Decision day for building announced

From the oldham Advertiser

Stadium goals look achievable

OLDHAM Athletic will learn the fate of their multi-million redevelopment plans for Boundary Park on October 17 – and the Advertiser understands they have been recommended for approval.

The League One outfit’s twin applications – including detailed plans for a new main stand and outline permission for work on two other stands and residential developments around the site – will be decided at a meeting of Oldham Council’s planning committee.

And despite objections from neighbouring residents, sources suggest that officers in the council’s planning department have backed the scheme.

AdvertisementThe club lodged the extensive applications, comprising six storage boxes of paperwork, in March and must now hope the panel of 11 councillors give them the green light.

Alan Hardy, Latics’ chief executive, said: "This will be one of the most important days in the club’s history. Not only that, but we firmly believe it is also a crucial decision for the town as whole.

"We are sat here with our fingers crossed that we will get the right decision. I hope that they will realise this is a landmark development that will benefit local communities and also help to raise the borough’s national profile."

I think this is a not so subtle hint that we are going to get planning permission. They wouldn't bother investigating the foundations if they thought planning permission was not going to be granted. I wonder if this means just the NSM stand or the whole ground and housing development?

Guest oa_exile
I think this is a not so subtle hint that we are going to get planning permission. They wouldn't bother investigating the foundations if they thought planning permission was not going to be granted. I wonder if this means just the NSM stand or the whole ground and housing development?

TBH if we get the Green Light on the MSN then the Chaddy will be no probs , can see the problem being the Main Stand with the residents across the road.

TBH if we get the Green Light on the MSN then the Chaddy will be no probs , can see the problem being the Main Stand with the residents across the road.

The Furtherwood Road residents haven't got a leg to stand on, as the new development opposite them won't be any higher and all those houses were built after BP.

The Furtherwood Road residents haven't got a leg to stand on, as the new development opposite them won't be any higher and all those houses were built after BP.

I know I keep banging on about this, but isn't it the housing that being built to pay for the new stands that the residents have a problem with rather than the new stands themselves?

I know I keep banging on about this, but isn't it the housing that being built to pay for the new stands that the residents have a problem with rather than the new stands themselves?

How dont see how they can complain about new houses being built ??? How is that going to hurt them ?

I think they were complaining about the increase in traffic etc if lots of new homes were to be built.

increase in traffic ?? Thats maddness isnt it!!! Think about it. You build an extra 50 houses...that at the most an extra 50 cars going out onto broadway....hardly going to make any difference at all!!! lol :P

increase in traffic ?? Thats maddness isnt it!!! Think about it. You build an extra 50 houses...that at the most an extra 50 cars going out onto broadway....hardly going to make any difference at all!!! lol :P

I think they mean the extra construction traffic for the period of the building work .. But the company doing the work would have to adhere with times of traffic ( ie. no lorries before 7:30 am and after 5pm ) they would also have to have the roads cleaned every day .

Its a minimal distruption in the grand scheme of things !

I think they mean the extra construction traffic for the period of the building work .. But the company doing the work would have to adhere with times of traffic ( ie. no lorries before 7:30 am and after 5pm ) they would also have to have the roads cleaned every day .

I bet that the test bores are being built under Barry Owen's Lookers seat as he doesn't need it any more. :)

As the saying goes, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few :censored: eggs! And whats the betting that more than one of the moaning, whinging neighbours actually move INTO one of the new houses once its been built, and no doubt they will use the new amenities at the ground once they are built and start being utilised accordingly!!!

It's not for me to explain the residents' objections, but it isn't a matter of an extra 50 houses with one car per house. Even young couples moving in will probably have a car apiece. To get a proper impression of the impact of the new development, you need to remember that the outline planning application includes approximately 600-650 new dwellings – a mix of one and two-bed apartments and three-bed town houses – plus 80-100 key worker units. Work out for yourselves the number of cars and the impact on the neighbourhood.

On the other hand there will be fewer cars on matchdays, as a lot of the car park will disappear and the Council will introduce 'residents only' parking in the nearby streets.

It won't all be rosy for the fans either when the redevelopment is complete. If BP is like all the new stadia, the car park will be restricted to the elite few. So most people will have to park a considerable distance from BP and walk in all weathers to and from matches. Match tickets will have to be queued for on the day with no cash on the turnstiles. This is the reality of moving with the times and just think what ammunition that will give to the moaners.

