Crewe game observations

It was great to see Earl Barrett back at BP. It was also brilliant for Franny, Earl and Chaddy The Owl to walk across the pitch to pay tribute to the 90 year old lady in the NSM Paddock - you would never see that done at a big club. Think about it....90 and still supporting Latics at matches :chubb: ....how that lady must have suffered in keeping the Faith over all those years. All those stay-aways should hang their heads in shame at her example!

Mark Crossley had a poor game, but nobody has mentioned his two saves at 1-2 which proved absolutely crucial.

The singing was very spasmodic again in the Chaddy End, like the Southend game, and once again the performance on the field didn't provide the necessary uplift to get most people going. There were some gallant attempts by a few to keep the 'Sheridan's Blue and White Army' chant going, but it kept falling down. Then the equaliser came and the belief returned to the fans.

Then the lad who leads the "Everywhere we go.....people wanna know.......................................................Barmy, Barmy Army" chant gave the performance of his life, and enough people joined in to give it a volume and passion that I haven't heard before for that particular chant. Detractors fire cheap shots of "Muppet Choir", but the members of that Choir really rose to the occasion when needed. Their performance was FANTASTIC - to me it was really moving and it restored my faith in the Chaddy Enders. :chaddy::applause1:

The fact that it was followed by the winning goal may be said by sceptics to be mere coincidence, but I know that goal was down to the lead singer and the "Muppet Choir", to whom Kilkenny ran in acknowledgement in the frenzy which followed. :aplayer1:

Nothing could top that and then I couldn't believe my eyes to see two young lads stood behind the goal during stoppage time wearing sombreros - it made me think that there must be a sale of surplus Diego stock in the club shop! :wink:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was great to see Earl Barrett back at BP. It was also brilliant for Franny, Earl and Chaddy The Owl to walk across the pitch to pay tribute to the 90 year old lady in the NSM Paddock - you would never see that done at a big club. Think about it....90 and still supporting Latics at matches :chubb: ....how that lady must have suffered in keeping the Faith over all those years. All those stay-aways should hang their heads in shame at her example!

Mark Crossley had a poor game, but nobody has mentioned his two saves at 1-2 which proved absolutely crucial.

The singing was very spasmodic again in the Chaddy End, like the Southend game, and once again the performance on the field didn't provide the necessary uplift to get most people going. There were some gallant attempts by a few to keep the 'Sheridan's Blue and White Army' chant going, but it kept falling down. Then the equaliser came and the belief returned to the fans.

Then the lad who leads the "Everywhere we go.....people wanna know.......................................................Barmy, Barmy Army" chant gave the performance of his life, and enough people joined in to give it a volume and passion that I haven't heard before for that particular chant. Detractors fire cheap shots of "Muppet Choir", but the members of that Choir really rose to the occasion when needed. Their performance was FANTASTIC - to me it was really moving and it restored my faith in the Chaddy Enders. :chaddy::applause1:

The fact that it was followed by the winning goal may be said by sceptics to be mere coincidence, but I know that goal was down to the lead singer and the "Muppet Choir", to whom Kilkenny ran in acknowledgement in the frenzy which followed. :aplayer1:

Nothing could top that and then I couldn't believe my eyes to see two young lads stood behind the goal during stoppage time wearing sombreros - it made me think that there must be a sale of surplus Diego stock in the club shop! :wink:

must agree with the "everywhere we go" song diego, you could here the bloke quite clearly way up in the top corner of the main stand near the rre,but then to lay claim that the winning goal came because of the singing beggars belief.we scored because the players never gave up and crewe could'nt handle the pressure.keep off the sangria diego.

must agree with the "everywhere we go" song diego, you could here the bloke quite clearly way up in the top corner of the main stand near the rre,but then to lay claim that the winning goal came because of the singing beggars belief.we scored because the players never gave up and crewe could'nt handle the pressure.keep off the sangria diego.

Good to hear that the accoustics in the Chaddy didn't prevent the top corner of the Main Stand hearing a lone voice. :chubb:

Of course the winning goal didn't come because of the singing, but if the singing is not connected to the fact that the players never gave up, and the pressure combined with the singing getting at Crewe, then what's the point of singing? Those who were singing know they played their part, and the silent majority will not convince them otherwise.

