Possible Resubmission of Outline Planning Permission.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

As a somewhat disillusioned Latics fan at the outcome of the planning meeting held last night. I'd just like to know your feelings on the committee's decision to ignore the professionals the council as on hand to advise on matters to which they are qualified.

I find absolutely unbelievable when Les Harrison not just once but twice upon being asked by a member of the committee to clearly state if the traffic survey is correct, does so. That then the chair Councillor Bashford makes it clear to the other members present he doesn't believe it and sway a no vote.

What are your feelings please?

Craig Lavis.

That's mine to David Jones, I'll post any reply I recieve. If any!

Superb Diego.

Cheers - not looking for compliments but it's nice to know someone is encouraging me.

I've sent to the MEN a copy of the emails sent to the Leader and the dissenting Councillors.

Has anyone got the email addresses of the Chron and Advertiser? The one published on the Chron's website doesn't work - yet another rare occasion when the Chron is wrong! :angry:

Cheers - not looking for compliments but it's nice to know someone is encouraging me.

I've sent to the MEN a copy of the emails sent to the Leader and the dissenting Councillors.

Has anyone got the email addresses of the Chron and Advertiser? The one published on the Chron's website doesn't work - yet another rare occasion when the Chron is wrong! :angry:

Diego - My letter to the Chron went at 1.42 this morning and hasn't bounced back yet. Try editorial@oldham-chronicle.co.uk.

Also try the "Contact Us bit which has individual email addresses:-

Oldham Evening Chronicle

P.O. Box 47, 172 Union Street, Oldham, Lancashire, England OL1 1EQ

Tel: 0161 633 2121 Editorial Fax: 0161 652 2111 General Fax: 0161 627 0905

Advertising Manager: Jim Whittingham

Display Advertising Supervisor: Diane Horton

Field Sales Supervisor: Andrew Whitehead

Advertising Features: Denise Lawton

Tele Ad Supervisor: Wendy Krastins

For a copy of our media pack and readership survey results or further information about newspaper/website advertising, please contact any of the above.

All electronic correspondence, including letters to the Editor, should be sent to: editorial@oldham-chronicle.co.uk. If you wish to contact any of the people listed below, please indicate this in the subject line of the message.

Editor: Jim Williams

Deputy Editor Dave Whaley

News Editor: Mike Attenborough

Deputy News Editor: Janice Barker

Assistant News Editor: Samantha Myers

Business: Martyn Torr

Features: Paul Genty

Reporters: Marina Berry, Geoff Wood, Karen Doherty, Usma Raja, Dawn Eckersley, Richard Hooton, Jennifer Hollamby, Anne Arnold

Sports Editor: Bob Young

Deputy Sports Editor: Kevin Richardson

Sports Reporters: Keith McHugh,Tony Bugby, Michael Yarwood, Matthew Chambers.

Chief Photographer: Vincent Brown

Deputy Chief Photographer: Darren Robinson

Photographers: Anthony Miller, Philippa Rustage

© Oldham Evening Chronicle 2004

If there was a failing like that they could just have another vote and reject it through the correct procedure. We need to make them have the argument in public and justify their decision.

yes but they would have to have a meeting to vote again - at which additional representations could be made to address any shortcomings in Brass Bank's application. See Diego's suggestion to Cllr Jones above.

I've followed up your letter to Councillor Jones with the following:-

Dear Councillor Jones.

I know from speaking to Terry Doran that he has highlighted to you the shambolic affairs at last night's Council Meeting. I have no intention of repeating those points as Terry encapsulated the situation eloquently but I was truly shocked at the scruffy and inarticulate bunch of Councillors who flagrantly flouted Council due process in coming to a terrible decision. Disciplinary action needs to be taken in my view as it brought the Council into disrepute.

The reason for writing is to advise that Oldham Council will be subject to massive scrutiny over the coming days and so it is probably worth your while to investigate the facts as soon as possible.

The Councillors are being called into question via email and other media. The discussions around the decision will be subject of Radio 'phone-ins both local and National. The written Press are also involved and will be following up the story given to them. The premier Fans' Website (over 1000 active members) is orchestrating peaceful protest and other action will be taken over the next few days to ensure that the matter is not allowed to drop.

In short, the meeting on Wednesday night was a complete farce and a total embarrassment to Oldham and its Council. The Town is about to become a National laughing stock once again. One Councillor described the plans as "akin to 1960's Russia". I hadn't realised that this was an ambition for our Town rather than a criticism.

