just got back ..

... waited all year to say that!!

Anyhow they had one real chance and if the Leyton player practices that shot every day he wouldn't score.

Overall should had been a point at least but we are just not clinical enough up front. Performance wise, we continued the form showed at Forest. Stam / Trotters solid against a couple of big centre forwards, Stam booking was a joke as he made a very good tackle .. in fact the ref was a joke.

Until the past 20 mins leyton had us wrapped up, teams know have to play agianst us ... simple sitting back and letting us run out of steam as they know that we can produce the goals at present. That change around the time Hughes came on. no real disappointing performances (well one player in starting to wish he'd left with ricketts .... but I'm giving him a little longr)

All in all a very postive performance ... now back to the pub!!!!

Go on WHO? + Very positive performances with no goals or points are no good.

It's more encouraging than us playing badly though and getting nothing. Once again we have lost a game 1-0 this season which could easily have gone our way.

We need to learn to put teams away and finish the chances that fall our way. Hopefully we can take this into the Tranmere game.

Maybe because we cant score a goal - something Ricketts could not help us with in the games he played.

Lets not raise Ricketts to something he wasnt, a striker is meant to score goals he didnt and most of the time never even tried to get where he had the opportunity so stop bleating on about poor hard done to Ricketts he never earned his money in a blue shirt of Oldham.

He had the opportunity to make anew start but he blew it and has gone down the same path he did with all the other clubs he went to before us since his moment of fame with Bolton and England

Maybe because we cant score a goal - something Ricketts could not help us with in the games he played.

Lets not raise Ricketts to something he wasnt, a striker is meant to score goals he didnt and most of the time never even tried to get where he had the opportunity so stop bleating on about poor hard done to Ricketts he never earned his money in a blue shirt of Oldham.

He had the opportunity to make anew start but he blew it and has gone down the same path he did with all the other clubs he went to before us since his moment of fame with Bolton and England

No, not really. Nobody is raising Ricketts to anything magical. We're simply trying to raise him from the gutter impression the booboys have created of him. He wasn't magnificent for us. He did well in patches. He, like Davies, like Hughes will be, like Wolfy and Smalley will scrap from....have been starved of service. I hope Ricketts does fantastic for Walsall (bar Dec 29th)....the lad hasn't been given a chance whatsoever at ours.

Regards to the rest of today...as Greganator says...."Very positive performances with no goals or points are no good."

Onwards....and....erm, onwards....

No, not really. Nobody is raising Ricketts to anything magical. We're simply trying to raise him from the gutter impression the booboys have created of him. He wasn't magnificent for us. He did well in patches. He, like Davies, like Hughes will be, like Wolfy and Smalley will scrap from....have been starved of service. I hope Ricketts does fantastic for Walsall (bar Dec 29th)....the lad hasn't been given a chance whatsoever at ours.

Regards to the rest of today...as Greganator says...."Very positive performances with no goals or points are no good."

Onwards....and....erm, onwards....

Didn't really wish Butcher the same when he was 'driven out' by the booboys did you?

He wasn't magnificent for us. He did well in patches. He, like Davies, like Hughes will be, like Wolfy and Smalley will scrap from....have been starved of service.

Agreed 100% Ross.. I missed my first game today since last April, there are a few reasons for this but if I had wanted it bad enough I could of gone, I lacked committment and my end product was poor !!! Sound Familiar ?

This is why we will continue to struggle to score - MR is not to blame for his poor form alone ... He as not been given the service needed in the box to take chances and score.

I'm very suprised in some peoples attitudes to some players who I thought knew more about football !!!

Our record since last Feb is very very very poor, the attitude of some players has changes along with their end product.

Its not a case of Sheridan Out - Its a case of Shez, buy some nasal spray, use it, wake up and smell the coffee ! :mad:

Didn't really wish Butcher the same when he was 'driven out' by the booboys did you?

Lol....awwww....see now when you copy Butters there, he wasn't comparing Butcher and Ricketts.....funny that you have....shows you really know :censored: all about football!

