Tony Carss - Latics Legend

In tonight's Chron, there is an article penned by Tony Carss. The footnote reads....

-----------------------------------

I WOULD like to mention Harold Dean, a lifelong Latics fan who passed away on the morning of the third-round victory over Everton.

I attended his funeral and was reminded of the deep passion which genuine football fans have for their team.

Harold, I’m sure that tomorrow you will be looking down on Boundary Park, where I was extremely proud to have played for YOUR team! :cry:

What a guy!! :imnotworthy::applause1::applause1:

Tony Carss is probably my favourite Latics player since I have been watching them, not because of his ability but he always gave a 100% and always dependable, loved his rant against C***s M***e as well.

Makes me sick when somebody who would love to play the game can't and then you have those ponces who are happy to rot in there respective teams reserves and pick up a nice wedge, the game needs more people like Carrs.

Legend.

In tonight's Chron, there is an article penned by Tony Carss. The footnote reads....

I WOULD like to mention Harold Dean, a lifelong Latics fan who passed away on the morning of the third-round victory over Everton.

I attended his funeral and was reminded of the deep passion which genuine football fans have for their team.

Harold, I’m sure that tomorrow you will be looking down on Boundary Park, where I was extremely proud to have played for YOUR team! :cry:

That is quality. Nice one Tony.

I wasn't Carrs' biggest fan as a player, it has to be said. I think people were, at times, blinded by his effort.

But no one can doubt the guy's attitude. They don't come any better than him.

If only we could field eleven players with the same attitude towards the game, the club and the fans...

What a salt of the earth diamond geezer he is whatever he's doing now i wish him all the luck in the world with it.

Rick

Did you know Harold Dean, and if so was he Phil Dean's dad? I used to work with Phil for a long time but haven't seen him in ages. His dad was a big Latics fan called Harry, and a top bloke as well. Whether it is or isn't him it's obviously a sad loss, and brilliant of Carssy to mention him like that.

I wasn't Carrs' biggest fan as a player, it has to be said. I think people were, at times, blinded by his effort.

But no one can doubt the guy's attitude. They don't come any better than him.

If only we could field eleven players with the same attitude towards the game, the club and the fans...

Think this and OAFC 2002 response sums up Carrsy in a nutshell.

Personally, I liked him, and thinking about it its probably because of his efforts rather than his actual abilities that made such an impresson on me. Ernie Cooksey was similar, plenty of guts but a poor professional footballer.

The other side of the Tony Carrs coin is a player who left us last season, Chris Hall. Basically someone who couldn't give a toss about the fact he was privelleged enough to have made it to the professional game and then decided he didn't want to put any effort into being a footballer.

A team of 11 Tony Carrs might not win cups or promotion but at least they would be determined in their actions which would be appreciated by the fans!

Rick

Did you know Harold Dean, and if so was he Phil Dean's dad? I used to work with Phil for a long time but haven't seen him in ages. His dad was a big Latics fan called Harry, and a top bloke as well. Whether it is or isn't him it's obviously a sad loss, and brilliant of Carssy to mention him like that.

No, Steve_R, I didn't know Harold or Phil Dean.

I just thought that Carss' article differs from anything else I have read as he talks about him being privileged to play for our (or more accurately Harold's) club.

Let's hope we can get our name in that hat on Monday - if only for Harold.

No, Steve_R, I didn't know Harold or Phil Dean.

I just thought that Carss' article differs from anything else I have read as he talks about him being privileged to play for our (or more accurately Harold's) club.

Let's hope we can get our name in that hat on Monday - if only for Harold.

Steve,

Yes it was Phil Deans Dad, Phil is busy as Secretary of both Royton Town Football and Roytonians Cricket Club, I will pass on your regards.

Harold was a true supporter of local sport,Latics,Royton Cricket and even the Rugby at one time.I believe they wore black arm bands at a recent Curzon Ashton game where Phils Daughter Kelly plays (former Latics Ladies team).

Think this and OAFC 2002 response sums up Carrsy in a nutshell.

Personally, I liked him, and thinking about it its probably because of his efforts rather than his actual abilities that made such an impresson on me. Ernie Cooksey was similar, plenty of guts but a poor professional footballer.

The other side of the Tony Carrs coin is a player who left us last season, Chris Hall. Basically someone who couldn't give a toss about the fact he was privelleged enough to have made it to the professional game and then decided he didn't want to put any effort into being a footballer.

A team of 11 Tony Carrs might not win cups or promotion but at least they would be determined in their actions which would be appreciated by the fans!

I went down to the pre season training session at the Lancaster Club to get the missing signatures from my '28 Eyres play-off shirt' (wedding pressie from the wife) about 2 days before Carssy left, and spoke to a few of the lads. TC came walking up and I said to him, "don't sign for (whoever it was reported he was talking to) Tony and he could hardly bring himself to look up from the ground. He looked absolutley gutted - like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. I think his blistering rant at C**** M**** came a couple of days later.

Top man TC, and spot on OAFC2002 about needing more of his ilk fighting for us at the minute!