Shez thinks we were excellent in the first half

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the moaners are in abundance today...

Is one point better than no points...... errr.... YES

Is scoring a goal better than scoring no goals.....errrr.... YES

Did we create enough CHANCES to put the game away (that had we had two first team strikers on we might have scored)...errr... YES

Did we have a goalkeeper who hasnt even trained with our team ... err... YES

Did we only have one first team striker on the pitch... errr... YES (See above about chances)

All the factors cannot be thrown to one side, we have a keeper who doesnt know his defence, we have two FIRST TEAM strikers out (Wolfy is NOT first team, playing in the first team is different to having 50 first team games under your belt), we got a point away from home, we scored.

Why can't people see this as a positive? Yes we should have won, yes Huddersfield were there for the taking but we didnt win. Get over it, take the positives and MOVE ON! We should be looking at Donny tommorow now. Saying right well Taylor should be dropped, wonder if Hughesy will be on the bench etc etc. Not brood on something that has been and gone.

I know that going into tommorows game I will be more confident in Beresford because he will atleast had chance to say hello to his captain and fellow defenders before he plays a game. I know that Rico will be back, I know that Craig Davies will be as goal hungry as ever after scoring a cracker on Saturday.

Who's moaning!! All I'm saying is that Latics are a far better side than the opposition was on Satdi... We had them there for the taking in the first half and should have done so. Can you possibly explain that second half performance to me?

I want the Latics to be playing in the Premiership within five years like everybody else but I am always going to be honest in my appraisal of their performances. It's more than you're being. My God, One goal against opposition like that and you're happy. You've not set your sights very high this season have you... :mainstand:

Who's moaning!! All I'm saying is that Latics are a far better side than the opposition was on Satdi... We had them there for the taking in the first half and should have done so. Can you possibly explain that second half performance to me?

I want the Latics to be playing in the Premiership within five years like everybody else but I am always going to be honest in my appraisal of their performances. It's more than you're being. My God, One goal against opposition like that and you're happy. You've not set your sights very high this season have you... :mainstand:

anti shez comments???

everybody is entitled to voice there opinion,they pay there money,its there priveledge.

now the opinions of about 50 regular posters on this board make not a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things.not everubody that goes to latics games come on message boards.

people on here know,that in the long run shez will get it right,and take us further than we have been in recent years,but the vast majority of home fans who dont use boards will have vastly differing opinions.

we wont be the ones booing players off,but joe public might.

and at the end of the day,you will never know what ronnie moore may or may not have done,look at his second season at tranmere,the table doesnt lie.and he has hardly had any money.maybe just maybe a second season,with the kind of money and backing shez has had it could all be a different kettle of fish. you will never know.

that said i hated ronnie moores style of football,wasnt pleasing on the eye,but in certain cricumstances was effective.

anti shez comments???

everybody is entitled to voice there opinion,they pay there money,its there priveledge.

now the opinions of about 50 regular posters on this board make not a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things.not everubody that goes to latics games come on message boards.

people on here know,that in the long run shez will get it right,and take us further than we have been in recent years,but the vast majority of home fans who dont use boards will have vastly differing opinions.

we wont be the ones booing players off,but joe public might.

and at the end of the day,you will never know what ronnie moore may or may not have done,look at his second season at tranmere,the table doesnt lie.and he has hardly had any money.maybe just maybe a second season,with the kind of money and backing shez has had it could all be a different kettle of fish. you will never know.

that said i hated ronnie moores style of football,wasnt pleasing on the eye,but in certain cricumstances was effective.

I cant work out who you was reply to there edhunter....

The majority of comments on here are anti-shez so I dont understand you use of question marks.....

As for Ronnie Moore...seems like your in agreement with me....the outcome would of more than likely have been a good season under him....

I cant work out who you was reply to there edhunter....

The majority of comments on here are anti-shez so I dont understand you use of question marks.....

