Davies on the Left wing

Just a thought..... What do people think of playing Davies on the left wing & having Ricketts & Hughes up front. I was thinking this as Davies tends to spend most of his time out wide rather than palying a central role & with his pace he could cause full backs problems. Also, I think Hughes would bag plenty of goals running on to flick on's by Ricketts.

Just a thought..... What do people think of playing Davies on the left wing & having Ricketts & Hughes up front. I was thinking this as Davies tends to spend most of his time out wide rather than palying a central role & with his pace he could cause full backs problems. Also, I think Hughes would bag plenty of goals running on to flick on's by Ricketts.

Are you serious?

How about trying a player like Wolfy up front with Davies? How about dropping ricketts and trying something else because what we are doing at the moment isn't working, we are to easy to defend against.

As for taking the only player who seems capable of scoring for us at the moment and shoving him on the left wing?!?

It'd be worth a try as he spends most of the game going wide.

Only thing is when Shez took off Taylor on Saturday, Davies did seem to be put towards the left. He then decided he'd stay in the middle. So when he's up front he goes to the left and when he's put to the left he stays up front. He'll pick it up eventually :lol:

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

It'd be worth a try as he spends most of the game going wide.

Only thing is when Shez brought took off Taylor on Saturday, Davies did seem to be put towards the left. He then decided he'd stay in the middle. So when he's up front he goes to the left and when he's put to the left he stays up front. He'll pick it up eventually :lol:

not a bad idea.

ricketts gets the knock downs and holds the ball up well,despite what his detractors say on here.

hughes isnt fit enough yet,but would defo try davies left taylor right,and wolfy up with rico

not a bad idea.

ricketts gets the knock downs and holds the ball up well,despite what his detractors say on here.

hughes isnt fit enough yet,but would defo try davies left taylor right,and wolfy up with rico

will davies square the ball across the area though??????????? or just keep running in from the left and banging it in the side netting.

A man who has been saying this for a while now is Inspiral....I had agreed, it may be worth it if only to change something about as at present it ain't working. However, Davies got on the wing a few times on Sat and his attempts at crossing were puzzling. Indeed, one in the second half from the right, cleared the box on the left. Can't see Davies being able to cross for toffee IMO and I've changed my mind on trying him out there. Only main change I want and have wanted for 2 years is Taylor back in his right position. And go from there....

A man who has been saying this for a while now is Inspiral....I had agreed, it may be worth it if only to change something about as at present it ain't working. However, Davies got on the wing a few times on Sat and his attempts at crossing were puzzling. Indeed, one in the second half from the right, cleared the box on the left. Can't see Davies being able to cross for toffee IMO and I've changed my mind on trying him out there. Only main change I want and have wanted for 2 years is Taylor back in his right position. And go from there....

I would understand the Taylor on the right thing more if he was an exceptional crosser, but he ain't. Running with the ball is his main strength, and he is good enough on his left to cut the ball back or chip it in if he goes outside his man. I don't think it's the solution to his loss of confidence and form to wrap him in cotton wool and tell him he can stop using his weaker foot.

I agree 100% mucker, totally - would let Taylor do more damage on his matural side tooooo!

As BB80 has said, I've been banging on about this for weeks.

I like Davies and don't want to see him dropped. I do however believe we would play much better as a Team with a poacher alongside Ricketts. Hughes has to be that man long term although while he has been out, Wolfy should have been given a chance IMO. In the brief cameos that we have seen the Ricketts/ Wolfenden partnership, it has created more goalscoring threat than several matches worth of Ricketts/ Davies.

Davies spends most of his time out wide anyway so why not start him there? This confuses Taylor, who has nowhere to go and also leaves Ricketts isolated on his own up front. Since our current midfield seem unable to support the attack, we are toothless and one-dimensional.

Our sole tactic at the moment seems to be to hit a long ball into the channels so we will be losing nothing by asking Davies to get some chalk on his boots. If anything, it will make the opposition defence think a little bit more and stretch them wider by tying up the right back as well as the two Centre Backs.

It was interesting to see that Davies moved to the left wing on Saturday but by then, we seemed to have abandoned any shape by playing Smalley wide right; Davies wide left and Ricketts on his own up top. It needs to be planned and prepared for in training if it is going to happen. I still think that Davies will chip in with a few goals from left wing but hopefully, we will also get more from a proper front pairing of Ricketts plus AN Other.

