Chelt Game

Guest sheridans_world

We should have stuck Chaddy/Wayne upfront in the first half, given his pin point accuracy to crack the back of the head of the lad stood with his back towards the pitch before the game.

That was me! Karma for getting in for kids price at 23 I guess! :grin:

I didn't appreciate being told by steward number 10 when I was having a wee at half time to hurry up either. Another Latics asked if he'd be doing the same when Leeds turned up. He said he'd look forward to it. Hmmm.

As for the game it was winnable before and with them down to ten it was there for us. Should have won. Points lost again.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, what to say about yesterday.... tend to agree with most that is said above, however, as always my glass is more than half full... I think yesterday was a pretty perfect away performance... I cant remmeber them having a chance... and yet again the luick that we have suffered this season strikes and we go a goal down... this, like a couple of other games this season, is the type of game we would have won 1-0 last season... and the fans go away happy....

Speaking of happy fans.... I have to say yesterday was the first time ever I nearly had a full blown fight with an supposed Oldham fan... I say "almost" as this would never happen... but to say I was dissappointed with what this idiot sat behind me was saying was an understatement.... let me give a brief example of the utter rubbish that he was saying - constantly throughout the game...

"Taylor, your are a Sh--box, you are the worst player I have ever seen, and do not deserve to wear the shirt" :shock:

"Wolfy - you are pathetic, you will never make it in football" :shock:

(when Gary Mac comes on) "what are you doing sheridan you idiot - bring on Kalala, we need an attacking midfielder!" :shock:

(Various, constant abuse at Ricketts, despite him being the next best player on the pitch behind Gregan... then, after the goal...) "who put the ball in from the left - it was brilliant..." *mate tells him its ricketts* "Ricketts you f-ing tw*t, what the hell are you doing on the wing" :shock:

... and then, the best of the lot....

"Why the hell are te fans singing - I wont sing for this rubbish" :shock:

(with 5 mins to go) "I f-ing hate this team, this is a discrace, they dont deserve me watching this - I dont care if they win 2-1 now I am going to boo them off" "and proceeds to boo them at the end of the game... with his rather embarrassed mates looking very sheepish... :shock:

I know it is getting repetative... but we do not need fans like this.... why the hell do you drive 3 hours, pay £20, to sit and abuse your supposed team for 2 hours.... if this idiot reads this then you should be able to work out who you are as I made my opinions clearly known to ou and i'd love to hear you justify your comments..... For me, a good, if flawed performance, but one which should have easily brought 3 points.... we will keep plgging away, and we will get there...

I have never seen you so angry as you were after the match yesterday Bigfin!

Regarding the game, what people seem to be forgetting is that Crossley was a total passenger from the 5th minute. He was totally immobile and couldn't kick therefore meaning the defenders could never pass back. Due to the folly of not having a sub keeper, our priority had to be to defend and protect Crossley. That was accomplished easily and we could and should have gone on to win it.

Sounds like you had a real herbert sat behind you. It may have been the guy we were stood near at Accrington. A complete moron who clearly takes pleasure in watching his Team lose.

I have never seen you so angry as you were after the match yesterday Bigfin!

Regarding the game, what people seem to be forgetting is that Crossley was a total passenger from the 5th minute. He was totally immobile and couldn't kick therefore meaning the defenders could never pass back. Due to the folly of not having a sub keeper, our priority had to be to defend and protect Crossley. That was accomplished easily and we could and should have gone on to win it.

Sounds like you had a real herbert sat behind you. It may have been the guy we were stood near at Accrington. A complete moron who clearly takes pleasure in watching his Team lose.

I'm still angry mate! I managed to stop myself writing something last night, which would not have been, erm, as eloquent shall we say....

I just really wonder what people such as this see, and what would make him happy - this is league 1 football, get behind the boys, and thier flaws, and lets see if as one we can get out of this division... I disagree with people dailly on this board, and enjoy it when people can justify what they say, but his is just a step too far... also, there were quite a few young kids about me, who by the end of the game listening to this idiot, looked really uncomfortable... I'm surprised he didnt get smaked by one of thier parents...

