Anybody else Bored of Home games?

I dont know why but Ive left early more times this season and before Ive never left early.The football is absolutely boring and even when Latics score I dont get "the feeling" of what I used to do. It may be me growing up and realising that we are never destined for glory and that we will continue to dream but I constantly walk away from BP thinking what a waste of an afternoon and nowhere near worth the money I pay. Its different away I love every away match I go to because the crowd are going and we tend to play more attractive football. I dunno why but the players just look like they cant be arsed at home. Look at davies runs his socks off and terrorises Hudds defence away but at home he was a lazy sod who looked like he couldnt be arsed. Something has to be done because Im growing tired of our only hope of changing a game and winning it is Matty Wolfenden (a player who would barely make it intoo my monday night 6 a side team). Also I sit in the Paddock near the away fans and if anyone tries to sing and get behind the team they are told to sit down because of what? It isnt health & safety cos anyone anywhere in the ground can stand and sing. By telling fans to sit down it only causes more grief and angers the particular section. I dont blame the "bandwagon" men because unless something is done in terms of investing in the team then I will soon become one of them. Its alright saying were skint but Brighton have forked out a fortune and theyre no better off thats also not including all the money the owners will make off developing the site around BP, its pathetic that we cant "afford" anybody because they must be sitting on a nice few mill from the development.

I didn't get a season ticket this year. For the first time since 1989/90. My dad didn't get one and home games dont seem the same. I am still going to games, but take tuesday for example. Why should I spend £25-£30 inc bus fare and I'll have to get a taxi from Rochdale so I'm back home before 11.30 on a cold, probably wet Tuesday night to watch what I am watching at BP?

Someone convince me - cos at the moment, I can't be bothered going. If it was away, I'd go, but I am finding it hard to justify the outlay.

I didn't get a season ticket this year. For the first time since 1989/90. My dad didn't get one and home games dont seem the same. I am still going to games, but take tuesday for example. Why should I spend £25-£30 inc bus fare and I'll have to get a taxi from Rochdale so I'm back home before 11.30 on a cold, probably wet Tuesday night to watch what I am watching at BP?

Someone convince me - cos at the moment, I can't be bothered going. If it was away, I'd go, but I am finding it hard to justify the outlay.

No need to convince you of anything as you know full well you will be there.

I dont know why but Ive left early more times this season and before Ive never left early.The football is absolutely boring and even when Latics score I dont get "the feeling" of what I used to do. It may be me growing up and realising that we are never destined for glory and that we will continue to dream but I constantly walk away from BP thinking what a waste of an afternoon and nowhere near worth the money I pay. Its different away I love every away match I go to because the crowd are going and we tend to play more attractive football. I dunno why but the players just look like they cant be arsed at home. Look at davies runs his socks off and terrorises Hudds defence away but at home he was a lazy sod who looked like he couldnt be arsed. Something has to be done because Im growing tired of our only hope of changing a game and winning it is Matty Wolfenden (a player who would barely make it intoo my monday night 6 a side team). Also I sit in the Paddock near the away fans and if anyone tries to sing and get behind the team they are told to sit down because of what? It isnt health & safety cos anyone anywhere in the ground can stand and sing. By telling fans to sit down it only causes more grief and angers the particular section. I dont blame the "bandwagon" men because unless something is done in terms of investing in the team then I will soon become one of them. Its alright saying were skint but Brighton have forked out a fortune and theyre no better off thats also not including all the money the owners will make off developing the site around BP, its pathetic that we cant "afford" anybody because they must be sitting on a nice few mill from the development.

I agree that home games are boring but I dont think the football is, I think its the fans. Fans like you. Your obviously stuck in the past and you probably just sit there expecting us to win... which is why we dont. We've got a very young squad this season and the expectations of people are breaking them. You really need to shut up about the players not being arsed at home. The players are only people and they will respond when fans get behind them, which explains our excellent away record. Craig Davies is one of our best players and hes very gifted also. Just shut up about players not caring FFS!!! You probably like players like Paul Warne who "have the heart" as you would say... but in reality are very average and never achieve anything. Just dont come to home games if your going to say things like this FFS!!!

iv found the home games iv been going to very boring, its a bit of a downer when my dad drives from london to yorkshire to pick me up and then to oldham to watch a pretty crap gamewhn iv been to hudders away and everton away and we seem to be a diffrent side, i wonder if there is an increace of latics fans going to away games and a decreases of latics going to home games??

I agree that home games are boring but I dont think the football is, I think its the fans. Fans like you. Your obviously stuck in the past and you probably just sit there expecting us to win... which is why we dont. We've got a very young squad this season and the expectations of people are breaking them. You really need to shut up about the players not being arsed at home. The players are only people and they will respond when fans get behind them, which explains our excellent away record. Craig Davies is one of our best players and hes very gifted also. Just shut up about players not caring FFS!!! You probably like players like Paul Warne who "have the heart" as you would say... but in reality are very average and never achieve anything. Just dont come to home games if your going to say things like this FFS!!!

Hang on a minute what do you mean expectations of some people ? I would imagine the vast majority of Latics fans who only attend homes games are pig sick of playing below par football and we are nearly into February. I have been going to Bp long before we ever got near the pinch me days and I have no expectation of us repeating those days in the near future or indeed the future full stop, but I do expect a team that played well last year to not nosedive the season after and get beat by average teams like Hudders yesterday.

Drphibes

ps The fans got behind the team in the second half yesterday and what was the end result ? a little bit of huff and puff and then back to looking lost.

