Trotman Going - We Really Are A Joke!

ARGYLE CLOSE IN ON NEW DEFENDER

Argyle are closing in on the signing of Oldham Athletic's up-and-coming defender Neal Trotman.

The League One club are ready to sell the 20-year-old centre-back after being knocked out of the FA Cup on Saturday, when they lost 1-0 at home to Huddersfield Town.

Oldham had been keen to hold onto Trotman while they remained in the competition.

But they are now set to accept Argyle's offer of £350,000 for the Manchester-born defender, which could increase to £500,000 based on appearances.

Trotman had made only two substitute appearances for Oldham before this season.

This term, however, the former Burnley apprentice has played 22 times, including 20 starts, and scored one goal.

Trotman is a powerful 6ft 2in centre-back who has made tremendous strides for the Latics this season.

Argyle manager Paul Sturrock wants to increase his defensive options before the January transfer window closes at midnight on Thursday.

The Pilgrims have also been linked with a £400,000 move for Sheffield United defender Leigh Bromby.

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNod...;pNodeId=135637

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we are a joke as we look to be selling our best players as usual! If we want to do anything in terms of future promotion we need to keep our best players and invest in others!

we've not even offerd the guy a new contract, we cant get players in with a bit of money to spend so god help us if we get money! shez said on gmr on sat that he was after players but wouldnt pay them what they wanted - well john, if you dont do that then you end up with what we have now - NO ONE!!

Quite frankly after the Porter debacle the clever betting would indeed be on taking the money, however this situation is entirely different. Trotman couldn't go for nothing unlike Porter. If the club off load Trotman for that amount of money, I believe it really would tip a good number of loyal hardcore fans over the edge and I seriously fear attendence levels.

I have to say I have no problem with selling him.... but for what he is worth. £350k is an absolute joke.... think if this is true and not just paper talk, then Shez will need to get his tin-hat on for the coming weeks...

£350k for trotman - that is abysmal. I would hope at leat it may include Fallon going the other way... on top of that fee....

We were never going to get more than that for a player with less than 6 months on his contract and nowhere near that after a tribunal.

If it means we can bring in a decent stiker and midfielder I'm all for it since we have Rubes to cover, if no-ones brought in then it's very worrying.

Quite frankly after the Porter debacle the clever betting would indeed be on taking the money, however this situation is entirely different. Trotman couldn't go for nothing unlike Porter. If the club off load Trotman for that amount of money, I believe it really would tip a good number of loyal hardcore fans over the edge and I seriously fear attendence levels.

Sell him or not, we are unlikely to top 5,000 at home again this season. In fact the only way we could possibly do it would be if the traditional last-day-of-the-season relegation decider was at home, but it isn't.

I agree get rid of him... I love this league and like the club have no ambition to get out of it whats the point when you can grow talent sell the players make the $$ have a cup run everynow and then, build a development make even more dollars makes total business sense. After all that is what we are!! Aint it??

I have to say I have no problem with selling him.... but for what he is worth. £350k is an absolute joke.... think if this is true and not just paper talk, then Shez will need to get his tin-hat on for the coming weeks...

£350k for trotman - that is abysmal. I would hope at leat it may include Fallon going the other way... on top of that fee....

The one player in our squad that I really didn't want to see leave.

Great stuff.

Sadly the fact that Trotmans nearly out of contract, means the fee will be rather low

Quite frankly after the Porter debacle the clever betting would indeed be on taking the money, however this situation is entirely different. Trotman couldn't go for nothing unlike Porter.

Is it? i thought it was exactly the same. If he signs for Plymouth we agree a fee or go to tribunal but if he signs for a club from another national league we get nowt. That was my understanding, have I missed something?

One more thing just because that Plymouth site says it's going to happen doesn't mean it will. It has been wrong before (just put the kiss of death on that now - he'll be in green and white by lunch tomorrow!

As I've said before, he's been grossly overrated by some fans, he's a good prospect but so was Will Haining and Danny Hall (remember when we were convinced he was moving to Everton) and they both left the club with a wimper, £500k (whichever way you want to dress it up) is a good deal when you compare it to other deals in this window.

Is it summat to do with the size of the fee?

we'll always be a selling club but that fee is giving away the family silverware....

I can see both sides of the argument TBH. I would like to see him stay.

My only concern is if we pick up another injury to Hazell and Stam before Gregan is back (if he back at all) we are screwed.

Selling good assets like Trotman cheaply and probably replacing them with journey men will lead to nowhere only a downward spiral and disillusionment.

Denis Irwin was a prime example of a family jewel sold the the cheap, Trotman could be another.

Don't do it.

Is it? i thought it was exactly the same. If he signs for Plymouth we agree a fee or go to tribunal but if he signs for a club from another national league we get nowt. That was my understanding, have I missed something?

One more thing just because that Plymouth site says it's going to happen doesn't mean it will. It has been wrong before (just put the kiss of death on that now - he'll be in green and white by lunch tomorrow!

Because Porter was over the age of 23 we got nothing for his move north, if he was under23 we would have got a fee.

If TTA want to sell Trotters then that's their prerogative, to be honest they were screwed over in the summer and they will have to recoup the money somehow.

What does grate is that if they knew that if we were to lose in the Cup then he would be off, why didn't they tie him to a new deal beforehand? It would have bumped up his value now and in the summer we wouldn't have faced a Porter scenario. I'm sure Trotters could have been persuaded to sign a deal as payback to the club...who resurrected his career after Burnley turfed (no pun intended) him out. In the same way as Matt Lockwood signed a deal at Orient a week before his move to Forest in the summer.

Anyway, if he is off then good luck to the lad...he's a cracking proposition who if he continues to progress at the rate he is doing will be a Premier League player in the next few years.

EDIT: By 'Porter scenario' I mean the tribunal when he joined us rather than going for nothing.

Edited by jsslatic

unbudgeted for cup run must have brought in £400k(ish)??

Wasn't the Argyle offer for Ports 750k in January? If so then that would have been the approximate fee we would have demanded at a tribunal (whether we would have got it or not is a different issue, though it's what TTA's valuation would have been).