As for Ronnie Moore...seems like your in agreement with me....the outcome would of more than likely have been a good season under him....

i think if the owners had stuck to there guns and got over the fans moaning,and given him the same budget shez has had,then yes...more than likely we wouldnt be where we are now.

but obviously the threat of a thousand fans not renewing tickets was too much for the owners to take,never mind the fact that they had to pay him off,which offset 1k fans leaving anyway.

i just can understand why,we have resorted to long ball tactics from the off given that shez was a passing flair style player,and why he seems blinkered to certain players not performing.

maybe were not seeing the bigger picture,the defence is almost there,but the stikeforce isnt.

you can have the best defence in the world,but unless you start hitting the net it counts for nothing.

i think if the owners had stuck to there guns and got over the fans moaning,and given him the same budget shez has had,then yes...more than likely we wouldnt be where we are now.

but obviously the threat of a thousand fans not renewing tickets was too much for the owners to take,never mind the fact that they had to pay him off,which offset 1k fans leaving anyway.

i just can understand why,we have resorted to long ball tactics from the off given that shez was a passing flair style player,and why he seems blinkered to certain players not performing.

maybe were not seeing the bigger picture,the defence is almost there,but the stikeforce isnt.

you can have the best defence in the world,but unless you start hitting the net it counts for nothing.

Just because Sheridan was a good player it does not mean that he can turn 3rd division players into good players, if the players we have were as good as Sheridan then they wouldnt be playing for us. Being able to play a good passing game himself is very different from getting 11 other players playing a similar type of game.

What i do find a bit worrying is when our player start to lack a bit of belief in themselves and their form drops i have yet to see any real evidence that our coaching staff are able to get them believing in themselves again. Of course whatever Sheridan said to Gregan worked, he's now back to doing what he does best but he is a very experienced player and just needed a kick up the backside. Eardleys form has improved but thats since he got his first cap for Wales - he couldnt have wished for a better confidence booster!! But the likes of Taylor, McDonald and Pogs last season they haven't been able to get them playing anything close to the players that they can be.

I personally was gutted when they got rid of Moore but they appointed Sheridan i have supported him 100% and will continue to do so but i do think it was slightly too early for him to make the step up and he also brough in others with little or no experience to work alongside him. Basically he's learning on the job and he has done a good job but there are still area's where he and his staff need to improve and hopefully they will do soon. Sheridan has been given an easy ride by the fans so far but they are getting more and more impatient and they will turn on him should performances and results not improve. If this happens the club need to stay strong and stick with Shez, we can not keep swapping managers and then players every couple of years. When they got here the owners said they wanted to be an established Championship side within 5 years, thats not going to work within the time frame they set, but we can move on and become an established Championship club but they need to stick with a manager, support him and give him at least 3 season to turn things round and not keep changing things. And we the fans need to be patient and support the club even when they are not going all that well.

Hopefully a win tonight and that will give the whole club a boost

The anti shez comments are slowly building pace arent they.... Fans who think they know everything pointing out Shezs short commings.... Just like to say to you all it was you lot that put him in the job! All you prats that didnt renew season tickets and forced the club to act. Its your man in there so bloody start backing him. No doubt the fickle amongst you will now claim you actually loved ronnie and you was his biggest fan...nad you was never quite happy with shez getting the job.....

We have to give him a fair crack at the whip. Even if that means spending the rest of the season in or around the relegation zone (although I doubt we will finish much lower than mid table). I think christmas will be our turning point, hopefully Hughes will start contributing and the team will be more seattled and maybe the addtion/changing of a few more players. The sqaud is very different than last year and its going to take some time and effort to get it sorted.... For christ sake can we please be patient for once! If we had stuck by Ronnie would be in this postion now ?? Going off what is happening at tranemre i doubt that...

I think you'll find you're a million miles off target actually. Those who hated Moore are the ones who don't like anyone uttering any bad words against Shez! Those who had time for Moore are the ones who are actually utterly frustrated at going backwards. But the use of the phrase "anti-Shez" is interesting.....if people were, there'd be a loud call from them for him to be sacked. Very very few are.....because that ain't the answer. Shez has lots of time....as Moore should've been given (or at least more time). So call it "anti-Shez" if you like....when really, it's showing concern that all ain't right and having the belief that Shez will see it soon enough and sort it. That ain't "anti-Shez!"

