LOTW - 19/4/07 - Jimmy Frizzell

Stevie_J

lotwfrizcl4.jpg

Welcome to the fourth Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's the great Sir Jimmy Frizzell, a Latics legend as both player and manager.

We're looking for you, our members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend!!!

Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Go to school with him? Get hit by his car?
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stat's or career stat's then post them too, pictures, videos, songs!?
Post them all!!

So, Get Posting!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

Stevie, what happened to 'SIR'?

My son still keeps in touch with his grandson James, went to juniors together. Used to see the great man at school matches, what a nice bloke*.

*except when he was at Citeh and referred to us as yarddogs.........YARDDOGS YARDDOGS YARDDOGS.

Stevie, what happened to 'SIR'?

My son still keeps in touch with his grandson James, went to juniors together. Used to see the great man at school matches, what a nice bloke*.

*except when he was at Citeh and referred to us as yarddogs.........YARDDOGS YARDDOGS YARDDOGS.

Apologies, Martin. Duly added. :)

Frizzell was before my time, just, but I know that, as a manager, he layed the foundations for what his successor, Big Joe, achieved. I've heard older fans say that they rated him as a better manager than Royle (not many, mind) and, from what I've read and heard, his sacking was a little harsh.

I don't know much about him as a player though.

from what I've read and heard, his sacking was a little harsh.

I started going in '76 with me mate and his dad, when Frizz was sacked me mates Dad said he was through, done with Latics and would never, ever, go again. Well he kept his word until the mid 90's when he went a couple of times but only to sit with a friend of his in the away section! Saw him in the Chaddy, last season and thats the first time he's been back properly to watch Latics. Nowt like bearin a grudge eh

Did you miss a "what" out there Mr J.

Hurrraaaaaahhh I got to pick you up on something :lol:

Edited by Stevie_J

Sir Jimmy Frizzell was signed as a player in 1961 ish. Originally as an inside left as it was called then. He was a solid reliable player, not spectacular but hard as nails. In his later playing career he was moved to full back by Jimmy McIlroy who ahem "managed" Latics in the Ken Bates years.

It was as manager though, in my opinion, that he attained Latics legend..nay Godlike status. He took us from bottom of Div 4 to 3rd division champions frpm 1969/70 to 73/74. Then kept us in Div 2 for about 10 years till he was sacked. Incidentally 72/73 was similar to this season in that we had a poor start, then a brilliant run, but evenuially tailed off and finished 4th I think, just missing out on promotion as there were no playoffs then. So there is still hope this season.

Anyway back to topic, on a miniscule budget he signed Jim Fryatt, Harry Dowd, Colin Garwood Kenny Clements, Paul Futcher, Alan Groves, Simon Stainrod, Vic Halom, Roger Palmer, Rodger Wylde, George Jones to name just a few, all legends. He made huge profits for the club on transfer deals. So he was a legend who signed more legends. I was near to tears when I heard he had been sacked just couldn't believe it.

Latics did not have much luck in the cup comps under Frizz which I think is where Joe Royle was helped but fair play to Sir Joe, he always acknowledged his debt to Jimmy Frizzell.

Joe is also quoted as saying that at his interview for the manager's job he was told something along the lines of "Jimmy Frizzell has worked miracles at this club but we are looking for something different" !!! says it all really. In my opinion Sir Jim set up the modern Latics with ambition beyond the lower divisions, and he and Sir Joe are without doubt the best managers OAFC have ever had....though I have High hopes for Shez

Edited by eddyblue

Jimmy deserves the accolade of 'legend', both as a Latics' player and manager. He annoyed me at the time with his 'yard dogs' comment after we beat his Citeh, but without it we wouldn't have had that fantastic scene at Walsall, with many hundreds of inflated yard dogs being waved in the air - a classic Latics moment!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Jimmy deserves the accolade of 'legend', both as a Latics' player and manager. He annoyed me at the time with his 'yard dogs' comment after we beat his Citeh, but without it we wouldn't have had that fantastic scene at Walsall, with many hundreds of inflated yard dogs being waved in the air - a classic Latics moment!

Frizz was a player the supporters could rely on to do a good job anywhere he played. Tackled hard, could use the ball pretty well, and was top scorer onje season too. Wing half, inside forward, full back, cenre forward, he was a true all rounder. When he took over from Jack Rowley he brought a real feeling for the club to his management - something that we may also be seeing with Sheridan. His record of great signings - mentioned in an earlier post- shows that he belied his dour Scotsman image as we played great attacking football in many of the seasons he was in chrage. And he was obviously persuasive and respected - the capture of Fryatt, Dowd, Hurst, Clements, Futcher et al is evidence of that.

He also gave me a complimentary ticket for the away match at Manure in 1975, I was outside the official entrance at the Home of Satan and he popped out and said "here you are son".

I heard of his sacking on a radio in a shop in Manchester. Was sad but not surprised, the times were a-changing and seasons without a trophy wasn't good enough for directors.

