How long have we got him for?

Till January like Kilkenny?

Yeah, same as.

Hope we manage to hold onto him. He's steadily been getting better and better. As with all big clubs I can't see the departure of Jose affecting if Ryan stays with us or not. It'll all be down to the youth/reserve staff at Chelsea and how they see his progression with us etc. I doubt Grant has even heard of him!

It's funny...coz I had a bit or a rant on here about Bertrand after the Donny game and if you forget the Northampton game (which I think we'd all like to) he's been fairly faultless since then. Didn't see him at Orient, but by all accounts he had a very good game and at Forest and Tranmere too...he's done very well. Still would prefer him at LW so that Taylor can move to the right....but as it is, he's improving now as a LB....something I wasn't convinced that he was. Just hope he continues in that form....HOWEVER.....

Been thinking over the last day or two and there's a but to all this which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet....Bertrand's antics with England has left us in a right pants situation now....notice how he hasn't been called up! He was 1 of the 3 who were being called up so we could call off games. Now, as it stands, coz he couldn't behave himself for England....we're left playing Port Vale missing Eardley (another captain being taken out of the side) and KK. Which I'm a bit annoyed about....People are quick to jump on other players when they've been out and about (Taylor, KK and Ricketts have got allsorts of stick this season) but Berty needs to behave himself too and keep his head down and carry on doing well for us. I hope what happened with England is the kick up the backside he probably needed!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80

if anyone should go it`s gotta be both thommo and crossley.........rubs is total quality and is worth the two of them put together.

c`mon TTA`S....stick yer necks out a bit further.......

i also reckon hughes will deffo come good a lot sooner than people think.......all the signs are there now.......within two weeks he`ll be our biggest news.....

I do find amusing still, how we judge a player after so few games.....Bertrand, some of us 'experts' decided he was a left winger after half a dozen games :wacko: forgetting the lads age, inexperience etc and now the experts are deciding 'hey he me able to play there anyway!!' Totally dismissing i guess, expert professional coaches who play him there Shez and whoever he played for in Chelskis youth set up!)

And although Thompson hasn't had a good start - ok then he's looked pretty dodgy at times, (but earlier when he played didn't all the back 4??) but lets get rid.....we've seen Beresford who who looks very competent and guess what...Crossley you're next - go on out you go!

Football fans - we're so loyal!! :D

And all after 13 games or so.....fantastic! ^_^

Edited by futchers briefs

I do find amusing still, how we judge a player after so few games.....Bertrand, some of us 'experts' decided he was a left winger after half a dozen games :wacko: forgetting the lads age, inexperience etc and now the experts are deciding 'hey he me able to play there anyway!!' Totally dismissing i guess, expert professional coaches who play him there Shez and whoever he played for in Chelskis youth set up!)

Lol...surprised you didn't just put my comments in quotations there FB! :wink:.....Anyway....nope, we were told he is actually a LW that is being CONVERTED to LB....so in essence, naturally, he is a LW, not a LB. And it seemed from the first few games he'd be the answer IF we moved Taylor over to the RW as he was making lots of mistakes at LB. However, that's not happened with regards to Taylor being moved and fortunately, Bertrand has picked up his game (he's come from the Prem so should be better than we expect to see at our level)....could maybe put that down to the centre-back pairings working lately as it's allowed Bertrand to settle in more at LB and get forward to overlap with Taylor. As a LB he's got a long way to go and yes, he's young and is coming on....however personally, I still would rather have Lomax there. One of ours, learning the trade there with us rather than paying for a young Chelski lad to play there instead.

