Trotman Going - We Really Are A Joke!

Trotman as another 18 mths on his contract with Latics...

When we offered him a contract last Season we put in a clause like we did with Poggy that if he played a certain number of first team games a second year would be activated.. Trots as passed these number of games.. so He's now got an extra 12 mths on his contract ..

IMO £350,000 is too cheap for an intial fee considering what a good player he could be .. BUT its a risk for Plymouth considering how many games he's played

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!!!!

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trotman as another 18 mths on his contract with Latics...

When we offered him a contract last Season we put in a clause like we did with Poggy that if he played a certain number of first team games a second year would be activated.. Trots as passed these number of games.. so He's now got an extra 12 mths on his contract ..

IMO £350,000 is too cheap for an intial fee considering what a good player he could be .. BUT its a risk for Plymouth considering how many games he's played

if that is correct then thats fantastic news

350k is cheap. If and it's a massive if he were to ever leave for that I would expect a huge sell on clause in the deal.

He has all the attributes to play at Premiership level in a few seasons. Tall, strong, quick, a threat at set pieces, seems to have a brain too. Of course he has weaknesses but with more games he'll improve on them.

From official archive

TROTMAN OPTION EXERCISED

Posted on: Wed 13 Jun 2007

Neal Trotman has re-signed for Latics after the club exercised an option in his contract.

With manager John Sheridan now back from his family holiday, Trotman is the first contract renewal of the summer and will now take his place in the squad for the 2007/08 season.

Athletic had an option to renew for a further year written into the defender's terms, and they have now taken that option to tie him to the club until summer 2008.

Has this changed?

IC - you don't need to point out the obvious about this do you? No-one has been sold who we didn't want to keep - but nevertheless players have been sold (Spencer, Philliskirk etc) and to use your words Trotters might fall into the category of players TTA don't want to keep - mainly because of a big fat juicy fee.

Several players who we did want to keep - Wellens, Porter, Beckett, Clarke haven't been kept or captured. TTA did everything possible within their budget to keep them.

That's why we'll be a selling club - because we can't afford to capture and keep the players we need to get out of this division.

OP - It's the phrase "Latics have always been a selling Club" that gets me when I maintain that bar a couple of kids, nobody has been sold to cash in on their transfer value under the TTA regime.

Maybe we have different definitions of what is or isn't a "Selling Club" so here is my understanding. We need to cast our minds back to the pre-Moore days to really know what being a selling Club means. In those days, we regularly sold to balance the books. Under TTA, we simply rely on them to keep bunging in £15k per week of their own cash in order to "break even". JWL or Stott wouldn't have done that, they just sold an Irwin; Warhurst; Barrett; Milligan; Fleming or Serrant to pay the bills.

There is a massive difference there and why I get a little bemused when I read that Latics are still a Selling Club.

Yes every player has his price (even Micah Richards and Ronaldo) and some will go but it remains a fact that in the last few years, we have seen much more investment (transfer fees paid, significant wages paid) than revenue raised from Sale of players.

Based on our income, we punch well above our weight. We should be a Selling Club - but there is little evidence of that over recent years.

As for Trotman, you seem to think that TTA are keen to sell to cash in on his value. Like I say, this will be a total about turn in their normal policy but after the Porter situation, they did say they would reconsider if offers were received.

Regarding Beckett, we could have paid a reported £6k a week for Luke (plus transfer fee to Sheff Utd) but Shez didn't want him as it would have screwed his budget. We couldn't compete with Motherwell because of the signing on bonus that Porter received and while Doncaster did offer higher wages (reportedly massive signing fee plus an extra £155k in wages over the term of his contract), Wellens did also leave as he thought he had a better chance of promotion with them.

As for Clarke, there seem to be some real shenanigans going on here. One minute he's signing for Southend and the next he is being told that the Wendies want to keep him - no they want to sell - and then he's back in the Team and doing well. I liked him last time but if he's on £7k a week, then I'd be gutted if we ended up paying him that (plus a transfer fee) to sign for us. We simply cannot afford it and committing to a deal like that would concern me far more than making a few quid selling someone like Trotman.

I am happy my club is run like that, without harping back to it we nearly lost this club once, I don't want to go through that again. If it means another 3-4 seasons playing 6-toed teams from nowheresville before promotion then so be it. We don't have a god given right to be in the Championship, we are in this league as we had a few bad seasons, played badly, got relegated and deserve to be where we are.

