End of season ins and outs

Lookers_Carl

72 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think shez should do at the end of the season with the current playing squad

• Clear out - too many players underperforming this season
    • Bring in a few new players with one or two heading the other way
    • Add to what we have already.

This is just my opinion, some people will agree some will disagree so please dont shoot me down. I would go for a complete clearout. As much as I rate shez, yesterday he got it wrong and I think he thinks some players are better than what they are. We have been in this division for over 10 years now and although we have not got the biggest wage budget in the division, I would bet we probably have the biggest wage bill in the division behind swansea, doncaster, leeds, forest, and maybe hudd and millwall.

When you look at the teams who have been promoted in recent seasons, Scunthorpe, Southend and Colchester to name a few all achieved automatic promotion and were nowhere near the highest wage payers in the div (I'm sure at the time colchester were the lowest). In football theres no room for sentiment so here is what I would do at end of season.

Crossley - Keep as no2 and GK coach

Pogs - Release, although doubt he would sign if we did offer him another deal

Eardley - sell if reasonable offer comes in

Lomax - Keep, whenever he has played I really dont think he has done much wrong

Trotman - keep at all costs

Gregan - Keep

Stam - release, too many concentration lapses for my liking including yesterdays goal

Thompson - Unless he does something magic before end of season transfer list. I dont dislike him but the move clearly has not worked out for both player and club.

Hazel - Keep but FFS DONT PLAY HIM AS A LEFT BACK, he is a centre half and a good one at that!!!

Gary Mac - Thanks for everton, and cant fault his attitude, but goes missing way too much. We need consistency. Release

Kalala - Good when he does what he does best which is get stuck in, wins balls and harasses the other team. Keep.

Liddell - Release. Good player but I dont think we can rely on his fitness and I would imagine he is one of the higher paid players.

Allott - Keep and make captain!!!

Taylor - Keep unless we get an offer we cant refuse, but play the lad on the right please!!!!!

Davies - Keep but should not be guaranteed first team footy

Hughes - bit of a no brainer, keep

Wolfy - Loan out or release

Smalley - Loan out

Allesandra - I think this lad deserves his chance

For my two cents, a pretty good sum up of the seniors there - I think the key here is to keep as many players as possible and add to the squad. Consistency is paramount. We need attacking options from midfield - Kalala - Mac - Allott - all holding midfielders really. With Allott and JPK in the centre we sit too far back, and the midfield goes "missing". It's not the players fault, there's just no options moving forward...

Rubes looked uneasy at LB didn't he. When we get players to fill the gaps, the Rubens and the Taylors of the team can get motoring again in their choice locations.

Keep:

Trotman

Stam

Hughes

Allott

Sell:

Eardley

Taylor

Loan out:

Wolfy

Allesandra

Smalley

Release:

McDonald

Kalala

Thompson

Gregan

Liddell (although I wish we had Liddell yesterday)

Unsure:

Davies

Hazell

Pogs

Crossley

Lomax

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

I think that squad - with kids a year older and wiser would be good - IF it can get 3/4 additions to it. The problem we have is if players are injured / suspended/ out of form, there is no back up. Can we afford to add 3/4 to that squad without letting people go? I dont it, so we'd be left with the same.

Edited by pukka

allott was one of the few yesterday who didnt do much wrong. Holding midfielder maybe but you cant fault his effort even when we go a goal down, he knows how to pass the ball and he doesnt often give it away.

Re the left back position, we have given black a three year deal, chances are now we wont make the playoffs, so why not give him a go???

No point at all in giving him a three year deal if we are not going to play him

I think that squad - with kids a year older and wiser would be good - IF it can get 3/4 additions to it. The problem we have is if players are injured / suspended/ out of form, there is no back up. Can we afford to add 3/4 to that squad without letting people go? I dont it, so we'd be left with the same.

Good - yes

Promotion material - probably not

There is no reason why next season we cant go all out for automatic. Balls to the playoffs. If colchester, southend and scunny can all do it on a limited budget whilst competing against the likes of swansea, forest and doncaster who have all spent big over the past few seasons, then no reason why we cant.

Good - yes

Promotion material - probably not

There is no reason why next season we cant go all out for automatic. Balls to the playoffs. If colchester, southend and scunny can all do it on a limited budget whilst competing against the likes of swansea, forest and doncaster who have all spent big over the past few seasons, then no reason why we cant.