Strangely, I didn't notice anyone howling with indignation when the new players were being signed during the summer. Most of them seemed to be good prospects for the coming campaign. Just look back at all the 'bring on August'comments. Obviously Shez's eye for a player is not faulty. If those same players dont seem to be setting the place on fire is hardly down to signing crap players? Panic just leads to worse performances and the thought of getting a new manager is just ludicrous.

Strangely, I didn't notice anyone howling with indignation when the new players were being signed during the summer.

Not sure howling is the right word, but many voice concerned over the summer. The ones who said bring on August are the ones who thought this team would be top and were chomping at the bit to give it large on the Trashmere messageboards! (Then coming hiding back here on OWTB where the Tramps can't respond to them!)

Concern has been widely expressed on the number of gambles in Crossley (age, wage, crockability), Ricketts, Hughes and Allott (doesn't need saying why they're huge gambles.) And only a good few months into a season should dictate whether they're good enough or not....ala, Gary Mc last season who started well but died away. There's always been concern at the side Shez's built, but for me, at present it ain't so much the players but how they're being played. Or more so...the wings and the detremental effect it has on our 4-4-2 system and attacking abilities. We're not playing to our players strengths one bit but Shez seems to think some things are "excellent." Hope someone whispers in his ear that they ain't and he gets to work on the side.

Guest sheridans_world
Not sure howling is the right word, but many voice concerned over the summer. The ones who said bring on August are the ones who thought this team would be top and were chomping at the bit to give it large on the Trashmere messageboards! (Then coming hiding back here on OWTB where the Tramps can't respond to them!)

Concern has been widely expressed on the number of gambles in Crossley (age, wage, crockability), Ricketts, Hughes and Allott (doesn't need saying why they're huge gambles.) And only a good few months into a season should dictate whether they're good enough or not....ala, Gary Mc last season who started well but died away. There's always been concern at the side Shez's built, but for me, at present it ain't so much the players but how they're being played. Or more so...the wings and the detremental effect it has on our 4-4-2 system and attacking abilities. We're not playing to our players strengths one bit but Shez seems to think some things are "excellent." Hope someone whispers in his ear that they ain't and he gets to work on the side.

We were talking about this tonight. The team we have on paper is, to be fair, excellent. You may disagree but on paper they have everything we need. Maybe it is time to start using a new system? What would you suggest though? We cant use three at the back, we just dont have the big bustling center halves available for that. Meaning its either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

With Hughesy getting fit i would suggest the 4-3-3. I would playing Allott, Killer and Kalala across the center and play Davies, Rico/Hughesy and Wolfy/Smalley/Allesandra.

That way we have the experience in Rico/Hughesy, the work rate of Davies and the speed of the other three. Davies enjoys crossing it in, meaning we always have two men in the box and vica versa with Wolfy/Smalley/Allesandra from the other wing.

Its worth thinking about but playing people where they enjoy playing and tend to play would help things!!

We were talking about this tonight. The team we have on paper is, to be fair, excellent. You may disagree but on paper they have everything we need. Maybe it is time to start using a new system? What would you suggest though? We cant use three at the back, we just dont have the big bustling center halves available for that. Meaning its either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

With Hughesy getting fit i would suggest the 4-3-3. I would playing Allott, Killer and Kalala across the center and play Davies, Rico/Hughesy and Wolfy/Smalley/Allesandra.

That way we have the experience in Rico/Hughesy, the work rate of Davies and the speed of the other three. Davies enjoys crossing it in, meaning we always have two men in the box and vica versa with Wolfy/Smalley/Allesandra from the other wing.

Its worth thinking about but playing people where they enjoy playing and tend to play would help things!!

