Hewitt's latest two penneth

Printed in the Chron tonight, think it is becoming increasingly obvious he is the main instigator of this campaign to tarnish the good name of all OAFC fans.

YOUR editorial (December 12)

celebrating the new Latics stadium

scheme, talks about rumblings

of discontent about the

encroachment on to Clayton

playing fields and issues

regarding covenants.

These are not issues that fans

should be worried about. They

can be worked through so long

as Oldham Athletic and

Oldham Council act in a reasonable

manner.

The council and Latics both

have land registry plans and

the encroachments can and

should be avoided. I believe

that last minute plans submitted

to the planning meeting

addressed part of the problem.

My concern over the Trust land

is well known and I see no reason

why the club needs or even

wants any of the trust land. I

just want them to do the job

properly and the problem will

disappear.

As far as the covenants are

concerned, there is a difficulty

because the same covenants

that have protected the

Clayton playing fields from

developers and misguided

councillors, also cover a large

part of Latics.

To break the covenants on

Latics would break them on

Clayton and that cannot be

allowed to happen because, as

every Oldhamer knows, virtually

nobody trusts the politicians

to look after public

assets.

There are, however, ways and

means round the covenants but

again that requires a willingness

from all parties to sit

down and negotiate in a sensible

manner.

Although Latics have outline

permission to build 700

dwellings there is no insistence

that they go as high as that

number and they may consider

reducing that figure as part of

an overall strategy to upgrade

the club, the site and the

neighbourhood.

The club should be at the heart

of the community and do its

level best to stop the minority

of violent idiots ripping the

heart out of the community

out of misguided loyalty. I

therefore appeal to Alan Hardy

to refrain from his over zealous

rallying cries to the fans, when

things don’t go his way, and act

in a more tempered manner.

Boundary Park is the right

place for a new stadium, we all

know that, but don’t demonise

the residents for trying to look

after their homes and neighbourhood.

There is a world of

difference between trying to

stop a development and trying

to modify it to cater for as

wide a range of interested parties

as possible.

SIMON HEWITT,

Carlton way

Royton

Edited by oafcprozac

I'm sick of this violence accusation and mention of us being yobs.

If Mr. Hewitt and co. had decided not to boycott the democratic process of the planning meeting they would have seen a large number of 'yobs' sat through the whole process in silence and with respect; even when we were faced with the incoherent ramblings of Councillor Pendlebury. It seemed that even Mr. Bashforth had got sick of him.

The only slight change to a normal planning meeting would have been the spontanious round of applause when outline permission was granted. I doubt this happens when somebody gets the go-ahead for a conservatory or something, but in this case it was just an outpouring of relief that common sense had prevailed.

If Mr. Hewitt and co. had decided not to boycott the democratic process of the planning meeting they would have seen a large number of 'yobs' sat through the whole process in silence and with respect; even when we were faced with the incoherent ramblings of Councillor Pendlebury. It seemed that even Mr. Bashforth had got sick of him.

The only slight change to a normal planning meeting would have been the spontanious round of applause when outline permission was granted. I doubt this happens when somebody gets the go-ahead for a conservatory or something, but in this case it was just an outpouring of relief that common sense had prevailed.

Agree totally. People are being given a bad name and that is totally wrong. It started with the Residents letter the other night (marching yobs) and this letter further paints the wrong picture about the fans.

The one good thing here though is that Hewitt is clearly happy to show the Residents' hand in public. They will challenge the Covenants if Latics do not compromise. As someone who has taught negotiation techniques in the past, I can tell Mr Hewitt that he has broken one of the cardinal sins.

They have a weak case and they know it.

His previous exchange of letters in the Chron with Dan shows that he is a master of deliberate misinterpretation with a penchant for taking things out of context in order to "stir the pot".

Agree totally. People are being given a bad name and that is totally wrong. It started with the Residents letter the other night (marching yobs) and this letter further paints the wrong picture about the fans.

The one good thing here though is that Hewitt is clearly happy to show the Residents' hand in public. They will challenge the Covenants if Latics do not compromise. As someone who has taught negotiation techniques in the past, I can tell Mr Hewitt that he has broken one of the cardinal sins.

They have a weak case and they know it.

His previous exchange of letters in the Chron with Dan shows that he is a master of deliberate misinterpretation with a penchant for taking things out of context in order to "stir the pot".

Is there any way we can let Mr. Hewitt formally know our objections to his degrading comments by way of solicitors letter or petition? We need to call his bluff and ask him to provide evidence of yobbish behaviour and proof of this intimidation. Basically he needs to put up or shut up!