And as for booboys....Barnsley was disgusting. Both his performance, but worse.....our fans behaving like you do in every post you write! After his comments in Lincoln, that was it....door closed. End of....Had he kept his mouth shut he could've come back and been given the chance. Just like I'm not sure on McD but I'll still give him a chance to prove, he's earned that.

Also, Cocko....at least I waited to see Lincoln Boy in a Latics shirt before forming an opinion...which really, makes yours null and void about Ricketts as you didn't bother to do that!

Clearly a completely different scenario.....once Ricketts slags off the club and the town to such proportion like Lincoln Boy did, I'll come and sit on your side of the fence. But if you start comparing abilities between Lincoln Boy and Ricketts....well, I didn't think you could make yourself look any more stupid, quite frankly!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Wasnt given a chance? Nonsense Sheridan played him when he was playing badly and his goal return was what 2 goals- one was a bloody penalty as well? There was his chance, he failed miserably in scoring goals, he hardly ever looked interested.

Same service Davies has scored 6; okay he has missed a fair few but no more than Ricketts and at least he has been in positions to miss them unlike Ricketts.

I personally had no problem with Ricketts but after seeing so many lacklustre performances from him then he needed to be benched , if he cant accept that and threw his expensive toys out of the pram then good riddance; the manager does what he must for the team.

The team is in a hole and needs to battle it's way out of it collectively, it needs grafters not players full of their own self-importance.

The figures dont lie Ricketts failed as striker for the club; Warne wasnt the most prolific but at least he tried for the team - Ricketts had/has no redeeming features as a player for this club.

Same service Davies has scored 6; okay he has missed a fair few but no more than Ricketts and at least he has been in positions to miss them unlike Ricketts.

Think you will find that most of the goals that Davies as scored have come from good work and attacking play by the lad himself, normally cutting inside of the defender from the left flank.. Davies is a winger being asked to play and re-train as a forward as thats what Shez thinks will bring him his big move up the leagues !!!

MR is not the same type of player, he should be our predator in the box awaiting balls being crossed in from either flank - He is a target man to win headers around the 18 yrd box, to lay off ball thats played to him for the other forward or attacking midfielders to run on too. There as been no service to him for him to do what he's done before, for other clubs in higher divisions.. when he as knocked balls down or won headers, non of the other players have KNOWN were to pick them up... thats not there fault afterall if they had such a footballing brain they would be playing already at a higher level and not a a third divison club !

Feed the Goat and he will score, anyone remember that chant ??? Same should be told to the players in training: Feed (cross) the ball to your forwards and they should ( in a perfect world) score.

The Ricketts fans can't make there mind up Ricardo, some will tell he's not been brought to the club to score goals while BumBoy80 will bring up some rubbish from the BBC text service about how he was an amazing attacking force for Wasall today.

"Some rubbish" eh Cocko....coz it's show your opinion to be a bag of :censored: ? Diddums!

if he cant accept that and threw his expensive toys out of the pram then good riddance; the manager does what he must for the team.

If....if....if....any more if's....he left based on IF he threw he's toys out of his pram???

Nice one!

PS Have a guess how many goals Warne had scored up to November 3rd last season??? :grin: Next....

Edited by boundaryblue80

Agreed 100% Ross.. I missed my first game today since last April, there are a few reasons for this but if I had wanted it bad enough I could of gone, I lacked committment and my end product was poor !!! Sound Familiar ?

This is why we will continue to struggle to score - MR is not to blame for his poor form alone ... He as not been given the service needed in the box to take chances and score.

I'm very suprised in some peoples attitudes to some players who I thought knew more about football !!!

Our record since last Feb is very very very poor, the attitude of some players has changes along with their end product.

Its not a case of Sheridan Out - Its a case of Shez, buy some nasal spray, use it, wake up and smell the coffee ! :mad:

nice one mate - well put

anyway... back to football and todays game...

just got back from the game myself... and as mark says, think we are all feeling a little bemused, there was not a player on the pitch that played badly today, everyone did there jobs, played some great passing football in midfield, some stalwart defending meaning they had 1 shaot all game, pride, belief and passion wera all evident..... but yet again we have absolutely no cutting edge, and it felt like although we were utterly dominant, we could have played for 180 minutes and not really look like scoring...