Now back to the Sangria - hic! :wink:

We were very patchy yesterday but the fighting qualities of the team were excellent and we deserved at least a point, arguably the 3 that we ended up with. Kilkenny is a must-start for me on Tuesday as were crying out for his creativity yesterday before he actually came on and made a big difference when he did. The biggest disappointment for me was Davies' first-touch which was pretty dire yesterday......he received a number of good balls yesterday and gave it away with some poor control. Hopefully Shez can sort it out in the coming weeks.

'Then the lad who leads the "Everywhere we go.....people wanna know.......................................................Barmy, Barmy Army" chant gave the performance of his life'

He's the main reason I don't sit in the Chaddy (as well as that chant), those who know me know why. Personal views aside, didn't think the Chaddy was anything special, maybe like yourself as said in recent weeks they need to try and raise the teams performance the whole game especiall when behind. Easy to get involved when we have pulled it back to 2all with five left. 25minutes on the clock where were they ??????????????????????????????

Left the ground thinking ... we only sing when we're winning yesterday

'Then the lad who leads the "Everywhere we go.....people wanna know.......................................................Barmy, Barmy Army" chant gave the performance of his life'

He's the main reason I don't sit in the Chaddy (as well as that chant), those who know me know why. Personal views aside, didn't think the Chaddy was anything special, maybe like yourself as said in recent weeks they need to try and raise the teams performance the whole game especiall when behind. Easy to get involved when we have pulled it back to 2all with five left. 25minutes on the clock where were they ??????????????????????????????

In effect I said it was nothing special until the equaliser.

Surely the criticism should be levelled at those who don't sing at all, rather than those who only sing when we're winning. or more to the point yesterday, those who sing when they feel they can help to covert a draw into a win.

I sit in the Chaddy and was disappointed with the noise yesterday to be honest. No lack of effort from the MC but the rest of the Chaddy didn't really follow suit and most chants dwindled away quickly. As you say Mark, sing when yer winning.....

Just out of curiosity, were you one of those who sang with the dwindlers or those who didn't follow suit?

Not really Mark. There was singing when we pulled one back and had them rattled till they killed the 1st half by faking injury/tying shoelaces, etc. (I thought they were supposed to carry on/tell them to go off the pitch when that happens but he must have been tying them for a good minute and half. Obviously had terrible parenting that it takes him that long to tie his boots.)

At 2-2 it was alright, nothing special. One chant of the Chaddy I could only hear yesterday was the "Oldham, Oldham" one. That's the only one that was actually quite loud. The rest didnt reach this side of the Paddock. Then again. I'm guessing those in the Chaddy didnt hear a chant by the Crewe fans all game, despite the fact they spent the entire game singing other clubs songs and the clever ditty when Ricketts was subbed of "where's your murderer." - I'd be ashamed if I was a Crewe fan. To take that low amount of numbers on a saturday to a game which isnt very far is embarrassing.

3-2 was good. Till we had a comedy of errors in the box and people were thinking we were going to throw all that hard word away.

Performance wise. First twenty minute's we were awful. Crewe controlled the game and passed us all over. Saying that. They didnt really look that threatening and it was only really a disaster of an opener that cost us.

Players have actually started to think about what they're doing whilst on the ball now. Rather than just aimlessly lumping it up top every single time.

Kalala played well in Midfield. Bertrand was quality at left back and his forward runs. Reuben was solid at the back and won pretty much everything in the air. Ricketts held it up well and caused a few problems. Davies tried to do a little too much but the effort was there. Liddell actually beat a man (for the 2nd week running according to those who went Walsall).

MAN OF THE MATCH THOUGH - NEIL KILKENNY.

He may not have been on the pitch very long but the quality was there for all to see. Even with his first touch he'd done what we'd struggled to do for quite some time and beat a man. Dictates the game and ran the midfield. He's the only player in the team who can seemingly play the balls to Davies which will see him become a major threat.

Absolute peach of a finish. You could tell when it went in that

Funniest moment of the match. When the ball came in the Paddock after we'd gone 3-2 up and a lad called Danny gets it. Crewe player comes over asking for it. Danny waves it in his face. Then throws it into the Upper Tier with a big smile on his face and a cheeky. "how do you like effin time wasting". Cue roars of laughter and applause. Even from the Stewards and the Crewe player giving a little knowing smile.