For me it's a simple 4-4-2 with wingers where they can naturally play and be effective. Taylor RW, Bertrand LW (if Chelski say no, send him home and get in a LW). On the way to the game tonight it came up that Shez might not be fiddling with the wings, as we've no LW to fill in for Taylor if he moves him. Thing is....we didn't when Adams came back for a 2nd spell, but we still created far more than we look like doing at present. And the same, when we had Paul Reid on the LW and no RW. I'd rather be a bit unbalanced as we were back then, than having 2 ineffective players, damaging the way we want to play. My side would be along the lines of....

GK - Whoevers fit at present :wink:

RB - Eardley

CB - Hazell

CB - Gregan - Trotters if Greegs is injured

LB - Lomax (get him back FFS!)

RW - Taylor (Smalley as back up)

CM - Kilkenny

CM - JP - but with strict instructions to get forward with the play and in the box (he loved doing this in preseason!)

LW - Bertrand (or a replacement if Chelski get shirty)

CF - Ricketts

CF - Davies

Full backs and wingers overlapping. Players filling into other peoples places and lots of movement, rotating positions...pulling markers about, stretching defences etc.

Lids on the bench to come on and play in behind the front two, if we have to chase games. And also, if needed, going to a 4-3-3 whereby Wolfy plays LF, with Davies CF and Ricketts RF. Allott would also be useful to use later on in games....got to say, he seems the best from at range lately. If he plays, maybe worth sticking him on FKs?

For me, that'd be playing to every single players strengths and be an effective system.

Edited by boundaryblue80

For me it's a simple 4-4-2 with wingers where they can naturally play and be effective. Taylor RW, Bertrand LW (if Chelski say no, send him home and get in a LW). On the way to the game tonight it came up that Shez might not be fiddling with the wings, as we've no LW to fill in for Taylor if he moves him. Thing is....we didn't when Adams came back for a 2nd spell, but we still created far more than we look like doing at present. And the same, when we had Paul Reid on the LW and no RW. I'd rather be a bit unbalanced as we were back then, than having 2 ineffective players, damaging the way we want to play. My side would be along the lines of....

GK - Whoevers fit at present :wink:

RB - Eardley

CB - Hazell

CB - Gregan - Trotters if Greegs is injured

LB - Lomax (get him back FFS!)

RW - Taylor (Smalley as back up)

CM - Kilkenny

CM - JP - but with strict instructions to get forward with the play and in the box (he loved doing this in preseason!)

LW - Bertrand (or a replacement if Chelski get shirty)

CF - Ricketts

CF - Davies

Full backs and wingers overlapping. Players filling into other peoples places and lots of movement, rotating positions...pulling markers about, stretching defences etc.

Lids on the bench to come on and play in behind the front two, if we have to chase games. And also, if needed, going to a 4-3-3 whereby Wolfy plays LF, with Davies CF and Ricketts RF. Allott would also be useful to use later on in games....got to say, he seems the best from at range lately. If he plays, maybe worth sticking him on FKs?

For me, that'd be playing to every single players strengths and be an effective system.

well put,well thought out and a great opinion.

sadly i cant see it happening though,i dont think shez has the conviction needed to change things round like that,its far easier for him to play them like he is and shout at them when it doesnt work,ignoring the fact there playing out of position.

we were at full strengh last night,and got spanked,he needs to change something.

Totally agree. A bit of his game that has just disappeared with him being played as deep as he is. The diamond worked perfectly well in pre season. OK we had a dodgy result or two but it was starting to look fine. Then and I'm not blaming Kilkenny here but he turns up day before season begins and the midfield shape we had been working on went out of the window!

Of course, you didn't do any of that in October 2005 over Ronnie though eh, Stipe? Oh noooooooo!!! :grin:

No I didn't panic, not one bit, the idiot shouldn't have been at this club. He didn't want to be here, he had no interest in us, port in a storm and all that. Do you really think if TTA had backed him for the mythical second season he'd have stayed once Tranmere came a calling, then again maybe, perhaps, guess we'll never know, they'd already come a calling before the season ended, as Mulder and Scully might say "the truth is out there".