I think that unless Hewitt can specify what he is on about in meaning violent then maybe we all should look at getting legal advice on this mattter. If that is not libel, then what is. We have had enough problems in this town caused by ignorant attitudes and I think that the club and its fans have been unfairly hit by such things in the past i.e. race riots etc.

It is obvious that Hewitt is trying to “spin” this situation to make it sound like the Politicians of this town have been forced into change through the acts of a thuggish minority. When of course it’s the acts of a democratic majority that has thankfully managed to progress the stadium development.

The problem we don’t want is to have a London Hack turn up with ideas of thugs/hooligans etc and then link it back to previous troubles in this town in the manner we expect of tabloid press i.e. why let facts get in the way of a good story.

I think that unless Hewitt can specify what he is on about in meaning violent then maybe we all should look at getting legal advice on this mattter. If that is not libel, then what is. We have had enough problems in this town caused by ignorant attitudes and I think that the club and its fans have been unfairly hit by such things in the past i.e. race riots etc.

I'm with you on that

Is there any way we can let Mr. Hewitt formally know our objections to his degrading comments by way of solicitors letter or petition? We need to call his bluff and ask him to provide evidence of yobbish behaviour and proof of this intimidation. Basically he needs to put up or shut up!

I think the libel and slander laws require the comments to be directed against named individuals rather than a group ie "fans". The injured individual would also have to demonstrate that he had suffered because of the slander and that would be impossible to prove based on what has been said so far.

To be honest, I think there is an element of provocation going on and there may be a hope that someone, or a group of our fans do something stupid. Let's hope people treat the comments with the contempt they deserve. As I said earlier, I think they know their position is weak.

Let's also hope that they do not ostracise TTA and the rest of the Planners and continue to work with OAFC. I said yesterday that if they started to really annoy people, then maybe they would get excluded from the discussions and then they'd really have something to moan about.

As someone who has taught negotiation techniques in the past, I can tell Mr Hewitt that he has broken one of the cardinal sins.

"Step away from the ledge......If you jump then we will take any costs of cleaning up the street below out of your life insurance........if you don't jump and step away from the ledge we will jump all over you and then throw you in a mental hospital for the rest of your natural life!"

:lol:

Im furious with this arcticle....

Violence ????????? There hasnt been any! How many reports have the police had ?? How quickly would the Chron have jumped on to such a story ?? He shouldnt be allowed to get away with this. Spent so long peacfully protesting for comments like this to be made..... :angry:

On the face of it, most of Hewitt's letter is at least a reasonable starting point for negotiation. Of course, that's without looking at his previous 'form' which may suggest it isn't as sincere as it sounds.

Shame he goes off the rails when it comes to the last couple of paras and the "violent idiots" and Alan's "over zealous rallying cries".

The best recourse is well written, polite, well argued responses, concentrating on the facts and the apparent willingness to negotiate, perhaps with something suitably short and dismissive about the other stuff to show that such accusations aren't going to be allowed to deflect from the real task at hand.

Guest sheridans_world

I sent the following reply to the chron earlier:

Sir

Peaceful Protest March

As a key person in the organisation of the peaceful march that took place on the 17th November, I am both annoyed and offended at Simon Hewitt's comments (14/12/07) stating that it was an act of violence and that the people who did turn up are "violent idiots" who "rip the heart out of the community". I would like it to go on record that I organised this march as a protest against the council. I involved the police at a very early stage and got full approval from them, several officers were in attendance to make sure it stayed peaceful, I had a report back at the end from all four officers and none of them saw any violence or had any problems. It needs bearing in mind that the march was a protest directed at the council, not at the residents.

If, as Mr Hewitt says, the members of the march are 'violent idiots', then why did the march not go down Carlton Way causing problems for the residents? The answer is simple. Both myself and the team supporting me stopped the march from doing so. I set the route out before hand (going down Sheepfoot Lane and behind the Rochdale Road End) and we did not leave the planned route. I also find his attack on Alan Hardy hard to swallow because the whole idea of the march was publicised on the internet and through word of mouth, Of course the club would support something like this, its to be expected. I think Mr Hewitt has more pressing matters to worry about, such as people wearing these 'Noddy Suits', they are the 'Violent Idiots'.

Simon XXXXXXXX

Lol...are they kisses, or is he blocking out his surname? I know which answer SW will use :wink:

Was going to say, if you're upset at the labelling then use the voice of the Chron. Got to say, they have been fair with the letters they've printed so the right of reply is there. Why not add in too that what is the difference between Alan Hardy's rallying call and the letters that Residents Together posted through letterboxes on Monday night to houses all around Boundary Park? Is that not intimidatory? Putting something through the letterboxes threatening "this is not over" etc. I'd suggest it's as intimidatory as we've been...which is very little, if any.