I implore you to investigate the matter urgently and provide The Club and its fans with assurances that this gross miscarriage of justice will be rectified as soon as possible. The alternative is to see willing investors walk away from this dying and decaying Town.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I am absolutely gutted at tonights's events.

Then to add insult to injury, after the meeting had gone on longer than I estimated and after I'd joined in the post-meeting debate, I found a fixed penalty notice for £30 on my car windscreen. :angry: Talk about kicking a man when he's down!

In the midst of all my correspondence chastising the Council today, I've managed to find time to send a letter appealing against my £30 fixed penalty from last night.

You know how it's supposed to be lucky if a black cat crosses your path?

Well, on the way to the meeting while driving along a remote moorland Derbyshire lane, high above Glossop, a black cat started to cross in front of the car. Then it stopped and looked at the car. Now I don't like cats crapping on my garden or patio where the grandchildren play but, honestly, I did brake and swerve the car as much as was safely possible, bearing in mind a car was behind me. I think I missed it, and there was no sign of it on the way back. However, what with the Committee's bloody-minded decision and then the £30 penalty notice, I'm beginning to wonder.

My question is:

Does anyone think I have a cat in hell's chance of getting the £30 penalty cancelled?

Check all the info on the ticket. A mate got off one last month as it was dated a month ahead! Sent it back stating that this day hadn't actually happened yet :)

Otherwise blame Bashforth :grin:

Cheers. I have blamed the unexpected adjournment for making me stay longer than the two hours for which I'd paid.

Diego,

I also only paid for 2 hours but was luckier than you. Well actually paid more because the machine wouldn't give change from a £2 coin.Must admit that during the meeting I was wondering if it may cost me. :)

absolutely fantastic emails and letters those.keep up the good work.

i have sent one myself via the councils website,and also one to mr meacher,i was sending one to mr woolas,then the main site featured his thoughts,so i dont need to do that one.

all we need to do now is get some backing off local celebs or something,scholesy would be great.

absolutely fantastic emails and letters those.keep up the good work.

i have sent one myself via the councils website,and also one to mr meacher,i was sending one to mr woolas,then the main site featured his thoughts,so i dont need to do that one.

all we need to do now is get some backing off local celebs or something,scholesy would be great.

Scholesy would generate a lot of publicity but is anybody here in a position to get backing from him?

Edited by carrabanana

I don't live in Oldham but have sent an email to both Alan Hardy and Cllr Jones.

Copy of email to David Jones is below.

Cllr Jones

I am sure you have received countless emails about last nights fiasco at the planning meeting for Boundary Park. I don't live in Oldham but travel from my home in Warrington to watch the Latics. At a time when Oldham is crying out for investment the planning committee have turned their noses up at a fantastic opportunity in exchange for a few votes at the next elections. To go against expert opinion is quite frankly staggering and made the council a laughing stock in front of hundreds of people.

As I say I do not live in Oldham, I moved from Royton 15 or more years ago but the lack of leisure facilities in the borough is beyond belief. Perhaps you and your colleagues should reflect on why this should be. Here in Warrington within a 2 mile radius of the town centre we have a first class rugby stadium which is used 7 days a week, a rock climbing centre, a 10 screen cinema, 3 council owned swimming pools, numerous private gyms with their own pools and gyms, a theme park, a ten pin bowling facility, a go karting track and the list goes on. What have Oldham built in the last 20 years. People like the investors at Oldham Athletic do not come along very often and to be treated in this way is a disgrace to the town and it's residents. To have a scruffy bunch of ill informed councillors be responsible for such a major decision reflects so badly on the town.

I am absolutely ashamed to be associated with Oldham after last nights fiasco. I would hope you can reconsider this application without the club having to finance an appeal and try and right the wrongs which were done to the town and its football club last night.

An ex resident

Diego - My letter to the Chron went at 1.42 this morning and hasn't bounced back yet. Try editorial@oldham-chronicle.co.uk.

Also try the "Contact Us bit which has individual email addresses:-

Editor: Jim Williams

Deputy Editor Dave Whaley

News Editor: Mike Attenborough

Deputy News Editor: Janice Barker

Assistant News Editor: Samantha Myers

Business: Martyn Torr

Features: Paul Genty

Sports Reporters: Keith McHugh,Tony Bugby, Michael Yarwood, Matthew Chambers.

Chief Photographer: Vincent Brown

Just to say a couple of points on this.... the editorial address is the ONLY way to get your thoughts to the editorial team... believe it or not, the other e-mails to individuals within editorial just go to the same inbox, and are distributed each morning from a central inbox by Mike Attenborough to the relevant person... or simply deleted... yes, its true, the cronicle still does not have individual e-mails!