At the moment, our two current wide players are luxuries that we cannot afford. Something needs to change as it patently isn't working at present.

As BB80 has said, I've been banging on about this for weeks.

I like Davies and don't want to see him dropped. I do however believe we would play much better as a Team with a poacher alongside Ricketts. Hughes has to be that man long term although while he has been out, Wolfy should have been given a chance IMO. In the brief cameos that we have seen the Ricketts/ Wolfenden partnership, it has created more goalscoring threat than several matches worth of Ricketts/ Davies.

Davies spends most of his time out wide anyway so why not start him there? This confuses Taylor, who has nowhere to go and also leaves Ricketts isolated on his own up front. Since our current midfield seem unable to support the attack, we are toothless and one-dimensional.

Our sole tactic at the moment seems to be to hit a long ball into the channels so we will be losing nothing by asking Davies to get some chalk on his boots. If anything, it will make the opposition defence think a little bit more and stretch them wider by tying up the right back as well as the two Centre Backs.

It was interesting to see that Davies moved to the left wing on Saturday but by then, we seemed to have abandoned any shape by playing Smalley wide right; Davies wide left and Ricketts on his own up top. It needs to be planned and prepared for in training if it is going to happen. I still think that Davies will chip in with a few goals from left wing but hopefully, we will also get more from a proper front pairing of Ricketts plus AN Other.

At the moment, our two current wide players are luxuries that we cannot afford. Something needs to change as it patently isn't working at present.

I think this would be a crazy thing to do. Bertrand isn't fantastic defending, he is much better going forward IMO and he would be left wide open by playing a natural attacking striker there. At least with Taylor he tracks back and gives some support to him. I think the last thing we need to start doing is playing people out of position.

I would drop Ricketts and give Wolfy a try up front with Davies for a couple of games because i think they would be a real handful for most back 4's in this league. When hughes is back i would have him up with davies.

If you had Ricketts and Hughes up front i believe it would be even easier to defend against than we are at the moment. Pace up front is the best asset any team can have in this league, for those who watch the big weekend on sky sports, these were the sentiments of the 2 people on the panel as the best way to get out of this league. Hughes and Ricketts don't have the pace to worry defenders.

I think this would be a crazy thing to do. Bertrand isn't fantastic defending, he is much better going forward IMO and he would be left wide open by playing a natural attacking striker there. At least with Taylor he tracks back and gives some support to him. I think the last thing we need to start doing is playing people out of position.

I would drop Ricketts and give Wolfy a try up front with Davies for a couple of games because i think they would be a real handful for most back 4's in this league. When hughes is back i would have him up with davies.

If you had Ricketts and Hughes up front i believe it would be even easier to defend against than we are at the moment. Pace up front is the best asset any team can have in this league, for those who watch the big weekend on sky sports, these were the sentiments of the 2 people on the panel as the best way to get out of this league. Hughes and Ricketts don't have the pace to worry defenders.

I'm simply staggered and words really fail me.

Have you watched any of our games recently?

I Hughes and Ricketts don't have the pace to worry defenders.

Neither did Beckett or Porter. Or Killen for that matter but it didn't stop them getting goals.

The simple fact is that if we are going to use a target man then he needs somebody to mop up the flicks and knock downs. Davies isn't doing that, Hughes (and probably Wolfy) would.

If we insist on playing Davies up front then we need either a target man which Wolfy certainly isn't and I doubt Hughes is either, or we need the midfied supporting the attack and surging into the box/winning the 2nd ball to feed the strikers.

We are dominating games but failing to put away our chances. Barring the aberration at Hartlepool, only one team this Season has outplayed us in the League and that was Swansea - a game we won. We need to change things attack-wise as it isn't working. Bertrand is doing ok (as you would expect for an England U-19 player from a side like Chelsea) so I really wouldn't be concerned about the defensive aspect of Taylor/ Davies' game. And talking of players out of position, what about Taylor as a left winger?

Ricketts is one of only a couple who can hold his head high recently. Even his detractors are realising his worth - and his absence was very noticeable at Huddersfield. A game that saw Davies and Wolfenden play against possibly the worst - and definitely the slowest - back four in the League and which saw us create nothing.

