Shez or Dowie?

ghostofcecere

Shez or Dowie?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Shez or Dowie?

• Shez
    • Dowie

I think I know the answer to this one, but I thought I'd put it out for debate.

I thought Dowie was the best we'd had at BP apart from Jimmy Frizz and Big Joe, his enthusiasm and ability to motivate a young sqaud were a breath of fresh air after Sharp, Warnock, Wadsworth etc. I think some of the training techniques he introduced also were pretty revoloutionary for English, never mind lower league football also. But with hindsight now when you consider the budget he had only getting us to the playoffs was probably pretty poor. The only thing you could say in his defense was that it was a pretty strong League 1 that season.

Now for Shez. After the first few games of the season even the most diehard of us must have thought we were in trouble. What has happened since has been un-beleiveable. We couldn't hit a cow's a**e with a banjo for 5 games and now we are top scorers in the division! The only money that has really been spent is on Gregan's wages (I doubt Rocky was on much even though he came from Wednesday) and they way we are playing football we look like a side who should be playing at a higher level.

So hail king Shez I say!

Was does everyone else think?

*Edit by Stevie_J - poll added.

Yep, Shez for me. Although Dowie was a great motivator and I held his fitness regime in high regard, he turned out to be a money grabbing traitor. Just look where it has got him.

Shez still has a lot to learn, but I think he commands great respect, not only as a gaffer, but as a former footballing legend. We certainly seem to be on the up. Let's hope we go from strength to strength.

Best of luck Shez.

Dowie's (or is it more his backroom team's?) motivational techniques are legendary. They are also short term and will never last more than a season which is probably why he has never yet seen through a contract. Where he can be bothered to sign one that is.

Shez doesn't rely on motivation. He teaches and preaches what he wants to see and gives out rollickings if his standards are not met. He is learning tactically all the time. Add on the fact that he wasn't given massive funds (in fact his budget was cut) and IMO, Shez is ten times the manager that Dowie could ever aspire to be.

Shez fer me anyday

We had this discussion on the train home on Saturday. a lot of the younger lads raved about Dowie. We were a big side under Davros, but with little flair, we tended to grind and battle our way to results based on our solid defence. There were a few highlights, such as the 6-1 v Mansfield, the wins at Derby and West Ham - but in the main we were rubbish at home. Under Sheridan we fear no one, we are very good at home and have tended to annihalate most teams at BP,then we go into their backyards and play them off the park, with many opponents stating what a good team we are; Gillingham, Swansea and Huddersfield to name a few.We can fight, scratch and battle our way to points too but for sheer passion and ability with the football this team is streets ahead.They want to be here too, not like many of the mercenaries we brought in with Moore's money. (Cough, Wijnhard, Hill, Dowie, Harbin, cough) The good old days are back and that for me is down to Shez, Tommy Wright, Dux and TP all Latics through and through, with a real affinity to the club.

Shez for me, unfortunately whilst Dowie was with us i worked weekends so i couldnt attend, but saw quite a few that season!

Now i just want to go to everygame, forget working weekends, lets get behind the team whole heartidly and beast the league!

Shez is the :censored:!

shez for me too!!

i think his pre-talbot taster helped him too! he looked at what was going on, cut his teeth somewhat with the rezzies and then took all he learnt into the best team at BP in well over a decade!!!

dowie's team was ok! i think that their fitness won them one or two games really! ok harder league, but i was always worried at BP or away ( did about 16 that season!!) whereas this season i am not worried about any team at all... still think that if we don't go auto, we will take brizzle to the cleaners in the play off final!!!!!!

have mentioned this once or twice (LOL) that i won a days training with the players and had the fortune to be able to sit in on their monday morning meeting!!! now i would not like to be in one when they get beat!!! he ripped into the players big style, but for some reason it seemed to 'perk' them up!!! i know i left - well was carried out of BP thinking i must do better!!!!!

had some bitter blue on my tram today saying how he is to be their next manager too!! so i threw him off for his stupid remarks as it may of scared my passengers!!!!!

i personally am on a high through everything 'latics' pretty much constantly now!! am i mad or am i not the only one!!!

on that note will sign off with the mention of just chatting to ernie in beaverbrooks in the arndale!! nice fella!! reckons the team are buzzing as he speaks to one or two regular...

onwards and upwards eh!!

24 nil! (the vote, so far)

I knew most would vote for Shez, but I thought there might be the odd one who'd back Dowie.

When Dowie left, I didn't think we'd have a manager I'd rate higher so soon. I do rate Dowie very highly as a coach, and I think he'll do very well when the right opportunity comes up, but Shez has been a revelation so far. And long may it continue!

BRIAN TALBOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Nah. Shez by a fair distance. He's installed a side who'll battle for each other, and grind out points like Dowie did. However, the belief and optimism that has transpired from the pitch too the stands is something on par Dowie could have even dreamt about.

The optimism amongst 'tics this season isnt like anything I can remember under Dowie.

I think the squad he's set up, given the resources shez has had. Second to none, and the fact people want to play for him. Gregan said one of the reasons he came was simply, because of Sheridan.

I also think that Dowie had a better backroom staff with regards to his techniques, with the likes of Harbin.

To conclude the decision and make up my mind. It's a simple choice of, what season have I enjoyed more. Dowie's play off, or this.............no contest!

24 nil! (the vote, so far)

I knew most would vote for Shez, but I thought there might be the odd one who'd back Dowie.

When Dowie left, I didn't think we'd have a manager I'd rate higher so soon. I do rate Dowie very highly as a coach, and I think he'll do very well when the right opportunity comes up, but Shez has been a revelation so far. And long may it continue!

suppose he is helped by recent results!!

it would of been interesting to do the vote in the middle of a barren patch! but apart from the beginning of the season there hasn't been one to really pin point!!!

Edited by thetramdriver

Shez for me......i rated Dowie highly, however alot of his success was down to John Harbin IMO.

Spot on Kellys.. When John Harbin arrived the difference was incredible imo, mentally & physically

Was more sad to see Harbin go than Dowie, even though he did a great job for us [whilst everything was peachy]

Shez, just, for me. The Dowie side were excellent in what was a very difficult league (as the stats bear out), the pieeaters, crewe, qpr, bristol and cardiff that season were tough, good teams and it was amazing to have the away record we did. However, the quality of the football being played by the team this year is the best I've seen since big joe. Shez is different class....

Shezzer for me. Signed some class experienced players from the league above on free transfers and has blended them with youth. Has got them playing entertaining football with no fear, solid defence, and top scorers in the league can't complain.

The one thing that did impress me about Dowie, mainly down to his Brother, he brought in players from non-league who turned out to be gems- Hall, Andrews. Don't seem to do that often, especially when you see Peterborough signing players like that McLean who looks class.

Edited by Butter