Trotman Going - We Really Are A Joke!

I don't know about you, but I have no intention of cutting my wrists over a bunch of substandard footballers.

Well I wouldn't even consider taking a prescription drugs overdose. Man, lots of people think you just slip away when you do that but that couldn't be more further than the truth. See, they mess with your insides y'know... so you're in complete agony for quite a while before passing out. Yeah, most definitely not the best way to go.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, when cutting your own wrists, it's always better (well, for want of a better phrase) to cut DOWN the wrist rather than across the wrist. It's far quicker despite popular opinion.

Thats right, remember kids, "Down the street not across the road"

I know. But nothing has happened yet. When the Lookers comes down I'll accept that one step in the right direction has taken place.

Not just because I sit in there but why knock it down now? The club generates income from the bar and catering in there which would be lost if they knocked it down. I would also rather wait until we have the plans in place to start the full development, we haven't the money to build the new stand until the full development starts. I can see us being in the Lookers next season too.

And like 80 other clubs we will achieve nothing. Relying on drab journeymen and those kids who don't get snapped up by bigger fish, our luck will eventually run out and we will get relegated.

And that will be that.

You must have missed my question earlier.

Who have we sold then Corp?

As for drab journeymen, the nucleus of our side so far this Season has contained the likes of Lee Hughes; Craig Davies; Neal Eardley; Neil Kilkenny; Michael Ricketts; Ryan Bertrand; Sean Gregan; Andy Liddell; Mark Crossley etc. Are these the guys (the majority of whom are full International players) who you mean and what exactly do you expect from a Club that survives on gates of around 5000?

Personally, looking at the facts, we are spoiled by the quality of player that we are allowed to sign. The fact that they do not play to a decent standard (at home) is a totally different point.

The "drab journeymen" that we've signed presumably would include Reuben Hazell; JP Kalala and Mark Allott who IMO have done pretty well. I'll give you John Thompson though.

Come on man - back up your moans with a bit of reasoning to justify your "woe is me" style of post.

As for drab journeymen, the nucleus of our side so far this Season has contained the likes of

So these are your foundations;

Lee Hughes - costly suspension

Craig Davies; a maverick

Neal Eardley; overrated

Neil Kilkenny; on loan - gone

Michael Ricketts; not wanted

Ryan Bertrand; on loan -gone

Sean Gregan; Injured, unlikely to be seen again

Andy Liddell; ditto

Mark Crossley; probably his last season.

No wonder the house looks like collapsing.

Edited by BP1960

Craig Davies; a maverick

Neal Eardley; overrated

Andy Liddell; ditto

You may have an opinion on their abilities and of course I know that some are no longer here but they are part of this Season's team and "drab journeymen" they aint.

If you want to read my post properly, my point was directed to Corporal Jones who frequently comes out with such ludicrous statements to justify his "we're doomed" outbursts (would Frazer have been a better Username perhaps? :)) but fails to back up his arguments.

Lee Hughes - costly suspension

Craig Davies; a maverick

Neal Eardley; overrated

Andy Liddell; ditto

Thought I was on a downer BP!!!! :hanged:

Lee Hughes - Natural finisher but a bit thick

Craig Davies; a maverick yes, but potetial match winner but again thick a pig pooh

Neal Eardley; Young, still learning his trade, great potential will eard the club £££££ one day

Neil Kilkenny; on loan - gone (Never should have signed him)

Michael Ricketts; (See Kilkenny)

Ryan Bertrand; (6 months was a waste of time if we were to be pack at square one come January)

Sean Gregan; Recapturing his form before his injury, still had the desire to tryn and play on despite not being fit. OUR one true leader when fit and oozes class when on song)

Andy Liddell; Not a winger anymore but could be very effective as a deep lying strike

Mark Crossley; Wouldn't have signed him personally.

You must have missed my question earlier.

Who have we sold then Corp?

As for drab journeymen, the nucleus of our side so far this Season has contained the likes of Lee Hughes; Craig Davies; Neal Eardley; Neil Kilkenny; Michael Ricketts; Ryan Bertrand; Sean Gregan; Andy Liddell; Mark Crossley etc. Are these the guys (the majority of whom are full International players) who you mean and what exactly do you expect from a Club that survives on gates of around 5000?

Personally, looking at the facts, we are spoiled by the quality of player that we are allowed to sign. The fact that they do not play to a decent standard (at home) is a totally different point.

The "drab journeymen" that we've signed presumably would include Reuben Hazell; JP Kalala and Mark Allott who IMO have done pretty well. I'll give you John Thompson though.

Come on man - back up your moans with a bit of reasoning to justify your "woe is me" style of post.

At this level of the game it is, more often than not, no longer a case of selling any more than of buying, as transfer fees are rarely involved when players move. All I know is that when we have decent players they rarely stay here for long, and no amount of sophistry can alter that fact.

