Shez hopes to keep Killer and Bertrand and sign one or two players.

ATHLETIC manager John

Sheridan is already working on possible targets ahead of the transfer window opening next month. Sheridan will be looking to boost his squad with at least one new

signing, but he admits he may need more.

Athletic’s loan agreements with Birmingham midfield man Neil Kilkenny and Chelsea defender Ryan Bertrand run out after the match at Leeds United on New Year’s Day. They would love to keep both players – and Bertrand has said he would be willing to stay – but the decision could be out of Sheridan’s hands.

He said: “I’ll speak to people when the time comes and do my best to keep Neil

and Ryan at the club. “I’ll talk to Birmingham and Chelsea, but I know I’ll

have to look at the situation if they do leave for whatever reason. “Neil is a different type of midfield player to Mark Allott, JP Kalala and Gary McDonald because he creates things for us. “He sees things otherspeople don’t and he has been doing well – if he goes, I’ll try to bring in a similar type of player. “At the moment we don’t

know what the situation will be in January, but I’ve got one or two people in

mind. “Nobody will be leaving if I can help it, but we’ll see what happens with the two lads on loan and I would definitely

like to bring in a striker.”

Kilkenny himself is eager to play for Birmingham inthe Premier League and

believes their change of manager, with Alex McLeish replacing Steve Bruce, will give him a better chance. Bertrand, meanwhile, has attracted a number of scouts from Championship clubs due to his impressive form at left-back. The 18-year-old is highly

regarded by Chelsea, who recently extended his contract to the summer of 2011.

Athletic’s reserves face Manchester United tomorrow in a Lancashire Senior

Cup tie at Northwich (12.30kick-off).

Fans are reminded that tickets must be bought in advance for the big away

games at Leeds and Evertonm on January 1 and 5 respectively.

These are now on open sale at Boundary Park

“Nobody will be leaving if I can help it, but we’ll see what happens with the two lads on loan and I would definitely

like to bring in a striker.”

Phil Jeavons? Certainly doing the business for Huddersfield at the mo. Plus it would make the ideal Christmas present for BigFin.

What about a keeper Matt Murray who is frozen out at Wolves, they have also signed Graham Stack on loan as 2nd choice to Hennessey.

Vernon would be a good loan signing as he isnt get in a look in a scumpool

Matt Murray would be a Grantesque type keeper to bring in wouldnt he? im sure at somepoint he was picking up England youth/under 21 honours? dunno if its plausable we would bring someone with that pedigree in though with our lack of wages but if we offloaf Ricketts especially maybe we will be in with a shout of someone like that!

“At the moment we don’t know what the situation will be in January, but I’ve got one or two people in mind. “Nobody will be leaving if I can help it, but we’ll see what happens with the two lads on loan and I would definitely like to bring in a striker.”

Fast approaching January 2007....yes, 2007....all over again. Be interesting to see how Shez performs this time. Reason I say that is coz last year, we faced a situation whereby we had Porter and Warne and Shez wanted a 3rd choice striker. The biggest sticking point was the settled 2 upfront meant anyone being offered knew they'd probably be coming here to play from the bench. The same can be said again....would anyone coming in (unless it's someone far better than this level) be played above Hughes or Davies? Can't see it. Really does leave us with few to go at in the market.

Last Jan, Shez sat on this, said he would wait....and he did....and he waited still and he never acted quick enough and it appeared costly to us. Only when he finally plumped for Clarke did we turn things around slightly and stay in the playoffs. I hope when he says he's learned a lot from last season, we see him rolling the dice a bit more this Jan than last....we won't be getting the cream but we still could fall lucky if we act early enough. Scunny did with Beckford.

Also, I've noted elsewhere that if KK stays or if KK goes and we get a loanee to replace him then I can see Kalala being asked if he wants to go etc. However, that above implies it might not be the case. Be interesting to see how that plays out.

Fast approaching January 2007....yes, 2007....all over again. Be interesting to see how Shez performs this time. Reason I say that is coz last year, we faced a situation whereby we had Porter and Warne and Shez wanted a 3rd choice striker. The biggest sticking point was the settled 2 upfront meant anyone being offered knew they'd probably be coming here to play from the bench. The same can be said again....would anyone coming in (unless it's someone far better than this level) be played above Hughes or Davies? Can't see it. Really does leave us with few to go at in the market.

Last Jan, Shez sat on this, said he would wait....and he did....and he waited still and he never acted quick enough and it appeared costly to us. Only when he finally plumped for Clarke did we turn things around slightly and stay in the playoffs. I hope when he says he's learned a lot from last season, we see him rolling the dice a bit more this Jan than last....we won't be getting the cream but we still could fall lucky if we act early enough. Scunny did with Beckford.

Also, I've noted elsewhere that if KK stays or if KK goes and we get a loanee to replace him then I can see Kalala being asked if he wants to go etc. However, that above implies it might not be the case. Be interesting to see how that plays out.

The greedy beggers wouldnt stay on in my FM2008 :angry: Killer even went as far as saying he wouldnt even consider Oldham.... I know its only virtual but it still counts!!!!

Sorry il leave now!

Phil Jeavons? Certainly doing the business for Huddersfield at the mo. Plus it would make the ideal Christmas present for BigFin.

What Have I said now??? :huh: Whatver it was I was wrong and I didnt mean it...

what has happened to Matt Jansen, he used to be a decent player

An interesting story that one... after his car crash when he was in a coma, apparently he was never the same player, people at the time said he had the same touch and ability - ie passing range/shooting, however he lost all his football awareness - basically he forgot how to play with other people.... a big shame really....

I refuse to believe that JP will be in this squad come February. Shez says no-one will be leaving, but he has a habit of utterly forgetting players who are not in his plans - ie Woody, Dabo etc... I think you need to take that statement with the caveat that no-one will be leaving whom he doesnt want to... technically Ricketts is still part of this team and he will defo be on his re-inforced bike out of here...

As for who come in - it wont be a keeper, Pogs is back... from all the rumours it will be right sided passing winger/striker - that lad from blackburn has been mentioned many a time.... other than that a target man is also needed, to give another option...

Think with a couple of more wins under our belt come Jan, Latics might be an attractive place to come for someone who wants to play in a confident winning team.... and as is said - this time of year and loan signings is all about luck.... i.e Best & Beckford last year.....

What Have I said now??? :huh: Whatver it was I was wrong and I didnt mean it...

An interesting story that one... after his car crash when he was in a coma, apparently he was never the same player, people at the time said he had the same touch and ability - ie passing range/shooting, however he lost all his football awareness - basically he forgot how to play with other people.... a big shame really....

It was a bike crash and I don't think it was ever really known if he had a crash helmet on or not.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

I hope we sign a quality Keeper please please please please!

As has been said, there is absolutely no chance in hell of us signing a keeper, pogs will be back and that will be fine.... a striker, right winger, left winger, central midfielder, and prob even a left back are further up the pecking order than a keeper...

We need a left winger big time! i already think we've got a superb right winger in Taylor. Maybe he should get a shot out there and see how he does for a few games. A nice bright young left winger is the key for me. I reckon Rubbs might play a few games at left back, he's played there a lot in his career so if bert goes then he could step in for a while. The big problem is if Killer goes, we will seriously miss him IMO. I really hope he stays or Shez gets someone in a similar mould which he says he is looking in to....wellens anyone? :blink: