weary as it means leaving him with someone else whilst im "working", but i decided to take him last Saturday.

He has not shut up about it since, he absolutely loved it, he was joining in with the singing and everything. I know how much he enjoyed it because i got to hear about it about 4 more times that night as he was telling his granparents and aunties and uncles and his brother.

I get a feeling you will all be seeing him at an away game again soon.

If you do bring your young un at weekend give me a shout where your sitting and i will come and say hello and sit with you. Kids seem to enjoy the game more when theyve got a giant punch bag sat next to them :wink:

This is just my opinion, I dont have kids and didnt start going till i was 11 and with my mates. BUT.... If you dont want your son to be nervous of the shouting when he's a few years older I'd suggest taking him towards the corners in chaddy end. However there is alot of foul language n its hard to convince a kid the words aren't good and shouldnt be repeated when they're younger. In the lookers upper paddock where i used to sit there's none of this, and the people seem much more family orientated with it beign the family stand. also there's the boundary blues lounge downstairs for before the match and half time ( a great venture to get him a season ticket aswell (very cheap))

My eldest started going to Everton matches with his dad when he was 6 months old as there was no-one else to look after him and he has always loved going, the other two started at about 18 months (there now 3 1/2 and 20 months) at Latics and love going but do get bored if there are not a lot of goals - or fights, they like it when they fight as well (they must get it from their scouse dad!) - so i just take a couple of cars for him them to play with and some sweets (chewey ones so it takes him longer to get through them!) However my nephew who will be 7 next month hates it. In fact a few weeks ago he thought his mum had told him that he had to come and started crying!

Ok this is like from a teenagers point of view now. I reckon you should definately take you kid to the matches cos I started going to see Latics when I was about 6 with my dad and my twin sister. We were a bit of a handful but it was a right laugh. And if your son is as big a fan as you say, he'll definately appreciate it in the long term just like I do.

A question i've been asking myself recently too. My sister told me the news that she's pregnant and i've been hoping for a boy ever since. It helps that his father to be doesnt like football so there's going to be no blood shed about who he'd support.

Cue it being a girl (not that there's anything wrong with that). I dont think i'd actually take him (the sister might say No, if it's a girl) till he was about 5. Most kid's under that age at BP seem to be more of a problem than anything

That said. I was taken when I was 4 to the odd few games and then properly when I was 5 and witnessed the best season we've ever had. I for the next 17 years wondered why it wasnt like those first few years every year. :blink:

Edited by Rocky_Latic

It's when they ask to go home before the game has started that you know that you have problems!

That was what my two were like at Rochdale pre-season (first away game for both, unless you count IoM at six months old for my eldest). Just about got away with it as we were going to Blackpool Tower Circus the next day. I just said "You know how tomorrow we're going to see the clowns at the circus, well this is my circus and these are my clowns!" Chaddy kept them entertained for a good while as well.

Personally i think it depends on the child but as a rough guide if they go to school they can stand behaving for 45 mins to go to Latics. I know i went to Latics just after i started school and was OK but my dad took my older brother when he was a bit younger than that and he ended up getting lost going to the toilet (my dad had already taken him once and it wasn't that far away) anyway he ended up sitting next to one Mr. Stott until my dad found him. Having said that my brother doesn't really care for football (he's a bit of an armchair fan) and he has been caught reading a magazine on MOTD when Oldham scored.

If i was taking my child to their first Latics game i'd sit in either paddock in the corner (with the exception of the Lookers and the RRE) as these areas don't tend to be all that full with people complaining about your child moaning. Or I'd try the Lookers upper again in either corner for the same reason. Having said that i don't think any true Latic should moan at someone taking their child to a game when they are that age as the alternative often becomes them supporting a 'glory team' which is a sin.

Nothing like a baptism of fire in my book; Leeds at home Tuesday night. If he's not hooked after that he never will be. Welcome to the Latics family Harry :bluearmy:

Here, here! I bet he'll be very proud (and thankful) when he's older to boast that his first game was a 2-1 win against scummy Leeds!!! :grin:

In fact a few weeks ago he thought his mum had told him that he had to come and started crying!

Since the demise of corporal punishment I think parents have resorted to threatening their kids - if you don't behave I'll take you to watch Latics!

How else do you explain falling attendances at BP? :wink: