All Our Yeaterdays - 25 Years Ago

I stumbled across this which I found an amusing read ….. apart from the final sentence!

http://www.fansonline.net/leicestercity/article.php?id=351

The bit mentioning “….warm up which in those days didn’t consist of very much at all. It was more of a trot about and haphazard kicking of the various footballs lying about.” brought to mind a picture of Ian Marshall stretching his muscles simply by limiting them to two half-hearted leans of his body to the left and two to the right. He never seemed the worse for it - I think the healthy eating regime these days must result in the body needing much more stretching to be done. Way back then the lubrication of plenty of pints of bitter and a few rag puddings seemed to do for the body what pasta fails to achieve nowadays.

Those were also the days when Ian Marshall, Neil Adams and Ricky Holden appeared to have had a bet to see who could score the most goals in the ‘warm up’.

Anyone recognise themselves on the picture from 1983?

me-at-oldham.jpg

I stumbled across this which I found an amusing read ….. apart from the final sentence!

http://www.fansonline.net/leicestercity/article.php?id=351

The bit mentioning “….warm up which in those days didn’t consist of very much at all. It was more of a trot about and haphazard kicking of the various footballs lying about.” brought to mind a picture of Ian Marshall stretching his muscles simply by limiting them to two half-hearted leans of his body to the left and two to the right. He never seemed the worse for it - I think the healthy eating regime these days must result in the body needing much more stretching to be done. Way back then the lubrication of plenty of pints of bitter and a few rag puddings seemed to do for the body what pasta fails to achieve nowadays.

Those were also the days when Ian Marshall, Neil Adams and Ricky Holden appeared to have had a bet to see who could score the most goals in the ‘warm up’.

Anyone recognise themselves on the picture from 1983?

me-at-oldham.jpg

great memories...i used to stand in the chaddy then behind the goal in the middle....

and yes the lack of a warm up never did them any harm did it.....but there was always one player who did do a routine,norm started with jogging across the half way line then back across doing star jumps,cant remember who it was though now.

Guest oa_exile

"I had to stand with the Oldham lot as the City end was a sell out".

lol :lol: In 1983 I doubt very much that Leicester would have "sold out" the RRE in fact I would say he must have gone in the mainstand paddock by mistake. ^_^

If you talk about the scenes against Stockport last week in 1983 he was very lucky not to have living daylights knocked out of him for stood being in there :blink:

"I had to stand with the Oldham lot as the City end was a sell out".

lol :lol:In 1983 I doubt very much that Leicester would have "sold out" the RRE in fact I would say he must have gone in the mainstand paddock by mistake. ^_^

If you talk about the scenes against Stockport last week in 1983 he was very lucky not to have living daylights knocked out of him for stood being in there :blink:

Absolutely right Exile, back then it was still an open terrace that went way back, I bet it nearly held 10,000 on its own.

There's no way Leicester would have sold out that stand.

I was at that game, but I used to go in the Chaddy end back then.

Absolutely right Exile, back then it was still an open terrace that went way back, I bet it nearly held 10,000 on its own.

I was a wee nipper in those days but I can only remember City in '84 and West Brom sometime or other filling the RRE when it was at it's full size.

Guest oa_exile

Yep same as mate as a 20 year old stood int Chaddy , Boy we could sing in them there owd days .......used to blow the Chaddy roof off :wink:

Guest oa_exile
I was a wee nipper in those days but I can only remember City in '84 and West Brom sometime or other filling the RRE when it was at it's full size.

I can remember Bolton in the mid-late 70's also fill it (or near enough) , the season they won Div 2.

The ITV match commentator said 5,000 Leicester fans - they must have not complied with the PA request to move close together to ge more people in - bloody East Midlanders! :wink: .

Guest oa_exile
Especially being so conspicuous as the only person wearing colour amongst everyone in black and white. :wink:

PMSL :grin:

A lot goes to be said about going in the away end and just being the "Grey Man".