As for the covenents.....this is the biggest load of balls I've read yet. If that was a feasable argument, then without doubt, it would've already have been voiced to derail the planning permission applications....along with the other bile like "open spaces" they tried with. It's a non-starter. And any letter to the Chron should warn Hewitt, Carlton Way dwellers and Resident Together that now they've lost the battle, they'd be best placed to actually start building bridges with those that matter now (TTA) and to think of the damage to relations they've already caused and question if they really want to put themselves further out in the cold. Might put their noses out of joint to air this, or it might make them wake up! Either way....points worth making IMO.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Lol...are they kisses, or is he blocking out his surname? I know which answer SW will use :wink:

Was going to say, if you're upset at the labelling then use the voice of the Chron. Got to say, they have been fair with the letters they've printed so the right of reply is there. Why not add in too that what is the difference between Alan Hardy's rallying call and the letters that Residents Together posted through letterboxes on Monday night to houses all around Boundary Park? Is that not intimidatory? Putting something through the letterboxes threatening "this is not over" etc. I'd suggest it's as intimidatory as we've been...which is very little, if any.

As for the covenents.....this is the biggest load of balls I've read yet. If that was a feasable argument, then without doubt, it would've already have been voiced to derail the planning permission applications....along with the other bile like "open spaces" they tried with. It's a non-starter. And any letter to the Chron should warn Hewitt, Carlton Way dwellers and Resident Together that now they've lost the battle, they'd be best placed to actually start building bridges with those that matter now (TTA) and to think of the damage to relations they've already caused and question if they really want to put themselves further out in the cold. Might put their noses out of joint to air this, or it might make them wake up! Either way....points worth making IMO.

You want to build bridges as well as flats!!!

:grin:

TBH I think this is quite a tame and reasonable effort from Hewitt considering some of his previous rantings and ramblings.

Have to disagree there. His whole approach makes me furious (thankfully as I'm not a yob I'm not going to get violent about it). Previously he used lies and smears, now that that approach has been beaten he is attempting to be the voice of reason, yet still acting as if he still had some sort of veto over anything. His support for the club being at BP leaves me cold, does anyone believe that he wouldn't have the ground bulldozed at the drop of a hat if he could have his way? He'd probably love to be able to hire a team of heavies to beat up fans on their way past his palace.

I think the libel and slander laws require the comments to be directed against named individuals rather than a group ie "fans". The injured individual would also have to demonstrate that he had suffered because of the slander and that would be impossible to prove based on what has been said so far.

I find it an interesting thing really. He is talking about Oldham fans, so why can we not be a named group. You don't have to an "individual" for it to affect you.... though maybe I am clutching at straws.

It was proven in some research project recently that people are more likley to believe gossip than the truth (then again that could just have been gossip).

"Step away from the ledge......If you jump then we will take any costs of cleaning up the street below out of your life insurance........if you don't jump and step away from the ledge we will jump all over you and then throw you in a mental hospital for the rest of your natural life!"

:lol:

"step away from the ledge "oh god arbers not back is he ?

I sent the following reply to the chron earlier:

Sir

Peaceful Protest March

As a key person in the organisation of the peaceful march that took place on the 17th November, I am both annoyed and offended at Simon Hewitt's comments (14/12/07) stating that it was an act of violence and that the people who did turn up are "violent idiots" who "rip the heart out of the community". I would like it to go on record that I organised this march as a protest against the council. I involved the police at a very early stage and got full approval from them, several officers were in attendance to make sure it stayed peaceful, I had a report back at the end from all four officers and none of them saw any violence or had any problems. It needs bearing in mind that the march was a protest directed at the council, not at the residents.

If, as Mr Hewitt says, the members of the march are 'violent idiots', then why did the march not go down Carlton Way causing problems for the residents? The answer is simple. Both myself and the team supporting me stopped the march from doing so. I set the route out before hand (going down Sheepfoot Lane and behind the Rochdale Road End) and we did not leave the planned route. I also find his attack on Alan Hardy hard to swallow because the whole idea of the march was publicised on the internet and through word of mouth, Of course the club would support something like this, its to be expected. I think Mr Hewitt has more pressing matters to worry about, such as people wearing these 'Noddy Suits', they are the 'Violent Idiots'.

Simon XXXXXXXX

S_W's letter is in tonight's rarely wrong Chron.