chelsea after latics ace

Tbh I find it quite sickening that the young players coming through are getting snapped up by the likes of Chelsea before they've even got close to the first team. They could make a real difference for us in a few years time but instead they go off to the big clubs who are just hording talented youngsters and probably won't be heard of again until they are about 25 and end up at a low end Prem team or in the championship.

Just seems that there isn't enough done to protect small clubs and allow them to hold onto their bright prospects. It's all ifs and buts on whether you see any money on them and tbh I think it damages their career more than anything else when they have to sit in the youth team or in the reserves until they are in their mid twenties. Would Taylor, Eardley or Smalley be progressing the way they are if they were just sitting in the ressies every week getting 20 mins off the bench every now and then?

On one hand, I am pleased that big clubs can't just nick our players as we have seen in the past, at least we get something for them.

But I agree, it still needs huge improvement.

Michel Platinin said, very succinctly, "If my son is playing at Millwall and at 16 Manchester come in for this player then when will Millwall have a good team?"

On one hand, I am pleased that big clubs can't just nick our players as we have seen in the past, at least we get something for them.

But I agree, it still needs huge improvement.

Michel Platinin said, very succinctly, "If my son is playing at Millwall and at 16 Manchester come in for this player then when will Millwall have a good team?"

Exactly, it just isn't good for the game. If all the young English players are being horded by the big clubs then there is always going to be an imbalance in the game. The big clubs first 11's are full of the top players from on the continent and there is little chance that the youngsters coming through will ever get a real opportunity.

So not only are the small clubs losing out by having their top prospects stolen from them for peanuts, but the English game is suffering because then they aren't getting a fair chance. It is so unlikely that these youngsters will ever do anything at the top clubs wouldn't it make more sense to let players develop in the lower leagues and then pay money fro them, instead of always looking abroad to spend money? At least Platini has his head screwed on right and understands that football isn't about who can make the most money.

Exactly, it just isn't good for the game. If all the young English players are being horded by the big clubs then there is always going to be an imbalance in the game. The big clubs first 11's are full of the top players from on the continent and there is little chance that the youngsters coming through will ever get a real opportunity.

So not only are the small clubs losing out by having their top prospects stolen from them for peanuts, but the English game is suffering because then they aren't getting a fair chance. It is so unlikely that these youngsters will ever do anything at the top clubs wouldn't it make more sense to let players develop in the lower leagues and then pay money fro them, instead of always looking abroad to spend money? At least Platini has his head screwed on right and understands that football isn't about who can make the most money.

I see what you're saying, but then on the other hand you have the likes of Micah Richards. I think the example of Taylor, Eardley etc is just that they didn't show the same level of ability when they were Danny Philiskirks age and this didn't get picked up. Ie. The cream of the crop from that age will attract the interests of big clubs, the next level will come through to be our new young stars. I don't think it's any different to how it's always been, but for the fact we now have more control over the young kids and can demand a fee for them. Was it David Brown(?) that the Red Scum stole and were forced to pay us £10,000 for? It's always gone on.....just we never used to hear about it.

I see what you're saying, but then on the other hand you have the likes of Micah Richards. I think the example of Taylor, Eardley etc is just that they didn't show the same level of ability when they were Danny Philiskirks age and this didn't get picked up. Ie. The cream of the crop from that age will attract the interests of big clubs, the next level will come through to be our new young stars. I don't think it's any different to how it's always been, but for the fact we now have more control over the young kids and can demand a fee for them. Was it David Brown(?) that the Red Scum stole and were forced to pay us £10,000 for? It's always gone on.....just we never used to hear about it.

at the end of the day yes there is a morale issue,but the clubs dont have to let the young uns go,they do have a choice.

if the lads parents acting in his best interest say that he should go,as it shows he is better than most at his age,then the club has to get the best deal possible from it,wether its money and sell on clauses or something else.

as other top coaches and managers have said in the past,if a players had his head turned there is no point forcing them to play on when there hearts not in it.

at the end of the day yes there is a morale issue,but the clubs dont have to let the young uns go,they do have a choice.

if the lads parents acting in his best interest say that he should go,as it shows he is better than most at his age,then the club has to get the best deal possible from it,wether its money and sell on clauses or something else.

as other top coaches and managers have said in the past,if a players had his head turned there is no point forcing them to play on when there hearts not in it.

Seems to me like young players need better guidance rather than being pointed where the money is all the time. As I've said I think players get much more from playing regular first team football at our level than getting 20 mins in the stiffs at a Prem club every now and then.

I should imagine Young Philiskirk got plenty advice from his in the know knowledgeable Dad. To fair regarding that deal, Philiskirk got a belter really. A two year scholar period plus a further 2 years after on full pro terms. There's two ways at looking at these deals where young talents get snapped up. Firstly the selling club as no guarantee that these young lads will kick on with their progress, fall by the wayside like so many promising youngster do and drift out the game for no transfer fee. On the flip side they recieve money for unproven lads in todays game where alot of would be transfer fee's in years gone by are no longer a cert. From the young players point of view, you could argue he'll get first team opportunities more at the lower club but on the flip side he'll be exposed to better standard players at the larger club to learn from.

It all swings in roundabouts and the pundits who are paid to voice opinion due to their percieved greater knowledge are as susceptible to events as us fans when deciding what side of the fence they should fall. Before England crashed out of tournaments most told us the influx of talented foreigners would improve our players cos they'll be working day in day out with better standard players. Yet when we fail it's down to the very same foreigners cos not enough of our lads are playing at the top level.

I deduce from all that waffle that for some if it works out and they make the grade and become superstars it's because they left that ickle club and played with the good un's and if they don't make it they should have stayed put!........ Nah, I deduce it's cos they were good enough that they made it, regardless where they are. So if they leave the little club and that said club makes a few quid on them (or at least 3 million in Richards case), then it's good business whilst the little club is scratching around for cash.

Edited by Lags