Guest oa_exile
The ITV match commentator said 5,000 Leicester fans - they must have not complied with the PA request to move close together to ge more people in - bloody East Midlanders! :wink: .

Just checked the record books for that match:

It just goes to show how attendances in them days were also questionable , officiall attendance that day was 9088....so only approx 4088 Latics :lol:

Great find Mr Sideburns. I were in the CE that day.

Dunno about the fella getting battered tho, if you watch the clip when Leicester score there are quite a few of their lot in the main stand paddock, most at the CE corner.

I could only remember 2 things about that game prior to watching the highlights. One was Darren McDonugnuts volley which I always recall as being from inside our half, its not though. Also at the end there was quite a lot of Leicester on the pitch and as we were making our way out of the Chaddy on the car park side a large group of them set off right towards us, I can remember thinking "ohhhhhhhhhh shhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttt", but all of a sudden our lot on t'other side of the Chaddy started singing "c'mon Leicester" and Leicester turned as a pack towards the other corner of the Chaddy!

There is loads of room on the RRE, sold out my aris. I remember Bolton filling it, in '78 when the capacity was 30000 or so and the official crowd was given as 22000 or summat daft, the ground was packed solid, where another 8000 would have gone is anybodies guess. Other than Citeh (but that was the later fenced in RRE) can't think of anybody else filling it, not even Manyounighted in the mid season friendly (ies?) we had against them in the early 80's.

Edited by StipeTripe

Guest oa_exile
I haven't got my record books to hand (I'm *cough* at work) but I think the City crowd in 84(ish) was around 24,000 which is the largest crowd I've ever been in at BP.

Never been to a big game at BP then ? :lol:

There are not many games I have been to that I can remember their being 25000+ at BP

Manure 1974-75 , Bolton a couple of times , WBA , Citeh .................anyone else ?

Great find Mr Sideburns. I were in the CE that day.

Dunno about the fella getting battered tho, if you watch the clip when Leicester score there are quite a few of their lot in the main stand paddock, most at the CE corner.

I could only remember 2 things about that game prior to watching the highlights. One was Darren McDonugnuts volley which I always recall as being from inside our half, its not though. Also at the end there was quite a lot of Leicester on the pitch and as we were making our way out of the Chaddy on the car park side a large group of them set off right towards us, I can remember thinking "ohhhhhhhhhh shhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttt", but all of a sudden our lot on t'other side of the Chaddy started singing "c'mon Leicester" and Leicester turned as a pack towards the other corner of the Chaddy!

There is loads of room on the RRE, sold out my aris. I remember Bolton filling it, in '78 when the capacity was 30000 or so and the official crowd was given as 22000 or summat daft, the ground was packed solid, where another 8000 would have gone is anybodies guess. Other than Citeh (but that was the later fenced in RRE) can't think of anybody else filling it, not even Manyounighted in the mid season friendly (ies?) we had against them in the early 80's.

maybe im wrong but west brom springs to mind the late 70s and sheff wed in the mid 80s

Never been to a big game at BP then ? :lol:

There are not many games I have been to that I can remember their being 25000+ at BP

Manure 1974-75 , Bolton a couple of times , WBA , Citeh .................anyone else ?

I was at the game when we played Liverpool in the cup, i think the attendance was

42,000. The only seating areas were in the main stand upper as it still is & a small stand on the Broadway

side which was about a quarter of the length of the just dropped stand this being situated centrally about

the present main stand.

I was in the Chaddy end that day & terracing in those days had to have steel barriers set in concrete to try to

stop fans from crushing themselves, but there were that many in the Chaddy that day quite a few of the barriers

collapsed leaving a number of casualties being crushed.

I was in the Broadway stand against Liverpool in 1962 in the 41000 crowd. Couldn't move my arms or go to the Gents.

When the tickets went on sale for that game, I had just got back to Oldham at 5.00am from a night out in Blackpool. Queued for tickets at BP and then played football in the afternoon. Happy days!