Song Poll

Blue_Guru

What would you like to sing/hear once that oldham goal flies into the back of the net?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Make your selection for our official chant....

• Love love me do ( a suggestion on JK latics)
    • Guns of navarone
    • Glad all over
    • Mouldy old dough
    • Boys in Blue
    • Party all the time
    • Jump around

Thats supposed to be guns for navarone by the specials btw!

Please do not dismiss a song you do not know, do a search on youtube and listen to all the candidates and pick the one you think suits best. Remember the song needs to be easily sung and recognised, with a catchy tune. So songs with long verses and lyrics should be dismissed. Hopefully the club will seriously consider playing the winning song once a goal is scored at BP and we can then say we have our own little piece of history....

(P.S any song not listed if there is enough interest who agree write your idea down here below)

Edited by oa_exile
Changed to navarone

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be guns of Navarone .... i have sung this a few times at away games (usually on my own and usually a little drunk) will be giving this a run out at Clyde .... promise you'll like this more that the Rocky theme I fed you all at Swansea and beyond. dough will always be the song associated with Latics... but just not lively enough for during the games

Thats supposed to be guns for navarone by the specials btw!

Please do not dismiss a song you do not know, do a search on youtube and listen to all the candidates and pick the one you think suits best. Remember the song needs to be easily sung and recognised, with a catchy tune. So songs with long verses and lyrics should be dismissed. Hopefully the club will seriously consider playing the winning song once a goal is scored at BP and we can then say we have our own little piece of history....

(P.S any song not listed if there is enough interest who agree write your idea down here below)

We should sort the spelling out on the poll, otherwise people won't be able to find The Guns of Navarone on youtube!

It's by The Skatalites, too. I don't think I've heard it anywhere else, which would make it quite a classy choice. :smoking:

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

Yeh, but the specails version on youtube is quicker and probally would fit in more ... believe this should just be a general chat (which keeps going and going thoughout the game) though and a great excuse for some rather daft dancing in the paddock

listen to the crowd in this ... class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvhnD-pGd0w...ted&search=

gotta admit ive changed my mind on this 1. for me its got to be guns of navarone wud be class playing that when we score cud imagine it goin mental. sumone defo needs to email frannie asap.

Edited by Lordy

If we're going to go for something like 'Guns of Navarone' maybe 'Here Comes Your Man' by the Pixies would be a good choice as well. Easy riff for people to join into so fits into that category. Personally I would prefer if all teams just dropped the songs and we all just celebrated like the 'old days' but if we must have a tune I guess we might as well be original.

Edit: Just to add to that whilst i'm thinking about Pixies songs maybe 'U-Mass' would be good as well. Not really one to sing along to but it would sound cool when it kicked in everytime we score and people could clap along. Thinking about it actually singing along to it would probably work as well just to the guitar riff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GthrebK0Vak

No idea what is going on in this vid but I just found it for the song....

Edited by LeylandLatic

Guns of Navarone is a good choice as it has no words as such. It's far easier for people to join in if all they have to do is go 'Ner, ner, ner, ner, ner' etc. I must seek out my pork pie hat.

Guns of Navarone is a good choice as it has no words as such. It's far easier for people to join in if all they have to do is go 'Ner, ner, ner, ner, ner' etc. I must seek out my pork pie hat.

Credit where it's due - it was StipeTripe who first suggested Guns of Navarone arising from a thread about a song for Lee Hughes.

QUOTE(StipeTripe @ Jul 13 2007, 08:43 AM)

Slightly off topic, but can I just add that I've always thought that playing "Guns of Navarone" by the Specials after we score would be quality, in my opinion like.

Der der der der der der der

Good choice! Here's a clip of what it would sound like at BP when we score.

P.S. The guy is Neville Staples (not Stape).

sum1 defo needs 2 email frannie asap.

I've emailed Stuart Vose asking him to bring to Franny's attention the result of this Poll.

In the meantime I can't get out of ny head:

Der, der der, der

Der der der de der

De der der de der..derrr

Der der der der derr! :grin:

Yep it was StipeTripe who suggested it ..... great choice I've been humming this or years!! :bblue2:

Guns of Navarone :mmm:

Have to say, I have never ever heard this song before in my life.... therefore was very dubious when i first started listening to it... but... then.... before I knew it... I was humming away and dancing about.... gentlemen - we may have a winner...

However, think you may have a job convincing the apathetic oldham public.....

I am very dissapointed no-one has voted for Party all the time... :disappointed:

Edited by BigfinLatic

Am I the only person who doesn't really like Guns of Navarone? It just seems a little too 'happy' if that makes any sense, lol. It hasn't got any balls.

Also do you not think it would be wise to try and involve the Official Site in this poll and have it put on there so that a wider spectrum of the clubs fans will have a say? It could potentially end up that a large number of fans don't know the song at all and many others may just not be a fan of it. I think it would be best if we involve as many as we can, that way we're more likely to get a winner that will 'take off'. Maybe they could lay down the rules we have on the OS for suggestions, ie. catchy tune, easy to sing, etc.

Think the guns of Navarone is a class one for a goal song - was sceptical at first as the main reason glad all over works so well at the lashers is the crowd joing in on the chorus, so thought someting along those lines, but seems like you can't beat a bit of der dering!

On an aside my vote for walking on the pitch would be Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle - get a bit of intimidation going!

Think the guns of Navarone is a class one for a goal song - was sceptical at first as the main reason glad all over works so well at the lashers is the crowd joing in on the chorus, so thought someting along those lines, but seems like you can't beat a bit of der dering!

On an aside my vote for walking on the pitch would be Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle - get a bit of intimidation going!

That's a good call for 'Welcome to the Jungle'! Would get the players in the mood as well. I'm sticking mby my suggestion of UMass by the Pixies for a goal celebration song though. I think it would just sound cool blasting out when the ball hit the net!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GthrebK0Vak

We should have something by a local band for the coming out music howabout Blue Monday by New Order? It has blue in the title and we could edit it so that it is at a good part of the tune, it will only be played for about 30 seconds so only a really uptempo bit is needed.