... I can sort of understand it if you were about for the glory years and saw that period in our history... but this "herbert" could not have been over 18... with that drivel post I have just seen about the Oldham Youth mob or whatever, i really wonder what some people are watching this team for....

... prob serves me right for not standing with you lot as usual!

OS, so you want to replace Liddell who thou now an older player with a youngster who is doing absolute zero for the side. Taylor as been shooking and with the one assist all season, namely the cross for Wolfy's header. TAYLOR OFF NOW. I can't wait for Smalley to get back fit, he's twice the player Taylor will ever be. I love the feeling Taylor as for Latics but he needs a good long quality time in the stiffs.

As for Allott....well Mr Crab shouldn't be in the side. We have no drive in midfield apart from Kilkenny who was surprisingly way off the mark yesterday, but no player in the world can cut it week in week out. Shez needs to sort out the footballing side of the team cos it just isn't happening on the field as a unit. Without a unit at the base of your side you've nothing.

Bristolatics marks are bang on. Thou he/she as given Taylor and Allott the benefit of being kind with a rounded point up fom a .2

"Wolfy - you are pathetic, you will never make it in football" :shock:

(when Gary Mac comes on) "what are you doing sheridan you idiot - bring on Kalala, we need an attacking midfielder!" :shock:

If this idiot reads this then you should be able to work out who you are as I made my opinions clearly known to you and I'd love to hear you justify your comments.....

Someone with similar views on ISZ. Could be "your herbert"? :grin:

From past posts, I wouldn't wait too long for this guy to justify his opinion!

I thought the defence showed more of what they are made of, having to support Crossley. Didn't think we really got going, as thought Cheltenham were dire - if we had stepped up in class and pace, we could have got those 3 points easy - can see why JS was disappointed on his World comments. Impressed with Hazell, and thought Lidds had a good game. Lovely to meet Beardy yesterday and the other "crew". Two points lost IMO. Gregan solid as usual. Thought the strike force were almost frightened to try and score - Davies looked done in. Mark Allott - good game IMO. Hope a two week break from a match will help.

391 Tics there is it me or did there seem to be many more.

Also there ground was half empty today according to the attendance but it looked much more than half full.

Cheltenham obviously have difficulty understanding the numbers game. Their programme quoted Boundary Park's record attendance as 138,680 :goggle: against Man Ure in 1993. Sure as hell beats the 47,671 against Sheff Wed in 1930. But will we ever beat the 248,623 that turned up for Bradford Park Avenue v Workington in 1958? :wink:

Someone with similar views on ISZ. Could be "your herbert"? :grin:

From past posts, I wouldn't wait too long for this guy to justify his opinion!

Could well be... thanks for spreading my "love" though Inspiral! First and last time you will see me quoted on the other side! But his commets sound about right for ISZ!

TBH... I could probably narrow down his identity a bit more... but I know some of the guys who were with him are massive, true fans... and it would only serve to embarrass them by association....

... as for chris Taylor's dad... no, definitely not... maybe he was thrown out by the stewards again????!!!!

Only know of one thrown out ...... Dave decided to tell the ref what he thought of him at HT and obviously the steward thought it was towards him!!! Didn't find out until around 9pm when I bumped (and I did actually bump into him) near Gloucester station.... although I remember him telling something about it after game, I think.

Add another 6 to the 391 total tics .... we had free tickets

Only know of one thrown out ...... Dave decided to tell the ref what he thought of him at HT and obviously the steward thought it was towards him!!! Didn't find out until around 9pm when I bumped (and I did actually bump into him) near Gloucester station.... although I remember him telling something about it after game, I think.

Unlucky Dave! If everyone was kicked out of the ground for saying what they thought of the ref it would have been a very quiet stand in the second half!

Did enjoy the linesmans protestations of innocence when he came to check the nets!

Was that dave R? Unlucky him.

Yep Mr Roberts .... tried to get back in but the camera's / stewards followed him all around the ground :lol: When I saw him later he had spent the time wisely in the pub.

Free tickets .... why not me, I'm great I am. I Sing all game, I never moan, travel a hell of a lot of miles, I like pies and have a good stand up wash every day!!!!