Colchester, southend and scunny all did it by not having overhauls every year and building - making one or two additions granted, but not having clearout after clearout. Ronnie had a clearout, shez brought in a load last year, this season too. How many more? But I totally agree we need players added.

Edited by pukka

allott was one of the few yesterday who didnt do much wrong. Holding midfielder maybe but you cant fault his effort even when we go a goal down, he knows how to pass the ball and he doesnt often give it away.

Re the left back position, we have given black a three year deal, chances are now we wont make the playoffs, so why not give him a go???

Allott was my MOM yesterday - a shining light - now, you wouldn't have heard me say that during his first stint here. Just goes to show what can happen to a player if they're given time.

Allott was my MOM yesterday - a shining light - now, you wouldn't have heard me say that during his first stint here. Just goes to show what can happen to a player if they're given time.

Allott has been our most consistant performer this year. Hughes will win Player of the season, but I'd give that honour to Allott so far.

Slightly off topic... but this is exactly what i would like to see happen now.... lets give the kids a shot... with my hand on my very positive heart we still have a remote shot of the playoffs, and we aint going down... irrespective of who we play, there are too many bad teams in this division.... so lets stop worrying about bringing in some journeymen from another club, or some greedy league youth players and lets give our lads a shot - before we decide who is ready for next season... would love to see Black, Smalley, Allesandra, and even this young kid Kilcourse given regular action for the rest of the season... what the hell have we got to lose... one person I wouldnt play however is Wolfy, I still have not seen anything in the lad to prove he is going to be a regular for this club...

Lets be honest... we are now not a big draw for any player for the rest of the season... so what the point in spending the cash... use the rest of the season to get Hughesy fully fit and firing, to try and find where davies put his form... and blood some young blod....

On the note for next season... I would like to see consistency, but I just fele there well be an almost innevitable clear-out.... Gregan and Lids careers are pretty much done.... Eards and Trots I feel will go.... I dont think both macca and JP will stay... and with our bare bones squad that means we will need a whole host of new players.... added to by Black and Allesandra being fully fledged first teamers.....

Get the kids ready so we can have more depth....

Erm.... half way through the season and we're already letting half the squad know we would like to be rid of them. Way to go Guys!!!!!!!

I dont understand how people can even consider letting Davies go.....just turn your minds back to pre season and the first few games of the season he was a world beater and everyone was jizzing themselves over the prospect we had playing for us at 21 years old....his confidence was sky high and so were his performances....

Now he has hit a lack of form so what do we say....get rid, not good enough blah blah blah.......think of his prospect in the long run...in a good team davies will shine i promise you that.....if we let davies go because he isnt up to standard NOW, i am 100% certain it will come back to bite us in the ass alla jermaine johnson. He has the talent within him so lets turn our attentions to getting that out of him rather than booting him out....

Edited by Blue_Guru

Keep:

Trotman

Stam

Hughes

Allott

Sell:

Eardley

Taylor

Loan out:

Wolfy

Allesandra

Smalley

Release:

McDonald

Kalala

Thompson

Gregan

Liddell (although I wish we had Liddell yesterday)

Unsure:

Davies

Hazell

Pogs

Crossley

Lomax

That's okay but you're talking about getting shut of about 10 players for 1 reason or another, we're already a couple short without Bertrand and Kilkenny thats 12.

That amounts to wholesale changes yet again in a close season. You would be virtually starting again plus there are 5 your not sure about!!!!!

To keep changing the players like that does nothing for the club or the fans. We have the nucleus of a good side so we need to get 2 or 3 out and maybe sign 4 or 5 but please no more!!!!

like Pukka format:

keep

Crossley

lomax

hazell

trotman

JP

Allott(yes ffor those thatknow me - i said it was a c**p signing and for the first dozengames he was, but the last dozen he has a been the consistency)

Hughes

Sell

eardley

taylor

davies

Release

Gregan

liddell(although still the best crosser of the ball we got)

thompson

loan

smalley

allessandra

black

unsure

pogs

stam

macca

wolfy

Carl, you didn't give the option of 'should Sheridan go?' Not surprising. Now, every time someone brings up this topic it seems that everyone else (at least on this site) jump down their throats. There are, however, serious reservations. The last twelve months have not been very good. Most of the football is dreadful. Many of the decisions are poor. Gregan's arrival caused splits in the dressing room. Many of the signings are sub-standard. He has failed to keep his best players and failed to attract suitable replacements. Why? It can't be ALL about money. One good spell last season and that's it. I've heard from a numer of people that heis nothing more than a glorified bully when taking training sessions. Some think he is a really good, romising young coach who shuld be given time. I don't see it. I see someone who has the personality of a flea. I think it's time we seriously questioned his future as a manager.

