'Teflon' Lids

BB80 my friend, whilst reading the 'Hewitts last two penneth thread' I noticed the thing at the bottom of your posts (a signature??) about what it will say on 'Teflon' Lids' tombstone. Seeing as you're hardly his biggest fan I thought it nice of you to point out his fine achievement, but you mischieviously sold said achievement short didnt you Mister 80????

Please see the assists table for the entire 2006/2007 Coca Cola Football League 1, taken from the official league website.

I only bother to point this out as a follow on to my replies to your Liddell bashing on the 'who's been a disapointment thread'.

:grin:

King of the Assist, League or Cup....

EDIT : I'l look forward to logging in later tonight then :lol:

Edited by Stitch_KTF

i thought this post was about pots and pans :laught16:

I never quite understood the Teflon thing either!

Still, im proud of my David Currie status winning post.

Incidently somebody mentioned you can contribute a fiver to the site to have a name of your choice.....how do I do this again?? Im up for Lee Hughes, actually nah, im gonna have 'Teflon' Lids. :)

I never quite understood the Teflon thing either!

Still, im proud of my David Currie status winning post.

Incidently somebody mentioned you can contribute a fiver to the site to have a name of your choice.....how do I do this again?? Im up for Lee Hughes, actually nah, im gonna have 'Teflon' Lids. :)

Click here to purchase your new name. We have the item you requested in stock, available on a three year lease in return for substantial weekly payments, but worth every penny :wink:

Im not Lids biggest fan, mainly because he is not my kind of player. It makes me laugh when people get annoyed that he cant beat his man as a winger though. When we signed him i lived in sheffield and spoke to a few sheff utd fans about him and they said all he will do is get the ball out of his feet and whip in a good cross and thats all he has done here to be fair. Cant argue with the stats from last season. I think too many people were expecting him in his Wigan vain of form, and TBH if he was he wouldnt have dropped down to our level.

I thought he looked good against Swansea when being used as a substitute when the opposition has tired a bit!

I thought he looked good against Swansea when being used as a substitute when the opposition has tired a bit!

I thought exactly the same! He changed the game for us against Swansea and think that it could work when he's back. The only problems are if he would be happy to do that and who would you play on the right (assuming 4 4 2) ahead of him?

it appears to me that Lids is a very good instruction taker. He does exactly what is asked of him by Sheridan. I rate him for his ability to whip the ball into the box. He isn't able to turn on pace any more but that doesn't detract from his footballing ability. Fine player in this division. Won't cut it when we get auto promotion this season.....

BB80 my friend, whilst reading the 'Hewitts last two penneth thread' I noticed the thing at the bottom of your posts (a signature??) about what it will say on 'Teflon' Lids' tombstone. Seeing as you're hardly his biggest fan I thought it nice of you to point out his fine achievement, but you mischieviously sold said achievement short didnt you Mister 80????

Please see the assists table for the entire 2006/2007 Coca Cola Football League 1, taken from the official league website.

I only bother to point this out as a follow on to my replies to your Liddell bashing on the 'who's been a disapointment thread'.

:grin:

King of the Assist, League or Cup....

EDIT : I'l look forward to logging in later tonight then :lol:

He had 1 assist from the 2nd of Jan 2007 to May 2007.....I've not checked your link, as I presume he stayed top of it purely coz nobody caught up with him.....3 months work in 2 and a half years. Good enough or disappointing?

Edited by boundaryblue80

Guest oa_exile
it appears to me that Lids is a very good instruction taker. He does exactly what is asked of him by Sheridan. I rate him for his ability to whip the ball into the box. He isn't able to turn on pace any more but that doesn't detract from his footballing ability. Fine player in this division. Won't cut it when we get auto promotion this season.....

Here , Here ! Take a bow Terry :) , these young un's know nowt about the game ^_^

I thought exactly the same! He changed the game for us against Swansea and think that it could work when he's back. The only problems are if he would be happy to do that and who would you play on the right (assuming 4 4 2) ahead of him?

I thought Smalley changed it personally....when he put a peach in for Davies....

I thought Smalley changed it personally....when he put a peach in for Davies....

You know what, after the last few weeks I had actually forgotton about how frustrating watching Lids is, and how much having him in the starting 11 makes my blood boil... agree with evrything BB80 says on this one, the circular arguement about the amount of assists last season, is exactly the same as the arguement over Davies goals this... it looks good on paper but could someone else (or themselves) give vastly more benifit to the team by a different style of play.... the answer is most emphatically yes...

