Wasted talents?

Just read the thread on Lewis Alessandra and there's reference to Carlos Roca who I'd totally forgot about but recall a buzz when he came on the few times I can remember, then thought about Andy Gorton (Everton away comes to mind) and to a lesser degree Billy Kenny. Are there many more and were the aforementioned that good?

Edited by MouldyOldDough

Roca found his level yet now and again he could excite with his mazy runs and his low sense of gravity helping him out. Andy Gorton was imho a fantastic talent. Most keepers it is said as to have a touch of madness about them, but Andy had madness in buckets full. If ever a man was on self destruct mode this was the guy but what a cracking keeper. Billy Kenny, well we never saw enough of the Coke head (allegedly) at Latics to form a good opinion. He was well thought of at Everton and big fat joe took a gamble on the lad due to his reputation as a player and told him it was last chance saloon. The rest is history as they say and Billy choose Coke or Coke choose Billy, which ever way he was out of football.

Slightly different to above but there as been quite a few who seemed to have the talent at Latics earning themselves a perceived bigger club move only to return a pale shadow, the one that sticks out in my mind was John Ryan.

Edited by Lags

I was more goin down the line of the topic thread of wasted talents. I wouldn't say Goram wasted his talent goin on to play for Rangers for a good few years. Whereas John Ryan went to Wednesday (who were at the time higher up the league) and became a big time Charlie, came back in quick time a fat :censored: and was rubbish!

Edited by Ackey

still playing and captain of Farsley Celtic - playing with scot mcniven and ryan sugden of course being managed by Lee Sinott

Biggest waste of talent at BP was defo Billy Kenny!

The guy could of played for England, was one of the most promiesing young players in england. Kicked out of everton for drugs, came to us but didnt change his ways.... What a waste!

Edited by oafc0000

Guest oa_exile
Mathew Tipton (Outscored Owen in the same junior team consistently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Now playing for Hyde United , saw him the other week playing against Southport at the Haige.

Tippy scored but was not enough as they lost 2:1

>>Tippy<<

And on the same subject of "Wasted talents" another ex who cost us £150K and failed to hit the big time. He didnt play V Southport >>Neil Tolson<<

Now playing for Hyde United , saw him the other week playing against Southport at the Haige.

Tippy scored but was not enough as they lost 2:1

>>Tippy<<

And on the same subject of "Wasted talents" another ex who cost us £150K and failed to hit the big time. He didnt play V Southport >>Neil Tolson<<

In a long alcohol-fuelled :rant.sml: in the Quids Inn in Douglas, Isle of Man, Tippy repeatedly told me that he was Latics' best striker and how frustrated he was that he hadn't been given enough opportunities to prove it. I liked him as a player and tried to give him 'fatherly' advice, but it is difficult to have a sensible discussion in that sort of atmosphere. :drinking66: He was almost as wild as he was during his goal celebration at Hednesford in the Cup! :shakeit::grin:

I also like Neil Tolson and I was there when he scored his first goal for Latics at Minehead in a pre-season friendly.

Michael Clegg never got over leaving the scum.

Lol..I wish I could make a career out of being passed the ball, under no pressure, from my keeper and then quickly (or in his case, ASAP) playing it forward to Beckham. Micheal Clegg....if anyone should be arrested for impersonating a football, he should. :censored:!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Wasted talent canidate

//////////////////////////////~~~~~ Craig Dudley~~~~~////////////////////////////////

He was good!

Shown us how its done against us when playing for burton albion :shock: .

Asthma wasted his talent.

Theres only one craig dudley , walking along , singing a song , Walking in a dudley wonderland!!!!

Wasn't Ryan Sugden supposed to be the next big thing based on his reserve scoring record? A pre-Chris Hall, if you like.

Ryan Sugden had a loan spell from Latics to Burton Albion in the 2000/01 season during which time he scored 7 goals in only 9 appearances. I spoke to him in Burton during that spell when he was staying at the Midland Hotel. He was still hoping to make it with Latics at that time.

He went on to score goals for Scarborough and Chester. Then Nigel Clough took the opportunity to sign him in 2003. However, he didn't seem suited to the Burton air a second time around, and he failed to live up to his promise.

Craig Dudley had been signed by Burton Albion as a player with potential who needed to recover from injury. Nigel Clough gambled that Dudley would be the better propect than Sugden. After only two months at Burton, Sugden was offloaded to Morecambe in a deal bringing Robbie Talbot to the Brewers.

Dudley never did recover properly from injury and only showed during brief spells the form expected of him. Dudley became a player that no-one seemed to want. Nigel Clough tried to offload him, but a lack of interest from other clubs forced him to retain his services. When Dudley reached full fitness he bacame a fans' favourite in 2005, being known as the 'comback kid'. For a time he never looked back and established himself as one of the first names on the team sheet when fit.