F.A cup

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont see how I missed the point there, im explaning why i dont go to FA cup games.

And as for my duty as a Latics fan??? Sorry mate but I dont think myself or any of us on here need lecturing off you about what we should and shouldnt be doing as latics fans. You really do seem to try to put yourself on a higher cloud than most latics fans. Some fans have to pick and choose there games due to money constraints and family commitments.....

As long as you make a resonable effort to go to as many game as you can then your good in my book.

Hear hear! Some of us have money constraints you know and as much as I love the Latics (31yrs watching them through thick and thin) I can't afford to blindly pay £19 to go to every game, plus travel, etc., etc. That does not make us any less worthwile fans!!!! :angry: As for kicking sand in the TTA's faces - :censored:

Hear hear! Some of us have money constraints you know and as much as I love the Latics (31yrs watching them through thick and thin) I can't afford to blindly pay £19 to go to every game, plus travel, etc., etc. That does not make us any less worthwile fans!!!! :angry: As for kicking sand in the TTA's faces - :censored:

According to some of the people on here, if you dont go to every home and away during the season you will not be regarded as a "Fan".

People will go when they can afford it, but by doing this it does not make them any less of a fan than these "Super Fans". Life is full of choices and choosing wether or not to go to a game is one of them.

I personally am stick and tired of reading these so called "Super Fans" putting other fans down just because they are not one of the "regulars" :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Edited by amoweb

According to some of the people on here, if you dont go to every home and away during the season you will not be regarded as a "Fan".

People will go when they can afford it, but by doing this it does not make them any less of a fan than these "Super Fans". Life is full of choices and choosing wether or not to go to a game is one of them.

I personally am stick and tired of reading these so called "Super Fans" putting other fans down just because they are not one of the "regulars" :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Actually, the word FAN derives from FANATIC (A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.) or FANATICAL (Possessed with or motivated by excessive, irrational zeal.)

The key part of these definitions are UNREASONING and IRRATIONAL. So, I am afraid that if you choose not to go to a game then you are NOT A FAN.

I am not having a go, becuase I don't go to all games home and away, but I consider myself to be a Latics SUPPORTER. I support my team financially and vocally.

Those who don't go to the games, but will always watch every match on the telly - read the reports in the papers etc. to me are FOLLOWERS. They follow the fortunes of the team via the media, but do not financially SUPPORT the team and are not true FANS.

So I am sorry, but I don't think that you are a fan at all - never mind a SUPERFAN. This does not mean that you are not welcome, cannot have a view or anything similar.

Actually, the word FAN derives from FANATIC (A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.) or FANATICAL (Possessed with or motivated by excessive, irrational zeal.)

The key part of these definitions are UNREASONING and IRRATIONAL. So, I am afraid that if you choose not to go to a game then you are NOT A FAN.

I am not having a go, becuase I don't go to all games home and away, but I consider myself to be a Latics SUPPORTER. I support my team financially and vocally.

Those who don't go to the games, but will always watch every match on the telly - read the reports in the papers etc. to me are FOLLOWERS. They follow the fortunes of the team via the media, but do not financially SUPPORT the team and are not true FANS.

So I am sorry, but I don't think that you are a fan at all - never mind a SUPERFAN. This does not mean that you are not welcome, cannot have a view or anything similar.

If your comments are directed at me then:-

I seemed to have got myself in the line of fire for sticking up for somebody who chose not to go to a game.

Thanks for the english lesson, I dont need to look the word up to understand what it means. I have followed the Lads through all the bad times of the last 10Yrs and all the goods times, I have held a season ticket for the last 10yrs and like I have said before I have travelled 100's miles on a cold wet Tuesday Night to the likes of Swindon and Barrow, Burton (Win, Lose or Draw) when others have chosen to watch the game from the comfort of their armchair (as have other people). But I am not the kind of person to sit in judgement of anybody for their reason's for not going to a particular game and anybody who knows me will tell you that my heart pumps Oldham Athletic through my vains and always will do.

This is the first season in the 10 that i have decieded against getting my usual ST as i have just started my own business and am working silly hours which means that i can't get to all the games like I have done, and I tell you now it is very frustrating and annoying when I cant get to the game, but my current prioritys have changed and I have to adjust to that

But just because I haven't got a ST doesn't mean that I dont support the team financially but that's another story.