For me Bertrand was brilliant today, with Stam and Trotters close behind him - however these guys do not win us games... and we need some cutting edge.. smalley looked bright and strong, however he made passing mistakes, and missed a sitter - Davies was lively, but utterly innefective..... and as mark says, it wasnt until Hughesy came on that we actually threatened seriously...

Now... theres the rub - Hughesy, even in 20 minutes this guy looks brighter and more threatening that we have done in the past 5 games combined... he is not the answer on his own - but get this guy fit and he will score goals...

... however, we still need to get some service to him.... no-one in midfield did badly today, however there just wasnt that spark... with ricketts gone, and trotman and stam looking strong, then surely we do not need one of Hazell or Thommo (think we all know who we would rather keep) - surely without ricketts and a CB we can look to bring someone in in the midfield, and crate that cutting edge...

So.... as Mark says - a competent performance, some great passing, som massive plusses (the younger players and hughes) - but still the same old result... our luck will change, but we need a kickstart....

"Some rubbish" eh Cocko....coz it's show your opinion to be a bag of :censored: ? Diddums!

Without watching the game and and his chances you have no basis to say how well he did;

2:56 Header by Michael Ricketts(Walsall) from centre of penalty area (6 yards), comfortable save (caught) by Shane Higgs(Cheltenham). Didn't test the keeper from 6 yards out?

31:56 Outswinging corner from right by-line taken right-footed by Michael Dobson(Walsall) to centre, shot by Michael Ricketts(Walsall) right-footed from left channel (18 yards), save (tipped round post) by Shane Higgs(Cheltenham).

35:02 Header by Michael Ricketts(Walsall) from centre of penalty area (6 yards), hit bar.

Misses goal from 6 yards out?

48:44 Shot by Michael Ricketts(Walsall) left-footed from left channel (20 yards), save (tipped over) by Shane Higgs(Cheltenham).

66:36 Shot by Michael Ricketts(Walsall) right-footed from left side of penalty area (18 yards), blocked by Michael Townsend(Cheltenham).

No information where he blocked the shot, saved a certain goal or did Ricketts just boot it at him.

Keep on trying BumBoy80

nice one mate - well put

Seconded....hadn't seen your earlier post Wardle....but spot on with them comments. Hence my change in signature....it's the first thing I'd change....instead of picking the easiest scapegoat to appease some and deflect attention off myself. I sincerely hope Shez hasn't done that...but it's as easy saying that as it is for people like Cocko to make his own presumptions, as though they've sat and had a 1 to 1 with them. I'm just waiting for someone to try and excel themself even further and suggest that somehow, in some twisted logic, Ricketts is to blame for todays loss!

just got back from the game myself... and as mark says, think we are all feeling a little bemused, there was not a player on the pitch that played badly today, everyone did there jobs, played some great passing football in midfield, some stalwart defending meaning they had 1 shaot all game, pride, belief and passion wera all evident..... but yet again we have absolutely no cutting edge, and it felt like although we were utterly dominant, we could have played for 180 minutes and not really look like scoring...

For me Bertrand was brilliant today, with Stam and Trotters close behind him - however these guys do not win us games... and we need some cutting edge.. smalley looked bright and strong, however he made passing mistakes, and missed a sitter - Davies was lively, but utterly innefective..... and as mark says, it wasnt until Hughesy came on that we actually threatened seriously...

Now... theres the rub - Hughesy, even in 20 minutes this guy looks brighter and more threatening that we have done in the past 5 games combined... he is not the answer on his own - but get this guy fit and he will score goals...

... however, we still need to get some service to him.... no-one in midfield did badly today, however there just wasnt that spark... with ricketts gone, and trotman and stam looking strong, then surely we do not need one of Hazell or Thommo (think we all know who we would rather keep) - surely without ricketts and a CB we can look to bring someone in in the midfield, and crate that cutting edge...