I'm happy with BP as it is, but I realise that the stadium redevelopment and residential development are essential for the future survival of the Club. All the aggravation for fans that goes with a new stadium, compared to the convenience of the old BP, is just the price we'll have to pay.

Still I can look forward to state of the art accoustics to give the moaners a louder voice. :devilish:

It won't all be rosy for the fans either when the redevelopment is complete. If BP is like all the new stadia, the car park will be restricted to the elite few. So most people will have to park a considerable distance from BP and walk in all weathers to and from matches.

Surely transportation to and from the ground won't be a problem as Oldham and Rochdale will have the Metrolink in place by then with a special stop right outside BP. Oh no, this is another project that's never come to fruition isn't it :grin:

It's not for me to explain the residents' objections, but it isn't a matter of an extra 50 houses with one car per house. Even young couples moving in will probably have a car apiece. To get a proper impression of the impact of the new development, you need to remember that the outline planning application includes approximately 600-650 new dwellings – a mix of one and two-bed apartments and three-bed town houses – plus 80-100 key worker units. Work out for yourselves the number of cars and the impact on the neighbourhood.

On the other hand there will be fewer cars on matchdays, as a lot of the car park will disappear and the Council will introduce 'residents only' parking in the nearby streets.

It won't all be rosy for the fans either when the redevelopment is complete. If BP is like all the new stadia, the car park will be restricted to the elite few. So most people will have to park a considerable distance from BP and walk in all weathers to and from matches. Match tickets will have to be queued for on the day with no cash on the turnstiles. This is the reality of moving with the times and just think what ammunition that will give to the moaners.

I'm happy with BP as it is, but I realise that the stadium redevelopment and residential development are essential for the future survival of the Club. All the aggravation for fans that goes with a new stadium, compared to the convenience of the old BP, is just the price we'll have to pay.

Still I can look forward to state of the art accoustics to give the moaners a louder voice. :devilish:

Just wanted to pick up on the "I'm happy with BP as it is" line. Same here....except for the promise of beer SJ kept giving for the Chaddy End....and instead a bookies gets put in the perfect place. Mindya, the beers c*** anyway....be nice if we could change that too.....the only things I would change to BP in an ideal world....but as you've pointed out, change must happen for survival. Just hope we don't look like too much of a concrete elephant once it's done! :wink:

Just hope we don't look like too much of a concrete elephant once it's done! :wink:

New or redeveloped stadia tend to look good on the outside with decorative cladding and then it's the usual concrete corridors inside. It doesn't matter how much is spent on the stadium, at the end of the day you're sat in a plastic tip-up seat.

New or redeveloped stadia tend to look good on the outside with decorative cladding and then it's the usual concrete corridors inside. It doesn't matter how much is spent on the stadium, at the end of the day you're sat in a plastic tip-up seat.

arent they changing the main stand around once the new stand is built???

i thought that was the case,if so then the furtherwood road homeowners cant moan as they wont get the coaches arriving on matchdays and all the other traffic the main stand creates.

cant wait,finally moving with the times,yes it will be sad to see bp not as it has always been,but it is the only way for the club to survive.

arent they changing the main stand around once the new stand is built???

i thought that was the case,if so then the furtherwood road homeowners cant moan as they wont get the coaches arriving on matchdays and all the other traffic the main stand creates.

Yes, the redeveloped NSM Stand will become the Main Stand.

I think it's only the team coach which arrives in Furtherwood Road - supporters' coaches enter and leave the car park via Broadway. You're right that Furtherwood Road could become much quieter, because at the moment all delivery vehicles go there. People queueing for tickets in Furtherwood Road will also be a thing of the past.

I see it's only taken about three weeks to sell that house opposite the main entrance of BP. I hope it's that ManUre fan who's moving out because he's been lowering the tone of the area for years. :devilish:

It will be nice not having to lean three feet to the right to see the RRE goal because of the Piller to the right of my seat. I keep spilling the filling out of my pie... All that is important is that we get an unrestricted view of the pitch and the game. Would sit on an orange box to do that.

KTF