Macca Gone... Would you get Murray in?

Just a thought... we all know that Paul Murray is available, and has said pretty openly he has had offers from a couple of League 1 clubs... which the rumour mongers have said to be us and Carlisle...

Now... I know he aint the player we had previously, but it strikes me that with macc gone, we have a ready made replacement in Murray waiting in the wings, I would never, ever have contemplated signing him with GMac in the side as its collecting midfielders for the sake of it... but now I think there is a real place for him...

He wont do the box to box stuff like macca, but he is a two way midfielder, and he is experienced, and consistent - two things which we need massively... I think him and allott behind an attacking midfielder in a 3 could be great... we all know Muzza has a great footballing brain on him... and now would love to see him back...

Prob wouldnt want the world in wages either... sure we could get him for a "realistic offer" ...

.. and rememeber that saying "never resign a player" is just wrong... step forward Mr Allott!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked Paul Murray in his time at BP, cracking good player but alot of water has passed under the bridge since then, is he still the same player.

I'd like to see some recent performances before I decided on whether I would want him back now, if he was anything like the player we had here before then the answer would be a definate yes.

i wouldnt hes not the same player now was average in an extremely poor gretna side

I'm not sure really, if he can play anything like he did when he was last with us then maybe but do we really need another crock with his knee just waiting to give up again?

i wouldnt hes not the same player now was average in an extremely poor gretna side

That is again an easy get out for me... and used too often... Reuben Hazell and Mark Allott were average in an extremely poor Chesterfield side... didnt turn out to be too bad did they?

I havent a dicky-bird how good a player he is now, havenet seen him for 5 years... however I just think he has the experience we need, hes know the club, will have the fans behind him from the start, and his knee injuries look to be behind him... as I say, I havent seen him play... but could be the ideal 30 games a season midfielder which Macca was... we will need quality in addition, but we thought that when Macca was here... i'm more thinking about additional depth, experience and reliability...

That is again an easy get out for me... and used too often... Reuben Hazell and Mark Allott were average in an extremely poor Chesterfield side... didnt turn out to be too bad did they?

I havent a dicky-bird how good a player he is now, havenet seen him for 5 years... however I just think he has the experience we need, hes know the club, will have the fans behind him from the start, and his knee injuries look to be behind him... as I say, I havent seen him play... but could be the ideal 30 games a season midfielder which Macca was... we will need quality in addition, but we thought that when Macca was here... i'm more thinking about additional depth, experience and reliability...

to be honest no....i doubt he is playing anything like he did when he was with us,had some nasty injuries.....the club needs to move forward,and if we seriously harbour thoughts of getting out of this league we need a different class of player really.

A quality player imo is Murray, i am not one of those who think it would be a step back. We need to be realistic and realise that players like Murray are pretty much the top of our limits in terms of players we are going to attract here and i cannot understand how people can say he would not add to our squad.

Not sure it's such a good idea to expect him to be the same player he was at the beginning of the 2000's but he could certainly offer a lot more than the likes of Lidds or JP and i doubt he would want much more than those 2 and his contribution in my eyes would be so much more worthy.

I would be delighted if he was to come back as i think he would really strengthen our squad no end.

It'd be like going backwards, there's a reason he's at Gretna...I don't think he's the quality of player who would get us out of this division.

please.....we are in the 3rd tier of football, imo Murray is better than most of the players we have on our books already. I respect your opinion but who in your eyes do you think we can attract here to get us out of this division? I would be most interested to hear.

Please not this again...

Why not? My initial post was that if we still had Gmac I would never have even contemplated signing Murray - that has all changed now...

It'd be like going backwards, there's a reason he's at Gretna...I don't think he's the quality of player who would get us out of this division.

Again, the "going backwards" and "he's at Gretna, they are rubbish" angle doesnt wash... Allott again.... as does the "he's not the type of player to get us out of the division" angle... i'm not saying that... however, one thing we have all said we need is depth an experience... players like Muzza could be worth their weight in gold...

.. we have just lost one squad player who we would have like to keep.. lets bring in like for like... doesnt change the fact we need to find Quality, all i'm talking about is supporting that quality... it really annoys me that supporters expect every signing to be a worldbeater - we need some watercarriers... like Allott.. the reason we have not being able to last the pace is that we just havent had enough depth...

please.....we are in the 3rd tier of football, imo Murray is better than most of the players we have on our books already. I respect your opinion but who in your eyes do you think we can attract here to get us out of this division? I would be most interested to hear.

I'd say Jarrett would be a much better player to have than him or Gary Mac, who has gone to a team much better than Gretna.

I'd say Jarrett would be a much better player to have than him or Gary Mac, who has gone to a team much better than Gretna.

and to be honest yes, i agree with that. i think losing gary mac is a blow, and if we could make some kinda deal for jj then great, he has shown he could be quite an asset to the club but i am not too sure that will happen for whatever reason. even if it did i still think murray would add depth to our squad and for me that is what will get us out of this league.

Why not? My initial post was that if we still had Gmac I would never have even contemplated signing Murray - that has all changed now...

Again, the "going backwards" and "he's at Gretna, they are rubbish" angle doesnt wash... Allott again.... as does the "he's not the type of player to get us out of the division" angle... i'm not saying that... however, one thing we have all said we need is depth an experience... players like Muzza could be worth their weight in gold...