There is not one single person on here who doesn't have the club at heart, but equally they shouldn't be riddiculed for not being able to afford or choosing not to attend a game for whatever reason. Granted some people don't have the commitments that others do, which enables them to attend more games than others, but lets have this same conversation in 10Yrs time and see how many are still attending all the games after they are married with a couple of kids.

Rant Over.

Ktf

Paul

AMO COMPUTER SERVICES LTD

Edited by amoweb

There is not one single person on here who doesn't have the club at heart, but equally they shouldn't be riddiculed for not being able to afford or choosing not to attend a game for whatever reason. AMO COMPUTER SERVICES LTD

I think you'll find that the topic originally started by the comment "I'm not going coz it's Doncaster we're playing" or along them lines. Nowt to do with being able to afford it etc. In that, had it been Team Bath, Harrogate Railway or some other minnow, they'dve been there for the "magic of the cup"....that attitude was one I jumped on and will do again and again....it's the same sort of apathy which runs through Oldham Borough and sadly seems evident in some of the more loyal supporters nowadays. Well I ain't gunna sit here and have apathy too and not challenge it....no matter who's nose it turns up! I hope the one poster on here that I challenged the most ended up at BP yesterday (I'm sure he probably did)....but there are many more who didn't yesterday, just coz it was Donny! Pathetic and if I was TTA, I'd wonder why the hell I was bothering.....just hope we get the council approval on Saturday or else we can kiss goodbye to OAFC!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I think you'll find that the topic originally started by the comment "I'm not going coz it's Doncaster we're playing" or along them lines. Nowt to do with being able to afford it etc. In that, had it been Team Bath, Harrogate Railway or some other minnow, they'dve been there for the "magic of the cup"....that attitude was one I jumped on and will do again and again....it's the same sort of apathy which runs through Oldham Borough and sadly seems evident in some of the more loyal supporters nowadays. Well I ain't gunna sit here and have apathy too and not challenge it....no matter who's nose it turns up! I hope the one poster on here that I challenged the most ended up at BP yesterday (I'm sure he probably did)....but there are many more who didn't yesterday, just coz it was Donny! Pathetic and if I was TTA, I'd wonder why the hell I was bothering.....just hope we get the council approval on Saturday or else we can kiss goodbye to OAFC!

:blink:

Not being funny but what do we owe tta? It was there decision to take control of OAFC, their risk if they lose money and most importantly their reward hopefully when they make a nice tidy profit! As for the supporters who didn't turn up yesterday, well not all of us have a bottomless pocket of money do we now. Some of us have to select our games carefully, not saying I share this opinion but I certainly understand it.

Not being funny but what do we owe tta? It was there decision to take control of OAFC, their risk if they lose money and most importantly their reward hopefully when they make a nice tidy profit! As for the supporters who didn't turn up yesterday, well not all of us have a bottomless pocket of money do we now. Some of us have to select our games carefully, not saying I share this opinion but I certainly understand it.

I'm not getting into the "can't afford it debate" because that's not what this debate is. I too understand people can't afford every game etc. but I also understand that some use this too as a very easy excuse. Not getting into that one!

The debate I am getting into is the "I'm not going coz it's Donny etc" debate. Two different debates....the 2nd one being about apathy towards going, when the person could go. And what do we owe TTA? Erm....everything! There wouldn't be a club if they hadn't risked the millions they have to keep us afloat while they get through the council bull:censored: so they can take us forward and build themselves an empire also. They could still have got the land and shut the club down and still be aiming to build hotels, flats etc etc on BP itself....staggers me that you have to ask "what do we owe TTA?"!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

I'm not getting into the "can't afford it debate" because that's not what this debate is. I too understand people can't afford every game etc. but I also understand that some use this too as a very easy excuse. Not getting into that one!

The debate I am getting into is the "I'm not going coz it's Donny etc" debate. Two different debates....the 2nd one being about apathy towards going, when the person could go.

That's a very black and white view.

Of course the 2 reasons can go hand in hand. A person who has the money to go to a set number of matches (pay on the day) per monthly salary may decide that they would rather go to an away match in a couple of weeks, rather than pay to see us play someone from our division in the cup. Whereas if we had drawn a more 'glamourous' tie, they may have decided to forego the away match and go to the cup tie instead.

Perfectly logical to me!

The debate I am getting into is the "I'm not going coz it's Donny etc" debate. Two different debates....the 2nd one being about apathy towards going, when the person could go. And what do we owe TTA? Erm....everything! There wouldn't be a club if they hadn't risked the millions they have to keep us afloat while they get through the council bull:censored: so they can take us forward and build themselves an empire also. They could still have got the land and shut the club down and still be aiming to build hotels, flats etc etc on BP itself....staggers me that you have to ask "what do we owe TTA?"!!!