I'm still angry mate! I managed to stop myself writing something last night, which would not have been, erm, as eloquent shall we say....

I just really wonder what people such as this see, and what would make him happy - this is league 1 football, get behind the boys, and thier flaws, and lets see if as one we can get out of this division... I disagree with people dailly on this board, and enjoy it when people can justify what they say, but his is just a step too far... also, there were quite a few young kids about me, who by the end of the game listening to this idiot, looked really uncomfortable... I'm surprised he didnt get smaked by one of thier parents...

... I can sort of understand it if you were about for the glory years and saw that period in our history... but this "herbert" could not have been over 18... with that drivel post I have just seen about the Oldham Youth mob or whatever, i really wonder what some people are watching this team for....

... prob serves me right for not standing with you lot as usual!

I was sat with BigFin and Mac and I was just as wound up with this moron sat behind us. As many have said, this board gives us all the opportunity to express views and opinions in a sensible way, but to listen to outpourings of :censored: from the likes of this pillock who thinks he's a fan is a step too far. Constructive criticism can never be denied, but to constantly slag off the entire team (I never heard one word of encouragement from him) is pointless and kills the atmosphere for the true supporters around him.

BigFin's quote re the brain donor's comments on Ricketts' pass for the equaliser just about sums him up. If the k**bhead is reading this, do us a favour mate. Next away game, go and sit with the home supporters. Next home game, try the Rocky Rd end. Then you can slag off a new team every week and, when you have matured and understand the game more, come back to Latics and try to understand what you've been missing.

That's it - rant over. :bat:

I was sat with BigFin and Mac and I was just as wound up with this moron sat behind us. As many have said, this board gives us all the opportunity to express views and opinions in a sensible way, but to listen to outpourings of :censored: from the likes of this pillock who thinks he's a fan is a step too far. Constructive criticism can never be denied, but to constantly slag off the entire team (I never heard one word of encouragement from him) is pointless and kills the atmosphere for the true supporters around him.

BigFin's quote re the brain donor's comments on Ricketts' pass for the equaliser just about sums him up. If the k**bhead is reading this, do us a favour mate. Next away game, go and sit with the home supporters. Next home game, try the Rocky Rd end. Then you can slag off a new team every week and, when you have matured and understand the game more, come back to Latics and try to understand what you've been missing.

That's it - rant over. :bat:

Ironic how it is the accused wasn't the only one slagging off Ricketss I seem to remember the Champ manager correspondence being chorlted at by the very same bunch who are tearing strips off SuperTaylor.

He isn't the only one to make cheeky jibes.

Ironic how it is the accused wasn't the only one slagging off Ricketss I seem to remember the Champ manager correspondence being chorlted at by the very same bunch who are tearing strips off SuperTaylor.

He isn't the only one to make cheeky jibes.

Ironic how this thread has become a love in too (as most on OWTB become...click, click) about the game. Who met who, whoopies about this and that which went on at the game with mates etc....the love in which I've often said OWTB is (yep I'm here...why???......coz it seems this is now - unfortunately - the website opinion former which JKL was.....and it was, despite what ppl think...otherwise Blitz and co wouldn't have been on it.....we know who was reading and acting on opinions!)....as it is, a post on the game that's become a...hey mate, met you here, met you there etc.......rather than discussing the real issues about the Cheltenham game.....that for the 2nd time this season we couldn't beat 10 men, against relegation fodder this time (worst team that those who went had seen!) and supposedly defended well, yet still let in a goal. Let's keep this thread to what it really should be about please........what's going badly, badly wrong with the side and what people saw regards the lads on the pitch....which is what counts. If you all want to high five one another, then surely another thread can be created for that?!?! As it is......this thread surely should discuss what happened on the pitch...or where we are concerned.....more to the point....what didn't! And why it didn't!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Been saying we have problems in the midfield for weeks. Our movement is terrible in there excluding Kilkenny but we can't rely on him to run everything all the time. I'm surprised people are giving Allott such a high rating (relatively) as I wasn't that impressed by him today as he drifted through most of it imo without really doing all that much. A few impresive meaty challenges but not really what we needed imo today.

