Is it only me that thinks?

There is no substitute for experience, provided it comes with the right player. Time will tell.

whilst i agree that you cant knock experience,there has to be a slight cause for concern that he is the only keeper we can get.

i know shilton played past 40,but one of the main attributes of a keeper is lightening reflexes and agility.

i hope he turns out to be a blessing in disguise and a catalyst to push on.

whilst i agree that you cant knock experience,there has to be a slight cause for concern that he is the only keeper we can get.

It wasn't just a case of taking a keeper on loan - it needed to be one whose club would permit him to play in the first round of the F.A. Cup. That reduces the number of available keepers.

It wasn't just a case of taking a keeper on loan - it needed to be one whose club would permit him to play in the first round of the F.A. Cup. That reduces the number of available keepers.

Ye and most keepers arent going to leave just for a month or two .. most will want a long term loan deal so that again will reduce possible candidates.

What a delightful turn of phrase you have Mr Coconut. A great example to our younger readers.

blu

Wow.....more "let's have a go at Coco" rhetoric!!! Absolutely nowt wrong with the phrase....one that's often used in terms of talking about money....unless you want to read into it to ridiculous lengths and make it an issue! Just be careful if you ever mishear someone and use the phrase "come again!"

Since we've spunked all our money on 'stars' like Ricketts and Hughes he's about as much as we can afford.

Or alternatively put. Since we budgeted for only requiring two keepers it is unlikely that we have much left over for a third.

It is a short term loan, and uses him in the FA Cup. This rules out virtually every keeper so the list would be very short, with the two options being very experienced or very inexperienced. I know which I'd prefer.

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron, Shez speaks about Marlon:

"Boss: new keeper can be a hit

MARLON Beresford: will go straight into tomorrow’s starting line-up

by MICHAEL YARWOOD

ATHLETIC boss John Sheridan has backed Marlon Beresford to make a big impact at Boundary Park after taking the goalkeeper on a month’s loan.

Beresford signed from League One rivals Luton Town and will go straight into the team for tomorrow’s game at Huddersfield.

The 38-year-old boasts vast experience after making more than 550 appearances for 11 different clubs, including four on loan.

He has been out of favour at Luton this season, but his arrival solves the goalkeeping crisis caused by injuries to both Mark Crossley and Les Pogliacomi.

Sheridan said: “I played with Marlon a long time ago at Sheffield Wednesday and he’s a good ’keeper and a good talker.

“He’ll be positive in the dressing room and something else might be around the corner if he does well in his first month.

“I think he will, and this is a very important time for us to do well as a team because there are games coming thick and fast.

“It’s going to be a hard month but, if we do things properly, our position could look good at the end of it.”

From tomorrow to November 20, Athletic will play at least eight matches — and it could rise to 10, depending on their progress in the cups."

The vast majority of other Clubs in our League would simply be playing their reserves/ youth team keeper.

We are incredibly fortunate that we have owners prepared to dip further into their pockets to get us an experienced player for the sake of a couple of matches.

There's a point I've stressed on here and ISZ though that's being missed...we shouldn't need to be looking for this GK...we had two lads, the Smiths, last season who didn't disgrace themselves and got cast adrift extremely quickly for my liking. A year on, I'm sure they'd learnt a lot and would've loved a chance with us. Sad that we've instead left our reserve/young coming through keepers, so inexperienced (just out of nappies) and not kept on one at least who could've been given the chance had our main two gone down to injury. Very short sighted IMO.

There's a point I've stressed on here and ISZ though that's being missed...we shouldn't need to be looking for this GK...we had two lads, the Smiths, last season who didn't disgrace themselves and got cast adrift extremely quickly for my liking. A year on, I'm sure they'd learnt a lot and would've loved a chance with us. Sad that we've instead left our reserve/young coming through keepers, so inexperienced (just out of nappies) and not kept on one at least who could've been given the chance had our main two gone down to injury. Very short sighted IMO.

You may well be right.