You do not need to tell me that the tta saved the club, that is plainly obvious for all to see!!! FACT tt3 did not take over, and save, this club from extinction for the love of it! They did it to in the long run hopefully make money, and yes I am sure they are all nice guys and hope to leave this club in a good state when they leave, but this is secondary to making money. Perhaps they jumped in first with without looknig at oldham as a proper investment, perhaps they over-estimated the loyalty of most of the clubs supporters. Either way this is their investment and their investment to make work. I owe them nothing! I will continue to support the team by paying my 20 quid when it is possible for me to attend and don't get me wrong I would be gutted if latics ceased to exist. However, when/if the opportunity for tt3 to make money from this club ceases to exist then they will be gone in a flash. Where is the loyalty in that? I owe tta nothing!!!

Edited by laticsmad

That's a very black and white view.

Of course the 2 reasons can go hand in hand. A person who has the money to go to a set number of matches (pay on the day) per monthly salary may decide that they would rather go to an away match in a couple of weeks, rather than pay to see us play someone from our division in the cup. Whereas if we had drawn a more 'glamourous' tie, they may have decided to forego the away match and go to the cup tie instead.

Perfectly logical to me!

Yep totally agreee with you on that point. However, it sounds like this 1 fan in particular had the time and the money and still couldn't be bothered going. Not good enough! I agree with bb8 on that point.

However, when/if the opportunity for tt3 to make money from this club ceases to exist then they will be gone in a flash. Where is the loyalty in that? I owe tta nothing!!!

True...I agree on that...they probably will be off. But I genuinely feel that not only did they know it was a land deal but that they could also build the fan base. On that score, generally, Oldham has let them down....and thus, we can't blame them for trying. It's a shame you don't feel you or anyone else owes them anything.

True...I agree on that...they probably will be off. But I genuinely feel that not only did they know it was a land deal but that they could also build the fan base. On that score, generally, Oldham has let them down....and thus, we can't blame them for trying. It's a shame you don't feel you or anyone else owes them anything.

No Oldham as a place hasn't let them down, The Local Council has let them down and the product on the pitch has let them down. Success on the pitch = Growing Supporter Base. Failure on the pitch = Declining Supporter Base.

No Oldham as a place hasn't let them down, The Local Council has let them down and the product on the pitch has let them down. Success on the pitch = Growing Supporter Base. Failure on the pitch = Declining Supporter Base.

Product on the pitch? The 2 seasons where we have success, look like we could go up on both occassions, but in the end make the playoffs saw us barely breaking an average of 6,500.....that is piss poor!!! Oldham as a place has completely let TTA down!!!

Product on the pitch? The 2 seasons where we have success, look like we could go up on both occassions, but in the end make the playoffs saw us barely breaking an average of 6,500.....that is piss poor!!! Oldham as a place has completely let TTA down!!!

Agree.

A crowd of 8,000, including visiting fans, is required in league games to break even. That's not asking a lot when you consider the population of Oldham, but it has to be said that it's no longer a football or rugby town.

The viability of BP depends entirely on getting planning permision, and then getting income from all the new facilities to subsidise the football side of the Club. :pray:

Err sorry didn't actually. I'm clearly not a Super Fan just a mere supporter. Still, had a nice afternoon in the Chat Room though

Edited by ghostofcecere

There's a danger, in these days of silly money dictating what happens in football, of adopting an evangelistic atttude towards the more casual fan.

The reason why crowds have been disapponting in the seasons you mention is that the promotion challenges never looked quite convincing. Football is too expensive these days-the casual fan won't put his/her hand in pocket unless something special is happening on the pitch. If the side hadn't thrown in the towel last February, we would be seeing thousands more in the ground now. Simple as.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

There's a danger, in these days of silly money dictating what happens in football, of adopting an evangelistic atttude towards the more casual fan.

The reason why crowds have been disapponting in the seasons you mention is that the promotion challenges never looked quite convincing. Football is too expensive these days-the casual fan won't put his/her hand in pocket unless something special is happening on the pitch. If the side hadn't thrown in the towel last February, we would be seeing thousands more in the ground now. Simple as.

It worse that that to be honest. Its alot to ask anyone with a family commitments to fork out £20 for themselves let alone for the whole family to watch League One football. Its a rip off to pay that much out for football in higher divisions!!! And all this is componded by the fact that the average perso who lives in Oldham dosent have a lot of spare cash!

