Shez to ask TTA for money for a striker on loan.

From where I was sat yesterday, there isn't a need for another striker; just a bit of minor tinkering. I have tried very hard to appreciate Davies, but still see him as a selfish player who is a glory seeker. Yep, he hit a humdinger at Huddersfield but, in general, he spends far too much time out on the wings trying to beat the entire defence on his own before releasing the ball. He's drawn to the touchline like a magnet instead of being in the middle and that left Smalley too isolated.

Hughes showed what a striker is all about although he was only on the pitch for 20 minutes and is still not 100% match fit. He fought for the ball, frightened their centre backs and only needs a bit more time to settle into regular 1st team football. The one I would unload (along with Davies) is Kalala. He is almost entirely defensive and produces very little.

Right, now where's that application form for the home for the bewildered? :ktf:

I posted it to you a few weeks back - now dont pretend you didnt receive it!!!

Your comments on Davies are spot on, and I have a feeling that for both footballing and behind the scenes reasons we will not see kalala in a blue shirt again.... sure Russell Slade would like his big time player back on loan in an instant... wonder what the hilton in Yeovil is like??? He prob can change his reservation pretty quickly!!! :wink:

With Ricketts, kalala, marlon and Hazell (unfortunately) gone That should free up enough cash to bring in 2 players including a striker, so I dont think the trotman super-striker routine is needed just yet... but he certainly has a presence.... Stam and Gregan for me is the dream ticket at the back.... however t is great to know we have such a pler in reserve - that tackle in the first half when thier player was clean through was simply superb.... I thought I was watching earl barrett for a second until i saw what a big unit the big T (Mr T??) is...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted it to you a few weeks back - now dont pretend you didnt receive it!!! The present Mrs Bristolatic probably opened it (I'm not allowed sharp instruments at my age)

With Ricketts (Don't reckon we'll see him again), kalala (don't need to see him again), marlon (would like to keep him, as lond as we can afford it with Pogs out till Xmas) and Hazell (unfortunately) gone (he's gone? no-one told me!!) that tackle in the first half when thier player was clean through was simply superb.... I thought I was watching earl barrett for a second until i saw what a big unit the big T (Mr T??) is...

That tackle summed Trotman up for me - the lad is so advanced for his years and has a future way beyond League 1.

That tackle summed Trotman up for me - the lad is so advanced for his years and has a future way beyond League 1.

Dont panic, hazell not gone yet! I just think as discussed yesterday there is no way we can justiy keeping him IF everyone comes back to fitness.... another month until thompson comes back, then think that loan money is needed more elsewhere.... its a shame... but you never know, we might see a new thompson if he is free of injury.... I hope....

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! :angry:

I'm sorry, but what is this... is Sheridan becoming Neil Warnock??? i.e - there is something not quite right at the club - I know! Lets add another striker! That will work!!!

This for me is a massive mistake - the problem is not our strikers, but the cutting edge in the team - what is the point in having a master finisher when we cant even get the ball to a position where they can score??

What?? You've clearly said you've gone yesterday, yet we had the ball in the danger area numerous times but were missing someone with a bit of nous to be there, on the end of it. The same script at Forest.

Defence we seem to have sorted. Midfield are starting to show signs of gelling, some great football. We're clearly missing a striker to be in the penalty area who's got something up there *taps head* and knows where to put himself. Hughes could be that man but it will take at least 10 more games for him to reach his peak. The young lads, Smalley and Wolfy are far too inexperienced to have a major impact just yet and are perfect substitutes.

Like Exile, I've mentioned Jevons before. Fits the bill perfectly. Perhaps try for Scott Dobie at Forest or even Geoff Horsfield who's been rotting away in their reserves having been on loan at Leicester and Leeds in the past.

I don't see Smalley coming anywhere close to doing and giving to the team what Davies does and I don't believe Shez thinks that either, if you look at Davies record before coming here you'll see he has done very well to get the goals he has which have been a combination of speed, skill and being in the right place at the right time.

Davies isn't the problem with this team, we won't magically shoot up the league playing wonderful football if Hughes (who has yet to prove he can be a goal threat) partners Smalley (who has looke like Bambi infront of goal at times ).

All Davies needs is a decent target man who he can read

Keep Davies at all costs

Surely Chelski owe us another one of there players !!!!!!!

does it really matter if its in 34 35 or 36/7 appearances...hes a stiker who knows how to score.

that said a striker isnt enough,we need to ship one or both of allott or kalalal out,they arent capable of fighting us out of this mess were in.

we need some steel in there,someone who is willing to roll up there sleeves and get stuck in.

who i dont know....but we need new faces who can fight.

Like I keep saying we have a ready made hard man....Get GREGAN into midfield, he'll hold on to the ball and pass it and he'll definitely get stuck in!!!

I don't see Smalley coming anywhere close to doing and giving to the team what Davies does and I don't believe Shez thinks that either, if you look at Davies record before coming here you'll see he has done very well to get the goals he has which have been a combination of speed, skill and being in the right place at the right time.

Davies isn't the problem with this team, we won't magically shoot up the league playing wonderful football if Hughes (who has yet to prove he can be a goal threat) partners Smalley (who has looke like Bambi infront of goal at times ).

Figures taken from Soccerbase suggest that in league matches Mr Davies has made 42 starts, 42 as a sub and scored 12 goals. 84 appearances and only 12 goals, 4 for us and 8 for Oxford. He's not exactly prolific is he Coco?

Dumb you say...well how come he played 3/4 of his career in midfield.

A dumb reaction from you I'd say!!!