I totally disagree that Hughes and Ricketts lack pace. Maybe they are not as quick as Davies and Wolfenden but neither are slow. Pace is an asset agreed but you also need footballing skill to go with it. Players that are exceptional at both will not be playing in League One. Ricketts and Hughes both have pace and a high degree of skill as evidenced by their success at a much higher level. It is a risk that they will regain their sharpness but if they do.....

Neither did Beckett or Porter. Or Killen for that matter but it didn't stop them getting goals.

The simple fact is that if we are going to use a target man then he needs somebody to mop up the flicks and knock downs. Davies isn't doing that, Hughes (and probably Wolfy) would.

If we insist on playing Davies up front then we need either a target man which Wolfy certainly isn't and I doubt Hughes is either, or we need the midfied supporting the attack and surging into the box/winning the 2nd ball to feed the strikers.

Ok point taken, you don't need just pace to worry defenders but it certainly helps. If you have the variety up front then it certainly makes life easier. I'm not saying that playing Ricketts and Hughes won't work but in this league i think it's very easy to defend against 2 strikers who haven't got real pace and let them play with their back to goal.

Anyway i don't think davies on the left would work. I think we would get murdered wy a team who have a strong right hand side.

We are dominating games but failing to put away our chances. Barring the aberration at Hartlepool, only one team this Season has outplayed us in the League and that was Swansea - a game we won. We need to change things attack-wise as it isn't working. Bertrand is doing ok (as you would expect for an England U-19 player from a side like Chelsea) so I really wouldn't be concerned about the defensive aspect of Taylor/ Davies' game. And talking of players out of position, what about Taylor as a left winger?

Ricketts is one of only a couple who can hold his head high recently. Even his detractors are realising his worth - and his absence was very noticeable at Huddersfield. A game that saw Davies and Wolfenden play against possibly the worst - and definitely the slowest - back four in the League and which saw us create nothing.

I totally disagree that Hughes and Ricketts lack pace. Maybe they are not as quick as Davies and Wolfenden but neither are slow. Pace is an asset agreed but you also need footballing skill to go with it. Players that are exceptional at both will not be playing in League One. Ricketts and Hughes both have pace and a high degree of skill as evidenced by their success at a much higher level. It is a risk that they will regain their sharpness but if they do.....

Ok. I'm not sure it would work but you've explained it quite well inspiral so i will go on long with your idea (i may even try it tonight on FM2008 but if it goes teets up your in trouble) I still feel against a team with real drive down the right we would come unstuck but as we are struggling at the moment it probably wouldn't hurt to try.

Ok. I'm not sure it would work but you've explained it quite well inspiral so i will go on long with your idea (i may even try it tonight on FM2008 but if it goes teets up your in trouble) I still feel against a team with real drive down the right we would come unstuck but as we are struggling at the moment it probably wouldn't hurt to try.

If you get promoted or win a Cup then I want a share of the credit. :)

i mentioned this on an earlier thread. hughes can read a game far better than davies and will take a chance on one of ricketts knockdowns.

davies plays for himself and trys to beat every man on the field, he always has his head down.his first touch is a disgrace and when he does pass it is always 5 mins after he should have released it in the first place.

i know davies has 6 or 7 goals this season, but does he actually fill anyone with confidence when shooting at goal.the one on one was a joke at weekend ( ricketts would have scored as would wolfy or hughes )

as a team i think performances would improve, if maybe he was used in the last 20 mins from the bench. the ball would certainly stay in the final third for longer for a sustained attack. we might even work the opposing keeper once in a while.

just an opinion.... but the more i watch davies the more i lose faith in the team to score enough goals to keep us up, not to mention push for the playoffs.

i mentioned this on an earlier thread. hughes can read a game far better than davies and will take a chance on one of ricketts knockdowns.

davies plays for himself and trys to beat every man on the field, he always has his head down.his first touch is a disgrace and when he does pass it is always 5 mins after he should have released it in the first place.

i know davies has 6 or 7 goals this season, but does he actually fill anyone with confidence when shooting at goal.the one on one was a joke at weekend ( ricketts would have scored as would wolfy or hughes )

as a team i think performances would improve, if maybe he was used in the last 20 mins from the bench. the ball would certainly stay in the final third for longer for a sustained attack. we might even work the opposing keeper once in a while.

just an opinion.... but the more i watch davies the more i lose faith in the team to score enough goals to keep us up, not to mention push for the playoffs.