You really need to get to your anger management classes more often. Just because someones opinion differs from your is no excuse for your post. This forum exists so that people can express their views objectively. I would recommend another site to you but can't be bothered. People... we need to challenge opinions such as this or debate is dead... Socrates!!!

You really need to get to your anger management classes more often. Just because someones opinion differs from your is no excuse for your post. This forum exists so that people can express their views objectively. I would recommend another site to you but can't be bothered. People... we need to challenge opinions such as this or debate is dead... Socrates!!!

Why??? Do you like to moan??

Why should I spend £25-£30 inc bus fare and I'll have to get a taxi from Rochdale so I'm back home before 11.30 on a cold, probably wet Tuesday night to watch what I am watching at BP?

Simple....why should TTA have bothered forking out in 2003, still doing so, forking out on plane fares to and fro-ing across the Atlantic, battling endlessly with a public who doesn't care, with councillors stuck in the 1960's etc?

People will say for the money. True. But they could've just invested in something else if they wanted to. Time and effort and money is the 3 things they're investing and so be it if they earn a few extra million....we live in the hope that we'll benefit too from a new stadium, better players and success. It's taking a while....but there (for me) are the reasons.....do it for them.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Sorry Scotty but if we are (a) not winning and (B) not scoring, how is it actually that exciting. Personally I think like many latics fans who love Davies that you get bamboosled by his flashy attributes. Look at Huddersfields 2 strikers and how they chased down every ball. Why did Davies not do the same. Shez has no plan b, it looks like were not going to get anyone in in the transfer market. Its just not exciting.

Why have we got no fans - its because its not exciting.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Its alright saying were skint but Brighton have forked out a fortune and theyre no better off thats also not including all the money the owners will make off developing the site around BP, its pathetic that we cant "afford" anybody because they must be sitting on a nice few mill from the development.

Every time this presumption is posted I post this email I received from Alan Hardy on the subject of profit from the redevelopment of BP:

"So far it has cost the owners about £11m to keep the club going and to buy back the land.

Obviously they would like to get some of that back if there was anything left over when we had finished redeveloping the stadium, but the stadium would be the priority.

At present it looks like the revenue form the sale of the residential land would only cover the cost of the redevelopment so it is unlikely that there will be anything left for them to take a 'profit'.

Alan"

TTA would be entitled to a profit from their investment, but Simon Corney told the Planning Committee that it is not about profit - it is about giving the town a legacy to be proud of. I know it takes some swallowing because it defies all logic - it just shows how lucky we are to have found three businessmen who think along these lines.

Patience and Faith are called for!

To be honest I have started feeling the same about home games, not getting the same feeling when we score and generally just sitting there watching the minutes tick by. Yesterday however was a breathe of fresh air for me. Sitting in the Chaddy (not even on the 'singers side') instead of in the Library I mean Moaners sorry I meant Lookers Upper, made such a difference to the experience. I was able to stand and sing whenever I wanted without some one moron telling me to be quiet or sit down. The game was pretty average yet again with nothing really to shout about, but when you can get an atmosphere going and have a good sing it can change the whole complexion of the game. I'm going to be seeing if the club can let me move my ST to the Chaddy because I have had enough of the Lookers Upper. If not I will move down the stand towards the away fans where it seems more of the away regulars sit.

I think it was a cold Tuesday night in March 1995, sat in a half empty Rochdale Road end, rain lashing down, wind in your face etc. A Division One match against Notts County. My daughter turned to me and said "Dad, why are we sat here watching this rubbish?"

"Because we are Latics fans" I replied.

"Oh yeah", she replied and that that.

13 years on, and the same principles still apply. You live in the hope that the performance you've been waiting for is going to happen today.

I can't make the games because of my health and distance from the ground, I was green with envy when the sell-out crowd was announced for the game against Huddersfield. I was sure we were going to give them a trouncing.

We didn't, but I still wish I'd been there.

After more than thirty years, I feel similar. The last flirtation with relegation in the Talbot/Moore season was when it started to feel different to me-a rolleroaster of a season, a pulling away from danger, and then the team plunge themselves right into the mire again: an absolute joke of a season really, when you weigh it up. We now have the incredible situation at clubs like ours where we rely on players that could be equally at home in the lower reaches of the division above-or the one below. I think you hit the nail on the head when you refer to our not being destined for glory. Ten seasons and counting in this division says it all-and the hardcore fans, if internet boards are anything to go by, have by and large settled for this status, hence the intolerance displayed at the mildest criticism of the team (who, like 90% of footballers, do not care about our opinion one way or another-let's not fool ourselves), the futile hunt for scapegoats-the ridiculous argument about 'moaning fans' etc-the endless excuses as to why we are, yet again, failing to achieve, and the theories as to why next season, or the one after, or the one after that will be the one.

While our decline did coincide with changes in the game which disadvantaged clubs of our size, other clubs, historically smaller than Latics, or of a similar size, do manage to get into higher divisons, some of them managing to thrive, but there is little concrete evidence that there is any serious will to do this at Boundary Park. That said, the game has been rendered largely meaningless by money. Nobody but one of the so-called 'big four' will win the FA Cup this season, for example, while it is highly likely that no club but one of them will ever win the Premier League again. Few clubs any longer are expected to actually make it into the top flight-hence the yo-yo sitaution at the bottom of the Premier. Perhaps this has affected the mentality of both fans of clubs and the players/management/owners: so we get promotion-it will probably cost a fortune just to not go down again (so they reason); why, in that case, bother? Better to win a few and lose a few in a division best suited to our abilities.

Edited by Corporal_Jones