DOWN WITH THE VALE............!

Not really Mark. There was singing when we pulled one back and had them rattled till they killed the 1st half by faking injury/tying shoelaces, etc. (I thought they were supposed to carry on/tell them to go off the pitch when that happens but he must have been tying them for a good minute and half. Obviously had terrible parenting that it takes him that long to tie his boots.)

At 2-2 it was alright, nothing special. One chant of the Chaddy I could only hear yesterday was the "Oldham, Oldham" one. That's the only one that was actually quite loud. The rest didnt reach this side of the Paddock. Then again. I'm guessing those in the Chaddy didnt hear a chant by the Crewe fans all game, despite the fact they spent the entire game singing other clubs songs and the clever ditty when Ricketts was subbed of "where's your murderer." - I'd be ashamed if I was a Crewe fan. To take that low amount of numbers on a saturday to a game which isnt very far is embarrassing.

3-2 was good. Till we had a comedy of errors in the box and people were thinking we were going to throw all that hard word away.

Performance wise. First twenty minute's we were awful. Crewe controlled the game and passed us all over. Saying that. They didnt really look that threatening and it was only really a disaster of an opener that cost us.

Players have actually started to think about what they're doing whilst on the ball now. Rather than just aimlessly lumping it up top every single time.

Kalala played well in Midfield. Bertrand was quality at left back and his forward runs. Reuben was solid at the back and won pretty much everything in the air. Ricketts held it up well and caused a few problems. Davies tried to do a little too much but the effort was there. Liddell actually beat a man (for the 2nd week running according to those who went Walsall).

MAN OF THE MATCH THOUGH - NEIL KILKENNY.

He may not have been on the pitch very long but the quality was there for all to see. Even with his first touch he'd done what we'd struggled to do for quite some time and beat a man. Dictates the game and ran the midfield. He's the only player in the team who can seemingly play the balls to Davies which will see him become a major threat.

Absolute peach of a finish. You could tell when it went in that

Funniest moment of the match. When the ball came in the Paddock after we'd gone 3-2 up and a lad called Danny gets it. Crewe player comes over asking for it. Danny waves it in his face. Then throws it into the Upper Tier with a big smile on his face and a cheeky. "how do you like effin time wasting". Cue roars of laughter and applause. Even from the Stewards and the Crewe player giving a little knowing smile.

DOWN WITH THE VALE............!

Saw the ball throwing incident by Danny and thought exactly what he said to the Crewe player. Maybe they will learn how to tie their boot laces properly next time.

Edited by happyterryb

Guest oa_exile

"how do you like effin time wasting".

Yep , that was Quality :laught16:

I half expected the ref to come over and book him :grin:

Yep Rocky we were on roll just before HT and expected us to go in drawing until the 'shoelacegate' ...this killed all us both on/ off the pitch (forgot to mention this period). Far more singing in the ford than Chaddy and as usual they follow the lead of us on most occasions... but lets not raise this debate again.

Danny's little incident was funny as flip ... the guys I travel with told me after the game it had the main stand in fits!!! Also when the ballboy looked to have pulled an hamstring early in the second half to cries of 'sub him' .... must say I enjoy to footy more in the Paddock!

Far more singing in the ford than Chaddy and as usual they follow the lead of us on most occasions... but lets not raise this debate again.

In all my ramblings about singing I've never criticised particular areas of BP for not singing - I criticise non-singers regardless of where they remain silent. I try to get us all singing together.

It does sicken me though when we keep getting criticism of the Chaddy End singers from the NSM and Main Stands - who needs condemnation from the opposition fans when you're being sniped at by Latics' fans?

Let's all sing our hearts out for the lads instead of measuring one small group of singers against another.

Let's all sing our hearts out for the lads instead of measuring one small group of singers against another.

who's snipping ..... I very rarely comment on such things. I moved from th Chaddy because the lookers was taking the lead at BP I have found this decision to be correct so far. Apart from the younger element of singers in the Chaddy, lookers boys are the ones that lead the way with the singing week in, week out home and away, we laugh we cry .... WE GET BEHIND THE TEAM

I wish the Chaddy would get its act together .... on many occasions I have tried to get the singing going all I do get is looks from the 'men' who think they have a divine right to be 'top' singers in the Chaddy (see start of post).... yet these lads go 'missing' and are quick to shout the abuse when things go wrong and I never see at aways except the 'big' games.