I posted the other week about how we lack players who are willing to move into the spaces beyond the opposition midfield and get close to Ricketts and Davies and get the ball back off them. Too many times the midfield are too far away from the strikers and when they play the ball into them they don't look to move after the ball and cause the opposition problems. This is especially evident with Allott who often plays the ball and stands still and wnats the ball back in the exact same position he just released it from. Kilkenny is the perefect example of a centre midfielder for me as he always wants the ball. He gives it and looks to move into space and get it back to progress the play up the pitch. Unfortuntately he can't do it all on his own. I'm glad we have started utilising the quality of Ricketts a bit now though (or at least the likes of Bertrans and KK have anyway). We've started looking for his chest or feet where he can get it under control and really hurt the opposition by bringing others into play either by laying it off or by truning and making them commit men towards him. That is one positive out of the last couple of games. Unfortunately though that isn't going to be enough to see us rising up the table. One of the 3 Kalala, Allot or McDonald need to step upto the plate. Either Gary Mac has has to recapture that form from the start of last season or Kalala needs to be willing to push on a bit more and look for the ball. To me it is obvious that we are strongest when JP and KK play together. JP's energy helps us keep a good tempo and win the ball higher up the pitch, which to an extent covers up for our lack of movement.

Looking at the team selection as well I think we need to drop taylor for the moment. Liddell has raised his game, Davies isn't working all that well with Ricketts and to me it seems natural to move him out onto the left. I'd like to see Wolfy given a chance up front alongside Ricketts. Today we saw some sort of partnership form between the two. A number of us have been saying for weeks that Ricketts has been winning plenty of flick ons in good areas and putting the ball into places where you would hope his partner would be looking to run into. Davies doesn't seem to be anticipating the flicks at all and the defender has already moved across to cover by the time he has set off. Wolfy gambles and today it very nearly paid off at the end. His movement is superb and he seems to always look dangerous everytime he comes on. Going back to Taylor he is looking flatter and flatter imo. Maybe his confidence is dropping through having had a few bad appearances in a row or through not being comfortable crossing on his left foot (which has been truly awful) I think a decision has to be made either way on the Taylor situation. We all know he has a lot of potential and can cause teams in this division alot of problems so we shouldn't give up on him by any stretch, just think about moveing him to the right, maybe in a cameo role late in the game when he can run at the tired full back.

Main problem though as I have said is the distance between the midfield and strikers and the overall movement through the midfield. We saw the danger caused by KK when he managed to get onto the ball beyond the opposition midfield. But he is being relied on too much. Shez needs to drill it into the other 3 that we need them to stand up and be counted. Allott is fine when we are winning as he is perfect as a combative midfielder and he slows the tempo of the game, but when we can push on for a win like today, we should be getting Kalala on as soon as possible imo as then we can force errors higher up the pitch and keep the tempo high. Today was too slow and stagnant.

There are the makings of a good team, one that could sneak into the play offs imo, but we do have obvious limitations that we need to find ways round.

Agree with everything said in this post. I said it last week re Davies and Ricketts. Sheridan needs to get Davies in the reserves to rebuild his confidence, giving Wolfy a chance for 90 minutes alongside Ricketts.......

A couple of locals in the sports bar afterwards told us Ricketts had elbowed the lad who swung at him. If he did, then I suppose getting away with it makes up for all the times he gets blown against for doing nowt.

For now I'm standing by my thoughts that we haven't known what our best team is since KK joined. TBH I can't see how to use the players we have other than in a 3.

Bizarre moment of the day was in the taxi to the station. The carrot-crunching driver, when he kindly turned up, was listening to the Red Soxx game. He was suprised to find that we wanted the rugby on, as he presumed that we would be cheering United on, what with coming from the same part of the world. Eh?

