Lee Hughes Poll - Would you sell?

DeeDahRover

Hughes Sale  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sell Hughes if you were TTA?

• No
    • Yes
    • Yes + Byfield

According to our official site.

Doncaster Rovers boss Sean O'Driscoll today confirmed that the Club have made an approach to bring Oldham Athletic striker Lee Hughes to the Keepmoat Stadium in January.

Following Rovers' 2-1 win over fourth-placed Burnley on Sunday, Sean confirmed in the post-match press conference that he made contact with Latics' boss John Sheridan about the possibility of bringing former West Brom striker Hughes to Doncaster, with the player having a buy-out clause in his contract at Boundary Park.

Why can't we have a transfer window without trying to sign one of your players?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to our official site.

Doncaster Rovers boss Sean O'Driscoll today confirmed that the Club have made an approach to bring Oldham Athletic striker Lee Hughes to the Keepmoat Stadium in January.

Following Rovers' 2-1 win over fourth-placed Burnley on Sunday, Sean confirmed in the post-match press conference that he made contact with Latics' boss John Sheridan about the possibility of bringing former West Brom striker Hughes to Doncaster, with the player having a buy-out clause in his contract at Boundary Park.

Why can't we have a transfer window without trying to sign one of your players?

Please just leave us alone.

We've offered him a contract according to our fishal. It's all very interesting, if slightly unnerving. Truth be told though, I expect to see him in the Championship come the end of the January, if not with you then with someone else.

Could be a tough call for Hughes.

On the plus side for the move - Close enough to be able to stay put house-wise; great new stadium.

On the minus - unlikely to be a 'big payday' compared to other Champ clubs; and prior to last 2 results unlikely to be in the Championship in August.

Can you afford £400k? Or £300k?

With your last 2 results, it could be a move for Hughes that he sees 'as likely' to be in the Championship next year as us. He might well back himself to get enough goals to keep you up.

Would presume any deal would include Byfield going the other way. How long does he have on his contract?

Soulless bowl...

I am not sure I agree with these type of comments any more. Most new ground are a little identikit at times but still considerably better in terms of facilities etc etc than most old grounds that have had little / no investment (BP for one).

I would prefer to keep an old ground and rebuild it from the bottom up (if only to avoid being lumbered with a sponsor named stadium and therefore no identity ala Glalpharm) stand by stand as we are planning and as many clubs have done.

Given the choice of working / playing in a crappy old office block OR a nice new one with all mod-cons - the former is a better choice. So for a non-fan of Oldham (we have sentimental attachments) BP is a dump. The Keepmoat is nice. IMO without blue-tinted glasses I'd prefer a better ground to work in.

Only 4 days till the window opens so expect speculation to get even more frenzied.

Ive got a nagging feeling that we are offering a contract in vain so if he does go it gives us fans the impression the club has done their all to keep him which im sure they will do.

Situation is clear all round tho he either puts pen to paper or we sell to the highest bidder

I don't think the bid would be 400k, more like 300+Byfield I would think. I do think he'll leave you but it could be for anyone and probably won't be for us. A guy who sits in front of me at the Keepmoat was adamant that the transfer is all agreed and he's usually right. I guess we'll see. Alternatively, would Hughes get first team football at another Championship club? I don't know if he's the right man for us, but he has had a brilliant season for you.

Do the right thing Lee.

I agree Coco. He should do the right thing.

I'm sure you would agree that after the way we have looked after him since signing and sticking by him through his initial 9 month injury hell, he owes us a bit of loyalty. So I couldn't agree with you more. :wink:

Cheers,

Harry

I don't think the bid would be 400k, more like 300+Byfield I would think. I do think he'll leave you but it could be for anyone and probably won't be for us. A guy who sits in front of me at the Keepmoat was adamant that the transfer is all agreed and he's usually right. I guess we'll see. Alternatively, would Hughes get first team football at another Championship club? I don't know if he's the right man for us, but he has had a brilliant season for you.

I have also been told that. By an extremely reliable source. Hope it is wrong though. Without Hughes, we will fall down the table and end up Top half at the very best.

What value is Byfield? What did Rovers pay and when? How long is left on his contract.

To be honest if Lee does not accept the deal we have offerred and Rover offer £300k + Byfield I think Latics will take it. It will be a shame for us - he is a good goalscorer and has cheeky fun loving (or annoying if you are the opposition) style on the pitch. Whilst this can result in unecessary bookings and suspensions - it also brings some great entertainment and laughter.

Without him and without another forward in form (Byfield could do it I suppose) we will struggle to keep pace.

Can he do a job for you? I'd be very confident that the answer is yes - quite possible his goals would keep you up.

Can he do a job for another Championship club? Well his has around a 1 in 2 record with us, and looks a class above in this division. I'd say he could start, and score regularly (at least 1 in 3-ish) at that level. Good enough I'd say. He has also shown he can do it at that level before and at 32 is not 'past-it' just yet. Another season and a half at least I'd say.

What value is Byfield? What did Rovers pay and when? How long is left on his contract.

To be honest if Lee does not accept the deal we have offerred and Rover offer £300k + Byfield I think Latics will take it. It will be a shame for us - he is a good goalscorer and has cheeky fun loving (or annoying if you are the opposition) style on the pitch. Whilst this can result in unecessary bookings and suspensions - it also brings some great entertainment and laughter.

Without him and without another forward in form (Byfield could do it I suppose) we will struggle to keep pace.

Can he do a job for you? I'd be very confident that the answer is yes - quite possible his goals would keep you up.

Can he do a job for another Championship club? Well his has around a 1 in 2 record with us, and looks a class above in this division. I'd say he could start, and score regularly (at least 1 in 3-ish) at that level. Good enough I'd say. He has also shown he can do it at that level before and at 32 is not 'past-it' just yet. Another season and a half at least I'd say.

He would thrive on passes made by Richard Wellens.

One thing you can be sure of his agent will be sniffing around other clubs.

Dont forget the incident in the summer where he was touted to Dundee United Manager Craig Levein....."I got a call from an agent regarding Hughes and was told he was out of contract when in fact he still had a year to run, so that was that"

True. Apparently we've offered him a deal which would make him the highest earner at the club since the new owners took over. Lets hope he repays the loyatly we've shown in him by staying put...

Let's hope, yes. But don't hold your breath. I fully expect Davies and Byfield up front on Saurday, whilst Hughes is in FA Cup action v Cheltenham.

Taylor - We need to give him the ball before he can make a pass.

Lee - Likely to be "Rested" on Saturday, and not feature again untill March 2010.

Maher - Only passes sideways.

Cheers for your positive response of our players! I'll try and give you a more realistic view of them 3 now :wink:

Taylor - Has had the ball given to him, regularly double marked, missing Jones' overlaps, maybe jaded at the moment.

Lee - prob right about the possibility of him resting - 2010 though :grin:

Maher - Does a lot more than pass sideways and if regularly trying to switch play is, in your opinion, passing sideways, then fair enough!

True. Apparently we've offered him a deal which would make him the highest earner at the club since the new owners took over. Lets hope he repays the loyatly we've shown in him by staying put...

By giving him a contract, Hughes' part of the bargain is to score goals - he's done that. If the club wish to sell him for a handful of sixpence, you cannot blame them, nor he for going, who shouldn't be playing at this level anyway! We gave him his chance, he's took it, fair play to him