I don't measure against anyone .... the Chaddy was always the home of the singers (my home).... its a shame they are getting worse when all around them are getting better. All corners of BP should be as loud as each other. I hope the lookers comes down soon so we can go into the Chaddy and encourage each other. But you know what ... if the paddock boys start a song will the self acclaimed leader of the singers and his mates join in ... will they hell!!!

I tried many, many things to get the atmosphere going at games (more than anyone recently) appriciated by most .... but if not their idea ignored by others. I would love to start a 'ultras' group to increase the off field sopport of the team ...... you know who would be the ones to embrace it and join, probally not the singers in the Chaddy...

Saw the guy throw the ball away...sheer quality, I'll buy him a beer if I meet him. It was ironic that the time wasting actually worked against Crewe in the end, as it was them that needed the game to go on.

I wondered why we needed to go 2 down before we started to play. IMO we played the best football of this season towards the end of the first half, and for long periods in the second half. But why can't we start off playing like that? Anyway, looking forward to Tuesday, bring on Leeds.

KtF

who's snipping ..... I very rarely comment on such things. I moved from th Chaddy because the lookers was taking the lead at BP I have found this decision to be correct so far. Apart from the younger element of singers in the Chaddy, lookers boys are the ones that lead the way with the singing week in, week out home and away, we laugh we cry .... WE GET BEHIND THE TEAM

I wish the Chaddy would get its act together .... on many occasions I have tried to get the singing going all I do get is looks from the 'men' who think they have a divine right to be 'top' singers in the Chaddy (see start of post).... yet these lads go 'missing' and are quick to shout the abuse when things go wrong and I never see at aways except the 'big' games.

I don't measure against anyone .... the Chaddy was always the home of the singers (my home).... its a shame they are getting worse when all around them are getting better. All corners of BP should be as loud as each other. I hope the lookers comes down soon so we can go into the Chaddy and encourage each other. But you know what ... if the paddock boys start a song will the self acclaimed leader of the singers and his mates join in ... will they hell!!!

I tried many, many things to get the atmosphere going at games (more than anyone recently) appriciated by most .... but if not their idea ignored by others. I would love to start a 'ultras' group to increase the off field sopport of the team ...... you know who would be the ones to embrace it and join, probally not the singers in the Chaddy...

Mark, you've obviously got more of a personal feeling against certain Chaddy Enders than most. Instead of criticising other sections of the crowd, what I'm asking is why not let the Chaddy Enders get on with their singing while the Main Stand and NSM get on with theirs, especially as we can't hear each other?

It does sicken me though when we keep getting criticism of the Chaddy End singers from the NSM and Main Stands - who needs condemnation from the opposition fans when you're being sniped at by Latics' fans?

Yes but the point is even if every single person in the chaddy sings there hearts out, 150 away singers will be far louder.

Lol....and yet in the "silent" Chaddy, we can't hear you singing either....there's a pattern emerging here....

Yes but the point is even if every single person in the chaddy sings there hearts out, 150 away singers will be far louder.

You can't possibly believe that, because it's the loudest load of ballcocks I've heard on here since the last time that myth was put forward! When nearly "every single person" in the Chaddy has sung on the great occasions over the past 55 years, the noise has been deafening, even at the top of Sheepfoot Lane :excl:

as far as the crowd are concerned dont think we are going to agree.

I have been watching latics since 1977 and the chaddy end always use to be the main focal point of the singing at latics.

they were the ones were the singers used to be - not matter if the crowd was 4,000 or whatevea - and were good.

now in the same part of the crowd we are not good, now im a big believer that you try and raise your team no matter what and i do believe chaddy enders of old used to believe that too, not now with the old statement of if the team arent performing argument why should we sing which is a load of old cobblers.

yesterday on the three occassions the chaddy end started to sing it was good(yes after every goal) but the silent treatment midway through both halfs was just pathetic.

sorry diego if i am harping on too mate, only sing when we are winning is 100% spot on.