Im lucky, I have no kids to support etc so I can easily afford to go games. My brother has a kid and another one on the way and its a big ask for him to fork out £20 on 2 hours entertainment!

Football is totally overpriced and until this changes all football clubs outside of the premeirship will struggle to get bums on seats.

Agree.

A crowd of 8,000, including visiting fans, is required in league games to break even. That's not asking a lot when you consider the population of Oldham, but it has to be said that it's no longer a football or rugby town.

The viability of BP depends entirely on getting planning permision, and then getting income from all the new facilities to subsidise the football side of the Club. :pray:

It is asking a lot when the team are not producing a Quality Product. The crowds were slowing returning last season when we looked like we were mounting a serious promotion challenge. Then the lads bottled it and the crowds started falling again. It's not rocket science is it

Quality Product = More People Will Buy It.

Poor Product = Nobody wants to buy it.

We as fans are grateful for what the TTA did for the club, but that doesn't mean that we need it pushed in our faces every few weeks. They did what they did to make money as does any business man, but once the chances for making money disappear then so will the TTA.

It is asking a lot when the team are not producing a Quality Product. The crowds were slowing returning last season when we looked like we were mounting a serious promotion challenge. Then the lads bottled it and the crowds started falling again. It's not rocket science is it

Quality Product = More People Will Buy It.

Poor Product = Nobody wants to buy it.

We as fans are grateful for what the TTA did for the club, but that doesn't mean that we need it pushed in our faces every few weeks. They did what they did to make money as does any business man, but once the chances for making money disappear then so will the TTA.

But they'll be off also because the 8000 don't turn up! If they did, it'd be viable for them to stay regardless of the land deal. So yes, it does need pushing in faces until 8000 turn up. OR WE HAVE NO CLUB IF THEY DO GO!!!

It's funny how they turn up for £2 games and Celebration Sundays....but not only them, but even some ST holders!!! were nowhere to be seen on Saturday. It does need saying....over and over again....especially if some ST holders and regular attendees are being apathetic at playing Donny in R1 of the FA Cup!!! I honestly never thought we'd see the same apathy which is riddled throughout the area, finally hit the ST holders too....that is extremely worrying and needs addressing. Which myself and many others are doing....on here or wherever....

Edited by boundaryblue80

But they'll be off also because the 8000 don't turn up! If they did, it'd be viable for them to stay regardless of the land deal. So yes, it does need pushing in faces until 8000 turn up. OR WE HAVE NO CLUB IF THEY DO GO!!!

It's funny how they turn up for £2 games and Celebration Sundays....but not only them, but even some ST holders!!! were nowhere to be seen on Saturday. It does need saying....over and over again....especially if some ST holders and regular attendees are being apathetic at playing Donny in R1 of the FA Cup!!! I honestly never thought we'd see the same apathy which is riddled throughout the area, finally hit the ST holders too....that is extremely worrying and needs addressing. Which myself and many others are doing....on here or wherever....

I understand where your coming from but I still think that it is two main reason for people staying away:-

1) Cant or wont fork out £20 for 3rd Division Football.

2) Stay away through frustration of the Product on the pitch.

I think it will be a long time before we see 8000 + at a "normal" league game.

This isn't a new phenomenon as I'm sure your aware, there has always been a certain amount of apathy toward Latics in the area. This I suppose is largely due to the fact that many in the area choose to support City and United either by going to the games or via television.

Sadly since the 80's we have rarely had crowds at the 8,000 level apart from the pinch me years and the season after relegation from the top flight. So I think it's unlikely to happen now, unless we either get promoted or I'm sure a new stadium will also revive interest. I can remember crowds of under 4000 for league games in the early to mid 80's, but for most of that time we hovered around the 5000 - 5500 mark as we do now. On that basis I don't think we need that level of crowd to sustain the club, but it maybe we would need to lower our expectations.

One final point, if you look around the attendances for the 1st round of the cup the figure at BP wasn't that bad. So I'm guessing that other clubs are having the same problem as us and it's not just that we have a bunch of fair weather fans. If you look at it another way and continuing on from what amoweb said it's case of supply and demand. If lower league football clubs are suffering poor attendances at cup matches like this, it's obviously because there isn't a demand for the product at that price. Of course the ultimate solution from the club's point of view is to do what Manure have done and force ST holders into purchasing cup tickets!!!!!!!