Bristol Rovers - Pub

I refer to Bigfin's post from last season:

... Just got back from my 'scouting mission' on the gloucester road, and the various drinking establishments in the horfield area.... and the Annexe Inn and Sportsman is definitely the winner... exactly half a mile from the ground (measured with sat-nav), so bout 5-10 mins walk, but as close as the other main boozers...

Great pub - spacey, plasma TVs, 6 pool tables and a decent selection of beers - its a winner for the meet up....

Directions:

From the Gas's ground:

- Turn left by the lights that link onto gloucester road - opposite Horfield methodist Church - and head down gloucester road

- Keep Going straight down, you will pass a Total Garage, and Domino's Pizza, plus lots of other student aimed shops and eateries

- after about 500 yrds from the ground you will walk past the John Cabot & Anchor pubs (told these are the brizzle mainstays)

- Take the second left after the Anchor - this is Nevil Rd, and the pub is on the left after about 100 yrds...

We went in this pub last season and it was a cracker! Bigfin said he would be there for 5.00pm, but it was nearer 7.00pm when he arrived - some excuse about taffic IIRC. :unsure: There was only a handful of Latics fans in there, but I can recommend it to everyone.

http://www.the-barn.co.uk/html/the_annexe.html

http://www.the-barn.co.uk/html/the_sportsman.html

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

We went in this pub last season and it was a cracker! Bigfin said he would be there for 5.00pm, but it was nearer 7.00pm when he arrived - some excuse about taffic IIRC. :unsure: There was omly a handful of Latics fans in there, but I can recommend it to everyone.

:angry:

Do you honestly think I would be late for a lash up if I could at all help it! The whole of Bristol was at a standstill... leaving me and Inspiral_carpet waiting for a taxi in the holiday Inn reception... drinking heavily... as I'm sure you all noticed when I turned up!

It is a corking pub... hopefully more 'tics will come down this year instead of heading for that god-awful boozer accross the road from the ground... (Queen... something or other I think)

:angry:

Do you honestly think I would be late for a lash up if I could at all help it! The whole of Bristol was at a standstill...

...except for the route taken by Latics fans who made it to the pub by 5.00pm. B)

P.S. Advice to all: Try to arrive before Brizzle gets gridlocked after 5.00pm.

...except for the route taken by Latics fans who made it to the pub by 5.00pm. B)

P.S. Advice to all: Try to arrive before Brizzle gets gridlocked after 5.00pm.

Will second that...it took me just under two hours to get from Notts to the junction for Bristol, but over an hour from the motorway to the ground.

In spite of being drenched in the past, last season's great atmosphere in the standing area means standing again this season. Presume the drum will be banned this time.

Perhaps BigFin should be sent to distribute leaflets around the local area to give them advance warning of the drum's arrival.

I think the locals of Horsham are the only ones who despise the drum more than (a segment of) RREnders :grin:

Perhaps BigFin should be sent to distribute leaflets around the local area to give them advance warning of the drum's arrival.

I think the locals of Horsham are the only ones who despise the drum more than (a segment of) RREnders :grin:

The stewards and police said it was not only the local residents, but also the home fans in the adjoining section who had complained about the drum - cheeky Gasheads!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

do you think they will let me change my ticket into the standing section ?

i dont want tot be the only one in the seating section singing alone :disappointed:

I can safely say you will prob be the only person in the sitting area singing! Pretty decent turnout last year on a tuesday night... of which I seem to remember that the people in the sitting area could have gone home in a taxi.....

I refer to Bigfin's post from last season:

We went in this pub last season and it was a cracker! Bigfin said he would be there for 5.00pm, but it was nearer 7.00pm when he arrived - some excuse about taffic IIRC. :unsure: There was only a handful of Latics fans in there, but I can recommend it to everyone.

http://www.the-barn.co.uk/html/the_annexe.html

http://www.the-barn.co.uk/html/the_sportsman.html

I shall be there, taking a couple of days off work and having a night out in Brizzle. Anywhere good to go after the match, being that it’s a Tuesday?

I shall be there, taking a couple of days off work and having a night out in Brizzle. Anywhere good to go after the match, being that it’s a Tuesday?

Student City mate.... and Rovers ground is at the top of Gloucester Road... one of the main student streets.... Tuesday nightr - Choose your weapons, head to some pubs down gloucester road, then take your pick in the centre...

... however, as I ahve a 2-day work conference the 2-days after, there is absolutley no way I will be joining you.... errrr.... well, maybe...

I used to Live at the bottom of Gloucester Road (Stokes Croft) when I was at Uni. The best boozers (IMO) are in St Werburghs and Montpellier around there

I heard of my brother who has lived in Bristol for 6 years (various bits) that Montpellier is a bit rough (not as rough as St. Pauls- which is like Moss Side) but probably not the place where you want to go if you don't know where you are going and can't speak like Vicky Pollard, don't know much about St. Weburghs. Last year I went out in Bristol after the Yeovil game and it was quite good, but thought it wasn't up to the standards of Manchester/Newcastle.

I heard of my brother who has lived in Bristol for 6 years (various bits) that Montpellier is a bit rough (not as rough as St. Pauls- which is like Moss Side) but probably not the place where you want to go if you don't know where you are going and can't speak like Vicky Pollard...

This may help you to understanf the local dialect. Unique to Bristol, is the Bristol L (or terminal L), in which an L sound is appended to words that end in an 'a' or 'o'. Thus "area" becomes "areal", etc. This is believed to be how the city's name evolved from Brycgstow to have a final 'L' sound: Bristol. Further Bristolian linguistic features are the addition of a superfluous "to" in questions relating to direction or orientation, or using "to" instead of "at"; and using male pronouns "he", "him" instead of "it". For example, "Where's that?" would be phrased as "Where's he to?".