I wish we had signed him permanently............

moving on from the players we thought would be ledge's and turned out downright ordinary, which past loanees did you wish we had been able to sign permanently?

My offerings are as follows

Lee Grant

Leon Clarke

Luke Beckett

Simon Webster

Michelle Vonk

Paul Wilkinson (yes he was a tart, but just the type of player we needed at the time)

Aaron Wilbraham

Paul Rachubka

Mike Pollitt

Neil Thompson

Glynn Snodin

Danny Boxall

Tommy Wright (2nd spell, not strictly on loan but would've liked him to have got a deal)

Tomasz Cwyka

Neil Kilkenny

Lee Croft

Not loanees as such - triallists who slipped through...

Sami Hyypia

Keith Gumbs

busy at the moment, could think of quite a few...

Gumbs didn't get a work permit.The same :censored: the young lad from Watford is going through at the moment

do you mean sammi Hyppia as in the liverpool player, i dont get what your on about with him did we have him on trail

We had him on trail when Graeme Sharp was boss, he impressed sufficiently for Sharp to ask Stott and co. to offer him a deal, guess what the answer was..........................???

do you mean sammi Hyppia as in the liverpool player, i dont get what your on about with him did we have him on trail

Yea, we had im as a trialist but didn't sign him on because he was no better then the central defenders we already had at the time.

Gumbs didn't get a work permit.The same :censored: the young lad from Watford is going through at the moment

Yeah, but Gumbs was here legally as he had permission to be here. Al Bagura has had his request for permanent residency declined.

Similar, but different cases.

Yeah, but Gumbs was here legally as he had permission to be here. Al Bagura has had his request for permanent residency declined.

Similar, but different cases.

The Gumbs situation left a nasty taste. He was a full international but because he played for a 'minor' nation he was refused a work permit despite two appeals and Arlene McCarthy the Euro MP getting involved. Similar cases involving bigger clubs had been passed with no problems at all. Once again a smaller club had been shat on from a great height by both the FL and the Govt.

moving on from the players we thought would be ledge's and turned out downright ordinary, which past loanees did you wish we had been able to sign permanently?

My offerings are as follows

Lee Grant

Leon Clarke

Luke Beckett

Simon Webster

Michelle Vonk

Paul Wilkinson (yes he was a tart, but just the type of player we needed at the time)

Aaron Wilbraham

Paul Rachubka

Mike Pollitt

Neil Thompson

Glynn Snodin

Danny Boxall

Tommy Wright (2nd spell, not strictly on loan but would've liked him to have got a deal)

Tomasz Cwyka

Neil Kilkenny

Lee Croft

I'd add Paul Mardon to that lkist as well because at the time he came into the squad, he was head and shoulders above what we had available at the time. Think he only played about another 8 or 10 games after he left BP before he retired. He was only about 31 I think though. Did he get injured?

The Gumbs situation left a nasty taste. He was a full international but because he played for a 'minor' nation he was refused a work permit despite two appeals and Arlene McCarthy the Euro MP getting involved. Similar cases involving bigger clubs had been passed with no problems at all. Once again a smaller club had been shat on from a great height by both the FL and the Govt.

The worst thing about the Gumbs situation was the fact that Wrexham were able to sign two of his compatriats due to different criteria for granting work permits existing in England and Wales! It is nice to know that everyone plays on a level playing field!

We didn't sign Hyypia because his club wanted £50k and we werent prepared to pay it.

And to be totally fair he certainly haddnt shown any signs of being the major star he would turn out to be at that staged, he had promise but then so do alot of players.... he was good but at the time he probably didnt stand out from what we had...

The worst thing about the Gumbs situation was the fact that Wrexham were able to sign two of his compatriats due to different criteria for granting work permits existing in England and Wales! It is nice to know that everyone plays on a level playing field!

I thought the lads Wrexham signed were from Trinidad, wasn't Gumbs from St Kitts?

Anywa, I tell you what did f**k me off at the time though. One of the reasons given for refusal was that St Kitts weren't high enough in the FIFA rankings, we were told players had to be from nations ranked in the top 50, yet at around the same time Bury were able to get a work permit for the Indian legend that was Baichung Bhutia or however you spell it, I mean how f*****g high in the FIFA rankings can bloody India be? Not long afterwards Gumbs was playing in the Champions League for some Greek team and Bhutia was out on his arse.

Not that it's at all relevant any more but just for the sake of nostalgia has anyone noticed that whilst everyone remembers Gumbs, particularly his wild celebration after scoring a last minute winner in the Reserves victory over Citeh, nobody ever seems to remember the name of the other St Kitts fella we tried to sign at the same time. We actually had 3 of them over on trial, think it was a defender a midfielder and a striker (Gumbs) Anyway we let one of them go (think it was the defender) and tried to sign the other 2. I think the midfielder we wanted was called Seretse Cannonier or something like that. The first name is pretty close anyway because I remember always wanting to call him Socratese!

I'd add Paul Mardon to that lkist as well because at the time he came into the squad, he was head and shoulders above what we had available at the time. Think he only played about another 8 or 10 games after he left BP before he retired. He was only about 31 I think though. Did he get injured?

Mardon! Forgot about him, he was gravy and scored a few as well including a very important winner at Meadow Lane