Edited by LaticsPete

Guest oa_exile

Just to add a little on his playing career ,

Sir Jimmy spent 10 years as a player at Boundary Park making 318 appearances and scoring 57 goals.

He was the clubs leading Goalscorer in 1961–2 with 24 goals , not bad for a midfielder :wink:

Read his gas meter not long ago,still lives nae far from Latics.

He was havin' a potter round his garden,regularly rub shoulders with the stars me B) .

Top man,i grew up with Frizz as our manager.Started going in '68/69 as a 4 year old when we got relegated to the basement (admittedly don't remember a great deal of my formative years as a 'tic) but i remember the good bits,the players he signed and the march he took us on as i watched wide eyed as a young 'un in the early seventies.Might have only been from the basement to the second division as it was then but to me it was magical.

Fryatt and Shaw in 70/71 goalscoring machines,my first away games in the Champs winning season York and Chesterfield.

Alan Groves,god that he was!

Les Chapman,Vic Halom,Ian Robins,David Shaw back again,Stevie Taylor,Simon Stainrod,Roger Wylde.

Maurice Whittle,always came out with his socks round his ankles,shinners were for puffs.Woody,there forever,always dependable.

All Frizzells men(there's more i haven't mentioned just threw in the ones that came immediately to mind),all testament to his ability to sign a cracking player.

Swore i'd never go again when he was sacked,lasted 3 games because ultimately the club is all people come and go in it's employ,but he was,is and will always be a Latics legend.

Edited by inspectormorose

Guest sheridans_world

Jimmy lives on the same street as my gran. When i walk to the match i often see him with a set of golf clubs or in the garden, always let on to him about the match. Always get a polite, or in some cases, witty answer! What a gent, great man.

Jimmy lives on the same street as my gran. When i walk to the match i often see him with a set of golf clubs or in the garden, always let on to him about the match. Always get a polite, or in some cases, witty answer! What a gent, great man.

Has he got a black and white spotted dog? :devilish:

Shame he doesnt go to the match instead of playing golf!

I remember him as a great manager. First time I went to BP, Latics were trying to get out of div 4 and managed it. Frizzell had a wonderful knack of buying legendary players cheap and he must have been a great motivator. Who remembers this team list? Dowd, Wood, Whittle, McNeill, Cranston, Bowie, Heath, Shaw, Fryatt, Bryceland, Bebbington sub Sweeney. It was the same team for must have been two years. Could recite it in your sleep. They were brilliant. Very entertaining and knew each other so well they played like a machine. Felt sorry for Sweeney who rarely left the subs bench cos they didnt need him. Most of these guys took them to div 3 championship.

Agreat era, and great memories thanks to Sir Jim.

I dont remember him as a player (before my time) but he was manager when I first went to BP in 70/71.

I was only a nipper back then, but by 73/74 I was a regular and remember us winning the old 3rd division, the great thing about it was Bristol Rovers were miles clear of us on points but we finished like a train to pip them at the post including winning at the old Eastville stadium 2-1, Ian Wood scored one of the goals from right back I seem to remember. Bristol Rovers as I said were clear of us on points and even had mechandise (t-shirts etc printed up with 3rd Division Champions on them and had to scrap the lot).

In the first game I ever attended v Swansea the team sheet included Fryatt, Shaw, Cranston, Bowie, Bebbington, Dowd, Mcvitie, Wood, Whittle.

I remember Maurice Whittle as a great penalty taker who never seemed to miss, great team and great memories for me.

Frizzell also then consolidated us as a 2nd Division team (no mean feat as we hadn't been that high in status for many years).

I remember him being sacked and being very shocked as we never sacked our managers in those days and he was such a long serving manager and great servant of the club as player and manager.

As has already been said he laid the solid foundation on which much of Latcs and Royle's success was based.

A TRUE Latics Legend. :imnotworthy:

Edited by Hometownclub

• 2 weeks later...
sir jimmy frizzell too me was god i knew him very well ,he always had time to talk too me ,as i used to watch and help the team when they were training on mini wembly and i went with the team to a few away matches on the coach ,like to the anglo scottish cup match in morton ,were i also met jimmys dad , and as jimmy like a few whiskeys etc i bought him a 1gallon bottle of bells whiskey for his birthday ,which he enjoyed very much ,and once coming home from a away match the team coach took me home up to my door thanks to jim ,and woody and dave holt who lived near mee too ..when harry whilde :sign0068: sacked jimmy it was like the end of the world for me ,latics did a testermonial for jim and i sponserd a night at the greyhounds for jim ,i have a photo of jim and myself (need to findi)t ,and when i do , i will put in on the site,when jim was city manager ,he sent me lots of progs from their games and i once sat next to him in the players dug out at city (no i am not a closet city fan),and after the game we had a few drinks together ,i still send him xmas cards etc ,2years ago jim had a heart op and i sent him a get well card ..and to cap it all i named my son after him (sons middle name is james ,jims real name is james frizzell )...........jimmy too me is latics best ever manager with big joe coming a close second Edited by boboafc