Regards Crossley, for me the jurys still out and I'd keep him and get Marlon on a season long loan if the money is there. And Thompson, he's as bad, if not worse than Mark Arber...and it was right to ship Arber off ASAP. The lad should never have been brought here IMO and having seen him both in pre-season and in the main bread and butter....so far, he's shown he simply isn't good enough. There isn't a positive to pick out......I'd like to see him come back and do it if we needed him to, but we've got the personell infront of him now.....really could be a case of Neil Wood on this one. Not heard you defend Wood's departure or career here though? Indeed....ironically, I know what you thought of a few of Ron's signings after 13... or possibly less than 13 games! :grin:

However, we accept the choices Shez makes....onwards and upwards!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Splitting hairs but I think Bertrand was announced to us as an attacking FB who had previously played at LW. Fact is that that is how a lot of fullbacks at the higher levels find their role though isn't it? I think Le Saux, Cashley and Wayne Bridge were all wingers once, so maybe it's only true of left backs. I have to tend towards Mr Briefs' point that we sometimes judge some players too early. There is also a phenomenon of defenders coming to us with a good reputation, being gash, and then leaving to become decent again. Arber and Terrible spring to mind. Amanda Holden also played very well for Peterborough after leaving us. I don't know why this is, but I would hope that Thommo at least gets a chance to play fully fit and have a second chance before he is thrown onto the scrapheap. One thing is for sure, the only way we would get him off the wage bill at the moment is by paying all his wages up, people are very optimistic if they think we can move high earning players on long contracts on and save a lot of money to go and spend on big names.

Splitting hairs but I think Bertrand was announced to us as an attacking FB who had previously played at LW. Fact is that that is how a lot of fullbacks at the higher levels find their role though isn't it? I think Le Saux, Cashley and Wayne Bridge were all wingers once, so maybe it's only true of left backs. I have to tend towards Mr Briefs' point that we sometimes judge some players too early. There is also a phenomenon of defenders coming to us with a good reputation, being gash, and then leaving to become decent again. Arber and Terrible spring to mind. Amanda Holden also played very well for Peterborough after leaving us. I don't know why this is, but I would hope that Thommo at least gets a chance to play fully fit and have a second chance before he is thrown onto the scrapheap. One thing is for sure, the only way we would get him off the wage bill at the moment is by paying all his wages up, people are very optimistic if they think we can move high earning players on long contracts on and save a lot of money to go and spend on big names.

Just to add to that...I don't think anyone's said to get rid of Bertrand due to ability. I know that my point was that I'd like Taylor on the RW, thus move Bertrand up to LW as he'd be far better as one, but I'd guess it's highly likely we have to stick with what we've got. So not even sure why FB feels we're slating Bertrand.....the criticism at present is that he may have inadvertedly left us short vs Vale through his antics, which seemingly have cost him his England U19 place and us the possibility to call off Vale.

Not sure about your comparisons to past defenders to leave are strictly true either LL. Yes, Arber and Holden have seemingly done ok at Posh but a) haven't fired them up a league and b.) are playing at a level below...so they should do ok. Forbes however...yes, you do have a point there...but for me, Forbes got a rough deal IMO. He got played out of position too much (he clearly was a CB rather than a RB) but Moore was never going to play Forbes there above Guy and Will. A shame, but it's no surprise to me that he's doing well at CB elsewhere.

As it is, nope, can't see Thompson being let go at present. But neither was Wood who was surplus....it might take 12mths before it's "cheap" enough to look at paying him off. But...in that time...it'd be nice if he got his head down, re-worked his game (as it needs it) and comes back a different player! We can hope!

Was i so vocal regarding my thoughts on RM, BB? B) Ok then i was......But i agree with you on Forbes, always looked ok to me at centre half and no surprise he's doing ok. As for Wood, I don't really have an opinion on him either way, as we never saw enough him!! hence letting him go. Plus i'm sure it wouldn't have cost a lot to pay him off, as his wages weren't that big.

Thompson hasn't looked good, as i've agreed on, but i do think, we'd be daft to think of letting him go, considering size of squad already. I don't think Thompson is a bad player, i just think he has had a few bad performances so far and therefore every mistake he will be criticized for(as will crossley at the mo) - what would some fans do without a boo-boy!! ^_^