I would encourage writing also - trust me, the way the place works this will probably get more attention than e-mails.... I would ignore anyone but Jim, Dave and Mike... no-one else carries any weight - I am also utterly dissappointed that they decided to give Dawn Eckersley this story, the only thought I can have is that there is was literally no-one else in the office... trust me, she wont give a crap about this and is far too junior to carry any influence....

Just for the record - Jim is a big Oldham fan, I had the pleasure of watching the QPR play off games stood next to him and Bernard the company secretary home and away.... it also may be worth writing drctly to Philip Hirst - the owner, if he feels that this is a big enough story, and that the chron should have an opinion, he will supercede the eds....

BTW... copy is decided pretty much in editorial meeting at about 8.45am.... so any opinions sent later than that will pretty much be in tomorrows paper... I think tomorrow we will get any proper opinions and feelings that the chron wants to state....

Every time I tried the editorial email address used by S_W, it was rejected, so I sent it to Dawn. If she's unsuitable, what does that say about the Chron?

Trust me....Dawn will be extremely concerned about this with the Club and Oldham itself. I can't say why.....you simply will have to trust me on this one BigFin! She will be driving this on within the Chron.....it is in capable hands (and I never ever thought I would use them words, for the Chron!)

Trust me....Dawn will be extremely concerned about this with the Club and Oldham itself. I can't say why.....you simply will have to trust me on this one BigFin! She will be driving this on within the Chron.....it is in capable hands (and I never ever thought I would use them words, for the Chron!)

Cool mate... I was just a bit bemused that they hadnt put one of the senior reporters on it, I think this is the type of story that should be led by the senior editorial team. If there is a good reason for dawn being on it then that is good enough to me... as I say, i remember her when she had just joined the paper 3 years ago, and if you say it is in capable hands then fair enough..

I just know how stubborn certain erm "barriers" within the paper can be - if you want to express an opinion, if she has suitable clout then fair enough... if not the story will dribble out into nohing.... I'm not talking about the passion on the subject - just if you can influence the editorial decisions which is a very different matter....

Every time I tried the editorial email address used by S_W, it was rejected, so I sent it to Dawn. If she's unsuitable, what does that say about the Chron?

The point is really Diego that you are not sending it to dawn, you are still sending it to the same inbox! If it gets through Ed's then it will get to her....

• 2 weeks later...

Then to add insult to injury, after the meeting had gone on longer than I estimated and after I'd joined in the post-meeting debate, I found a fixed penalty notice for £30 on my car windscreen. :angry: Talk about kicking a man when he's down!

Thought you might like to know that my representations made to the Parking Office at OMBC fell on the same deaf ears as all the others I've sent about the Planning Committee issue. So I've had to pay the £30. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
(Diego_Sideburns @ Nov 15 2007, 00:17 AM)

Then to add insult to injury, after the meeting had gone on longer than I estimated and after I'd joined in the post-meeting debate, I found a fixed penalty notice for £30 on my car windscreen. Talk about kicking a man when he's down!

Thought you might like to know that my representations made to the Parking Office at OMBC fell on the same deaf ears as all the others I've sent about the Planning Committee issue. So I've had to pay the £30. :angry:

After the meeting last night I went with Mrs. Sideburns and some OWTB Members for a couple of celebratory Cokes to the Up Steps, by the £600,800 Money-Down-the-Drain waterless piece of street art. After walking back past the expensive non-working clock laid in the floor of High Street, we got back to the Civic Centre to find that my car was the only one left on the part nearest to the Civic Suite. Then a car containing FOUR Parking Attendants drove onto the Car park and headed for the car. One of the Parking Attendants got out to check the ticket, and this time I was in credit, having paid £3.40 at 4.50pm, because the cheaper night rate is only applicable if you put a ticket on until 6.59pm and then put another ticket on from 7.00pm, which I couldn't risk as I didn't know how long the meeting would last. When I put the money in the machine I had a discussion with one of the Attendants, who agreed that the pricing structure was unfair - it's designed to get money out of people attending evening functions, but it's obviously being policed even when functions are not taking place.

Anyway, we waved farewell to the carload of Parking Attendants with a rousing chorus of "Get a proper job!" and, even though I'm out-of-pocket, I feel that I had the last laugh!

I might just ask the Council why FOUR Parking Attendants were on duty at that time of night when one in a car could cover the whole Borough?