.. we have just lost one squad player who we would have like to keep.. lets bring in like for like... doesnt change the fact we need to find Quality, all i'm talking about is supporting that quality... it really annoys me that supporters expect every signing to be a worldbeater - we need some watercarriers... like Allott.. the reason we have not being able to last the pace is that we just havent had enough depth...

i loved him when he was here, but he is now getting on and has had bad injurys, it has to be a no for me

as for allot he left as a bad striker and and came back a midfielder and still has years on his side and no bad injurys to contend with (touch wood)

what position does murray now play and is he any younger?

please stop using allott as an example as a reason to sign former players back, its a crappy example unless the player left us when he was 21 - 22 and has learnt how to adapt his game to extend his career, murrey cant do that

i loved him when he was here, but he is now getting on and has had bad injurys, it has to be a no for me

as for allot he left as a bad striker and and came back a midfielder and still has years on his side and no bad injurys to contend with (touch wood)

please stop using allott as an example as a reason to sign former players back, its a crappy example unless the player left us when he was 21 - 22 and has learnt how to adapt his game to extend his career, murrey cant do that

i think its laughable that people use his injury record as an excuse for him not being as good as he was any more and therefore not wanting him back. if that is the case then dare i suggest that we get rid of most of our squad, some of whom have had quite bad injuries and been out a while. he isnt getting any younger no and no he isnt the same classy player we had, but nor are we the same team. imo why not try and get him on a pay as you play deal, we wouldnt lose anything then.

i think its laughable that people use his injury record as an excuse for him not being as good as he was any more and therefore not wanting him back. if that is the case then dare i suggest that we get rid of most of our squad, some of whom have had quite bad injuries and been out a while. he isnt getting any younger no and no he isnt the same classy player we had, but nor are we the same team. imo why not try and get him on a pay as you play deal, we wouldnt lose anything then.

[/quote

with or without injuries, he is not as good as he was, full stop.

so why buy back a player, who is not as good as when he left, buying a player inferior to the one we had a few years back makes no sense.

and for fans who want results and promotion this season, is that really the way to go?

murrey was a fantasic player last time around but he left carlisle because they felt he couldnt cut in this division, and we are not the same team as we were then ok, but last time i looked we are still in the same division.

stop looking to the past, (not even an successful past)

:lol:

Brilliant... Mark Allott, from the top of my head is 30/31??? Paul Murray - wow... he's ancient... yeah, oh.. he is 31 too! great example and well put!

Muzza

before you attack me, i'd advise getting your facts straight pal - just another great example of how some fans subjective vision can cloud `judgement... Allott is the perfect example - too old, past player, crap team, yadda yadda yadda...

.. and again, i'm not saying he is going to be the number one midfielder we have - we need more depth!!! Players like Muzza could be gold dust to us... then players like Jarrett and others will get bus out of the divison... we need some bloody depth!!!

IMO most people over-rated him in his first spell with us. He finished his time with us playing out of his skin, but he didn’t set the world alight before then as I can remember. He was a fans favourite because he was all action and pushed us forward, I think it’s fair to ask whether he’ll be able to do that again after all the breakages he’s suffered.

no he isnt as good , he is however better than most we have got imo and just cos he played for us in the past so what!!!!!!! he will strengthen a weak looking squad, even more so now gary mac gone. again it is my opinion then we were a better team when he was last here than we are now. carlisle getting rid doesnt bother me in the slightest, it is all about opinions. my point is he will increase options in the squad, end of. if that is me looking to the past then so be it but one word comes to mind when thinking of whom me may or may not get(and murray may not even be in frame) and that is realism.

:lol:

Brilliant... Mark Allott, from the top of my head is 30/31??? Paul Murray - wow... he's ancient... yeah, oh.. he is 31 too! great example and well put!

Muzza

before you attack me, i'd advise getting your facts straight pal - just another great example of how some fans subjective vision can cloud `judgement... Allott is the perfect example - too old, past player, crap team, yadda yadda yadda...

.. and again, i'm not saying he is going to be the number one midfielder we have - we need more depth!!! Players like Muzza could be gold dust to us... then players like Jarrett and others will get bus out of the divison... we need some bloody depth!!!

i think if you take into consideration murreys knee ops over the last few years, then allot has got more years ahead of him and muzza hasnt, i didnt ask his age did i? , i asked if he had got any younger.

as i recall there was talk of his career being over at the start of last season, he was not playing in a crap carlisle side due to these injuries.

i didnt attack you pal, and if we are talking clouded views, you want murrey back because he played for us previousley and have a soft spot for him like most of us, but he is not good enough and that is a fact that you can not get away from!

no he isnt as good , he is however better than most we have got imo and just cos he played for us in the past so what!!!!!!! he will strengthen a weak looking squad, even more so now gary mac gone. again it is my opinion then we were a better team when he was last here than we are now. carlisle getting rid doesnt bother me in the slightest, it is all about opinions. my point is he will increase options in the squad, end of. if that is me looking to the past then so be it but one word comes to mind when thinking of whom me may or may not get(and murray may not even be in frame) and that is realism.

Absolutely spot on... I think my reasoning behind this posting is the double standards of our fans... we expect every sinlgle player we sign to be a worldbeater, and then get annoyed that we have no squad depth... unfortunately in our position you cant have it both ways....

We need options, and realistic additions to the squad... we said we needed to bring in extra bodies when GMac is here, GMac was a squad player, so before we even look to the quality angle, we need extra depth to replace him... and more...

The opinions on this thread just summise the expectancy of some of our fans... looking back, crap club, so what!? We need bodies and realistic additions - for me Muzza fits exactly into that category...