So.... as Mark says - a competent performance, some great passing, som massive plusses (the younger players and hughes) - but still the same old result... our luck will change, but we need a kickstart....

i did not go to the game today - gritted teeth watching mossley fight back from two down to draw 2-2 but you have written that match report very diplomatically - apparently we still have not got a midfield that can create and still not got forwards that can put the ball in the net - so nothing has changed - no one played badly just no spark? no change there. we never needed thommo(he is dreadful anyway) no change there.

massive plusses maybe but we still lost - no change there

Without watching the game and and his chances you have no basis to say how well he did;

2:56 Header by Michael Ricketts(Walsall) from centre of penalty area (6 yards), comfortable save (caught) by Shane Higgs(Cheltenham). Didn't test the keeper from 6 yards out?

31:56 Outswinging corner from right by-line taken right-footed by Michael Dobson(Walsall) to centre, shot by Michael Ricketts(Walsall) right-footed from left channel (18 yards), save (tipped round post) by Shane Higgs(Cheltenham).

35:02 Header by Michael Ricketts(Walsall) from centre of penalty area (6 yards), hit bar.

Misses goal from 6 yards out?

48:44 Shot by Michael Ricketts(Walsall) left-footed from left channel (20 yards), save (tipped over) by Shane Higgs(Cheltenham).

66:36 Shot by Michael Ricketts(Walsall) right-footed from left side of penalty area (18 yards), blocked by Michael Townsend(Cheltenham).

No information where he blocked the shot, saved a certain goal or did Ricketts just boot it at him.

Keep on trying BumBoy80

More than we've done in the last 3 games....so who's the new target Cocko? I think you should start on that Paul Black in the youth team next....he's not had a chance in the first team yet! Get in early and you can maybe end his career for him early....save you doing it later on when he's on the fringe of the first team!

More than we've done in the last 3 games....so who's the new target Cocko? I think you should start on that Paul Black in the youth team next....he's not had a chance in the first team yet! Get in early and you can maybe end his career for him early....save you doing it later on when he's on the fringe of the first team!

I don't know, maybe I'll join your crusade against Liddell.

Good report....just that last sentence concerns me....hoping on our luck to change isn't what we need. We have to make it change. We've said over the years how we've been unlucky on injuries...maybe goals will start to come and then we get unlucky with injuries etc. We have to actively seek to change our fortunes...as you say, I hope we can bring someone in if needed...but if we do and we keep the non-effective wings as they are, I can only see A.N.Other struggling too and so on and so on....

I don't know, maybe I'll join your crusade against Liddell.

Be my guest....he's almost 2 and a half years into a 3yr contract....see the difference eh Cocko? Thought not....come on, that Paul Black....you know you want to....

Edited by boundaryblue80

Good report....just that last sentence concerns me....hoping on our luck to change isn't what we need. We have to make it change. We've said over the years how we've been unlucky on injuries...maybe goals will start to come and then we get unlucky with injuries etc. We have to actively seek to change our fortunes...as you say, I hope we can bring someone in if needed...but if we do and we keep the non-effective wings as they are, I can only see A.N.Other struggling too and so on and so on....

Exactly - I do not hink we have a problem with our strikers - Huges, smalley, wolfy and Davies (just) are all cappable of putting the ball in the net - the comment above says I have written the post diplomatically, I have - without that cutting edge we could have the worlds greatest striker there and we would make him look ordinary.....

Tyalor looked brighter today, liddlel was typically functional, KK showed occasional sparks, and Gmac lively, but powerpuff - but still better than allott and Kalala.. however, the most dangerous ball into the box came from bertrand... we ned more.... I was pleased with today... but as you say we still lost and everyone left with the feeling something is missing....

with ricketts gone and one of the centre back to go (and judging by the rumour mill bertie big balloons Kalala close to the exit door too), that money has to be spent on a midfielder, and hopefully a winger.... I do not want to see another striker here... there is no point, Porter showed any carthorse can score if it is put on a plate.... however at the moment it is not even getting near the plate... lets stop making our strikers look ordinary and give them a bloomin chance...

As I say... mildly deflated but positive after today - and to continue your comment - we cant change our luck - only shez can, and from the sounds of things his sword is being wielded, and cuts and additions are being made in the right places....