I certainly never saw enough of the Smiths to make a judgment but it looks like our Goalkeeping Coach did. It would certainly be interesting to keep an eye on their respective careers as they get older.

What does make me laugh though is the people rubbishing Beresford based on a few claims from opposition fans. Something similar happened when we were about to sign Joe Murphy a couple of years ago. Things didn't work out too shabbily for him and Scunthorpe!

I really did think this was a short term deal for Beresford but reading Shez's comments, it could be for longer. Still, let's give the guy a chance and if he keeps a few clean sheets, then it would be a nice problem to have.

I certainly never saw enough of the Smiths to make a judgment but it looks like our Goalkeeping Coach did. It would certainly be interesting to keep an eye on their respective careers as they get older.

Sometimes when people say that to me, about watching their careers, I often think sometimes real talent gets lost in the lower leagues. Not saying the Smiths had that, I don't know but IMO they didn't disgrace when I watched them, but reading over that topic the other day about "wasted talents" and it just made me think that some players in the lower leagues probably have lots of talent but it gets wasted for many reasons. Mainly, that they get dragged into other sides poor standard of games and their managers possibly woeful tactics and the talent is wasted. I think most that fall from this level, will rarely ever get a look in unless the talent they have really has been glaringly obvious, but missed at the club they've been at....given the chance, they possibly would've swam and maybe even gone up the ladder. I'dve liked us to have given at least one of the Smiths that chance....oh well....

Guest oa_exile

As you are aware Terry spent some time at the end of last season at Southport , was released by OAFC and took up a contract at Southport.

Terry has been sat warming the bench all season to date.

This is just a player to fill the unfortunate 'gap' that needs filling, following Crossley's injury at Cheltenham.

Shez has simply gone for the simple and COMMON SENSE option of taking on someone who he knows what to expect from. On and Off the pitch. He does well. Possibility to take a look at him closer. He does cack. Ta'ra!

Would you rather have a 16 year old in with absolutely no back up for him whatsoever?? Josh did well against Sheffield Wednesday in Pre Season but he's not ready for 1st team football.

Permanant signing by all means have a moan. As for the question posed, 'is he all we can get'. Probably. Probably not. Who knows? Though we havent had an awful lot of time to seek a replacement and let's be honest. How many good keepers do you find sat warming benches and looking like their manager wants them to get a bit of experience. Not many.

This is just a player to fill the unfortunate 'gap' that needs filling, following Crossley's injury at Cheltenham.

Shez has simply gone for the simple and COMMON SENSE option of taking on someone who he knows what to expect from. On and Off the pitch. He does well. Possibility to take a look at him closer. He does cack. Ta'ra!

Would you rather have a 16 year old in with absolutely no back up for him whatsoever?? Josh did well against Sheffield Wednesday in Pre Season but he's not ready for 1st team football.

Permanant signing by all means have a moan. As for the question posed, 'is he all we can get'. Probably. Probably not. Who knows? Though we havent had an awful lot of time to seek a replacement and let's be honest. How many good keepers do you find sat warming benches and looking like their manager wants them to get a bit of experience. Not many.

i think he was merely questioning the age thing,and possibly the fact he hasnt played in a game this season.

its his opinion,and i must say the opinion of quite a few tics fans in pubs round chadderton.

we have had 2 weeks to find a replacement,maybe not a lot of time in some peoples eyes,but more than enough in others.

i think if the keeper had been someone like grant then you would have had 100% onside.

yes its only for a month,but just say it turns out like andy gorams second spell.we could be bottom of the league again and out of cup competitions couldnt we.

i think he was merely questioning the age thing,and possibly the fact he hasnt played in a game this season.

its his opinion,and i must say the opinion of quite a few tics fans in pubs round chadderton.

we have had 2 weeks to find a replacement,maybe not a lot of time in some peoples eyes,but more than enough in others.

i think if the keeper had been someone like grant then you would have had 100% onside.

yes its only for a month,but just say it turns out like andy gorams second spell.we could be bottom of the league again and out of cup competitions couldnt we.

great keeper,