Film : No Country for Old Men

Matt

Being a huge Coen brothers fan I am absolutely dying to see this so I am going to go this week sometime. Absolutely everything that has been said about it is promising and I'm in no doubt it'll be bloody fantastic.

Well I've heard two kind of reviews of this. One, exceptional, ten out of ten, movie of the year, etc. The other, the same but in a completely negative sense. It seems that people either love it or hate it.

So, I'll go completely against that and be in between a bit.

Firstly, the storyline is as basic as things get (man wants money, so does another man). I guess this is where the negative aspect comes from. Pulp Fiction it ain't.

Next up, Tommy Lee Jones. I'm still not sure whether this annoys or charms the viewer. His part adds what is the normal persons view. A view of sanity amongst all that is happening around him. A man pretty much tired with all the violence around him. Although he presses all the right buttons it is hard to fit it in with the rest of the film.

Stealing the show by a mile though is Javier Bardem, playing a baddy every bit as good as Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet (I can't think why that part sprung to mind...). He is excellent.

I'd certainly go and watch it as you are bound to jump into one category or another, and being honest, it's worth it just to watch Bardem's performance.

The ending is ODD.

I'd give it an 8 overall. Or maybe 7 and a half...

Well I've heard two kind of reviews of this. One, exceptional, ten out of ten, movie of the year, etc. The other, the same but in a completely negative sense. It seems that people either love it or hate it.

So, I'll go completely against that and be in between a bit.

Firstly, the storyline is as basic as things get (man wants money, so does another man). I guess this is where the negative aspect comes from. Pulp Fiction it ain't.

Next up, Tommy Lee Jones. I'm still not sure whether this annoys or charms the viewer. His part adds what is the normal persons view. A view of sanity amongst all that is happening around him. A man pretty much tired with all the violence around him. Although he presses all the right buttons it is hard to fit it in with the rest of the film.

Stealing the show by a mile though is Javier Bardem, playing a baddy every bit as good as Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet (I can't think why that part sprung to mind...). He is excellent.

I'd certainly go and watch it as you are bound to jump into one category or another, and being honest, it's worth it just to watch Bardem's performance.

The ending is ODD.

I'd give it an 8 overall. Or maybe 7 and a half...

SPOILER IN THIS BIT BELOW (WHITE TEXT - SELECT TO READ)

I saw it on Saturday and totally hated it. I disagree about the bad guy. Just before he shoots Woody Harrelson, Harrelson has to say, by way of some really heavy dialogue: "Have you any idea how crazy you are?" Just to make the point that the bad guy is totally crazy. Mad, he is. Bonkers. Loop-the-loop. *Yawn*

I started to read the book on Sunday and that's a load of old poo as well. I might well decide that life is too short to complete it.

Coen Brothers fans: don't watch this film. Buy Fargo on DVD and have a night in.

I think the storyline is often secondary in Coen Brothers films anyway, except perhaps Millers Crossing. It's always been about the characters for me, and their peculiar behaviour and idiosyncracies.

But I've not seen it yet, and Tulse Hill's review is the first bad one out of about 10 that I've read - some by friends and some by media. It's had a big marketing drive, lots of adverts on TV etc. which is strange for their films.

I'm going tonight, so I'll reserve saying anything naturally until I've seen it.

I think the storyline is often secondary in Coen Brothers films anyway, except perhaps Millers Crossing. It's always been about the characters for me, and their peculiar behaviour and idiosyncracies.

But I've not seen it yet, and Tulse Hill's review is the first bad one out of about 10 that I've read - some by friends and some by media. It's had a big marketing drive, lots of adverts on TV etc. which is strange for their films.

I'm going tonight, so I'll reserve saying anything naturally until I've seen it.

You know that the game is up for your favourite movie makers when the hype is more impressive than the film. The good thing about all the other Coen brothers films is that people have generally discovered them for themselves rather than responded to that rattle of a stick in swill bucket.

I know the plot isn't what they're about, but the characters are dreadful too. They are actually just cardboard cut outs. There's the bad guy, who's just bonkers, absolutely crazy, mad as a box of frogs *yawns again* If people didn't go on telling him how mad and bad and dangerous to know he was, you wouldn't know. You'd be completely in the dark

There's the old cop coming to the end of his time, which you know because he goes to visit some randomer in the desert so that they can have a long and not very enlightening talk about it.

There's the good guy who's out of his depth. It's a good job someone comes along every five minutes or so to tell him that he's out of his depth, that he has no idea with whom or what he is dealing, and that the other guy is just completely off the hook and crazy mad downright bonkers *falls asleep*, because otherwise, you wouldn't know.

Oh yeah: another thing... Laying on the accents with a trowel does not a film make.

Oh yeah: another thing... Laying on the accents with a trowel does not a film make.

Like in Fargo you mean?

As I said, I'm seeing it tonight anyway so I'll keep an open mind. Sometimes the simple things make the funniest things, like the "y'know... for kids" in Hudsucker or something.

The Coens do make below par films though; The Ladykillers remake and Intolerable Cruelty for starters. But even they're a lot better than most of the pap that clogs multiplexes up anyway.

Not exactly concrete evidence, but the Oscar nominators seem to agree with one of us about the performance of Javier Bardem...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7202652.stm

I yield to no one in my admiration of the Academy and their fine choices for gongs. I am wrong and they are right. You are also right. I am sorry. No country for old men is actually the best film of all time. <_<