Ironic how this thread has become a love in too (as most on OWTB become...click, click) about the game. Who met who, whoopies about this and that which went on at the game with mates etc....the love in which I've often said OWTB is (yep I'm here...why???......coz it seems this is now - unfortunately - the website opinion former which JKL was.....and it was, despite what ppl think...otherwise Blitz and co wouldn't have been on it.....we know who was reading and acting on opinions!)....as it is, a post on the game that's become a...hey mate, met you here, met you there etc.......rather than discussing the real issues about the Cheltenham game.....that for the 2nd time this season we couldn't beat 10 men, against relegation fodder this time (worst team that those who went had seen!) and supposedly defended well, yet still let in a goal. Let's keep this thread to what it really should be about please........what's going badly, badly wrong with the side and what people saw regards the lads on the pitch....which is what counts. If you all want to high five one another, then surely another thread can be created for that?!?! As it is......this thread surely should discuss what happened on the pitch...or where we are concerned.....more to the point....what didn't! And why it didn't!!!

Calm down! People are discussing the match but I don't see anything wrong with people saying nice to meet you and stuff like that. It's called being friendly :)

Like you say Ross you have a choice and if you don't like what is posted then ignore it.

Just like you have chosen to ignore the posts by those present at Cheltenham whose views don't fit in with yours. That isn't a go at you not being there as I know you miss very few games and there was good reason.

Perhaps when you see the highlights on LaticsWorld, you will see just how immobile Crossley was. Actually, you probably won't because other than the penalty (ridiculous decision to have it retaken by the way), the team played superbly to protect him for 85 minutes. This against a team of giants playing at home - normally for Oldham, that's a recipe for disaster.

Yes Cheltenham were poor - just like Crewe and Walsall. And of course Leeds were poor too. Maybe they were poor because that is all we allowed them? Nah - we are Latics fans so that can't be right. Let's face it, Walsall's form hasn't been too shabby since we played them has it? Wins at Hartlepool; Doncaster and a drubbing of Huddersfield.

I'm not saying that we are playing well and anyone can see there are problems in certain areas. On Saturday, we created the majority of the chances and should have won. Kilkenny had an off day as did Davies to a lesser extent. There are problems and once again, it was mainly because we did not have a Centre Forward playing alongside Ricketts to pick up the many decent lay-offs that he made. Ricketts actually got to the by-line twice and on both occasions, Davies was unable to convert.

I read some crap on here on Saturday night with one poster saying Ricketts was lazy and that his head dropped. I think it was the posters first match of the Season and so it was clear to me that the guy had a pre-conceived idea because in no way could he be called for not putting effort in on Saturday. Back to the missing Centre Forward issue, Wolfy did more in 10 minutes to link up with Ricketts than Davies did in 80. Similarly McDonald when he replaced Allott.

The big thing for me though was the crazy decision to play with no Sub Keeper. It has caught up with us after 3 games and I cannot see how we have benefitted in the previous matches. Crossley's injury totally changed the game and cost us all 3 points in my opinion.

I've made these comments a few times since I got back but they seem to have passed you by - instead, you have chosen to high 5 those who agree with your views which largely have been about creating chances - something we did repeatedly on Saturday. Ironically, because I also enjoy the social side of matches, you make it sound as if me and some others are the ones with a problem!

There is a choice of Messageboards Ross. This one was set up because people were sick of certain things happening on JKL where there was absolutely no moderation whatsoever and every thread seemed to be infiltrated by opposition fans or those with an overly aggressive manner. That may suit someone like yourself who thrives on controversial argument but most of us want to discuss things about Oldham Athletic; the matches and the social side of things. That is what happens on here - and there are differences of opinion and arguments. As a moderating team, we now only step in where Members complain or where there has been a serious breach of our rules.

I use ISZ and always read it. I enjoy banter with opposition fans on occasion but if I want to talk about Latics, then I do so on here. The posters are largely the same as used JKL but without the moronic intervention from Tranmere fans; OldhamGFC; Jewell; fancydan etc.etc.

As for the social side, because of OWTB, there were at least 3 people there on Saturday who would not have been there normally. I'm sure there were more such as a few of the Bristol contingent etc. Same happens for home matches etc. If that has come about because of a bit of camaraderie on here, then I'm all for it. You don't have to read it and there are plenty of threads which purely talk about Latics and the game. Topics do sometimes take a diversion - such as people talking about Liddell on a Ricketts thread. :o

Like I say, if you don't like it, then you have a choice. Try opening your ears though and listening to opinion other than your own. You aren't always right.

There are other choices and also other points of view.