And as lomg as we don't keep our better players that is where we will stay. Either that or be relegated yet again.

Exactly where are the players who are going to form this promotion winning side in 3-4 seasons (what joy!) going to come from if we are forever to be 'a selling club'?

So the rarely read Plymouth Evening Herald says:

"The League One club are ready to sell the 20-year-old centre-back after being knocked out of the FA Cup on Saturday, when they lost 1-0 at home to Huddersfield Town.

Oldham had been keen to hold onto Trotman while they remained in the competition."

If we analyse those words, the only conclusion is that if we had still been in the FA Cup (replay or fifth round) we would not sell Trotman. Then the transfer window woud have closed and he would be going nowhere until at the earliest the end of the season. It doesn't make sense that we would be willing to sell at a low price just because we're out of the Cup, having already had an unexpected bonus from winning at Everton.

I reckon a reporter has drawn his/her own conclusion and come up with this story on Sunday or first thing this morning. If it was true Plymouth would be mad that the story had alerted other clubs. It keeps the Argyle fans happy that their club appears to be trying to do good deals. It also causes turmoil amongst our fans testing their faith to the limit!

And as lomg as we don't keep our better players that is where we will stay. Either that or be relegated yet again.

Exactly where are the players who are going to form this promotion winning side in 3-4 seasons (what joy!) going to come from if we are forever to be 'a selling club'?

Who have we sold then Corp?

£350,000 for someone's first season in the first team in the third tier of English football - not too bad. We have ample cover in defence and the money could be used to fund a left sided midfielder and an attacker. If we don't get a striker in soon, could be curtains to going up and may lead to going down. I hate to lose ANY player - I love em all but really think he would go in the summer anyway and the longer we continue without the above positions the worse it is gonna get. Don't know how everyone thinks players in our division are worth £1m - especially ones that have only played a few games. If he stays I will be happy as long as we get a striker in sharpish!

Nowt in the Chron about it.

No news on the official site at the moment so apart from the local rag in plymouth saing he's set to sign more based on a journo putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 we have a little lack of evidence Like anything else I will believe it when I see it

We are going to make them on a computer just like in that film "Weird Science" only they are going to have smaller teeets as they would get in the way when the players try to chest the ball down, although having said that it would probably improve some of our players chesting ability if they did have some norks.

We are going to get our players from the youth and reserve team as well as supplimenting these with players from other clubs via the transfer system and bosmans, same as we have over the past few seasons. Fingers crossed we might be able to flog one or more of these players whilst under contract to generate additional funds so that we would be able to bring some more players in, same as the other 80 or so clubs in the football leagues that aren't backed by billionaires or can't generate massive funds off the pitch.

Having a bit of stability and laying foundations to build upon is something we haven't tried over the past 10 years or more, please god can we try it sometime soon?

We are going to get our players from the youth and reserve team as well as supplimenting these with players from other clubs via the transfer system and bosmans, same as we have over the past few seasons. Fingers crossed we might be able to flog one or more of these players whilst under contract to generate additional funds so that we would be able to bring some more players in, same as the other 80 or so clubs in the football leagues that aren't backed by billionaires or can't generate massive funds off the pitch.

And like 80 other clubs we will achieve nothing. Relying on drab journeymen and those kids who don't get snapped up by bigger fish, our luck will eventually run out and we will get relegated.

And that will be that.

And like 80 other clubs we will achieve nothing. Relying on drab journeymen and those kids who don't get snapped up by bigger fish, our luck will eventually run out and we will get relegated.

And that will be that.

Are there any suicide hotspots in Oldham? Perhaps one could sneak to the top of the Civic centre and make the great leap into the unknown.

Are there any suicide hotspots in Oldham? Perhaps one could sneak to the top of the Civic centre and make the great leap into the unknown.

Why does describing what WILL happen if we go down a certain road involve being sucidal?

People on here seem to prefer realism. Well-you got it.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Why does describing what WILL happen if we go down a certain road involve being sucidal?

People on here seem to prefer realism. Well-you got it.

Actually, when cutting your own wrists, it's always better (well, for want of a better phrase) to cut DOWN the wrist rather than across the wrist. It's far quicker despite popular opinion.

Actually, when cutting your own wrists, it's always better (well, for want of a better phrase) to cut DOWN the wrist rather than across the wrist. It's far quicker despite popular opinion.

I don't know about you, but I have no intention of cutting my wrists over a bunch of substandard footballers.

Edited by Corporal_Jones