Trouble is BB too many people had their own agenda re: Ronnie Moore, because the clique didn't like him he had to go. Have we progressed under Shez in year 2? Only smarties have the answer............................

The clique, the clique???? Did you think of that all on yer own then Prozac, wtf!

Have we progressed under Shez in year 2, sorry this is football, season 2. No not yet, but then we are on 10 league games in, so who knew. Yes I know the ronniesaurus didn't get that opportunity, but then he never would have, if Tranmere hadn't come up, he'd have been offski asap, simple as.

Edited by StipeTripe

The clique, the clique???? Did you think of that all on yer own then Prozac, wtf!

WTF? You know exactly what I'm on about. Several people saw JK as their own private little chat room, villfying anyone who dared to have a different opinion to the 'clique'. That's why the messageboard died on its arse. People got sick of the cliques and point scoring. You know it and I know it and no amount of smart arsed rhetoric will prove otherwise.

Have we progressed under Shez in year 2, sorry this is football, season 2. No not yet, but then we are on 10 league games in, so who knew. Yes I know the ronniesaurus didn't get that opportunity, but then he never would have, if Tranmere hadn't come up, he'd have been offski asap, simple as.

10 League games in yes; and only one half-decent performance at Walsall.

Since new year's day League and Cup

P38 W12 D9 L17

Sorry but if that had been Ronnie Moore then the clique would be in hysterics, nudge, nudge, wink, wink........to the point of getting a bleedin' UN resolution against him. So tell me, why is Sheridan immune from criticism? And have we progressed on the field? Because from January we have gone backwards and if we're still struggling come New Years Day like it or not tough decisions have to be made.

P38 W12 D9 L17

Sorry but if that had been Ronnie Moore then the clique would be in hysterics, nudge, nudge, wink, wink........to the point of getting a bleedin' UN resolution against him. So tell me, why is Sheridan immune from criticism? And have we progressed on the field? Because from January we have gone backwards and if we're still struggling come New Years Day like it or not tough decisions have to be made.

clique....lol.i was supposed to be a part of that,ridiculas.

sheridan shouldnt be immune from critiscism,he has everything to prove yet as a coach and manager,his legendary status is from his playing days.

he was very much the cheap option when ronnie pegged it back to bindipper land.

and tta wanted to be seen to be listening to the fans,the fans unanimous verdict was shez.

i think his biggest downfall was not getting in someone like big joe as a technical director or guru to help him out,that way he would have the benefit of experience to help him out.

i have every confidence that he will eventually turn things around,but.......how long will the owners put up with it,and how much more money will they allow him to spend on mediocre players.

in answer to your question of have we improved as a team....then it has to be no!! were back at square one again.

he was very much the cheap option when ronnie pegged it back to bindipper land.

and tta wanted to be seen to be listening to the fans,the fans unanimous verdict was shez.

Think you'll find that Ronnie was sacked before "pegging" it anywhere. TTA had 2 options.....splash a load of cash on another manager only for fans to potentially turn again, even if he dares to take us up the league positions. Or give those shouting loudest what they wanted.....a man to appease. TTA gave them option two.....now he has to start earning his position. And I'm sure he will....regards the clique though, it was most definitely there. If you dared stick up for Ronnie.....you were a horrible, scummy person (maybe I am, but if so, it ain't for sticking up for Ronnie! :grin:)

I'm amazed that I managed to not be burnt like a witch throughout Moores time here :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

P38 W12 D9 L17

Thing is though Prozac, there's a world of difference between the two. Ronnie was a football dinosaur, seemingly incapable of changing things around effectively - hence the 'no plan B' tag.

Shez by comparison is barely out of managerial nappies. Yes he's having a hard time and he needs to start learning from his mistakes. However, fans are rightly giving him time to do this and giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think that means he's immune from criticism - having posted myself of several occassions this season and last that I though Shez had got things wrong in certain situations.

seemingly incapable of changing things around effectively - hence the 'no plan B' tag.

