LOTW - 03/01/08 - Neil Redfearn

Stevie_J

lotwredfearnfp0.jpg

Welcome to the 27th Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's Latics' last-gasp hero, Neil Redfearn (who's featured on the current OWTB/OAFC Legends T-shirt, by the way! :wink: ).

We're looking for you, the OWTB members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend. Anything at all.

Mate of yours? Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Get hit by his car? Had a scuffle with him?!
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stats or career stats then post those too; pictures, videos, songs, etc, etc...!?
Post them all!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

He will of coarse (as has already been said) be remembered for that penalty against Sheff. Wed at BP that won us that game 3-2 and also the old second division Championship.

A fantastic day in the clubs history and to be remembered primarily for that must be great.

He was an extremely clean striker of a ball and was dangerous from free kicks around the box as well as his penalty taking, he really did have a good shot on him from open play as well.

I was really surprised and disappointed when he left the club (fell out with big Joe apparently) but proved after that with Barnsley that he could cut it at the top level.

I don't think I ever saw him miss a penalty for Latics and the pressure he must have been under when he came back out of the changing room would have been immense, but the result of that spot kick was never in any doubt as he had a very cool head, and wrote himself indelibly into the clubs history.

He obviously just loves playing football as he is still playing now aged 42.

If he had never done anything else in a Latics shirt scoring that penalty alone made him the Latics legend that he undoubtedly is.

Cracking player

That penalty

:imnotworthy:

.....what a shame that he ended up being a stubborn Yorkshireman though. He has had more Clubs that Seve Ballesteros due to him being pig-headed (by his own admission).

There is NO loyalty in football :disappointed: (apart from us supporters)

Cracking player

That penalty

:imnotworthy:

.....what a shame that he ended up being a stubborn Yorkshireman though. He has had more Clubs that Seve Ballesteros due to him being pig-headed (by his own admission).

There is NO loyalty in football :disappointed: (apart from us supporters)

joe re-signed milligan and wanted to play redfearn on the right instead of adams, which he did a few times, over the few seasons he was with us, redfearn argued that he just wanted to play in the middle and that he was better in the centre than milly and henry, joe disagreed and sold him off for next to nothing, ( thats what i was told by a former director and very good friend of joe)

shame really because redders showed how good a player he could be in that division a few years later.

Edited by palmer1