Maybe so, but Davies is our only consistent threat going forward, and seem's the one most likely to score at the moment.

Maybe so, but Davies is our only consistent threat going forward, and seem's the one most likely to score at the moment.

yes but if you lose davies for a while then we may create more, not only the strike pair but with the midfield pushing forward to support.

i think one of the reason the midfield is sitting back is because if we do push forward, davies will not release it and we will be caught on the break.

for the good of the team, i think he has to be changed.

dont get me wrong i am not on a hate davies campaign, but he needs to learn and by watching ricketts and hughes, and even wolfy he may well do.

his attitude seems good and he is willing to work hard, but it just is not enough.

hes scored 6, he should have twice that and he he learns his game it will happen. but at the moment its just not working.

drop him for the good of the whole team, not just one individual who looks a threat but produces nothing.

yes but if you lose davies for a while then we may create more, not only the strike pair but with the midfield pushing forward to support.

i think one of the reason the midfield is sitting back is because if we do push forward, davies will not release it and we will be caught on the break.

for the good of the team, i think he has to be changed.

dont get me wrong i am not on a hate davies campaign, but he needs to learn and by watching ricketts and hughes, and even wolfy he may well do.

his attitude seems good and he is willing to work hard, but it just is not enough.

hes scored 6, he should have twice that and he he learns his game it will happen. but at the moment its just not working.

drop him for the good of the whole team, not just one individual who looks a threat but produces nothing.

produces nothing?? He's our top goalscorer.

I understand what your saying palmer1 but to take Davies and just drop him based on a few bad decisions is silly. I would much rather have a player who works his socks off and tries for 90 minutes and makes mistakes than a player who doesn't.

Davies is the only person on the pitch that looks like scoring at the minute so keep him in.

I understand what your saying palmer1 but to take Davies and just drop him based on a few bad decisions is silly. I would much rather have a player who works his socks off and tries for 90 minutes and makes mistakes than a player who doesn't.

Davies is the only person on the pitch that looks like scoring at the minute so keep him in.

It's a big risk SIG but dropping Davies to the bench to allow Ricketts and Wolfy is IMO worth a shout. Speculate to accumulate so to speak. Let's face it, as a unit they can't do any worse than they are doing at the moment, and if it doesn't work with Rico and Wolfy then put CD back into the starting 11.

The ideal situation of course would be our midfield actually managing to get closer to the oppo's goal than the half way line - ie picking up the 2nd ball and sliding Davies and Ricketts in. Hopefully Gary Mc might be able to reproduce some of those box to box runs we saw early last season tonight! Fingers crossed anyway!

last season a hell of lot of our goals came from liddell and taylors supply.

in my opinion davies is having a negative effect on both of those players as an attacking oulet, he condences the play on the wings and doesnt release it, afecting the supply into the box, which correct me if im wrong where he should be.

i dont doubt hes scored 6 , but working hard is not enough, if you have a footballing brain and a good first touch, we can go far in this division.( not saying you dont need workers but you have to pick your moments)this is an easy game if you use your brain e.g sheridan when he signed for us ( not a realistic comparisson i know)

pace is good thing, no doubt, but at times we need to slow the game down, everthing we do is rushed , parlty due to davies.

i think he will finish top scorer if things carry on like this. but scunthorpe and colchester and ourselves to an extent last season showed, if you play as a team, this division is ther for the taking.

we have individuals, but they are not playing together, and he is the main culprit.

im not one to boo players when wearing and oldham shirt and i will give him his chance, unlike some fans with other squad members.

i just looking at from whole season point of view, not the first dozen games.

probably a mixture of what people have stated already - but Davies is not a centre forward/striker - and sorry but is no replacement for Warney.

Beterand down the left side of midfield for me with Taylor on the bench and Ricketts and Hughes when fit up front, with Davies also on the bench.

I would still play LOmax and Eardley as full backs.

in the middle Kilkenny(apart from sat how the hell he got MOM i never Know) anyway with Kalala, but if macca had his head on from the start of last season i would have him, because that macca gave the team a lot more.

sorry but i said the start of the season that Allot was crap buy and took a lot of stick for stating he was a good player, can anyone explain to me what he gives the side, i have been objecting in the hope i would be proven wrong but alas i dont think i am.

with a couple of the younger lads(Smalley, Alessandro) it will be interseting to see how they perform.