No difference as yet...just labels people want to add...like "dinosaur" etc. That dinosaur has a history of promotion, given time. Might yet again.....shame it ain't with us.

Shez has time....just like Moore should've been given. Oh well....

Thing is though Prozac, there's a world of difference between the two. Ronnie was a football dinosaur, seemingly incapable of changing things around effectively - hence the 'no plan B' tag.

Shez by comparison is barely out of managerial nappies. Yes he's having a hard time and he needs to start learning from his mistakes. However, fans are rightly giving him time to do this and giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I don't think that means he's immune from criticism - having posted myself of several occassions this season and last that I though Shez had got things wrong in certain situations.

Whilst I agree Ronnie was a dinosaur, and I was fairly indifferent to his managerial style and tactics - Shez is proving to be just as 'reactive' to any problems that present themselves. We played better football under his (Shez's) cartaker tenure in 03/04, with a bunch of kids, journeymen and no hopers. Now we have these so-called big names we are dire. There's too many egos in the dressing room imo, thus explaining Shez's outburst today. One thing though Dan, has Shez convinced us he has a Plan 'B' yet? Because we are playing more hoofball than under ronnie at the moment. Yes it was :censored: and boring under Ronnie, but it was :censored: and boring in the top ten of the league. With the run we've got coming up I'll guarantee we'll be bottom four after we've played at Bournemouth. Even when we've had good sides we've been a soft touch away from home (Dowie season apart) and if we get more than four points from Forest, Orient, Bindippers and Bournemouth I'll be amazed. Last night was so predicatable, I've been watching the sdame kind of away performance for 21 years. Ok first half, 0-0 - then second half roll over and die! I know you've said you were disilliusioned in the mid-90's before regaining the spark at Maine Road well I'm going the same way mate and thats coming from someone who goes to 40+ games every season.

I know you've said you were disilliusioned in the mid-90's before regaining the spark at Maine Road well I'm going the same way mate and thats coming from someone who goes to 40+ games every season.

Not far behind here either! And I know plenty who are feeling the same....some who were also against Moore. I think it's the fact we looked like pushing forward (with Moore or Shez) and this season have hit that brick wall. That trashing of a glimpse of optimism that we were building on the pitch....which from Moore 05/06....to Shez 06/07.....we had been doing.....and now.....THIS!!!

It really is utterly frustrating and I really feel that I'll be watching a season of struggle as it stands. I was accused of being negative in July when I said I'd be happy with top 10 with this new side. I'm a realist...I was under Moore, it wasn't pretty, he wasn't a saint but we got results and were going forward. Indeed, we were last season with Shez until his negativity gripped the squad and killed the crest of a wave we'd built ourselves. I said last season that top 2 was always beyond us and that even playoffs was a superb achievement with the loss of the previous manager. So I realistically expected us to build on.....until Warne left, then Wellens, add in Haining, couldn't stop Porter to be honest, then we let triers like Eddy and Rocky go (not the best, but gave their all and was worth more of a wage that the likes of Thompson - even Bertrand on loan - ever will be!) It really, really guts me at the moment! But I'll still keep doing the Tues night JPT games and the trips to god knows where....in the hope, Shez does turn it around. Gotta hope!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Think you'll find that Ronnie was sacked before "pegging" it anywhere.

And I'm sure he will....regards the clique though, it was most definitely there. If you dared stick up for Ronnie.....you were a horrible, scummy person (maybe I am, but if so, it ain't for sticking up for Ronnie! :grin:)

I'm amazed that I managed to not be burnt like a witch throughout Moores time here :grin:

Ronnie was sacked was he, if you say so.

Oh and you dared to, ahem its like being in the infinks this, "stick up" for Ronnie, and that made you a horrible scummy person. Well isn't that typical of you, I doubt anybody with a modicum of common sense thought that, they just disagreed with you.

As for being burnt well Guy Fawkes night is fast approaching, if anybody is short of a Guy......................

Oh and Prozacky, this mythical clique, I see you've clarified that fatuous statement up for us all !!!

Edited by StipeTripe