So who do you suggest steps into the huge void left behind in defence when he steps into midfield ?? like i said....dumb

Edited by oafc0000

I wouldn't call Stam and Trotman a bad pairing so far, ...how about you?

I think we've agreed on this before OAFC1955....definitely an option once fit....what with Stam, Trotman and Hazell (when fit and given the contract he deserves) playing for 2 CB positions. Don't worry though....OAFC0000 will no doubt call it dumb again without any real substance to counter with.

he spends far too much time out on the wings trying to beat the entire defence on his own before releasing the ball. He's drawn to the touchline like a magnet instead of being in the middle and that left Smalley too isolated.

No offence directly at you BL, but that line irritates the * out of me when people use it against Davies....I don't think you are as much as some have...but nobody wants to look at why he's drawn out there. For me, it's easy to see....our wings are a joke! Our wings are the fundamental reason we're struggling. The ball is either pathetically floated in to a defenders head or the ball is lost out on the wings and Davies shoots off there to help out, recover the ball and try and do it himself. If we had 2 working flanks, I'm certain Davies would be where we need him most to hurt teams.

I'll just let my current signature say the rest....

No offence directly at you BL, but that line irritates the * out of me when people use it against Davies....I don't think you are as much as some have...but nobody wants to look at why he's drawn out there. For me, it's easy to see....our wings are a joke! Our wings are the fundamental reason we're struggling. The ball is either pathetically floated in to a defenders head or the ball is lost out on the wings and Davies shoots off there to help out, recover the ball and try and do it himself. If we had 2 working flanks, I'm certain Davies would be where we need him most to hurt teams.

I'll just let my current signature say the rest....

I respect your opinions BB80, but, unless my eyes deceived me yesterday, I saw too many occasions where Davies was on the wing WITH Liddell or Taylor so that when he did get the ball across, not enough bodies in the box. Taylor, for me, absolutely roasted their full back with Bertrand giving good support with Liddell and Eardley (although not as effectively, I agree) doing something similar on the other side.

Is this a throw back to Taylor having a long run of poor games and now Davies can't break the habit? Open to discussion obviously but, if they can produce wing play like that every week and Davies can stay in the middle more (although I still think Hughes / Smalley is a dangerous combo), I go with you as I honestly believe he will be a better asset.

I respect your opinions BB80, but, unless my eyes deceived me yesterday, I saw too many occasions where Davies was on the wing WITH Liddell or Taylor so that when he did get the ball across, not enough bodies in the box. Taylor, for me, absolutely roasted their full back with Bertrand giving good support with Liddell and Eardley (although not as effectively, I agree) doing something similar on the other side.

Is this a throw back to Taylor having a long run of poor games and now Davies can't break the habit? Open to discussion obviously but, if they can produce wing play like that every week and Davies can stay in the middle more (although I still think Hughes / Smalley is a dangerous combo), I go with you as I honestly believe he will be a better asset.

Now For me I don't necessarily mind Daives drifting wide the reason being is that a striker who drifts like that is very difficult for a defence to pick up. If you have 2 out and out strikers it pretty easy for 2 centre halfs to just man to man mark them. But if you have one guy who drifts out to the wings and goes in the hole then its very difficult for a defence to pick him up. This works well if you have another striker who is first in the box and gets on the end of crosses which Jevons would you would think be able to do and is avery good call.

My problem with Davies is that he tries to be abit too hollywood by trying to take on everyone or an over ambitious shot or pass which is great and it sometimes works for him but he sometimes needs to do the simple thing too. I think he can be as good as he wants to be he just need to learn the game abit more and what bhe can and can't do.

I saw too many occasions where Davies was on the wing WITH Liddell or Taylor so that when he did get the ball across, not enough bodies in the box.

But this is what I'm saying...as our FBs haven't pushed on since Feb 07 and as Taylor hasn't been able to beat his man and Lids has formed his trademark pass into the middle, Davies goes over to either retrieve a lost ball or simply sees the man in trouble with the ball and goes over to assist in numbers...as either, they've not done the job themselves by beating their man or the full back hasn't pushed up to help out. If Bertrand does it more often and Eardley on the other side, overlapping etc. Davies will stay in the middle more. Unless of course, he's just picked it up as a bad habit and will carry it on, if the wings and FB's do their bits.....until they do though, I totally can see why Davies ends up out there. And he must be extremely frustrated by it IMO.

I'm hopeful Shez will see this soon enough...he saw problems at the end of last season and moved personel about....he just seems more reluctant to, this time. Soon enough, he will though....or else, we won't move upwards and only then, we should begin to question his position.

I think we've agreed on this before OAFC1955....definitely an option once fit....what with Stam, Trotman and Hazell (when fit and given the contract he deserves) playing for 2 CB positions. Don't worry though....OAFC0000 will no doubt call it dumb again without any real substance to counter with.

If you really think Stam, Trotman or Hazell can step in for Gregan long term then your having a laugh mate....

This isnt football manager 2008 mate....keep dreaming...

Don't need to keep dreaming....as has been pointed out but you still want to say you're right when his career clearly proves you wrong....Gregans been there, done it, in midfield. And at a higher level.....

Next....

Don't need to keep dreaming....as has been pointed out but you still want to say you're right when his career clearly proves you wrong....Gregans been there, done it, in midfield. And at a higher level.....

Next....

Your TOTALY missing the point! Gregan could probably do a job for us in midfield.....Im doubting ANY of the backup defenders are good enough to replace the hole left behind when he moves into midfield! Stam is massivly overrated by latics fans. He is ok, but he isnt a Gregan.