BBC Manchester

This is a message particularly for the fans of greater Manchester clubs. BBC manchester have advised that they will no longer have reporters at local grounds out of the premiership ie oldham, Bury, Rochdale, Macclesfield and stockport.

IN a nut shell there will be no reports whatsoever on the Jimmy Wagg sports show on saturdays, theysay its to save money but surely it doesnt cost much to have a guy on a phone at each ground.

Other clubs that visit Bury from around the country have BBC reporters follow them so why not us.

Bury fans have been emailing the bbc on manchestersports@bbc.co.uk and I am urging every greater manchester fan to do the same.

This may not seem like it is important to fans outside of manchester but this is another example of the media forgetting the lower division clubs and it wont be long before other local BBC stations throughout the country do the same.

If you care about your club and disagree with the BBC cutting local coverage email them with your concerns.

Was only a matter of time really, surely they could spare one of the 50 reporters they send to city games.

This is just another example of the BBC forgetting why they exist! They are too busy churning out cheap soaps with repeated story lines, property programs, and elvis singing contests...... There news channel suffers from sensational jurnalisim and now the radio stations are starting to lose there meaning!!!

The BBC should NOT be doing what the other channels / radio stations are better at doing. They should be focusing on qauility and things that mean a great deal to fewer people..... The BBC shouldnt be there to win ratings... If all the BBC do is what ITV and the other cable channels/radio stations do then you have to question what is the point in the BBC!!!

I know the above rant is abit everywhere but it really annoys the way BBC as been degraded in qauility over the years. They have totally lost direction and this is another example of the BBC concertation on ratings instead of qauility and diversity of service.

This is just another example of the BBC forgetting why they exist! They are too busy churning out cheap soaps with repeated story lines, property programs, and elvis singing contests...... There news channel suffers from sensational jurnalisim and now the radio stations are starting to lose there meaning!!!

The BBC should NOT be doing what the other channels / radio stations are better at doing. They should be focusing on qauility and things that mean a great deal to fewer people..... The BBC shouldnt be there to win ratings... If all the BBC do is what ITV and the other cable channels/radio stations do then you have to question what is the point in the BBC!!!

I know the above rant is abit everywhere but it really annoys the way BBC as been degraded in qauility over the years. They have totally lost direction and this is another example of the BBC concertation on ratings instead of qauility and diversity of service.

And therein lies an important point. Whatever the BBC chooses to discard, the independents may well pick up - and make a better job of it. So I hope a local indie station decides to fill the void - people will vote with their, er - ears!

My mum is 68, she comes to about 5 games a season and spends a fortune in the club shop every xmas on presents for me and her grandkids. She used to listen to the games on Cavell till that stopped this year so has made do with GMR, she heard something about this but only caught the last bit of the announcement and was asking me before the Leeds game. I thought she had gone soft in the head, how can local BBC not properly cover local teams? Now it turns out this is true makes my p1sh boil.

And yet they still force us to pay a license fee....what the heck for??? Idiots!

Because nobody would pay their hugely bloated organisation with it's thousands of idle bums and self-serving overpaid ponces a quarter of what they take without the threat of the law behind them? Just one possibility.

The reporter who often covers Latics, John Gilder, is a relative of a mate of mine and he said it had been rumoured this would happen for the last few seasons now. Looks like it is now true.

I know it won`t do any good but I have left the following complaint on the BBC website for their response. Perhaps if we all complain enough they might have a re-think - but don`t hold your breath.

"Jimmy advises the listeners that from this day onwards there would be no coverage of local non-premier league football teams within the broadcasting area due to budget cuts. I find this unacceptable. Why do the majority of fans in the Manchester area have to suffer at the expense of the followers of the already over publicised premier league clubs. You seem to have forgotten the reason for your existence - namely to cover local issues which will be of interest to local people. If this idea is transferred across to this particular subject then half the football supporters in the Manchester area are now dis-enfranchised at the expense of three or four teams who probably don`t need or even appreciate the coverage anyway. It cannot cost much to have a reporter in each ground on the end of a telephone giving regular updates on the proceedings, as was the case previously. It wasn`t brilliant coverage but at least we got an inkling of what was going on at our particular match. Now all we seem to have is a situation where the BBC send their local commentators to the Man City/Bolton/Wigan matches for full match commentary without reference to anywhere else. If you want to save money why not drop the full match commentaries and simply go round each ground on a regular basis to give all the local clubs some coverage, not just the "big clubs" Don`t forget there is life outside the premier greed."

KTF

Guest sheridans_world
Sir

As an Oldham Athletic fan I sincerely hope that this 'announcement' that has been made about cutting local football clubs out of the picture is false. As a tax payer and a BBC licence payer I expect to be able to hear about my local football club on the radio. The fact that they are in the football league should be enough, never mind the fact that Jimmy Wagg often entertains the likes of Mossley and Altrincham.

The BBC is a public service for the public. There are upwards of 5000 people at Boundary Park every other week (not all of these travel away), around 4000 at Spotland, 4000 at Gigg Lane, 4500 at Edgeley Park. Can you really justify cutting a service that a potential 17500 people listen to on their way home from games? Not to mention the countless other thousands that sit at home, drive their cars or sit at work and listen to the games on the radio.

The premiership is already over publicised as it is, why not cut their games? Lets face it XFM have all the Manchester United commentary, that means you don't have to bore us with that dross every week. Manchester City I don't mind, commentate on them, but can it really cost that much to put a few men on a mobile phone at 5 or 6 football grounds for an hour and a half every week?

Waiting for an answer in anticipation.

The Reply i received.

I've forwarded your complaint on to John Ryan - station editor,

Ian Cheeseman

Edited by sheridans_world

I will also knock something up tonight and send it.

Great letter to them above. Also, if its costing the BBC money to put people in the ground, open it up to the fans!! Im sure there are lots and lots of fans that would do it for nothing!!!! There is no excuess for what they are doing.

It looks like Th*ksin is up to his old tricks again. He controlled all the media in Thailand whilst he was our "democratically" elected PM.

All you'll be able to get on BBC Manchester in 6 months time will be Maiw City propaganda. Good luck

That's my Latics away Saturdays fooked - first cavell now BBC Manchester - have to rely on bloomin Soccer Saturday alone to get Latics goals n scorers - poo to the lot of em!

Or buy Latics World! :wink:

Diego...was thinking myself that it might get a few bums off to BP....but then thought, nah, don't be silly! Just be another hundred or two who's slight flickering of interest, wanes and dies away :disappointed:

Diego...was thinking myself that it might get a few bums off to BP....but then thought, nah, don't be silly! Just be another hundred or two who's slight flickering of interest, wanes and dies away :disappointed:

There's no difference to the Club between a slight flickering of interest that never shows itself at BP and one that's waned and died. Unfortunately what TTA have never had they'll never miss.