As for expectation, I'm rapidly learning to expect nothing from this club in terms of football. I suppose we can limp on as we are, which very occasionally

works for some clubs but hasn't for us and won't, or we can pay the wages that quality players are going for and hope that increased revenue at the turnstiles-and the stadium redevelopment-will eventually justify the outlay. I fear that most Latics fans, for reasons that are understandable after the Chris Moore fiasco, are reluctant to countenance any financial gambling at all. But it means that we will never progress until the stadium is completely redeveloped (and, as said elsewhere, nothing at all has happened in that regard yet, planning issues aside)-and even here we have to hope that everything goes exactly to plan and that TTA are true to their word about extra funding for the playing side.

As for the players listed above, they may or may not be internationals and so on, but clearly need added quality. After all, the league table does speak for itself.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

You may have an opinion on their abilities and of course I know that some are no longer here but they are part of this Season's team and "drab journeymen" they aint.

If you want to read my post properly, my point was directed to Corporal Jones who frequently comes out with such ludicrous statements to justify his "we're doomed" outbursts (would Frazer have been a better Username perhaps? :)) but fails to back up his arguments.

I do not say we're doomed. I merely point out certain possibilities that seem to escape the notice of the happy clapprs.

I do not say we're doomed. I merely point out certain possibilities that seem to escape the notice of the happy clapprs.

Ah. So as usual, you fail to justify your earlier comments and resort to the old "happy clappers" argument. Who have we sold? Who are these "drab journeymen"?

I expected better.

And before you dub me a "happy clapper", as I said earlier, the fact that our players are failing to deliver is a whole different matter and a totally different argument.

Ah. So as usual, you fail to justify your earlier comments and resort to the old "happy clappers" argument. Who have we sold? Who are these "drab journeymen"?

I expected better.

And before you dub me a "happy clapper", as I said earlier, the fact that our players are failing to deliver is a whole different matter and a totally different argument.

This was where I first came in:

QUOTE(beag_teeets @ Jan 28 2008, 13:18 PM)

We are going to get our players from the youth and reserve team as well as supplimenting these with players from other clubs via the transfer system and bosmans, same as we have over the past few seasons. Fingers crossed we might be able to flog one or more of these players whilst under contract to generate additional funds so that we would be able to bring some more players in, same as the other 80 or so clubs in the football leagues that aren't backed by billionaires or can't generate massive funds off the pitch.

And like 80 other clubs we will achieve nothing. Relying on drab journeymen and those kids who don't get snapped up by bigger fish, our luck will eventually run out and we will get relegated.

And that will be that.

You'll note the post I was replying to when referring to drab journeymen.

Guest sheridans_world

We are going to get our players from the youth and reserve team as well as supplimenting these with players from other clubs via the transfer system and bosmans, same as we have over the past few seasons. Fingers crossed we might be able to flog one or more of these players whilst under contract to generate additional funds so that we would be able to bring some more players in, same as the other 80 or so clubs in the football leagues that aren't backed by billionaires or can't generate massive funds off the pitch.

And that will be that.

You still say we are a selling club.

Who have we sold?

Something that really puts the arguments of the doom mongers into context is the entire premise of this thread.

One solitary, uncorroborated and highly speculative story in a local rag linking their local team with one of our players and including an entirely fictional transfer fee... that is how this thread started.

And yet within a few posts Trotman is as good as sold, we're selling off all our family jewels, and our entire future outlook is bleaker than it has ever been.

Football is full of possibilities, both good and bad. But far from the "happy clappers" ignoring the negatives, it all too often seems to be the doom mongers who ignore the positives - and who are all too keen to ignore the TRUTH when they jump onto a story that they can twist to their viewpoint. (The TRUTH in this case being WE AIN'T SOLD NOBODY YET!)

Edited to add: Surely Corporal, if your over simplistic view of the football world were true, "that" would have been "that" about ten years ago? And yet we're still here!

Edited by garcon

And that will be that.

I know. But why do you assume that those coming in will be drab journeymen when besides John Thompson (and possibly one or two more) that hasn't been the case recently?

Do you honestly see the players that I listed above (ie the nucleus of this Season's team) as drab journeymen? I agree they haven't performed as a team every week but at the time, you must have been excited by some of the signings/ emergence from the reserves?

If not, then I really do think you are setting your expectations a little high. Like I say, the fact that they aren't perrforming consistently as a Team is a different matter.

We will see soon who the new signings and outgoings are.

They will give an indication as to the path the club is intending to take as the manager has now stated new players must be the ones he wants and committed to the club.

Any outgoings will also indicate if the main assets are to be sold off.

Edited by BP1960

We will see soon who the new signings and outgoings are.

They will give an indication as to the path the club is intending to take as the manager has now stated new players must be the ones he wants and committed to the club.

Any outgoings will also indicate if the main assets are to be sold off.

We're trying to get rid of Gregan apparently!

Is that an Exclusive ?

Mate at work was at Oldhams youth team before he was released and joined Rochdale.

Knows a few of the lads in our first team squad from his time here.

Said we're trying to get rid of Gregan as he's on a massive 8k a week.

You still say we are a selling club.

Who have we sold?

As I've already explained, I never used the words selling club. In a very recent post, though, I did explain that we might as well be when the better players are rarely retained. (This is actually a worse situation than being a selling club, as these players depart without the club receiving anything in return.)