Other than last half an hour cameos, which is all i feel he now has to offer, Lids has no place in this team... for a starting 11 Allott and Smalley are now ahead of him because of the extra dimensions they offer - defensively and going forward... and the merits of putting crosses in from the righ??? whatever - that is what Bertrand is there for...

We will reasses in january, but Lids has no further place in our starting 11 - the last few games have proved that....

One cross does not a player make. Smalley has great potential but I don't think he commands a place in the starting 11 yet. Then again, I don't think Lids can handle a full game from the start either. Maybe Shez should be looking for a new RW rather than a striker?

Guest oa_exile
You know what, after the last few weeks I had actually forgotton about how frustrating watching Lids is, and how much having him in the starting 11 makes my blood boil... agree with evrything BB80 says on this one, the circular arguement about the amount of assists last season, is exactly the same as the arguement over Davies goals this... it looks good on paper but could someone else (or themselves) give vastly more benifit to the team by a different style of play.... the answer is most emphatically yes...

Other than last half an hour cameos, which is all i feel he now has to offer, Lids has no place in this team... for a starting 11 Allott and Smalley are now ahead of him because of the extra dimensions they offer - defensively and going forward... and the merits of putting crosses in from the righ??? whatever - that is what Bertrand is there for...

We will reasses in january, but Lids has no further place in our starting 11 - the last few games have proved that....

and the merits of putting crosses in from the righ??? whatever - that is what Bertrand is there for.......

I dont mind a :rant.sml: BUT at least get the Players in the right positions .........Bertrand on the right :shock:

I dont mind a :rant.sml: BUT at least get the Players in the right positions .........Bertrand on the right :shock:

:laught16::blush:

Sorry - off work with the Flu - must be going to my head... my sentiment about the relevant supposedly attacking fullback still stands.... :wink:

See what the thought of lids causes me to come out with!

Guest oa_exile
:laught16::blush:

Sorry - off work with the Flu - must be going to my head... my sentiment about the relevant supposedly attacking fullback still stands.... :wink:

See what the thought of lids causes me to come out with!

lol :grin: in that case :sick: let yer off mate ^_^

He had 1 assist from the 2nd of Jan 2007 to May 2007.....I've not checked your link, as I presume he stayed top of it purely coz nobody caught up with him.....3 months work in 2 and a half years. Good enough or disappointing?

If that is true then it backs up your point. But I would also argue that that represents a good season which included an outstanding 3 month spell. I mean the fella had 50% more assists for the season than the 3rd ranked player, and an assist is as valuable as a goal. Has to carry some weight - it is a relevant stat!

so the basic arguement here is that being personally responsible for 30 gols isnt good enough? snigger. i piff in your general direction.

Not good enough?....Or....just not as good anymore, in that position? For me, the latter. You're confusing me with someone who says he shouldn't play for us again!

Andy Liddell, one of most technically gifted players and a fantastic role model for our younger players who should all be looking up to him. He can control the ball in an instant, will whip fantastic balls into the box given the chance - if Lids plays later in the season now Hughes is getting into form then Hughes will thrive on Lids crosses and through balls. What Lids can't do is turn on the pace to get past his man and that is why he will never be appreciated by many latics fans. If you look at the 'fans favourites' over the last couple of seasons, Warne, Davies, Taylor etc all of them never stop running which endears them to fans but players like Lids, Porter, Wellens (player who without we wouldnt have got anywhere near the playoffs last season in my opinion) are the ones that people like the have a go at. But thats football i suppose, everyone see's things differently and has different opinions

Lids can't play like he did at Wigan because he's lost the bit of pace he had and if he could he wouldnt be playing for a team in league one

Should he walk back into the team if there on a good run? no of course he shouldn't, no-one should, sit him on the bench and he will earn back his place.

If we get a right winger who is better than Lids then i think he can do a good job coming on off the bench behind the front two if we need an attacking option, but at the moment i don't see where we have a better option on the right. Smalley i like but i think he is better playing as a striker, Allot i've been impressed with but in the centre and Taylor i like too but don't think he is a better option than Lids and besides that leaves us with no-one on the left then

Whats nice is we have different options and players who can come in and do a decent enough job when we have injuries

Edited by Gemma06