Trotters to deepdale

Neil will not be signing for plymouth but will move closer to home and go to Preston North End! watch this space

was told by a friend who was at the Leeds game in the directors box, with a Preston scout. That they were planning a bid.But he said they thought they could get him for £200,000.

was told by a friend who was at the Leeds game in the directors box, with a Preston scout. That they were planning a bid.But he said they thought they could get him for £200,000.

Silly to sell him, offer him a bigger contact to stay, Latics need to build a team of young prospects like him, not never ending loanees.

It's just been confirmed to a mate at Boundary Park that Trotman is not playing tonight and the talk is that he is at Deepdale discussing terms.

So it looks like it was part of the Jarrett deal!

I for one am furious that at a time when we need on or two nice aqcuisitions to maybe push on in a bid for the playoffs we get rid of arguably the lynchpin of our defence.

The excuses will be out in force about us having to sell as we didnt want another situation where he could wait until summer and leave for next to nothing through a tribunal but when all is said and done and excuses trotted out (sorry no pun intended!) the club cant have any excuses and have only got themselves to blame, he should have been tied down late November at the latest. Lets face it, we'd seen enough by then to know that he was one to take a punt on we could have had him tied down for next to nothing anyway, as he would have been happy enough just to know he was going to have a contract as a professional footballer for the next few years - performance related bonuses and we're laughing!

This just sums us up!

Gutted and annoyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he does indeed go it is frustrating to lose a player as good as Trotman. But if we've got a decent deal that includes a nice lump up front, a sell-on clause and ideally some instaments on appearances then we have to accept that it is good business.

The money in Trotman's deal might just swing a deadline deal for a striker, and/or give us a little more room for maneouvre in the summer.

Deeply frustrating, but fully understandable.

This just sums us up!

It does, but at the start of this season Trotman was viewed by many as a sub at best wasn't he? To allegedly get half a mill for him after he's had a handful of decent games, even though he has shown massive potential, is hardly a terrible deal. When Gregan returns we're back to Gregan Stam in central defence which was what we expected at the start of the season, plus we have 500 grand to play with.

Is this post too positive for my first one? :unsure:

Edited by Chorley Latic

It does, but at the start of this season Trotman was viewed by many as a sub at best wasn't he? To allegedly get half a mill for him after he's had a handful of decent games, even though he has shown massive potential, is hardly a terrible deal. When Gregan gets back we're back to Gregan Stam at the back whihc was what we expected at the start of the season, plus we have 500 grand to play with.

Sounds like common sense to me,and sound financial management.Shezz will be able to bring in another 3 players and good ones at that.Trotman will go on to be a star if he continues his progress no doubt.

Taking nothing away from Trotman at all by saying this, centre halves at this level relatively easy to find.As we have seen with Hazell.We have to take the money now while we can look what happened before .

Good luck Neil

Robert

500,000. doubt it very much knowing OAFC, if Porter was worth 700,000 last january, and that is for a striker who ws banging in the goals, i cannot see a defender in league 1 going for half a mill. we will get 200,000 tops and that will be without a sellon clause!

But I am prepared to eat my words

It does, but at the start of this season Trotman was viewed by many as a sub at best wasn't he? To allegedly get half a mill for him after he's had a handful of decent games, even though he has shown massive potential, is hardly a terrible deal. When Gregan returns we're back to Gregan Stam in central defence which was what we expected at the start of the season, plus we have 500 grand to play with.

Far too positive!!!

I totally appreciate the points made but nobody knows when / if Gregan will be fit and if he does get fit, this time next year when his contract is up I would be suprised if he got another one. In the meantime we are left with 2 Centre halves, one of whom is one of the most injury prone players the club has had in years (that's not saying I don't rate Stammy because I think he's great, but it never lasts that long).

Trotman leaves tonight and what defensive cover do we have? None. We only have 2 fit centre backs at the club and with my nervousness about Stams injury record I can't help but think this is going to screw us over, ok so it may give us a bit more cash for a striker, but if we end up with no defence then we'll need to be scoring 3 and 4 a game to win matches, it's a fine balance and just when I was confident we'd got one problem area nailed (the back four) we give away one of our finest assets!

As angry as I may appear here my may I just point out now my anger is not in any way aimed at any other posters views!!

.We have to take the money now while we can look what happened before .

But what happened before needn't have happened again if only the owners or whoever it is who sorts these things (Hardy, Shez, whoever) had pulled their fingers out of their ar5e5 3 months ago and sorted it to prevent this happening.

Then at least we would have been in a position to demand daft money and see who'd pay it or tell other clubs where to stick it!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This club makes me so mad at times!!!

It's just been confirmed to a mate at Boundary Park that Trotman is not playing tonight and the talk is that he is at Deepdale discussing terms.

So it looks like it was part of the Jarrett deal!

I for one am furious that at a time when we need on or two nice aqcuisitions to maybe push on in a bid for the playoffs we get rid of arguably the lynchpin of our defence.

The excuses will be out in force about us having to sell as we didnt want another situation where he could wait until summer and leave for next to nothing through a tribunal but when all is said and done and excuses trotted out (sorry no pun intended!) the club cant have any excuses and have only got themselves to blame, he should have been tied down late November at the latest. Lets face it, we'd seen enough by then to know that he was one to take a punt on we could have had him tied down for next to nothing anyway, as he would have been happy enough just to know he was going to have a contract as a professional footballer for the next few years - performance related bonuses and we're laughing!

This just sums us up!

Without knowing the true situation you can't blame anyone (and shouldn't anyway). Maybe there were talks but Neal and his agent asked to wait, or maybe they were in the process of talks (contract talks can take awhile for both sides to agree) when the bids come in, you're guessing about what both sides were thinking.

Personally I think selling Trotman now is probably a wise move. How many times over the past few years have we had players come into the team for a season or so, be raved about being the next big thing, and linked with moves away for big money, only for them to lose form and interest die down? I'm thinking about the rumours around Eardley, Taylor - even Andy Holt I seem to recall!

At this moment in time, we're (mostly) a selling club, and need regular investment to keep going - getting money in on transfer fees makes us much more secure long term.