Carl, you didn't give the option of 'should Sheridan go?' Not surprising. Now, every time someone brings up this topic it seems that everyone else (at least on this site) jump down their throats. There are, however, serious reservations. The last twelve months have not been very good. Most of the football is dreadful. Many of the decisions are poor. Gregan's arrival caused splits in the dressing room. Many of the signings are sub-standard. He has failed to keep his best players and failed to attract suitable replacements. Why? It can't be ALL about money. One good spell last season and that's it. I've heard from a numer of people that heis nothing more than a glorified bully when taking training sessions. Some think he is a really good, romising young coach who shuld be given time. I don't see it. I see someone who has the personality of a flea. I think it's time we seriously questioned his future as a manager.

Don't forget the fact that he and his minion TW spend the whole 90 minutes of the game berating and slagging off their own players who are out there on the pitch. They also managed to leave a young player sat stripped and ready to go for 20 minutes of the game. Inept if you ask me.

I don't like slamming Shez, but I am questioning his tactical ability.

I'm not one for calling for a manager who is simply under performing, it's just that we're coming close a full year since we last looked like a proposition for promotion. We've let players go and not replace them adequately. I'm not calling for Shez' head but I don't think he's great manager. Besides if we got rid of him now who would we bring in? There's only two manager's available who I'd be happy with;

Here.

and

Here.

Oh and this guy of course, but he'd never take the job. :lol:

I wish I could say that Shez is a good manager under performing but I just don't think he's a smart guy.

Sheridans contract is up next season. I think barring any major disasters given the service he has given the club, should be given untill then at the very least to turn it round.

Hiring and firing managers doesnt work, ask newcastle.

Also, how long was it before royle brought any form of success to the club? A hell of alot longer than two seasons put it that way. And shez is only just half way through his second season

I don't like slamming Shez, but I am questioning his tactical ability.

I'm not one for calling for a manager who is simply under performing, it's just that we're coming close a full year since we last looked like a proposition for promotion. We've let players go and not replace them adequately. I'm not calling for Shez' head but I don't think he's great manager. Besides if we got rid of him now who would we bring in? There's only two manager's available who I'd be happy with;

Here.

and

Here.

Oh and this guy of course, but he'd never take the job. :lol:

I wish I could say that Shez is a good manager under performing but I just don't think he's a smart guy.

I agree on all counts.

1. Bring back Royle

2. Sheridan is not a smart guy (polite for he's thick). i would add that i don't especially want to start a 'Sheridan out campaign.' Not helpful. But i look at it like this. Royle, Dowie and even Richie were personalities, articulate and reasonably intelligent. I don't get this from Sheridan. He's like the Ronnie Moore school of charisma, though he does at least try to play football.

3. bring back pukka pies.

Sheridans contract is up next season. I think barring any major disasters given the service he has given the club, should be given untill then at the very least to turn it round.

Hiring and firing managers doesnt work, ask newcastle.

Also, how long was it before royle brought any form of success to the club? A hell of alot longer than two seasons put it that way. And shez is only just half way through his second season

No, hiring and firing never works. We had two managers in a 20+ year period, which was also the most successful period in the club's history. However, I just don't see it with Sheridan. What are his plus points? All I see at the moment is big gob. However long it took Royle (higher division, greater competition), it was rarely dull. I remember a League cup tie against Bolton. Low gate, lost 4-3, but what a game. I don't mind waiting for success, but i don't like being bored to death. I'll give him until the end of the season, but after 12 poor months i need to see some spark suggesting what the future might hold.

We were the entertainers b4 Keegan and all that. the core of our fans , were brought up on attractive footy, with wingers, what ever you score, we'll score more. so thats what we seen to expect at oldham. we don't still think we belong in the premier league, but we do expect commitment and entertainment from the players when we come to watch latics at boundary park.